Last Online
    Today @ 03:57 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,554 Times in 3,443 Posts

Noel Monk Whoring It all out in October

An auction of classic memorabilia set for October 13th, the link is below:

https://www.antimusic.com/news/18/Se...llection.shtml
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. 3 users say thank you to Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (09-29-2018),Diamondjimi (10-05-2018),Terry (09-29-2018)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,337 Times in 6,024 Posts

Jesus if a Xmas card has bidding starting at $750 then there must be a lot of money out there for this stuff...

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-17-2024 @ 01:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,481 Posts

Blog Entries
    A whole slew of various concert t shirts from many of the CVH tours. Looked like there was one defunct effects unit. Most of it looked like various scraps of paper, documents and the like. Some tour programs.

I shelled out a few bucks for bootlegs - audio and video - in the mid 1990s through the early 2000s. when I was just getting my collection started. Outside of recordings of actual shows, I don't have much interest in other CVH-related stuff. I suppose some diehard Van Halen fans might.

About the only things I saw of interest to me would have been the concert t shirts and tour programs. Although I'd rather just find a local...what, clothes designer or t shirt artist, give them the design or picture I wanted, pick out the fabric I wanted and have them make it for me. I can't see paying $100 for a 35 year old concert t shirt.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

If those t-shirts really are now worth $100 each he must be annoyed he didn't just keep 1000 back.

I'm doubtful, so you buy a tshirt which anyone can recreate online in 5 minutes but you have the amazing advantage of being able to wave your certificate of authenticity around?

The gold disks feel more special but the whole thing about something like that is having your name on them - if it's someone else's name who gives a fuck. If I was him that would be the last things I sold.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Also was it not the case that concert t-shirts back in those days were really shitty quality?

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:11 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,078 Times in 1,996 Posts

Blog Entries
    T-shirts back then were far higher quality than the crap sold today...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ah I was basing that on my 1986 Ozzy T-Shirt.

9. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (09-30-2018)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    With the concert t shirts back then, it was sort of the same as today, in that you got what you paid for. You had lower-end prices that had cheaper fabric. As Roth had mentioned in his CFTH book, there were tons of t shirt bootleggers back then at every show with knock-offs that were roughly half the price of the official merchandise.

None of my concert t's from back then are still around today. Bought one for the 2008 tour and one for the 2012 tour, both from the official stands inside the venue. Both cost...I dunno, maybe $40 each? Both were made with what felt like a pretty sturdy cotton fabric. My 2008 shirt I pitched out last year after it had too many holes in it. My 2012 shirt I now wear when I mow the lawn. So, yeah, as Sesh said, what's the point of buying a vintage t shirt for $75 or whatever...what are you going to do? Keep it under glass? Whenever you wear it out, are you going to have the certificate of authenticity with you so you can prove it is vintage? Who gives a shit? Especially since you can get whatever vintage design you want put on a shirt anyway. You can go into a Target or Walmart and get a...I dunno, once I saw a rack of t shirts in Target with the Led Zeppelin 1977 tour / Swan Song logo on them for ten bucks a pop.

And I'd agree that the gold records would only have some meaning if you were the artist who made the album, or the producer or whatever. According to Monk, he wasn't even really involved with the recording of the albums, so as to why he kept them for so long is kinda...weird. But at least Monk HAD a fairly substantial involvement with the band back in the day when they were recorded.

Some of the old tour programs were of a mild interest to me, but even then I wouldn't pay more than, say, $30 for them. And only then if they were in fair to good condition. And only then if it was a tour I actually saw.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I was wearing my 2008 t-shirt yesterday but as you say it's the kind of thing I would wear to mow the lawn if I did that sort of thing.

To be fair it's probably been washed now once a month since then so 120 times and is fine. My memory is that mid to late 80s official t-shirts had a kind of rough surface that faded much quicker than that. Tbh I didn't buy much official merch as it seemed a waste of precious beer money. In fact looking back the reason I bought the Ozzy shirt was I was too young to buy booze at the time.

It's odd to me seeing 18 year olds wearing facsimile Appetite for Destruction shirts, no one was wearing Beatles shirts in the 80s...
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 09-30-2018 at 09:40 PM.

12. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (09-30-2018)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    My 2008 shirt was probably the result of the same thing, where I wore it quite a bit as causal wear the first couple of years, less so for the subsequent several years. It probably had a hundred + washes before it started to get holes in it as well, so for $40 I suppose I got whatever money's worth one could expect out of it.

A lot of those 80s concert shirts didn't hold up as well in terms of the decals getting washed away. The roughness of the decals or whatever it was. That was part of the cache of those shirts back then, too: you didn't WANT them looking pristine.

The 80s was just a weird time, fashion-wise, anyway. The decade started out sort of okay. From about 1985 onward, it devolved into these really loud neon pinks and greens, bright turquoises...parachute pants with lots of zippers...rapper gear with the high-top sneakers with the laces undone...guido active wear...

