X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
    At 64, he looks a heck of a lot better than a lot of folks much younger... Dave and the swimsuit models were all paid to be there and look pretty by the promoter. That's what people in the entertainment industry do.

I have no desire to relive 14/18/21... the dues were paid and life went on!!
    What? You don't want to relive waking up hammered and hungover and needing a little toot of the devil's dandruff to get up and going in the morning to get to work?
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• ZahZoo
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
      What? You don't want to relive waking up hammered and hungover and needing a little toot of the devil's dandruff to get up and going in the morning to get to work?
      In simple terms, I don't want to relearn nor relive the hard lessons I learned back then... Lucky to have survived.
      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• TongueNGroove
        Head Fluffer
        • Apr 2004

Does this look like a sad picture of old age..?

He looks like Steve Martins cooler older brother. Dave, don't you go dyin' on me!

By the way, I thought he sounded great in that panama video you posted. One thing we know for sure, dave is not a studio hack. Everything he sang in the studio he can STILL sing live. Well, except for a few extra high squeels maybe... But that is to be expected.
        -We have enough youth. How about a fountain of "Smart"?

-If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
          I find it amazing all the original members of VH are not only alive but seem to be rather healthy. Them boys drank a lot of booze, snorted a lot of coke, and smoked a lot of cigarettes, and stuck their dicks in contaminated holes. Still around and can still play. Dave isn't on oxygen being rolled around in a vegetable state.
          And pot. Dave, if not others (most likely Alex), contaminated a few holes...

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
            I dont get all the hate regarding Dave's vocals.

Aside from a little more yelping - shit he's been doing since YFLM - his vocal delivery hasn't been all that different since then. While I do agree he was singing good on the 07-08 tour - again not very different. Sure the squeals and screams are long gone and they were gone in 07-08 as well, with exception to the odd classic scream here and there.

So all this hating on Dave these days I dont understand. Perhaps its the culture of hating. Lol

His singing on California Girls at this event was actually pretty good.

Want to really hear a singer actually struggle to get through a song? Check out Paul Stanley these days.
            I'm sure a lot of it is a mixture of 2 factors

1) Singing is now judged by how good a live show blasting out sounds once recorded on a phone and then listened to on a phone speaker. A live rock show vocal performance sounds completely different when it's very loud which is kind of the point.

2) It's then compared to miming. All the fucking time. It's a shock at this point to hear someone not mime - all the biggest acts are miming all the fucking time. Go and laugh reading about the amazing 'performance' of Beyonce or Madonna as they mime and dance along to a track at a VMA show. It's a joke.

The only issue I have with Roth's singing are his choices to change the original melodies, personally at this point I like an odd flat note coz then I know it's real.
            Last edited by Seshmeister; 09-10-2018, 09:55 PM.

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Also I don't know the background of those girls but they don't appear to be plastic or photoshopped or unreal.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

In simple terms, I don't want to relearn nor relive the hard lessons I learned back then... Lucky to have survived.
                Haha! I bet you could tell the grandkids some stories.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                  Also I don't know the background of those girls but they don't appear to be plastic or photoshopped or unreal.
                  Plastic costs extra but didn't Roth say it was usually the girl next door he ended up with?

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Terry
                    I made that mental concession at the time, because he didn't have a good night in Tampa 2012: he was basically 50/50, and even that is probably being a little kind on my part. To be sure, anybody can have an off night, and if a singer is sick it's not as easy for the singer to play through that as, say, a bass player.

But he didn't get any better after that tour. The Tokyo Dome recordings were...clearly not doctored post-performance, and one wishes maybe they had been. I saw 3 full 2015 gigs online prior to tickets going on sale for my area, and it was more of the same from Dave. And these recent one-off solo appearances he has done...he's just getting worse to my ears. Like I said: Paul Lynde wardrobe choices, lack of hair, hammy Wacky Uncle Dave between song patter...I'm used to that from him. But if those three things are all he has left in his arsenal - if he can't just sing the tunes properly - I dunno…

Am I asking too much? Am I just being pissy about it? Should I just take a pill, chill out, be happy he is still around and go to the shows even when his vocals sound bad to me? Am I taking it all too seriously? Should I just not give a shit and enjoy whatever is left of it?

You've been taking it all too seriously for a decade almost Terry. But I love your takes on things. The guy's in the band ( what there is of it ) don't think that much about it. Dave just got old. It sucks but it's just that simple. There are thing he could do with his voice to clean it up. He doesn't seem to care IMO. That's a shame really. Because if he did these benifit shows and sounded better people wouldn't rip him as much for doing them. But it is what it is. Roth got old, and lazy on a stage. I'd love a new album like A.D.K.O.T. myself. They can stay home though. If the singer has no desire too sound decent why tour ? Honestly if Ed does something again I'd be surprised if Dave is involved.
                    Last edited by 78/84 guy; 09-11-2018, 04:59 PM.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by 78/84 guy
                      You've been taking it all too seriously for a decade almost Terry. But I love your takes on things. The guy's in the band ( what there is of it ) don't think that much about it. Dave just got old. It sucks but it's just that simple. There are thing he could do with his voice to clean it up. He doesn't seem to care IMO. That's a shame really. Because if he did these benifit shows and sounded better people wouldn't rip him as much for doing them. But it is what it is. Roth got old, and lazy on a stage. I'd love a new album like A.D.K.O.T. myself. They can stay home though. If the singer has no desire too sound decent why tour ? Honestly if Ed does something again I'd be surprised if Dave is involved.
                      It's still entertaining to watch Dave work a room. Yeah he's looking like Uncle Manny now but who cares. I'm glad he's not 350lbs with a beer in his hand and cheeto dust and grease stains on his shirt.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                        Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

I'm starting to think a lot of you are closet Van Hagar fans. Lol

What happened to the Army here?

So much whining about Dave going on.
                        =V V=
                        ole No.1 The finest
                        EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• ZahZoo
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

All the whining is just symptomatic of middle age testosterone fall off... Lot of folks get pissy when an old guy shows em how it's done. Fuckin old guys rule!!
                          "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Grit
                            Roadie
                            • Oct 2011

People are acting like he looks like Keith Richards or something. He looks pretty damn good for his age. He keeps his body fit and is having fun. Live and let live.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by src
                              Yeah but i bet he can still get the pussy.
                              Dave at his age today can get more pussy than the fat Dorito addicted teens can. There was some special force guy on Joe Rogan bitching that they can't find enough young people in shape to recruit. Shit. Ruined by the game controller. Wait until sex robots become affordable. The youth will really go to sludge because there will be zero incentive to look good.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                                I actually dig his current look. Of course he's old, they can't all choke to death on their vomit, or shoot smack and OD in a Paris bar restroom stall before they're 35 and remain young forever. He looks like a cool older man and knows his limits, but still has a good time...

I don't have to relive being 14/18/21/30 forever vicariously through my rock star idols...
                                And when I say Dave's limits, I mean he's down to three girls a night...

Comment

Working...