Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Reveals 2019 Nominees

billboard.com
    Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Reveals 2019 Nominees
    Joe Lynch
    10-09-18

Early Tuesday (Oct. 9) morning, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame announced the nominees for induction into the 2019 Rock Hall class. Def Leppard, Devo, Janet Jackson, John Prine, Kraftwerk, LL Cool J, MC5, Radiohead, Rage Against the Machine, Roxy Music, Stevie Nicks, the Cure, Todd Rundgren, Rufus & Chaka Kahn and the Zombies are all potentially up for induction at the March 29, 2019, ceremony in Brooklyn, NY, at Barclays Center.

This group of nominees finds us looking at more than a few familiar faces, as nine of the 15 artists have been nominated before. Hip-hop megastar LL Cool J and electronic pioneers Kraftwerk have been nominated four times before each, and influential U.K. rockers the Zombies have seen three previous nominations.

First-timers include hard rock hitmakers Def Leppard, the solo work of Fleetwood Mac's Stevie Nicks, new wavers Devo, art-rockers Roxy Music, folk hero John Prine and genre-hopping iconoclast Todd Rundgren.

While the RRHOF Class of 2019 is decided by an international body of more than 1,000 voting members, fans can impact the vote by going to RockHall.com and casting a ballot (one a day) for the artist they think needs to be in the Hall's ranks. Voting starts Oct. 9 and goes through Dec. 9, 11:59pm ET. The top 5 artists the public selects will comprise a 'fans' ballot' that is tallied along with the other ballots. Fans can also vote in-person at the Rock Hall in Cleveland.

Tickets for the 2019 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony will go on sale in January.

Kramer is hoping the fourth time is the charm.

MC5 co-founder Wayne Kramer says he's "holding out" on the venerable rock troupe's fourth nomination for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction. "I think we should wait 'til the fifth (nomination)," Kramer tells Billboard. "On the fifth nomination, the 5 gets the nod."

The guitarist would, of course, be happy enough for the fourth time to be the charm, but after previous ballot inclusions for the classes of 2003, 2017 and 2018, he's not holding his breath following news that the group was in the induction mix again when nominees were announced Tuesday morning (Oct. 9).

"I don't know what to say about this. We seem to be like a dog chasing his tail," Kramer explains. "It is a level of recognition. It's always nice to be recognized for your work, so I wouldn't complain about it in that way. And I guess it's good for business; If you win an Academy Award, then next to your name they always say 'Academy Award Winner,' 'Grammy Award Winner,' 'Rock and Roll Hall of Fame member...'

"But it doesn't mean that much to me. It certainly doesn't affect my personal life. We'll just see what happens."

Now, if ever, would certainly seem to a prime time for the MC5 to be inducted. Kramer is on the road this year with MC50, an all-star troupe featuring musicians from Soundgarden, Faith No More, Fugazi and Zen Guerilla that's celebrating the 50th anniversary of the recording of the group's iconic 1969 debut album Kick Out The Jams. He's also publish an insightful memoir, The Hard Stuff: Dope, Crime, The MC5 & My Life of Impossibilities. So visibility is high, and so, it seems, is regard for the iconoclastic band.

"The experience that I've had on this tour so far has been massive crowds at every event. Even shows that I thought would not be well-attended have been," says Kramer, who's also the co-founder of the Jail Guitar Doors organization, which brings instruments into prisons. "We've had incredible crowds, and the enthusiasm and the passion the fans are expressing for the band has been humbling. I never realized how many people out there love the MC5. We're an overnight success -- it only took 50 years!"

Public voting for the Rock Hall class of 2019 begins at 11:59 p.m. Tuesday here. The induction ceremony will be held March 29 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, with ticket details TBA.

The MC5 formed during 1964 in the Detroit suburb of Lincoln Park and broke up during 1972 after three studio albums. Only Kramer and drummer Dennis Thompson remain alive from the lineup, which also included Rob Tyler, Fred "Sonic" Smith (Patti Smith's late husband) and Michael Davis. Kramer has been hoping that Thompson would make some appearances on stage with the MC50, but so far that has not transpired. "He's agreed and then changed his mind three times so far, so I have no idea what Dennis is going to do," Kramer says. "The invitation stands. The band has ultimate respect for him and everybody loves him and we would all love to have him play. The ball's really in his court."

The MC50 has been recording all of its shows and may consider a live release, according to Kramer, while he predicts that "if everything goes the way I think it might go, then people might be open to writing and recording a (new) record." For now, however, he's focusing on the shows and the "unexpected joy" he's experiencing from the project.

