Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

CRAIG GOLDY: How I Ended Up Co-Writing 'Lady Luck' With DAVID LEE ROTH

From Blabbermouth today.
    more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/cra...avid-lee-roth/

CRAIG GOLDY: How I Ended Up Co-Writing 'Lady Luck' With DAVID LEE ROTH

Former DIO guitarist Craig Goldy spoke to Australia's The Rockpit about the experience of co-writing the song "Lady Luck" with David Lee Roth on the VAN HALEN singer's 1991 album "A Little Ain't Enough". Asked how the collaboration came about, Goldy said: "Well, I was a songwriter for Warner Brothers for about six years. I would submit my songs to be considered by other famous musicians to be utilized on their albums. Then, one day the phone rings and my girlfriend answers it. Well, you'd think it was the president of the United States on the other end, judging by the look on her face. So I pick it up and a voice on the other end says, 'Hey, man, Dave Lee Roth here. Love your shit, man. Can we get together and write some stuff? Here's my producer.' And at the time, it was Bob Ezrin, who had worked with the likes of PINK FLOYD. So I'm, like, hang on — Dave Lee Roth and Bob Ezrin want me to write some tunes with them.' So they give me an address and I get there and I'm playing them ideas, and Dave's, like, 'That's badass, man,' and he's grabbing my arm and patting my back. [Laughs]"

He continued: "So [Dave] invited me to his home every day for three months — and he's such a nice guy. He would always ask how you were doing today and pat your back like a brother would to another brother and ask if you needed anything. Then we'd head down into the basement and he had all the VAN HALEN road cases down there, which were just so cool. So, the studio was also the rehearsal room, so he'd get the band to learn the ideas we had put together — and, lucky for me, 'Lady Luck' made it through the sifter and on to the album."

Goldy added: "You know, Dave is a real smart guy too. After every writing session, it would just be us two out on the patio watching the sunset and talking. On the second level, he had a pool with all those rock-climbing grip things all around it, and he'd get me to try climb all around the pool, but there was this one bit that was tilted too much and I would always fall off [laughs], but he could do it. He was such a funny guy, but there is so much more to him as well."

Goldy joined DIO during the "Sacred Heart" tour in 1986 after original guitarist Vivian Campbell was fired from the band following a contentious business disagreement with the singer and Ronnie's management.

Goldy's new band, DREAM CHILD, released its debut album, "Until Death Do We Meet Again", on September 14 via Frontiers Music Srl. Joining the guitarist in the group are Wayne Findlay (MSG) on guitar and keyboards, Simon Wright (AC/DC, DIO, OPERATION: MINDCRIME) on drums, Rudy Sarzo (QUIET RIOT, OZZY OSBOURNE, WHITESNAKE, DIO) on bass, and Diego Valdez (HELKER) on vocals.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Grit (10-08-2018)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Are there any bands that Rudy Sarzo isn't in?

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Are there any bands that Rudy Sarzo isn't in?
    By the end of the 1980s it was to the point where if I saw one more video of Rudy Sarzo licking his bass in yet another band, I was ready to get my sniper rifle, climb the tower and start shooting: he wasn't THAT great of a bass player, fer fuck's sake!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

5. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (10-05-2018)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Does Sarzo still hold the record for being credited on the cover for albums he never played on?
    Quiet Riot II (1978)
    Diary of a Madman (1981)
    Metal Health (1983)
    Whitesnake (1987)

There's probably another Quiet Riot album later on since he was in and out of that band so many times, but I'm not completely certain about that.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

His height makes him popular with singers...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    By the end of the 1980s it was to the point where if I saw one more video of Rudy Sarzo licking his bass in yet another band, I was ready to get my sniper rifle, climb the tower and start shooting: he wasn't THAT great of a bass player, fer fuck's sake!
    Rudy is a pretty good player actually. If you can play bass in Yngwie Malmsteen's band you are pretty damn good because Yngwie plays the bass on his albums and he plays bass like he plays guitar. Damn fast. Plus Rudy's Spector signature bass is killer!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Rudy is a pretty good player actually. If you can play bass in Yngwie Malmsteen's band you are pretty damn good because Yngwie plays the bass on his albums and he plays bass like he plays guitar. Damn fast. Plus Rudy's Spector signature bass is killer!

Yeah, Sarzo is a good rock bass player, and he looked good onstage back in the day.

Even that being said, in terms of the totality of rock bassist, Sarzo STILL ain't all that and a bag of chips.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-21-2021 @ 06:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Bob Ezrin...nope...Rock

Selective amnesia?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

Heisenberg
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-23-2020 @ 03:08 AM
    Status
    Thanks

[QUOTE=DavidLeeNatra;1935589]Bob Ezrin...nope...Rock

Selective amnesia?

/QUOTE]

Bob Ezrin was the initial producer for the A Little Aint Enough album.

Demos were done with Rocket Richoote before they got Jason Becker.

There are several interviews with Steve Hunter, Jason Becker, & Craig Goldy all mentioning Bob Ezrin as producer.

Shes My Machine was one of the tunes. Recorded with Bob Ezrin, then Bob Rock, then ultimatly Nile Rodgers.

Monty Byrom the writer of Shes My Machine ( as well as Dont Piss Me Off), mentioned it in an interview posted right here on this Roth Army site.

I noticed this years ago & made posts about it but most folks dont care about real trivia funfacts & so forth.

Many assumed the same obtuse elemental conclusion as you. Being that Bob Rock has the same first name as Bob Ezrin they must've confused them. Since two different well known high profile producers with the exact same first name ( BOB) evidently is too much of a coincidence for most of DLR's simpleton fans to fathom. You just cant believe it. What are the odds. Two producers Bob Ezrin & Bob Rock both accosiated with the A Little Aint Enough album. Too much coincidence for your little narrow minded oblivious brains I guess.

Thread Information