Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 80 of 130

Thread: More VH talk from Eddie Trunk

  1. #41
    Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

    Nickdfresh's Avatar
    Member No
    8719
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:03 PM
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Age
    48
    Posts
    45,911
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    2,690
    Thanked 4,099 Times in 3,071 Posts


    Rep Power
    102
    Well, what is the list of "stadium acts"? I know that the Stones are. U2 are. The Grateful Dead were. One Direction played the stadium here, but probably couldn't now. Selling out at least 60K seats on a regular basis is daunting to say the least. I guess there are country acts, but fuck me if I know one...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  2. #42
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    twonabomber's Avatar
    Member No
    28
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:12 PM
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,159
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    117
    Thanked 1,818 Times in 1,175 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    Garth Brooks is playing stadiums this summer.

    Back to VH...Bassplayer says "not so fast!"

    Michael Anthony Downplays Van Halen Reunion Rumors

    Former Van Halen bassist Michael Anthony is throwing some ice water onto rumors that he's rejoining the iconic band he helped build for a reunion tour next summer.

    On the heels of David Lee Roth's comments about playing Yankee Stadium in 2019, Eddie Trunk related additional speculation that Alex and Eddie Van Halen were interested in again working with their former bassist.

    Premiere Radio Networks, a division of iHeartRadio, reached out to Anthony on Wednesday as the rumors caught on. Van Halen fans aren't going to like what he said.

    "The only comment I have is that I haven't spoken to any of the guys since we last played together back in 2004," Anthony told Premiere.

    He added that while he did run into Alex Van Halen "a few years back," the two didn't get into anything more than small talk.

    Anthony last performed with Van Halen in 2004. He was replaced in the band by Eddie's son Wolfgang in 2006.

    Trunk made it clear that what he related on his radio show was merely a rumor, but he added that it was from a source within the music industry.

    "The rumors from reliable sources — but still rumors that are unconfirmed — is that the band will tour in 2019 with the original band, which would mean the return of Michael, and that there is gonna be some sort of stadium package," Trunk said at the time.

    Van Halen last toured in 2015. Trunk says that there have been unfounded rumors of a new tour each year since then. While he acknowledged that what he's heard this year seems more credible than what he's heard in the past, he did not dive into why the Van Halens might be considering bringing back Anthony.

    Since leaving Van Halen, Anthony has been busy collaborating with Sammy Hagar on a number of projects, including Chickenfoot and the pair's latest band, Sammy Hagar & The Circle, which will release its debut album, Space Between, in January.

    Hagar lobbied for a Van Halen reunion including himself, Anthony and Roth for years. He said last year, however, that he had given up trying to communicate with the Van Halen brothers after they didn't reach out to him on his 70th birthday.

    https://sixxsense.iheart.com/content...6g8_dNeiGOKd0U
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  3. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

    Terry (12-27-2018)


  4. #43
    Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

    Nickdfresh's Avatar
    Member No
    8719
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:03 PM
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Age
    48
    Posts
    45,911
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    2,690
    Thanked 4,099 Times in 3,071 Posts


    Rep Power
    102
    Garth Brook and a giant tape machine. Nothing against Brooks, I actually like him. But that shows you how god fucking awful and sad Country is - the guy had ONE (ghost written) hit!
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 12-27-2018 at 08:57 PM.

  5. #44
    WOOF!!
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

    FORD's Avatar
    Member No
    32
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:28 PM
    Location
    Cascadia
    Posts
    53,425
    Status
    Online
    Thanks
    3,141
    Thanked 5,780 Times in 4,295 Posts


    Rep Power
    128
    Garth Brooks had a Hell of a lot more than one hit. He was the biggest performer of the 1990s in any musical genre, and he's somehow sold more records than Elvis Presley - though admittedly there's some cheating involved with those numbers, since he re-released his first 6 albums in a box set, with one track added to each disc (but the price was only $30, so it was a big seller). He later did the same thing with the second half of his career, and then a third box set which was all cover songs, again for a cheap price.

    And "Friends In Low Places" ain't even his best song. Hard to narrow it down to one, but I'd probably go with "We Shall Be Free".