"It's very much a continuation" of the MC5, Kramer says. "In a lot of ways it's the realization of the spark that happened 50 years ago at the Grande Ballroom in Detroit to have a band that produces these high-energy rock shows that completely blow people's minds, like it's come to fruition. And these guys wanted to do it because they themselves have carried the message of the MC5 all the years, the message of self-determination and self-efficacy and all things are possible if you put in the work. They all live by that message and they're playing their asses off and we're all having a great time, so I think they may want to keep going for awhile."

Ross Gilmore/Redferns via Getty Images

Rod Argent of The Zombies performs on stage at Wickerman Festival at Dundrennan on July 26, 2014 in Dumfries, United Kingdom.

After three previous nominations, Rod Argent is hoping it's finally the time, and the season, for The Zombies to be elected into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

The British Invasion group -- best known for its hits "Tell Her No," "She's Not There" and "Time of the Season" and the iconic Odessey and Oracle album -- made the Rock Hall's short list for the classes of 2014, 2017 and 2018. Now, with Tuesday morning's (Oct. 9) announcement that they're on the list for 2019 as well, keyboardist and co-founder Rod Argent tells Billboard, "It really feels like such an honor to be nominated for a fourth time in five years." And it will be even better if the group gets in this time.

"You have to think that after this number of times, it would be great -- it would be a dream, actually," Argent says. "When we got together in '61, you know, all our heroes were American and the life of the world that was rock 'n' roll and everything to do with it seemed so unattainable and so far away from our experience, we couldn't imagine it. That there might possibly come a time when we'd be considered in similar terms as those heroes, that's what we might never have believed.

"But we've had a terrific journey, and the previous three nominations are not something we counted on. We thought it's just brilliant people have seen fit to nominate us." Public voting for the Rock Hall class of 2019 begins at 11:59 p.m. Tuesday here. The induction ceremony will be held March 29 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, with ticket details TBA.

The Zombies' latest nomination finds the group still in an upswing from its well-received 2015 studio album Still Got That Hunger and last year's tour celebrating the 50th anniversary of Odessey and Oracle, which brought Argent and frontman Colin Blunstone -- who have been working together again for the past 18 years -- back together with original drummer Hugh Grundy and longtime bassist Chris White. Argent, Blunstone, Grundy and White are on the Rock Hall's list of Zombies who will be inducted, as well as late founding guitarist Paul Atkinson.

"One of the things we never wanted to do was just come back and rake over the embers and trade on old glories, if you like," Argent says. "We never wanted to do that. We're happy to play the whole catalog if that's what you want, but always within the context of getting energized and excited by something new. That's what feels real. It's a real privilege to be in the position at this stage in our lives of feeling that there's still things going on and still growing in some weird way. We're very lucky." He says that it also "feels about time now to start...writing and recording a new album as well," a process that has just started.

And Argent promises that if the Zombies are to be inducted into the Rock Hall, it will be free any of the interpersonal drama some of its contemporaries have brought to the ceremonies. "We are in constant contact with each other, really, as we have been throughout the years," he says. "We've always remained friends and on the same length -- all of us, always. So it would be nothing but a joy."
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Geezus.....

Def Leppard? Haven't made a good album since Rick Allen lost his arm.

Devo? Sure they probably deserve it. Definitely more than most others on this list.

Janet Jackson? Why? Because her brother made it in? She's not rock n roll.

John Prine? I guess you could call him sort of rock n roll. Probably somewhere between blues & country would be more accurate, but he plays guitar, which is more than I could say for half the people on this list.

Kraftwerk - OK, they influenced the whole "new wave" synthpop thing to make it in.

LL Cool J - For fucks sake..... I could see how Run Dmc or NWA could loosely be associated with "rock n roll", but we gotta draw the line with guys who yell over other people's records being considered hall of fame musicians.

MC5 - Way overdue. They would definitely get my vote. Kick out the jams, goddamn it.

Radiohead- Nope. Never got it. Never will. Hard pass

Rage Against The Machine - Holy fuck, have they been around for 25 years?? Sure I would vote them in before most people on this list. Just shocked that they qualify.

Roxy Music - never was a big fan, but their presence on the list doesn't offend me like some of the others.

Stevie Nicks - Seriously? She's already in as a member of Fleetwood Mac. Was her solo work really all that important? Can anybody remember anything other than "Edge of 17" or that cheesy ballad she did with Don Henley?

The Cure - Been around since 1979. I'd say it's about time they got in. Otherwise Robert might be really sad

Todd Rundgren - Probably more of a cult favorite. Not a big fan, but wouldn't be surprised if he made it in.

