Member No
    Last Online
    02-05-2021 @ 09:51 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Gibson Guitars rises from the ledger

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/gibson-...om-bankruptcy/

Gibson Guitars set to successfully emerge from bankruptcy

Finally, some positive news for iconic guitar company Gibson as their devastating slip into bankruptcy is set to come to an end.

For over 100 years one of the forewords in the guitar industry was Gibson. Their iconic guitars have been played by some of the biggest rock stars all around the world and, for some considerable amount of time, it looked as though the company was in ruins having declared for bankruptcy.

Despite CEO Henry Juszkiewicz attempting to assure fans that the debt was run of the mill, he then suggested the situation was more likely an ‘internal coup’ in a bid to wrestle ownership. However, liquidation was soon confirmed as the reported $500 million debt took over and staff were made redundant.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Dick The Bruiser
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    02-05-2021 @ 09:51 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I know every guitar player here has a Gibson guitar story. Mine is simply I found one of those old Explorers that they sold in the 80s that were ridiculous from the paint jobs into the inconsistency in the necks. So what do you do with something like that?

Well this was the late 90s and I needed a guitar or two just to have in reserves. So I found one that had a pretty good neck and after making two mods; bridge and DiMarzio DP 100, I went to one of the local classic vinyl stores in Louisville, Kentucky. I had been told they had stickers from every band and you wouldn’t believe the Van Halen stickers I ended up with.

But,

I bought every odd KISS sticker I could find in the shop. I literally plastered the guitar with KISS; logos, band faces and such. So I brought the thing to our rehearsal den. I called it the ‘den of iniquity’. I took it out of the case with all the stickers on the damn thing: everybody flipped. I would pull it out at Jim Porter’s Emporium, the Thunderdome, even at the exhibition hall. Everybody wanted to get a picture of it, everybody wanted to play it, everybody wanted to buy it! LOL

It became the ‘KISS Destroyer’.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 05:59 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,283 Times in 1,501 Posts

Blog Entries
    Co-worker of mine recently offered to sell me an Explorer, because he wasn't playing much anymore. Wanted $500 for it. Had played it myself a couple of times. It's in pretty good condition, but I prefer Strat-style bodies because they're easier to play sitting down. His explorer isn't vintage, but everything about it hardware-wise and in terms of general wear is in good condition (some nice sounding stock pickups) but I did advise him to hold onto it if he could...only because with the state of the Gibson company at the moment. Plus, I told him $500 was a bit low, that he could ask for upwards of a thousand and it wouldn't be unreasonable.

Have played some Les Pauls way back in the day. Never owned a Gibson myself, but along with Fender the Gibson brand is certainly (or was) one of the two most enduring/iconic brands of electric guitar for decades.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:17 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,014 Times in 3,249 Posts

Blog Entries
    I’m a Fender guy. I always found Gibson’s quality to be very hit and miss and they seem to think having that famous name makes up for poor quality and high prices. For the money a Paul Reed Smith is a much better guitar. I’ve seen $3,000 Gibson guitars with unfinished frets. Unbelievable.

5. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (10-27-2018)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 05:59 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,283 Times in 1,501 Posts

Blog Entries
    I've had the same Charvel San Dimas since 1990. Got rid of all my other guitars years ago, then a few years back bought an Ibanez with a Floyd Rose when the Charvel started having problems. Ended up getting the Charvel's input jack replaced, and it works fine: everything else on it is still stock from 1990, including the pickup (one double coil in the bridge position, one volume knob, no tone knob).

Part of the reason I bought the Ibanez was that I always wanted a locking tremolo system. I was going to replace the 1990 Charvel with a new Charvel San Dimas with a locking tremolo, but 20 years on those were starting at 2 grand + , which I wasn't willing to spend since I don't play much anymore. The Ibanez is an RG series, and is a fine enough guitar for just under a thousand.

Funny thing is, after a couple of months, I left the Ibanez in the case and still tend to go for the 1990 Charvel when I do play, which isn't very often. I have more instances these days when I'll idly think about playing guitar than actually dragging it out of the case and doing it. Once every few months I'll play for a few hours or so, sort of just to see if I still can.

Before the Charvel, I owned an Aria Pro which I had totally customized. I'm sort of at the point where I'd like to get an acoustic guitar...probably a nylon stringed Spanish model...and do some playing where I'm not relying on volume or effects pedals, sort of just raw, basic stuff that you can't tart up by stepping on a Pro Co Rat.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:17 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,014 Times in 3,249 Posts

Blog Entries
    Our daughter is a classical guitarist. She play Manuel Rodriquez guitars. They bought up a bunch of nice wood and make their guitars in Spain. The prices vary according to how much work goes into making the guitar. My daughter has two. A basic model she started on and a more expensive one she plays now. Great classical guitars that are keepers. I have found buying cheap guitars is just a waste of money. You don’t have to get the most expensive but get something made by a reputable maker with less eye candy and it will serve you well.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,296 Times in 4,721 Posts

Hell, look at Willie Nelson. He's got that old beat up Martin guitar that's held together with bunji cords & duct tape and he still manages to make it sound great....

PFC Roth Army
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 08:54 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Willie has expert repairs done to keep it looking shitty.

PFC Roth Army
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 08:54 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Thread Information