    I still haven't seen the video of that Notre Dame show, but I'm hoping if he did lip sync that (or added canned vocals in post production, or whatever it was) that it was an isolated event for the TV network, and that his actual live performances are still, in fact, LIVE.

    I would definitely see him in concert again, if he can still bring it like he did in 1997. Especially if the tickets are still cheap, compared to the standard arena prices of the day.
    Last edited by FORD; 12-27-2018 at 09:25 PM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  6. #45
    Helen Mirren's crudder
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Terry's Avatar
    Member No
    181
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:39 AM
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    10,091
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,148
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,096 Posts


    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    Well, what is the list of "stadium acts"? I know that the Stones are. U2 are. The Grateful Dead were. One Direction played the stadium here, but probably couldn't now. Selling out at least 60K seats on a regular basis is daunting to say the least. I guess there are country acts, but fuck me if I know one...
    I mean, it isn't a slam against Van Halen that they can't fill stadiums, because as you pointed out there aren't many acts who still can.

    The Who used to be able to, but for the last twenty years or so when they came around here - here being Florida - they were playing 10,000 seat venues.

    The Stones and U2 still fill stadiums, indeed. G n R did the last time around, although initially they only booked one Florida date in Orlando...which was smart, because it was centrally located in terms of the state, thus the location and only having the one show ensured filling the stadium. I think The Stones, if I'm not mistaken, are doing Miami and Jacksonville next year. Then again, it's the Stones: they could have probably added Tampa and Orlando as well and sold all four stadiums out.

    I'd tend to think if either Metallica or Foo Fighters did a single Florida date, they could sell out a stadium. A reunited Led Zeppelin could sell out stadiums. Garth Brooks, as mentioned, could sell out stadiums. Maybe Taylor Swift, or Bruno Mars: neither are really my cup of tea (although I like some of Mars's stuff), but both are very popular.

    Guns And Roses
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  7. #46
    Helen Mirren's crudder
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Terry's Avatar
    Member No
    181
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:39 AM
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    10,091
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,148
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,096 Posts


    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Garth Brooks had a Hell of a lot more than one hit. He was the biggest performer of the 1990s in any musical genre, and he's somehow sold more records than Elvis Presley - though admittedly there's some cheating involved with those numbers, since he re-released his first 6 albums in a box set, with one track added to each disc (but the price was only $30, so it was a big seller). He later did the same thing with the second half of his career, and then a third box set which was all cover songs, again for a cheap price.

    And "Friends In Low Places" ain't even his best song. Hard to narrow it down to one, but I'd probably go with "We Shall Be Free".

    I still haven't seen the video of that Notre Dame show, but I'm hoping if he did lip sync that (or added canned vocals in post production, or whatever it was) that it was an isolated event for the TV network, and that his actual live performances are still, in fact, LIVE.

    I would definitely see him in concert again, if he can still bring it like he did in 1997. Especially if the tickets are still cheap, compared to the standard arena prices of the day.
    I'm not huge on the guy. The Missus LOVES him. I don't hate his stuff, but I've always been sort of baffled by the level of his success. Particularly the Low Places tune, which has always come across to me as a half-assed Jimmy Buffettesque rip-off, and is one of those seemingly universally loved "country" tunes like Achy Breaky Heart...both of which I despise. Then again, I'm not huge on most new country, new being defined as pretty much anything released post-1980s.

    But, yeah, people fuckin' LOVE Garth Brooks. Fuck me as to why.

  8. #47
    Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

    Nickdfresh's Avatar
    Member No
    8719
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:03 PM
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Age
    48
    Posts
    45,911
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    2,690
    Thanked 4,099 Times in 3,071 Posts


    Rep Power
    102
    If Van Halen reunited in 1996 and put out new music, I think they'd have a shot at stadiums...

  9. #48
    THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

    Vinnie Velvet's Avatar
    Member No
    1201
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Last Online
    01-17-2019 @ 01:04 PM
    Location
    Hard Rock City
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,965
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 167 Times in 109 Posts


    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    I agree that even in the blazing trail (that ultimately hit the wall) of 1984, Van Halen couldn't fill a stadium on their own. I think two more big albums with Roth, then maybe...
    Sad thing is that they were well on their way.

