X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
    Oh that's maybe what used to be the record industry who thought that way. The bottom line is a good band is a good band. I have friends in Seattle who will go see their favorite musicians and usually they are playing at a winery or some place like that. Not that any of the artists are getting rich doing it but there is some talent out there.
    Some of the best shows I ever saw were in Providence, Rhode Island in the late 1980s/early 1990s at local places like The Living Room and The Rocket (later known as Club Babyhead), and half of those shows weren't even name acts. Just local bands who were tearing it up.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
      Oh that's maybe what used to be the record industry who thought that way. The bottom line is a good band is a good band. I have friends in Seattle who will go see their favorite musicians and usually they are playing at a winery or some place like that. Not that any of the artists are getting rich doing it but there is some talent out there.
      Totally. The old, antiquated major label way of thinking in terms of acts on tour, that some of these older acts possibly still buy into because they've been working it that way for so long. Van Halen falls into that category. Mostly because the Van Halens never had to play a lot of State Fairs and the like: they were mostly always able to play arenas or large ampitheaters.

That was the sort of surprising thing about the reunion, in that while the Van Halens probably equate a tour as being a series of large arenas, Roth has had to do his fair share of Ribfests/Clubs/State Fairs/smaller venues as a solo artist from 1999 to 2006. Surprising in that Van Halen have stuck to such a traditional live setting. I was hoping the Café Wha? gig would be the start of the band maybe mixing up the arenas with some smaller venues. Personally, I'd dig seeing Van Halen in a three to five thousand seater. No arena stage production. No elaborate light show. No oversized video screens. No bullshit. Just the band and their music.
      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Susie Q
        Veteran
        • Jan 2004

Someone has to pull the plug on that trainwreck. I'm surprised people aren't asking for refunds. If I were the band members, I'd be totally embarrassed. They are trying hard to keep their shit in check, I will hand that much to them. Pearcy is gonna end up like Jani Lane.

I try like hell to keep things all fluffy bunnies and pink daisies. But brutal truth smacks me in the ass all the time.
        ~Susie Q 2009

Comment

Working...