ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,337 Times in 6,024 Posts

Ozzy HMH 1981

New to me at least although it looks like it's been around for a few years...

This rare piece of film was recorded by Philthy Animal Taylor's (Motorhead's drummer) dad This is footage from the infamous Port Vale Heavy Metal Holocaust gig 1st August 1981. This part of the film shows Ozzy Osbourne making his way to the stage. After Lemmy makes his introduction he hits the stage.

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/heavy...holocaust.html

Another stab at using a football ground as a venue for a hard rock festival , Metal was all the rage in the early 80s , but not every promoter got it right, in this case the crowd was estimated at 20- 25,000, as another event wasn't held its fair to guess that this event may have lost money- although the arean looks pretty full in the photos we have saen . The PA was supposed to have reached new heights in amplification - rated at over 100,000 watts. Its a fucking monster as you can see in the pics below ....

Originally Black Sabbath were supposed to co-headline with Motorhead, but pulled out in early July due to ' recording commitments " to be replaced by the Ozzy Osbourne Band. Promoter John Curd was less than impressed " They originally approached me to do the show and the only thing I can say is that the next time they appear in England will be in court."

Elderly local residents objected to the festival ( fearing an invasion of the be-denimed hordes , being murdered in their beds etc, ) and attempted to get it banned , taking out an injunction after the local council allowed the event to go ahead. The injunction was dropped after the promoter, Straight Music , cannily offered the old folks a free day trip to Blackpool on the very day that the event was to take place. This they readily accepted and the show went ahead.

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Remember 'DO NOT PAY MORE' than $10 for a festival ticket!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:57 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,554 Times in 3,443 Posts

LOL "Heavy Metal Holocaust". The Shoah by power-chords!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Hah yeah I don't suppose they would call it that these days.

On a related point I see Ozzy is about to do another farewell last ever retirement tour.

Looking at his setlist that he's playing I think there is likely to be one song after 1991 and it was 1995. It's easy to forget that's now 23 years ago plus even at his slow recording rate - 4 studio albums, over 40 songs but not one of them worth playing.

I don't disagree with him but still...

Also note Sharon Osbourne at the start of the video, just how fucking frumpy that woman was back then dressed like someone's fat grandmother at a rock festival.

Now imagine that same woman shitting in the foyer of a 4* hotel because they are refusing to serve any more booze to a paralytic Ozzy while she screams trying to get the waitress sacked.

If smartphones had been around in those days it would have been a bit more difficult for her to project the complete fantasy persona she puts out there on mainstream TV nowadays...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,279 Times in 4,710 Posts

It's just too bad there's not an actual pro-shot video of this show. I can't believe nobody ever thought they should have an official video recording of Randy Rhoads. Granted, in 1981 nobody was obviously thinking "well this guy is going to be dead within a year because a coked up pilot did something stupid", so they probably thought they had plenty of time for filming. Even so, it's practically criminal that one of the best guitarists ever doesn't seem to have a single official live video in existence (apart from that 4 song thing they filmed in some TV studio in New York)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It does seem a bit odd they didn't think of filming it just to recoup any losses, it was a solid lineup with both Ozzy and Black Sabbath but I suppose it was before the widespread advent of VHS/Beta home video, same reason why Oakland 81' wasn't filmed in the entirety, or at least wasn't properly saved...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post

On a related point I see Ozzy is about to do another farewell last ever retirement tour.

Looking at his setlist that he's playing I think there is likely to be one song after 1991 and it was 1995. It's easy to forget that's now 23 years ago plus even at his slow recording rate - 4 studio albums, over 40 songs but not one of them worth playing.

Also note Sharon Osbourne at the start of the video, just how fucking frumpy that woman was back then dressed like someone's fat grandmother at a rock festival.

Now imagine that same woman shitting in the foyer of a 4* hotel because they are refusing to serve any more booze to a paralytic Ozzy while she screams trying to get the waitress sacked.