Rufus & Chaka Khan - "Tell Me Something Good" was one of my favorite songs when I was 8 years old, but I don't think that's enough to get them in.

The Zombies - You mean there's a British Invasion band from the mid 60s who hasn't made it in yet?? For fuck's sake, let em in before they drop dead. They weren't exactly on the same level as the Beatles, the Stones, the Who, or even the Kiinks, but they had some legitimate hits.

Overall, not the most stellar group of nominations.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-16-2024 @ 07:09 PM
    Status
    Thanks

My picks are The Cure, Stevie Nicks, Roxy Music and Def Leppard because I enjoyed their music at one point. I could care less about the others, but they will all eventually get in because everybody gets in the RRHOF...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Voting is open at rockhall.com

Thank you for voting for:
    Devo
    MC5
    Rage Against the Machine
    The Cure
    The Zombies

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:30 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,615 Posts

With the ceremony being in Brooklyn this year (and HBO looking for big ratings), I can see Jann Wenner pulling strings and LL Cool J getting in.

Devo should already have been in, ideally when the ceremony was in Cleveland. Maybe Kraftwerk opens the door for Depeche Mode. Likewise with Roxy Music for Duran Duran and the Cure for Bauhaus etc. Rundgren is a favorite here, he'll get a big fan vote. They have voting kiosks at the HOF near the new inductee displays.

The Cure is working on new music and has tour dates already planned for the spring. The HOF likes when induction coincides with new activity.

Still no Warren Zevon...

My votes

Kraftwerk
    Roxy Music
    Todd Rundgren
    The Cure
    Devo

My predictions

Def Leppard
    The Cure
    Devo
    John Prine
    Radiohead

Because I can, dammit!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-17-2018 @ 12:23 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Definitely Def Leppard. They put on great shows, and One arm Rick is an inspiration to drummers. To lose his arm and find a way to play music again. They get my vote.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

We're excited to officially welcome the following Nominees to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame:

The Cure
    Def Leppard
    Janet Jackson
    Stevie Nicks
    Radiohead
    Roxy Music
    The Zombies

Congratulations Class of 2019, we're looking forward to your Induction Ceremony on March 29th, 2019 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, NY.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Other than The Cure, this has to be the weakest group of inductees ever.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:23 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries
    Roxy Music in their heyday were more experimental than Zappa so go piss off with your suburbanite sexist Knack. Stevie Pricks is a token entry and Def Leppard probably due to all of this shitty MTV-era throwback propaganda.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    We're excited to officially welcome the following Nominees to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame:

The Cure
    Def Leppard
    Janet Jackson
    Stevie Nicks
    Radiohead
    Roxy Music
    The Zombies

Congratulations Class of 2019, we're looking forward to your Induction Ceremony on March 29th, 2019 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, NY.
    I've so spent my life just switching off from that music I just realised that even though she has sold over 100 million I literally couldn't name a Janet Jackson song. In fact I wasn't sure if she was alive, I think I got her mixed up with Whitney Houston or something...

I actually have concert tickets sitting here for a forthcoming RRHOL inductee, can you guess who?
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 12-13-2018 at 09:45 PM.

11. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (12-14-2018)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Roxy Music in their heyday were more experimental than Zappa so go piss off with your suburbanite sexist Knack. Stevie Pricks is a token entry and Def Leppard probably due to all of this shitty MTV-era throwback propaganda.
    The "suburbanite sexist" Knack aren't in the Hall yet either. They certainly deserve it more than most of the inductees this year, but it doesn't really matter because two of the 4 members are dead, so they wouldn't be able to play anyhow.

Roxy Music? I don't hate 'em, but I doubt I could name 5 of their songs.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    I've so spent my life just switching off from that music I just realised that even though she has sold over 100 million I literally couldn't name a Janet Jackson song. In fact I wasn't sure if she was alive, I think I got her mixed up with Whitney Houston or something...

I actually have concert tickets sitting here for a forthcoming RRHOL inductee, can you guess who?
    Liz Taylor...I mean, the Cure?

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Def Leppard won the fan vote, with Nicks second. Remember that inductees become voters, so maybe Def Leppard will vote for their influences or contemporaries...if they ever get nominated.

Mutt Lange was more responsible for the DL sound, do you put him in as a producer? That would be the same situation with Janet Jackson and Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis.

The omission of Todd Rundgren is getting some talk. Rundgren is pretty popular here, he's got two shows coming up in the the spring. Is his production work for others better than his own stuff? Runt finished third in the fan vote, Jackson in sixth.

