Dick The Bruiser
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    02-05-2021 @ 09:51 PM
    Status
    Thanks

The Accurate Story Behind the Star Spangled Banner

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

LOL pretty biaised account there. I like how he starts at the British attack on Washington skipping over the minor point of America starting the whole thing by attacking Canada.

Strangely no mention of that line in the 3rd verse 'No refuge could save the hireling and slave, From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave'...

Also should an 'accurate' story not include where the music came from?

The US and Britain have two of the crappiest national anthems out there.

Last edited by Seshmeister; 09-11-2018 at 11:43 AM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Dick The Bruiser
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Thanks for being a total and complete jackass, sesh. Your class and common sense can be measured on a shop teachers left hand.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

You started a thread called 'The Accurate Story Behind the Star Spangled Banner' and then posted a video that wasn't accurate.

What's that got to do with 9-11? You are derailing your own thread.

5. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

ZahZoo (09-12-2018)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    You started a thread called 'The Accurate Story Behind the Star Spangled Banner' and then posted a video that wasn't accurate.

What's that got to do with 9-11? You are derailing your own thread.
    Isn't the Star Spangled Banner an old British drinking song where Francis Scott Key's poem replaced the original lyrics. Makes sense. Early Americans used to hang in pubs and drink a lot. That's where the real politicking was done.

7. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Seshmeister (09-12-2018)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Isn't the Star Spangled Banner an old British drinking song where Francis Scott Key's poem replaced the original lyrics. Makes sense. Early Americans used to hang in pubs and drink a lot. That's where the real politicking was done.
    Exactly it was a song from an English Gentlemans club about drinking so how the guy in the video can present the story behind the Star Spangled Banner and not even mention where the original song came from is bizarre. Does he not have google?

As regards the tune itself, it's well known for being difficult to sing well because of the range of the notes. The British one is a plodding dirge and I don't agree with any of the lyrics being an atheist republican.

The French and Italians nailed it.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Yeah but what's cool is Hendrix could play the same song in the UK and in the US. He didn't have to learn two songs for God Save the Queen and The Star Spangled Banner.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think you confusing it with '"My Country, 'Tis of Thee" which uses the same crappy music as God Save the Queen.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jacksmar View Post

Thanks for being a total and complete jackass, sesh. Your class and common sense can be measured on a shop teachers left hand.
    You realize those three guys are probably dead from lung cancer by now, right? Because the BCE told them it was "safe" to breathe at the site within days after the attack. And then denied them health care when that proved to not be the case.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 3,449 Posts

Well, thank fucking God some cult-of-personality wannabe pastor from some God-awful hypocritical church in some Red State comfortably-middle-class-white-peopleville chimed in with his two cents on the National Anthem! I mean, it's not like he's overgeneralizing, misrepresenting, and blatantly spouting lies-by-omission regarding historical facts or anything! But for the record, I as a vet do stand and place my hand over my heart when the anthem is played at any God-awful, shitty sporting event I might be attending. Maybe jacksmar does too, and gets a secret boner over it if he's not too wasted like me. But his story is nonsense even in his faux-dramatic context.

Four American soldiers were killed at the bombardment of Fort McHenry. Really? I wager more guys died from dehydration, overwork-exhaustion, the clap, and alcohol or drug related issues the previous month than died in that battle! Four guys killed was a smoke break at Bastogne, Stalingrad, or even the Battle of Lundy's Lane and thousands of other god-awful shitty battlefields mankind has had to endure since the dawn of picking up a bone and bashing the head in of a guy in the tribe that seditiously fucked your girlfriend. In any case, his history is a bit jerked-off. I don't feel like going through it bit by bit again, but clearly this guy is an idiot.

The British were on the "defensive"? They saw an opportunity to go on the "offensive"? Yeah, um, the British were involved in the Napoleonic Wars with a large part of their army pinned down elsewhere prior to 1814. But the British did initiate offensive actions and spoiling attacks, such as conquering Detroit because the commander of the American garrison was a massive, festering vagina who surrendered. The war was whoafully mismanaged and poorly fought by both sides to some degree, and should never have been fought to begin with because both sides were each-others' largest trading partners I know a bit because I like history, and the city I live in, like Washington, DC, was also burned to the ground by those "rum, lash, and sodomy" British professionals. Yes the war had some benefits, such as forcing the British to recognize American autonomy and it did finally unify the country by the end after being incredibly divisive, far more so than Vietnam, in the beginning. But, the writer of the poem was a racist, who owned slaves and penned that stanza about "slaves" to hit at the British Navy's "Black Colonial Corp" of escaped slaves that joined the British.

It's sort of hard to condemn NFL players for kneeling when that is brought up? Isn't it?

And the whole masturbatory patriotic fervor tone is pretty shit IMHO. You know, in Buffalo, NY, we have a park called Delaware Park with a nice golf course on it. there is a very large boulder at one point, underneath that boulder is a mass grave of around 350 U.S. Army soldiers that died of malnutrition and exposure to freezing winter temperatures after their fucking asshole, pile of shit politically appointed commanding officer abandoned them to their fate. Does this pastor give a flying fuck about that? Do the (mostly white, middle class) golfers chucking with their seven-irons? Do they stand at attention with hands-over-hearts and gleefully sing The Star Spangled Banner? Nope! They don't even fucking kneel with respect! It's rumored the park is haunted and your ball will roll of odd ways when you get too close to the grave. But, thank God this God-awful shitty pastor is so worried about people respecting the National Anthem while completely being ignorant and not giving a fuck about the generally shitty way not just black runaway slaves were being treated, but even the pissed-on, unlucky poor-sap recruits were. Does he give a shit about the hundreds of Canadians that were thrown out of their houses into a cold winter as the U.S. Army burned what is Toronto? Which was the main reason why the British military was pursuing their own God-awful campaign of rape, extrajudicial murder, and plunder along the American Mid-Atlantic seaboard resulting in the burning the D.C., and their being halted at the gates of Baltimore but what amounted to a peoples war of national liberation by the Baltimore citizens that fortified their city and were prepared to fight for as both civilians and soldiers.

Can't we get a better anthem? Like My Country, 'Tis of Thee? This Land Is My Your Land? Does it really have to be an awkward, faux-militaristic poem set to a British drinking song?
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 09-14-2018 at 02:17 PM.

13. Thanked Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

Seshmeister (09-15-2018)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

The star spangled banner is fine... just leave the lyrics out of it.

Dick The Bruiser
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Dick The Bruiser
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online