If smartphones had been around in those days it would have been a bit more difficult for her to project the complete fantasy persona she puts out there on mainstream TV nowadays...
    I saw Sharon on some lame daytime TV talk show here a couple years ago and she just made me wanna vomit. It's interesting that some of the more popular TV hosts that seem bubbly and cheery are horrendous cunts to their fans and industry people around them backstage. Rachael Ray is another vodka-soaked bitch apparently...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    It's just too bad there's not an actual pro-shot video of this show. I can't believe nobody ever thought they should have an official video recording of Randy Rhoads. Granted, in 1981 nobody was obviously thinking "well this guy is going to be dead within a year because a coked up pilot did something stupid", so they probably thought they had plenty of time for filming. Even so, it's practically criminal that one of the best guitarists ever doesn't seem to have a single official live video in existence (apart from that 4 song thing they filmed in some TV studio in New York)
    To be fair in 1981 people in the UK at least didn't routinely buy video tapes, if you had a VCR you rented them. The MTV thing hadn't really happened so it was only super big bands that recorded shows for cinema releases. That's my memory of it, I may be talking shit as I was a very very young child...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,279 Times in 4,710 Posts

Good point. Sometimes I actually forget that it wasn't that long ago that damn near every moment of every fucking thing wasn't filmed or videotaped by one means or another. But at the very least, Ozzy might have filmed enough to release individual song clips to MTV (US version started in 1981, not sure when it started in UK or Europe) like Van Halen did in 79 & 81 (and other bands did similar before the whole "concept" video idea became trendy.)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-17-2024 @ 01:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,481 Posts

Blog Entries

I have a memory of seeing a picture of Ozzy and Sharon in some magazine right after they got married way back when - it may well have been a wedding photo, or a photo from the reception - and I also have a memory of thinking at the time that she looked like Ozzy's mother...just a frumpy woman, as you said. This must have been...1982? 1983? Whenever they got married.

Were I to go see Ozzy now - which I wouldn't, because he has been knackered for far too long for me to be bothered - if the setlist was restricted to material off of Blizzard and Diary with a 1/2 dozen Sabbath standards thrown in, I wouldn't feel the least bit let down. I enjoyed some of the stuff he did post-Diary through to No More Tears, but I haven't had an impulse or a craving to hear any of that material in over a decade. And I have no use for anything he has done post-Tears.

I suppose far as Sharon goes, she has kept the Ozzy Osbourne machine rolling on and lucrative in a manner that is far more financially successful than many of Osbourne's contemporaries can claim for themselves. I mean, you haven't seen Ozzy scrounging around playing 2,500 seater theaters. That she did so at the expense of Ozzy's image and credibility...well, I don't get much of a feeling that Ozzy himself cares much one way or the other these days.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    To be fair in 1981 people in the UK at least didn't routinely buy video tapes, if you had a VCR you rented them. The MTV thing hadn't really happened so it was only super big bands that recorded shows for cinema releases. That's my memory of it, I may be talking shit as I was a very very young child...
    I mean, back in the late 1970s/early 1980s, there were relatively few rock bands that had recorded specific concerts for actual cinema releases. And, as you say, MTV was just getting started - and at that time nobody knew that MTV would take off the way it did - and back then circa-Blizzard when it was first released Ozzy's solo career wasn't looked at as a sure thing, either. So why would anybody in 1981 spend the money to properly film an Ozzy solo concert? As you say, in 1981 it probably was the case that most homes didn't even have VCRs...or even cable tv, when you came down to it.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Were I to go see Ozzy now - which I wouldn't, because he has been knackered for far too long for me to be bothered - if the setlist was restricted to material off of Blizzard and Diary with a 1/2 dozen Sabbath standards thrown in, I wouldn't feel the least bit let down. I enjoyed some of the stuff he did post-Diary through to No More Tears, but I haven't had an impulse or a craving to hear any of that material in over a decade. And I have no use for anything he has done post-Tears.
    Even No More Tears was a Motley Crue level of song writing in that you have 2 or 3 songs and 7 fillers.

My point for what it's worth is that Ozzy is portrayed as having a 50 year career but as far as I'm concerned Bob Daisley, Randy and Jake E Lee created his whole career over a 3 year period at the start of the 80s and he and his unpleasant wife managed to spin those plates for his whole solo career.

I say this as a huge fan of those first 3 albums and appreciate the influence of Sabbath on everything.

Also there is the random inexplicable factor of it all.

For example he seems to be doing 'I Don't Want to Change the World' almost as a closer and setlist.com says he's done it 330+ times over the years.

Taking a step back it's difficult to work out why that song is any better or worse than another 30 other Ozzy songs. Which leads us to Paranoid, written and recorded in a few hours as an emergency filler. You don't say. I so don't like that song, I haven't for my whole musical life. Back in the 80s when Ozzy's band was at it's peak even if he wasn't, it was like adding insult to injury as after doing the absolute minimum length of show he could get away with 70 minutes or so, he would wheel out that dirge and fuck off asap.

