Because I can, dammit!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-17-2018 @ 12:23 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen Movie

I saw the movie and thought it was done very well. Rami Malek should take home an oscar. The movie lead me down memory lane. I miss the music and have since revisited some classics. I wasnt a "OMG, I'm a obsessed Queen fan" back in the day, so wasnt up on trivia. While watching this movie, I learned some pretty interesting things. Deacon wrote a few hits, was quite a humble and quiet guy. It was Brian May who wanted audience participation song. It was Roger's idea to dress in drag for the "I want to break free" video.

If you are a fan and haven't seen it, get out there and watch it. You may find yourself wanting to watch it more than once. If you aren't a fan and watch it, you may end up downloading some Queen songs.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. 2 users say thank you to Susie Q for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (11-17-2018),Diamondjimi (12-01-2018)

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:10 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Howdee Suzie Q! It(s been a long time, nice to see you around.

I haven't seen the movie, and I think I won't, even if it is great, as you say it is.
    Basically, when they're about contemporary artists, I'd really rather not see biographic flicks, it's hard to see actors, actresses, be they as good as they are, perform somebody fucking great like Ray Charles or Freddie Mercury. They passed away not that long ago, and I prefer to keep them as they were in my memory.

That said, it's only my opinion, and I'm glad you enjoyed it.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Haven't seen it yet. Probably wait for it to hit the streams. However it has come to my attention that some of the Freddie vocals in the movie were performed - not by Mr. Robot, nor by old tapes of Freddie himself, but by Marc Martel, whose work I've posted on this site in the past, and who would be a far better choice as a Queen frontman than that American Idol reject Adam what's his ass.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Came across a bootleg of this movie online, so I figured "what the fuck" and watched it. Passable video quality, despite any of the text onscreen being in Russian. Thank fuck it wasn't dubbed. Sound quality was a little patchy at times, which is unfortunate in a movie where music is a huge part of the story.

Over all a fairly good depiction of the story, and Malek pulled off the performance better than I thought he would. Two HUGE historical fails though....

1) They showed the band performing "Fat Bottom Girls" on a US tour for the Sheer Heart Attack album??? Don't think so. That song wasn't even written yet, and wouldn't be for another 4 years or so.

2) "We Will Rock You" was on the News of The World album in 1977, but the movie implies they came up with the song in the early 1980s.

While these errors don't really impact the telling of the overall story, it's just really sloppy & stupid writing, and if May & Taylor had as much oversight in the creation of this movie as was claimed, then surely they should have stopped such ridiculous errors from being included in the film.

Definitely will watch it again when there's a legitimate release though.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,615 Posts

They left out the part that Queen took shit for playing in South Africa in '84.

The "reunion" before Live Aid was a little off, they had toured behind The Works in '84 and early '85 with the last show of the tour in Osaka on May 15th. Live Aid was July 13.

Overall I liked it. My friend had seen the bad reviews opening week and didn't want to go, but she ended up liking it. We had seen Queen + Adam Lambert last year.

The DJ's on Classic Rewind on Sirius are still talking about the movie like it's opening week. It's almost "enough, already."

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-21-2021 @ 06:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I was lucky to see it way before it came out because we did the German dubbing. The "mistakes" are wildly discussed and May/Taylor accepted them for dramatic purposes. You have them in every biopic.

Nevertheless is it IMO one of the best biopics ever. Say that as a huge QUEEN fan. And the Brian May character IS Brian May.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-21-2021 @ 06:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Haven't seen it yet. Probably wait for it to hit the streams. However it has come to my attention that some of the Freddie vocals in the movie were performed - not by Mr. Robot, nor by old tapes of Freddie himself, but by Marc Martel, whose work I've posted on this site in the past, and who would be a far better choice as a Queen frontman than that American Idol reject Adam what's his ass.

I disagree. As I said, I'm a long time QUEEN fan. It was my first concert ever in 1982. Saw them also on the "Live magic" Tour. And went to see them with Rodgers and this year with Lambert. Lambert was the right choice. To bring in a "copy" would ridicule the remaining part of QUEEN to a Kiss like tribute band. Adam did it his way in full respect of Freddie's legacy.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

Thread Information