• Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
    Hagar is an opportunist.

Always was.

In 1985 he walked into a band that had built an incredible career and he saw $$$$. But they had no producer, manager, tour and production crew and a singer.

They dumped everyone.

Hagar brought in all his people and they went to work on 5150. Even then it still took them months to finish that album.

It was never about Van Halen to Hagar. It was always about him - how he can maximize his earnings. And he cashed in for ten years.

The 2004 reunion was no different. Hagar saw $$$ once again and it didn't matter how fucked up Eddie was. He went out and did the tour.
    That's another thing that has always stuck in my craw re: Hagar.

Back in 1985, I knew who Hagar was. Didn't actively dislike the guy or his musical output prior to 1985. Never thought much of what Hagar had done prior to 1985 was particularly special/exceptional, either.

But I do recall the rounds of press when Hagar first joined Van Halen, and there is Hagar taking potshots at Roth along with the rest of Van Halen in interviews. Back then, I remember wondering where Hagar got the balls to say anything about Roth: it was one thing for Eddie and Roth to trade barbs in the press, but Sammy basically got a winning lottery ticket by accident. Sammy walked into the lead singer slot of a band that was already selling millions and millions of records and breaking attendance records in arenas across the country, neither of which accurately describes Sammy's career up to and including 1985. Sammy's entire career and profile took a big leap just by virtue of him joining Van Halen, yet Sammy continually pretends otherwise and insists that his solo career was on a par in commercial terms with what Van Halen was doing from 1978 to 1984. It just wasn't.

And Hagar's lies extended to his tenure with Van Halen, where he still claims his version of Van Halen was more commercially successful. It just wasn't. Yet a bunch of lazy rock journalists seem to equate the amount of #1 albums and top 40 singles with the amount of albums sold overall and still that myth of Van Hagar being commercially successful persists.

The persistent amount of lies Hagar has told regarding raw data - nothing to do with "who the 'better' singer was" - tells me that Hagar knows what the truth is and is just embarrassed, mostly because he really does believe he is a better singer/musician than Roth and can't understand why the reality doesn't match Hagar's lies.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Igosplut
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Hagar was a one-hit wonder as a solo act. Even then, it wasn't that successful. you never hear Van hagar on the radio (what's left of it) now.
      Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Igosplut
        Hagar was a one-hit wonder as a solo act. Even then, it wasn't that successful. you never hear Van hagar on the radio (what's left of it) now.
        He had a mild degree of success as a solo act from 1976 to 1984. Certainly mild when compared with what Van Halen were doing during the bulk of that same period: he had a couple of gold albums, and a couple of platinum albums.

Wasn't a total flop in commercial terms, but certainly not the massively successful solo artist who joined Van Halen and by doing so pushed them to greater commercial heights as he has always portrayed.

And you're right in that one never really hears virtually any solo Hagar on the radio anymore. Maybe once in blue moon I'll hear I Can't Drive 55...or One Way To Rock, but that's pretty rare.

Had Hagar not joined Van Halen when he did, it'd be doubtful people would be talking about Hagar today.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• ZahZoo
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Terry
          You notice the difference between 2004 and 2007, where Eddie went and cleaned up before the 2007 tour started.

As to if Ed going to rehab was due to Roth's insistence, or was something promoters told Azoff needed to happen because of the 2004 mess, or was something Azoff insisted to pre-empt promoter concerns, who the fuck knows?
          I'm under the impression that Ed going to rehab in 2006/7 had little, if anything, to do with Azoff and/or Roth... I'd suspect his new wife, son, ex-wife and brother were the primary catalysts in getting Ed on the sobriety path.

The interruption of the 2007 reunion tour and resumption in 2008 was most likely due to business contractual obligations.
          "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
            Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
            I'm under the impression that Ed going to rehab in 2006/7 had little, if anything, to do with Azoff and/or Roth... I'd suspect his new wife, son, ex-wife and brother were the primary catalysts in getting Ed on the sobriety path.