The tired rolling out of Paranoid makes Jump look good. It has all the class of getting out a vacuum cleaner at a party to make people absolutely sure they know they are no longer welcome and should get to fuck.

I don't know who made the always always end on those rule but it's a dumb one particularly when it comes to Paranoid. At least in the case of Jump some of the audience were there when it was a hit.

If they had one iota of class the Osbournes would have taken Bob Daisley out on this last tour as a tiny thank you for making them.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 07-31-2018 at 09:18 PM.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Even No More Tears was a Motley Crue level of song writing in that you have 2 or 3 songs and 7 fillers.

My point for what it's worth is that Ozzy is portrayed as having a 50 year career but as far as I'm concerned Bob Daisley, Randy and Jake E Lee created his whole career over a 3 year period at the start of the 80s and he and his unpleasant wife managed to spin those plates for his whole solo career.

I say this as a huge fan of those first 3 albums and appreciate the influence of Sabbath on everything.

Also there is the random inexplicable factor of it all.

For example he seems to be doing 'I Don't Want to Change the World' almost as a closer and setlist.com says he's done it 330+ times over the years.

Taking a step back it's difficult to work out why that song is any better or worse than another 30 other Ozzy songs. Which leads us to Paranoid, written and recorded in a few hours as an emergency filler. You don't say. I so don't like that song, I haven't for my whole musical life. Back in the 80s when Ozzy's band was at it's peak even if he wasn't, it was like adding insult to injury as after doing the absolute minimum length of show he could get away with 70 minutes or so, he would wheel out that dirge and fuck off asap.

The tired rolling out of Paranoid makes Jump look good. It has all the class of getting out a vacuum cleaner at a party to make people absolutely sure they know they are no longer welcome and should get to fuck.

I don't know who made the always always end on those rule but it's a dumb one particularly when it comes to Paranoid. At least in the case of Jump some of the audience were there when it was a hit.

If they had one iota of class the Osbournes would have taken Bob Daisley out on this last tour as a tiny thank you for making them.
    Which, if it makes a difference, I agree generally with...certainly in terms of the Paranoid/Jump comparison, inasmuch as I never cared for Jump (even when it was first released: it's just not the type of track I wanted to hear from Van Halen) personally, but it became such a massive hit it is pretty much inevitable it is played every time Van Halen or Roth take the stage for a full set. I'm not quite as dismissive of Paranoid as I am of Jump, although I'd definitely say there are many more Sabbath tunes - even off of the Paranoid album - that I'd rather hear, but like Jump with Van Halen, Paranoid is just one of those Sabbath tracks that everybody knows. I quite enjoyed your vacuum cleaner analogy though: (opening bars of Paranoid are played)"okay, everybody, do you wanna get CRAZY?! ?!!? well, get crazy while you're heading toward the exits making your way to the the parking lot, because the show is ending!!!!"

Doubtless, as you said, Ozzy's solo career was made off the back of the first two albums with Randy...with Daisley writing the writing the lion's share of the lyrics. Some of BATM was good (although I'm not exactly pining to hear, say, You're No Different or So Tired live these days...though I wouldn't mind hearing Now You See It, Now You Don't). Ultimate Sin was...uneven. I liked No Rest For The Wicked, which DID make No More Tears a bit of a let down. After that, Ozzy's "creative" career (in that Ozzy didn't really come up with any of the music - how in the fuck Ozzy now has sole songwriting credit for the BATM album is a mystery - and you can always tell during the 1980s which lyrics Ozzy DID come with because they're weaker/more generic than the Daisley ones) was only just barely worth listening to once when those post-Tears albums were released, much less hearing now live.

I tend to doubt Daisley is going to be invited by the Osbournes out for a last tour: if the Osbournes had an iota of class to begin with, they wouldn't have screwed him out of what was rightfully owed to him in the first place (they won't even utter a word about him in terms of just giving him verbal credit for his contributions, doubtless because they know that would be an admission that would help Daisley in a potential future lawsuit), and then attempted misdirection by throwing that photo of Ozzy, Randy, Sarzo and Aldridge on the jacket sleeve of Diary.

Success tending to amplify character deficiencies rather than correct them.

Thread Information