    After the monster success of 1984, the sky was the limit for VH. Even Noel Monk in his book mentioned that he was prepping stadium shows for VH in ‘85.

    Sadly of course the band fell apart.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  10. Thanked Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

    So this is love (12-28-2018)


  11. #49
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    twonabomber's Avatar
    Member No
    28
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:12 PM
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,159
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    117
    Thanked 1,818 Times in 1,175 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    Local paper mentioned that Brooks was a marketing major, and it shows.

  12. #50
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    Seshmeister's Avatar
    Member No
    11
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Location
    Scotland
    Age
    98
    Posts
    31,401
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    2,335
    Thanked 8,175 Times in 5,215 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    Hmmm appears the consensus is that none of the major bands from the CVH era can support a stadium tour on their own... Sad affair... but Rock just hasn't had the draw that pop and country can pull in.
    Guns N Roses?

    If this happens I think it would be kind of like the Van Hagar thing in 1988 with 4 or 5 bands including at least one other arena headliner.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  13. #51
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    twonabomber's Avatar
    Member No
    28
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:12 PM
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,159
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    117
    Thanked 1,818 Times in 1,175 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    Checked Metallica's site, they are in the states until the end of March and then Europe from the beginning of May until the end of August. Not much time for a US show there.

    Foo Fighters are also touring overseas June and August but playing the Sonic Temple festival in Columbus in May.

    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Guns N Roses?
    I think GNR maybe could have done stadiums when they first reunited. After a year plus back together, I doubt it. Demand has been met.

    Slash ft. Myles Kennedy & The Conspirators are touring just about everywhere but the states through the first week of July. Would have been a suitable opener.
    Last edited by twonabomber; 12-28-2018 at 02:05 AM.

  14. #52
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    twonabomber's Avatar
    Member No
    28
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:12 PM
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,159
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    117
    Thanked 1,818 Times in 1,175 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    And as for Yankee Stadium...how long to set up and tear down a concert setup? Five days? A week?

    The Yankees will be on the road for a week toward the end of May, another week around the second week of June, and five days just after that. Late June through the All-Star break is 15 days away with another week on the road at the end of the month. Seven days away the first full week of August and then 11 on the road at the end of the month. Plenty of time.

    I can't see this going into September or Dave will be griping about the cool nights and not "that fucking blower."

  15. #53
    Talks To Trees
    SUPER MODERATOR

    ZahZoo's Avatar
    Member No
    61
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:11 PM
    Location
    3rd Stone From The Sun
    Posts
    7,577
    Status
    Online
    Thanks
    1,707
    Thanked 2,602 Times in 1,656 Posts


    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    50
    Well, well... this is turning out to be a classic Diamond Dave/Van Halen chain yank via cryptic references to something that may or may not be happening... but we can't say right now... Sound familiar..?

    The more energy it stirs up, the more hopeful the fan base gets and media who still feed on this shit are happy to play along. There could be money to be made...

    But wait... check in with Mikey... he hadn't talked to the Dutch Pricks™ since 2004. uh oh... Wolfgang... he's back-pedaling a sarcastic, fuck you fans episode on twitter...

    Ed and Al... they ain't talkin to anyone... Hagar's talkin to anyone who will listen...

    Dave's selling tramp-stamp cream and playing dress-up again...

    Here we go again... roll-eyes... SMH...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  16. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

    Terry (12-28-2018)


  17. #54
    Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

    Nickdfresh's Avatar
    Member No
    8719
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:03 PM
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Age
    48
    Posts
    45,911
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    2,690
    Thanked 4,099 Times in 3,071 Posts


    Rep Power
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Guns N Roses?

    If this happens I think it would be kind of like the Van Hagar thing in 1988 with 4 or 5 bands including at least one other arena headliner.
    There were some heavy hitters there, including: Metallica, The Scorpions, Dokken, and a few others...

  18. #55
    Veteran
    So this is love's Avatar
    Member No
    27806
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    01-06-2019 @ 01:56 AM
    Location
    N.America
    Posts
    2,285
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    501
    Thanked 269 Times in 203 Posts


    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    Checked Metallica's site, they are in the states until the end of March and then Europe from the beginning of May until the end of August. Not much time for a US show there.