The mid 1980s was when I began to gradually but steadily check out of pop culture in terms of caring about fitting in: if fitting in meant wearing baggy, multicolored loose pants, using hair mousse and watching tv shows like Alf, even in my mid teens I decided I didn't want to join THAT fuckin' club.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    The mid 1980s was when I began to gradually but steadily check out of pop culture in terms of caring about fitting in: if fitting in meant wearing baggy, multicolored loose pants, using hair mousse and watching tv shows like Alf, even in my mid teens I decided I didn't want to join THAT fuckin' club.
    I took that to extremes, I just blanked out almost all pop in the late 80s good or bad.

I help out playing guitar in a cover band that do a few charity gigs each year and it's ridiculous the holes in my pop music knowledge - I get sent the setlist and I have to go on Google to hear them for the first time.

Recently it was 'Portugal. The Man' and 'Constant Craving' by k.d. Lang. I had no idea, I would have been too far down the black hole of Vain or fucking Jetboy or some shit

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    My 2008 shirt was probably the result of the same thing, where I wore it quite a bit as causal wear the first couple of years, less so for the subsequent several years. It probably had a hundred + washes before it started to get holes in it as well, so for $40 I suppose I got whatever money's worth one could expect out of it.
    As I've said, I have and still do occasionally, buy that stuff but we bought a $16 t-shirt the other $24 was additional gig merch tax over and above usual sales profit and taxes on an $8 t-shirt straight to the VH profit for the tour.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 09-30-2018 at 10:44 PM.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-21-2021 @ 06:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks

One item is signed by "Michael Sobolewski" which makes it a bit special.

Last thing I bought was a signed Limited Edition box of treble boosters from Brian May, that I actually use. Last Roth related thing was the "Alae" promo Box. I don't even remember in which box it's stored in the basement. So I guess, I won't bit here..

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

17. Thanked DavidLeeNatra for this KICKASS post:

Terry (10-01-2018)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    I took that to extremes, I just blanked out almost all pop in the late 80s good or bad.

I help out playing guitar in a cover band that do a few charity gigs each year and it's ridiculous the holes in my pop music knowledge - I get sent the setlist and I have to go on Google to hear them for the first time.

Recently it was 'Portugal. The Man' and 'Constant Craving' by k.d. Lang. I had no idea, I would have been too far down the black hole of Vain or fucking Jetboy or some shit
    Jetboy.

Now THERE'S a name I haven't heard in literally a couple of decades.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-11-2024 @ 11:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,990 Times in 3,229 Posts

Blog Entries
    The sad reality of this is Noel Monk probably is selling this stuff because he needs the money. Who sells their wedding guest album? It's one thing to have your house full of a bunch of stuff that is just taking up room and the importance of it has worn off and you would rather have the extra space. Well the guy never made the money with Van Halen he hoped to make but I think he did a good job of managing them even though it was the first band he ever managed. Probably Monk's greatest accomplishment was getting VH out of their WB contract. His common sense and street smarts paid off there. Public relations with the WB secretarial staff.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:11 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,078 Times in 1,996 Posts

Blog Entries
    We all keep things of value to us at the time we acquire them... life changes, evolves along with priorities. At some point, stuff loses personal value and just becomes something taking up space. You're faced with 2 options... throw it away or pass it on to someone else who values it. Been doing a bit of this myself and it's rewarding... you declutter your personal space, cast off past baggage from the past and can make a few bucks off it!!

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-15-2024 @ 01:55 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Images from some of the piles of documents he is flogging contain some good information.

Amusing fan letters from desperate teenagers, asking if DLR can be 'rented' for birthday parties (there were a couple in amongst the small selection of images); office memos that - I think - suggest that in '81 they were perhaps going to open for the Who on their '82 stadium tour (discussions with / about The Who on band meeting memos), and that on the FW tour U2 were a possible opening act (Monk's handwritten note next to printed text "possible opening acts": U2, New Wave band ... notes to call "Dr. Roth" who has a matter to discuss that is "mucho important" (Noel's secretary presumably transcribing Roth Snr's actual words) ... haha.

I'm not that interested in the t-shirts or memorabilia. 'Just the Facts', etc.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VHscraps View Post
    Amusing fan letters from desperate teenagers, asking if DLR can be 'rented' for birthday parties
    The admins still get sent those occasionally here although I doubt they are teenagers now...

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-20-2021 @ 05:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,978 Times in 1,378 Posts

Noel monk opens his vault...

Here ya go you dirty ol pissflaps.

https://www.backstageauctions.com/ca...len/ac/0/1338/

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:57 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,554 Times in 3,443 Posts

I'm not sure Monk opened his vault as much as he cleaned out his attic...

Thread Information