The interruption of the 2007 reunion tour and resumption in 2008 was most likely due to business contractual obligations.
            Dave has always wanted Ed to be on top of his game.

I'm sure when he and the band started to rehearse in 2006 that Dave noticed Ed was very off. And the 2007 tour was postponed until the fall - I believe they were ready to go in early 2007 from what I recall.

Dave has also stated that the main reason he initially left in '85 was because of Eddie's addictions. Drinking all day and other drug use when Dave wanted to get working on the follow up to 1984. He felt those vices also affected the music - and from the output Ed came out with post Roth - he was right.
            =V V=
            ole No.1 The finest
            EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Dave has always wanted Ed to be on top of his game.

I'm sure when he and the band started to rehearse in 2006 that Dave noticed Ed was very off. And the 2007 tour was postponed until the fall - I believe they were ready to go in early 2007 from what I recall.

Dave has also stated that the main reason he initially left in '85 was because of Eddie's addictions. Drinking all day and other drug use when Dave wanted to get working on the follow up to 1984. He felt those vices also affected the music - and from the output Ed came out with post Roth - he was right.
              I mean, if the NAMM show in late 2006 was anything to go by - along with that single publicity shot released in Jan 2007 - Ed was still fucked up: as a fan, I wouldn't have wanted the band to have started touring with Roth until Ed was in shape to do so properly, so I can't imagine Dave wouldn't have wanted the same.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

I mean, if the NAMM show in late 2006 was anything to go by - along with that single publicity shot released in Jan 2007 - Ed was still fucked up: as a fan, I wouldn't have wanted the band to have started touring with Roth until Ed was in shape to do so properly, so I can't imagine Dave wouldn't have wanted the same.
                Exactly.

Though if that was Hagar he would've dragged Ed's drunken carcass out on tour as he did in 2004.
                =V V=
                ole No.1 The finest
                EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• VHscraps
                  Veteran
                  • Jul 2009

He had a mild degree of success as a solo act from 1976 to 1984. Certainly mild when compared with what Van Halen were doing during the bulk of that same period: he had a couple of gold albums, and a couple of platinum albums.

Wasn't a total flop in commercial terms, but certainly not the massively successful solo artist who joined Van Halen and by doing so pushed them to greater commercial heights as he has always portrayed.

And you're right in that one never really hears virtually any solo Hagar on the radio anymore. Maybe once in blue moon I'll hear I Can't Drive 55...or One Way To Rock, but that's pretty rare.

Had Hagar not joined Van Halen when he did, it'd be doubtful people would be talking about Hagar today.
                  Oh Sammy
                  Last edited by VHscraps; 02-04-2019, 07:11 PM.
                  THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• Terry
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

Exactly.

Though if that was Hagar he would've dragged Ed's drunken carcass out on tour as he did in 2004.
                    The timing of Hagar's complaints also makes his whole "I couldn't control how fucked up Eddie was in 2004 and I couldn't get out of doing the tour" batch of excuses ring hollow, in that Hagar didn't have much of anything to say publicly about the 2004 tour until the book came out and he did multiple interviews to promote the book 4 years after the tour ended: clearly, there wasn't an NDA prohibiting Hagar from talking about any of it after the tour was over. Thus, if Sammy was as upset about the whole situation as he later claimed, one would think he would have started publicly talking about the tour the moment it was over.

It wasn't until Sammy had something to sell 4 years after the tour was over that he started making public comments. He was more than content to take the tour money and go onstage, regardless of how fucked up Eddie was, and decided to double-dip years later by writing the book (which, naturally, absolved Hagar of ALL the blame) and giving the interviews.
                    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by VHscraps
                      Oh Sammy