    Foo Fighters are also touring overseas June and August but playing the Sonic Temple festival in Columbus in May.



    I think GNR maybe could have done stadiums when they first reunited. After a year plus back together, I doubt it. Demand has been met.

    Slash ft. Myles Kennedy & The Conspirators are touring just about everywhere but the states through the first week of July. Would have been a suitable opener.
    Not a suitable opener for Van Halen. Slash ft. Myles Kennedy & The Conspirators would kick VH asses therefore this will never happen.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  19. #56
    Veteran
    So this is love's Avatar
    Member No
    27806
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    01-06-2019 @ 01:56 AM
    Location
    N.America
    Posts
    2,285
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    501
    Thanked 269 Times in 203 Posts


    Rep Power
    13
    IMO, there is not enough demand for Van Halen right now in terms of $$, they will wait out another year or two or three before their grand finale... Why go out and do state fairs at this point in their career, they are not the Goo Goo Dolls they are Van fucking Halen.

  20. #57
    Helen Mirren's crudder
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Terry's Avatar
    Member No
    181
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:39 AM
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    10,091
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,148
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,096 Posts


    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    If Van Halen reunited in 1996 and put out new music, I think they'd have a shot at stadiums...
    I think they could have in 1996, or in 1997.

    The Van Halens wasted ten good years with misfires and fucking around. By the time 2007 rolled around and they were finally able to work with Roth, it was still only about 3/4ths of what people were psyched to see a decade earlier.

  21. #58
    Helen Mirren's crudder
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Terry's Avatar
    Member No
    181
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:39 AM
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    10,091
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,148
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,096 Posts


    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    Well, well... this is turning out to be a classic Diamond Dave/Van Halen chain yank via cryptic references to something that may or may not be happening... but we can't say right now... Sound familiar..?

    The more energy it stirs up, the more hopeful the fan base gets and media who still feed on this shit are happy to play along. There could be money to be made...

    But wait... check in with Mikey... he hadn't talked to the Dutch Pricks™ since 2004. uh oh... Wolfgang... he's back-pedaling a sarcastic, fuck you fans episode on twitter...

    Ed and Al... they ain't talkin to anyone... Hagar's talkin to anyone who will listen...

    Dave's selling tramp-stamp cream and playing dress-up again...

    Here we go again... roll-eyes... SMH...
    Had to laugh reading this post, partly because it was funny, mostly because all it's all true.

  22. #59
    Talks To Trees
    SUPER MODERATOR

    ZahZoo's Avatar
    Member No
    61
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:11 PM
    Location
    3rd Stone From The Sun
    Posts
    7,577
    Status
    Online
    Thanks
    1,707
    Thanked 2,602 Times in 1,656 Posts


    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Had to laugh reading this post, partly because it was funny, mostly because all it's all true.
    There is one key value element to this crap... even if all the rumors stirred up by Dave's Snake Oil venture and vague commentary turn out to be nothing other than a marketing move... it does get the fans fired up and promoters/business folks take note of the noise. It does get their greedy little minds going and guaranteed some will attempt to push the band into doing something just based on the interest... and earning potential.

    Will it be enough to get Ed & Al off the couch..?

  23. #60
    Helen Mirren's crudder
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Terry's Avatar
    Member No
    181
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:39 AM
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    10,091
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,148
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,096 Posts


    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    There is one key value element to this crap... even if all the rumors stirred up by Dave's Snake Oil venture and vague commentary turn out to be nothing other than a marketing move... it does get the fans fired up and promoters/business folks take note of the noise. It does get their greedy little minds going and guaranteed some will attempt to push the band into doing something just based on the interest... and earning potential.

    Will it be enough to get Ed & Al off the couch..?
    I suppose from my perspective it's hard now to imagine even the most loyal, ardent, die-hard Van Halen fans getting TOO excited about the prospect of another Van Halen tour, particularly if it ends up being another Van Wolfgang Greatest Hits tour.

    It's not to say that (Dave's voice being what it is now) the Van Halens themselves, particularly over the last two tours, haven't been consistently performing a well-rehearsed, professionally executed series of shows far as the musicianship goes. They have. It's all just a bit lather, rinse, repeat at this point. Particularly if you've been a fan of the band since the late 1970s/early 1980s; nobody's gonna tell me the band is playing better than they ever have, or the best they ever have...

