Status

Bret Michaels - "Every Rose" is today's "Freebird"

I think I'm going to throw up.....

http://www.suntimes.com/output/enter...-poison08.html

The song so many have covered

July 8, 2004

BY JEFF VRABEL Staff Reporter Advertisement

Finally, it can be said -- 2004 is the year of "Every Rose Has Its Thorn."

OK, yes, if you want to get nitpicky about it, 1988 was actually the year of "Every Rose Has Its Thorn." But 1988 is so 16 years ago. Since the dusk of the glam-metal heyday, rarely -- OK, never -- has such an era-specific, time-stamped single made such a left-field, mainstream, pop culture comeback.

Poison's quintessential breakup song of the glitzy '80s -- that lighter-waving weeper, occasional prom theme and karaoke nightmare -- is the Godzilla of the monster ballads, demolishing all others in its path (In the interest of fairness, we'll call Bon Jovi's "I'll Be There for You" its Mothra).

For some reason -- fate, karma, wistful nostalgia, the populace's collective ability to identify with cowboys singing sad, sad songs -- this "Rose" has bloomed in public far more often this year than expected. No less an image-conscious alt-rock hipster than Billy Corgan sang the tune -- and its, er, praises -- last year at a Second City benefit, where he admitted, "I have a soft spot for this song because it does mark a moment in time."

So why this song, of all the power ballads, and why now?

"The best way I can put this is: Slowly but surely, I think 'Every Rose' is becoming the 'Free Bird' of our generation," said Bret Michaels, lead singer of Poison. "I've heard this from just about every DJ. I'm like, 'Oh, OK,' but I'm not gonna fight it. 'Free Bird?' Well, that doesn't suck."

Michaels and Poison are preparing to spend their summer in the opening slot for Kiss' most recent reunion tour, which hits the Tweeter Center on Friday. It's further proof that there's always space in the summer shed schedule for throwback, fireworks-and-drum-solo rock shows, especially given this summer's thin touring lineup. (You'd rather drive out there to see 3 Doors Down and Nickelback?)

"We had planned on taking this year off when Kiss came knocking," Michaels said. "I called up C.C. [DeVille, Poison's lead guitarist] and said, 'How often are we gonna get a chance to go out on the road with Kiss?' This is one of the biggest stage spectacles I've ever seen them do. So we said, let's go have fun, have a good time, and when this is done I'll go back to the solo record."

That solo record is "The Other Side of Me," and for Michaels, that side wears a 10-gallon hat and boots. It's also the reason he's been hanging out with all those country singers. "My dad listened to a lot of Glen Campbell, Merle, Hank Williams Sr.," he said. "For me, [country] is a natural progression."

And despite its vintage, he's counting on a new, twangier version of "Every Rose" to provide the bridge, to explore the lucrative lands between rock and country even more, a la Kid Rock (newly country), Sheryl Crow (always vaguely countryish), Jimmy Buffett (country, then not, now country again) and even Kenny Chesney, a Buffett-esque country rocker with a taste for John Mellencamp covers and Caribbean-flavored vibes.

"It's the one song of Poison's that I wanted to take with me," Michaels said. "I got guys like Chris Cagle and Rascal Flatts into the studio, and I got a bunch of beer, and we took a bunch of swings with the song."

Whether it succeeds depends on whether Michaels and the guys get the words to come out right.
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Poison rules all.

But this song needs to stay in its rightful place, away from country. And to cover your own song?????
    Vaccinated with a phonograph needle one summer break
    Yeah, I kissed her on her daddy's boat and shot across the lake!

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Angry WTF?!?!

Bret Michaels - "Every Rose" is today's "Freebird"
    BWWWWHAHAAHHAHAHAHA!!!!! Tell that to the people of Alabama you washed up 80's DLR wannabe homo!

Farm Hand
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Michaels is full of shit!
    "If anyone came here hoping to hear Sammy Hagar Van Halen, there's the fucking door, man!" Ralph Saenz, Atomic Punks

"Carpe Mammarium"

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm considering letting Lynyrd Skynrd out of Hell to kick Bret Michaels ass.
    Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Quote Originally Posted by Sockfucker View Post
    I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I just saw a decomposing Ronnie Van Zandt pass my window holding a Louisville Slugger with a dixie flag on one side and Bret Michaels spraypainted on the other.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What's he doing in Iowa? I guess Satan didn't give him a map
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    LMFAO!

Bill & Ted did it best.

I guess Brett doesn't understand irony...

Cheers!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    16 years ??

Fuck... time flies..
    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!

is fuckin' yer girlfriend
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by TwoFoolsAMinute
    I just saw a decomposing Ronnie Van Zandt pass my window holding a Louisville Slugger with a dixie flag on one side and Bret Michaels spraypainted on the other.
    Hey....

Was he wearing a Neil Young shirt by any chance?
    "Honey, my shirt got itself torn up. My shirt tore itself on that stripper's hand, and I need it to be sewed up for the show."
    "No problem, Dave, no problem. Say hello to Fluffy."
    "Fuck you, Fluffy."
    "No, no, you're going to upset Fluffy."
    "I ain't saying hello to no stuffed bear."
    "You know, now that I think about it, it's going to take a little longer to sew up that shirt than I was thinking."
    "Hi Fluffy, how you been?"
    "Now that I'm thinking of it even more, it's going to take half the time, Double D, Diamond Dave! Would you hold Fluffy?"
    "N--- yeah."

Wayne L.

Thumbs down

Comparing the 80's power ballad Every Rose Has Its Thorn by Poison who defined 80's rock for all its worthlessness to the classic rock anthem of the 70's Freebird by the legendary southern rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd is insane.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well, I have a sort of litmus test coming up for this....

I'm taking my 10 year old son to his 1st concert on the 25th to see KISS, which will also mean that I'll have to sit through the Poison set as well....

The 3 times I've seen Skynyrd in concert, I never get bored hearing that song live, it's really an incredible live song....

I have a sneaking suspicion that I won't get that same feeling when "Every Rose" comes on....

The feeling I will more likely get when it comes on is either to 1) take a piss or 2) get more beer....

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't like either band, so I don't give a shit, but I know Michaels is full of shit regardless.

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That boy is smoking crack if he thinks Every Rose Has Its Thorn is the Freebird of today. Personally I could go the rest of my life and not hear Freebird and it would be ok with me...but it is THE anthem of rednecks all across the South. People hear that tune and loose their minds... If you want to get your ass beat down, go into a bar..doesn't matter what music their playing, and scream Freebird SUCKS!! You'll probably leave the place feet first, and I'm being totally serious. Think of it like this...some people hold that song in such reverence that you'd think it was in the hymnal at church...right next to Amazing Grace.

Bret had better watch how he says that in Nashville too...lots of Skynyrd fans up there as well.

Look, I'll pay ya for it!
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Panamark
    16 years ??

Fuck... time flies..
    No shit. That's exactly what I was just thinking...

Thread Information