Oh Sammy
                      You're so jivey
                      Oh Sammy
                      You're so cool
                      Oh Sammy
                      I pretend I hate you
                      Oh Sammy
                      Secretly, I'm your biggest fan
                      Oh Sammy
                      Red Rocker Supreme
                      Oh Sammy
                      With Your One Way To Rock
                      Oh Sammy
                      Your Love Is Driving Me Crazy
                      Oh Sammy
                      You sucked even as far back as Montrose
                      Oh Sammy
                      You 70 year old lard-assed synth balladeer
                      Oh Sammy
                      Van Halen wants nothing to do with you
                      Oh Sammy
                      Finishing your days touring with Chickenfoot
                      Oh Sammy
                      The call from Eddie will never come
                      Oh Sammy
                      You'll always be #2 in my book
                      Oh Sammy
                      One step behind David Lee Roth
                      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• twonabomber
                        formerly F A T
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

From another site:

Van Halen ‘Farewell’ Tour Rumor With Major Offers Revealed

Westwood One podcast host Mitch Lafon posted on Facebook on Wednesday that he has been told by a source that Van Halen are getting offers from promoters, but that the source said a tour isn’t currently planned. He did add though that he could be told something different tomorrow, so it’s unclear how reliable the source is.

‪”Much like Dave… I’m throwing my hands up… today I was clearly told ‘there are no plans for a reunion tour,’ but ‘the VH camp is getting calls from promoters.’ And of course tomorrow I’ll be told something completely different. Bottom line… ”

Scott Butler commented, “They’re not going to tour but they are going to have a handful of stadium dates this summer. Shhhhh. It’s a secret.”

He added, “Who said they’d be alone?”

Lafon had posted on Tuesday night, “‪Re.: Van Halen. I’ve heard the same rumours about stadium reunion/farewell dates with multiple shows in major cities. But none are verifiable. None appear concrete. None are from solid as a rock trusted sources. So, will they or won’t they? Who knows… Bottoms Up!‬”

Lafon floating the idea of a ‘farewell’ tour is the first time that word has been used in regards to any rumors.

David Lee Roth stated in late 2018 that Van Halen would be doing ‘the original thing’ with possibly some famous bands in summer 2019, and mentioned that they would play at Yankee Stadium in New York.

“When we come back through town in the summertime and do the original thing, maybe somewhere sportin’, maybe with somebody famous,” Roth says, “I’ll make sure we get you all tickets so you can see what we do for gainful employment. My mom still wonders.”

He later said, “We don’t think about the price. Because, you know, next time my rock band will be playing the same place that the Yankees play. Okay?”

Since Roth’s statements, there has been radio silence from the Van Halen camp regarding tour dates including the Yankee Stadium date that DLR mentioned, outside of Michael Anthony denying that he’s had discussions with the band. Despite the denial, rumors have persisted on Eddie Trunk’s SiriusXM radio show.

Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Terry
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

I'd probably be willing to pop some money to see a CVH tour, but not in a stadium. Have no interest in seeing any band in a stadium.

One would think if they're gonna do something - Anything - sooner than later would be better. Simply put, these guys are old.

Good luck to 'em.
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• chuckjitsu
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Apr 2012

The thing that gets me about Hagar's 2003/2004 reunion rationalizations is laid out by Hagar in his own book, though.

Hagar claims that Eddie Van Halen was in clearly visible bad shape when he first went to meet him in late 2003/early 2004. Assumedly before any tour contracts had been signed, I'm guessing. Hagar also describes in detail how befuddled Eddie was throughout the writing/recording process of the new Van Hagar tracks on BOBW during early 2004. Hagar also describes in detail how befuddled Eddie was during the rehearsals for the 2004 tour. All of which paints a picture of Eddie as not being in any type of condition to play at his best.

Hagar never describes the reunion process as a situation of Eddie being relatively sober and competent during the initial meetings, writing/recording and tour rehearsals, then going on to have some sort of relapse just before the tour started. Hagar describes Eddie as having been fucked up from the get-go, and Hagar said he assumed Eddie at some point would get cleaned up enough to go out and play a decent tour.

