Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Gabrels was good on Bowie's "Sound & Vision" tour in 1990. Odd that they even did that tour since it was right in the middle of the whole "Tin Machine" thing, and they weren't playing any TM songs in the set. Think the whole tour was about promoting the Rykodisc remastering of the Bowie RCA 1970s catalog actually. Great show in any case.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Kristy
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
      Reeves Gabrels is playing with the Cure, should be okay.

Gabrels played a small club near Toledo a couple summers ago but I didn't go. We saw him play with Bowie on the tour with NIN.
      The Cure have not been The Cure since 1993. When Pearl Thompson and Lol Tolhurst left the band (because they knew F A T Bob was so fucked up) they lost their sound. Now they are a shadow of themselves like Tom Petty was with the Heartbreakers.

Comment

• Kristy
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Now, that is a "bichin'" bass line

Thompson would tune down his bass a full step and played it like no other.

Comment

• Kristy
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by FORD
          The "suburbanite sexist" Knack aren't in the Hall yet either.
          The Knack were garbage. Pure corporate suburbanite garbage.

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Just for you, Kristy.... the original studio recording of "My Sharona" in it's unedited 7 minute glory.....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Kristy
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Corporate dog snot.

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Mushroom
                  Commando
                  • Jul 2009

The RRHOF just gets watered down more and more each year. It’s losing its mystique.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

It had mystique?

It lost it's way a while back. Firstly it's clearly not a hall of fame for Rock N Roll. However you extend that term it can't include N.W.A. Change the name to the 'Contemporary Music Hall of Fame' or something.

I'm also very cynical about awards that charge the winners a lot of cash. I seem to remember that if you win you are expected to pay for a table for 10s of thousands of dollars or am I talking crap? Seems the music equivalent of buying a qualification online.

I think the Hollywood Walk of Fame is the same - maybe it's an American thing.

Ironically the only RRHOL induction I liked was the much criticized late one of Rush...and of course the Alex Lifeson Speech...

"They should have inducted the Hall of Fame into Rush"
                    Last edited by Seshmeister; 12-18-2018, 11:09 PM.

Comment

• silverfish
                      Foot Soldier
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                      I think the Hollywood Walk of Fame is the same - maybe it's an American thing.
                      The way the Hollywood WoF works is someone has to pay a "sponsorship fee" of $40,000.
                      for a star on the WoF - manager, agent. fan club - whoever.
                      And then from wiki - "All living honorees have been required since 1968 to personally attend
                      their star's unveiling, and approximately 40 have declined the honor due to this condition.
                      The only recipient to date who failed to appear after agreeing to do so was Barbra Streisand,
                      in 1976. Her star was unveiled anyway...."

So if someone doesn't have a star either no one wants to pay the 40K or the artist doesn't
                      want to appear at the ceremony.
                      Originally posted by sadaist
                      I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Very British...

Comment

• twonabomber
                          formerly F A T
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Reeves Gabrels got in with the Cure, even though he isn't on any of the albums. Kind of odd.

Seeing a bunch of clips come up on YouTube but haven't watched any yet.
                          Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Watched the RRHOF ceremony last night and the first thing I need to say is....

FUCK YOU STEVIE NICKS!!!

It's not bad enough that you made the most recent Fleetwood Mac tour into a fucking joke, but now you bring some fucking little boyband Disney puke on stage to sing Tom Petty's part on "Stop Dragging My Heart Around"??

Yeah, nice way to treat the memory of your so called good friend Tom. Not to mention rock fans.

STOP LEGITIMIZING THESE LITTLE NO TALENT FUCKS, FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!! I remember the good old days when bubblegum singers had a shelf life of 2 years or less and then they were forgotten. Not brought up on stage and elevated to the status of legitimate talent by those who should know better.

Moving right along then....

Janet Jackson (why the fuck was she there again?? ) is now as officially insane as the rest of her family. That's sad.... At least she didn't perform.

Neither did Radiohead, thank God. Apparently only two of them showed up.

The Cure sounded great, but Bob needs a makeover already.

In the geriatrics division, both Roxy Music & the Zombies looked like they were way up past their bedtimes, but they played well. Not sure how many original band members were there in either case.

And then there was Def Leppard. Joe Elliot sounded like shit. The rest of them were alright. Didn't play a single song from High & Dry, and Pete Willis wasn't even there, so they can fuck off.

Susanna Hoffs (who inducted the Zombies) is 60 years old now, but I would still Bangle the Hell out of her
                            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• twonabomber
                              formerly F A T
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

That guy likely wasn't chosen by Stevie Nicks. HBO and the HOF committee do shit like that for ratings.
                              Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

Working...