Who gives the induction speeches? They usually pick someone current.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Liz Taylor...I mean, the Cure?
    Yeah their first gig here since 1992 - more a Xmas present for her I'm a bit ambivalent about a chubby middle aged goth at an outdoor show.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Reeves Gabrels is playing with the Cure, should be okay.

Gabrels played a small club near Toledo a couple summers ago but I didn't go. We saw him play with Bowie on the tour with NIN.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Gabrels was good on Bowie's "Sound & Vision" tour in 1990. Odd that they even did that tour since it was right in the middle of the whole "Tin Machine" thing, and they weren't playing any TM songs in the set. Think the whole tour was about promoting the Rykodisc remastering of the Bowie RCA 1970s catalog actually. Great show in any case.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Reeves Gabrels is playing with the Cure, should be okay.

Gabrels played a small club near Toledo a couple summers ago but I didn't go. We saw him play with Bowie on the tour with NIN.
    The Cure have not been The Cure since 1993. When Pearl Thompson and Lol Tolhurst left the band (because they knew F A T Bob was so fucked up) they lost their sound. Now they are a shadow of themselves like Tom Petty was with the Heartbreakers.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Now, that is a "bichin'" bass line

Thompson would tune down his bass a full step and played it like no other.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    The "suburbanite sexist" Knack aren't in the Hall yet either.
    The Knack were garbage. Pure corporate suburbanite garbage.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Just for you, Kristy.... the original studio recording of "My Sharona" in it's unedited 7 minute glory.....

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Corporate dog snot.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Status
    Thanks

The RRHOF just gets watered down more and more each year. It’s losing its mystique.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It had mystique?

It lost it's way a while back. Firstly it's clearly not a hall of fame for Rock N Roll. However you extend that term it can't include N.W.A. Change the name to the 'Contemporary Music Hall of Fame' or something.

I'm also very cynical about awards that charge the winners a lot of cash. I seem to remember that if you win you are expected to pay for a table for 10s of thousands of dollars or am I talking crap? Seems the music equivalent of buying a qualification online.

I think the Hollywood Walk of Fame is the same - maybe it's an American thing.

Ironically the only RRHOL induction I liked was the much criticized late one of Rush...and of course the Alex Lifeson Speech...

"They should have inducted the Hall of Fame into Rush"
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 12-18-2018 at 10:09 PM.

Charcoal Mellowed
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    I think the Hollywood Walk of Fame is the same - maybe it's an American thing.
    The way the Hollywood WoF works is someone has to pay a "sponsorship fee" of $40,000.
    for a star on the WoF - manager, agent. fan club - whoever.
    And then from wiki - "All living honorees have been required since 1968 to personally attend
    their star's unveiling, and approximately 40 have declined the honor due to this condition.
    The only recipient to date who failed to appear after agreeing to do so was Barbra Streisand,
    in 1976. Her star was unveiled anyway...."

So if someone doesn't have a star either no one wants to pay the 40K or the artist doesn't
    want to appear at the ceremony.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Reeves Gabrels got in with the Cure, even though he isn't on any of the albums. Kind of odd.

Seeing a bunch of clips come up on YouTube but haven't watched any yet.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Watched the RRHOF ceremony last night and the first thing I need to say is....

FUCK YOU STEVIE NICKS!!!

It's not bad enough that you made the most recent Fleetwood Mac tour into a fucking joke, but now you bring some fucking little boyband Disney puke on stage to sing Tom Petty's part on "Stop Dragging My Heart Around"??

Yeah, nice way to treat the memory of your so called good friend Tom. Not to mention rock fans.

STOP LEGITIMIZING THESE LITTLE NO TALENT FUCKS, FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!! I remember the good old days when bubblegum singers had a shelf life of 2 years or less and then they were forgotten. Not brought up on stage and elevated to the status of legitimate talent by those who should know better.

Moving right along then....

Janet Jackson (why the fuck was she there again?? ) is now as officially insane as the rest of her family. That's sad.... At least she didn't perform.

Neither did Radiohead, thank God. Apparently only two of them showed up.

The Cure sounded great, but Bob needs a makeover already.

In the geriatrics division, both Roxy Music & the Zombies looked like they were way up past their bedtimes, but they played well. Not sure how many original band members were there in either case.

And then there was Def Leppard. Joe Elliot sounded like shit. The rest of them were alright. Didn't play a single song from High & Dry, and Pete Willis wasn't even there, so they can fuck off.

Susanna Hoffs (who inducted the Zombies) is 60 years old now, but I would still Bangle the Hell out of her

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

That guy likely wasn't chosen by Stevie Nicks. HBO and the HOF committee do shit like that for ratings.

Thread Information