In the end, to my mind Hagar is just as responsible for not making the judgement call that Eddie wasn't capable of doing any better than he ended up doing in 2004 as far as the end result goes. I mean, considering the condition Eddie was in, I find it simply not believable that Hagar (if he cared about the fans as much as he later claims he did) wouldn't have insisted that Eddie either get demonstrably clean before any tour contracts were signed or Hagar simply wasn't going to go ahead with the tour. However, none of that happened. Hagar went ahead, did the tour, grinned his way through all of it knowing how shitty the performances were, took his money, fucked off into Chickenfoot obscurity, then waited a few years to make a few more bucks off that shitty tour by telling us all how shitty the experience was.

All of which tells me as much about Hagar's character as it does Eddie's: Eddie clearly had his addiction issues running rampant and unaddressed in 2004...what was Hagar's excuse? Hagar claims he didn't need the money in 2004...how much of it did he give back to "the fans" by way of refunds when that whole debacle was over?
                            This is exactly right Terry. And although he didn't use the term "crack house", I remember Sam describing the interior of Ed's place at that time and it wasn't pretty. It went down exactly as you described- Sam knew Ed was fucked up and not really in shape to tour, but he thought (hoped?) Ed would pull himself together in time to pull the tour off. Now I don't know if Ed gave him any direct assurances about that. Sam didn't speak much about that in his book from what I remember, but in Sam's desperation to be part of VH again he went along for the ride hoping for the best. It's totally on him that he got to the point of actually signing contracts/booking dates (the alleged "deep contracts" Sam has spoken of that prevented him from leaving the tour) when Ed was still not in touring shape at that point. If he hadn't been so desperate, he would've told Ed that if he didn't have his shit together by the time they needed to start booking gigs, he was out and if he relapsed while on tour, the financial consequences were on Ed.

Comment

• twonabomber
                              formerly F A T
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Not sure what to make of this

An Insider Reveals Exciting Details About Van Halen Reunion
                              By Feyyaz Ustaer - 2/13/19

In one of our recent posts on Facebook, A Warner/Chappell Music employee, Tomas Bmyr has revealed exciting details about Van Halen reunion tour.

He said that ‘official announcement is coming very soon’. Here’s the statement:

“Van Halen will be touring in 2019. As you know, I work at Warner, and we have, by being the label of many incredible artists, information from their management.

An official announcement is coming VERY soon, but here’s what you need to know, to clarify the rumors of recent months, including this return more or less awkwardly announced by David Lee Roth.

– This is not a tour itself, but 6 dates in American stadiums, during the summer to come.

– The band will be going to Las Vegas for 5 additional dates, in December.

– It’s not a farewell tour.

– The line up is the same as the last years: Eddie, Alex, Wolfie, and David. However, to answer the rumors of reformation of the original line up, YES Michael Anthony will be of the part, but it will be only appearances with each concert, featuring, at a given moment of the concert … indeed, Mike will come on stage with his bass Jack Daniels and begin his famous bass solo, before playing “somebody get me a doctor”, which he will sing himself, as in 1998 and 2004. By cons I do not know if Wolfie will be on stage at that time …. Eddie Trunk said true. Mike too, since he is not allowed to talk about this project ….

– No interview will be granted, no one wants to justify the war against anthony and hagar, and this unexpected return, it seems that this is a big financial and legal history: Last year, Van Halen wanted to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the first album, turning and re-recording the first album, but with Wolfie on bass. Anthony opposed this. Not out of revenge for his ouster, but compared to the fans, which generated a legal and financial battle, which gave rise to this project: Van Halen featuring Michael Anthony, for dates in stadium, and vegas ….

– No new album or compilation coming soon.

– Sammy Hagar is not part of the project, this one refused, mike had the idea to include it but each of the two parts did not agree.

– The visuals with the planes I shared last year were real, they were prototypes of posters for the abandoned 2018 tour. Funny that it went around the net!

The official announcement arrives at the end of the month / beginning of March!“
                              Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Clearly written by someone where English isn't their first language...

Re-recording the debut album with Wolfgang... the only dumber idea would be to reissue the album artwork with Wolf edited into Mike's historic place. Oh wait... been there, done that...

no one wants to justify the war against anthony and hagar
                                ummm... check with Eddie. He owns the justification and trademark© rights...
                                "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

Working...