    I dunno. It's like, for me, the memory of CVH and what that was looms much larger in my mind than anything the band has done since Roth left in 1985...and that even includes the last three tours with Roth fronting them. For me, the Van Halen of the last ten years just can't match up to the heyday. Maybe it's because I can still remember the heyday, but the stuff they've done with Roth the last ten years still comes up wanting, even though for the most part I think the band are doing about as well as they could be considering the years wasted.

  24. #61
    Talks To Trees
    SUPER MODERATOR

    ZahZoo's Avatar
    Member No
    61
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:11 PM
    Location
    3rd Stone From The Sun
    Posts
    7,577
    Status
    Online
    Thanks
    1,707
    Thanked 2,602 Times in 1,656 Posts


    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    50
    Nothing this band will do going forward will be as great as in their prime... that ship sailed in the 20th century and sank. It's like a real ship wreck sitting at the bottom feeding smaller, new life forms...

    There's still a market for guitar based Rock and a few generations that enjoy this genre... admittedly nothing on the scale of the 60's thru 90's. But among notable guitar wankers, EVH still sits at the top of historic guitar innovators and song writers, which even though some of the shine has worn off, he's still entertaining to watch/listen to live and his brother completes an unrivaled rhythmic team.

    Roth could be entertaining again as well... but he'd have to control his impulses to push his vocal limits, especially in the higher registers and commit fully to staying within the original melodies on vocals. Not sure Dave can do that without some major medication dosage adjustment to keep his ADHD in check or just a simple dog shock collar that zaps his ass anytime he tries embellish a high note...

    The window of opportunity for these guys to produce any new music and/or perform live is rapidly closing. I'd rather they give it a go at any quality level than just resign them to history never to be seen before our naked, steaming eyes one last time...

  25. #62
    Helen Mirren's crudder
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Terry's Avatar
    Member No
    181
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:39 AM
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    10,091
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,148
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,096 Posts


    Rep Power
    43
    I like the idea of the dog shock collar whenever Roth goes for yet another strained yelp.

    What made 1996 so appealing to me, even after the reunion fell short of a full album and tour, was that the BOV1 tracks showed some promise. Promise in that even if Van Roth 1996 hadn't in the end been able to rise to greater heights than they had the first time around - or even equal what they accomplished the first time around - that they weren't afraid to try.

    Certainly, Eddie Van Halen endures as a legend in the pages of Guitar World magazine. It'd be silly to understate his degree of influence on rock guitarists in the 1980s who followed in his wake. Those first 6 Van Halen albums are among the best rock has offered, certainly among the best to have been released after bands like The Beatles, The Stones, Led Zep and the like either broke up, died off or passed their prime. I will say above all else in 2012 I enjoyed listening to Ed and Al live. As you say, one of the all-time great rock rhythmic teams, and they still display what got them there.

    As you also say, the band has slowly resigned to rehashing, churning out their history. As to if they (perhaps correctly) think that's what the greater public basically wants from them now...who knows? The brightest spot of the last 12 years for me was the ADKOT release, in that for at least half of the album anyway were trying new stuff. Even with the new stuff that didn't work for me, I appreciated the attempt, because what was a downer in 1985 for me wasn't so much that I wouldn't get to see the band perform stuff they had already done again but that it seemed there was still more great stuff to come.

  26. #63
    Shit don't stink
    Commando
    High Life Man's Avatar
    Member No
    232
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    01-14-2019 @ 01:25 AM
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,264
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    72
    Thanked 97 Times in 70 Posts


    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    Well, what is the list of "stadium acts"? I know that the Stones are. U2 are. The Grateful Dead were. One Direction played the stadium here, but probably couldn't now. Selling out at least 60K seats on a regular basis is daunting to say the least. I guess there are country acts, but fuck me if I know one...
    Ed Sheeran

    I kid you not. He sold out Miller Park (42k+) and completely fucked up traffic for 15 miles in any direction for HOURS (my 10 mile, 20 minute drive took nearly 90 minutes at 8pm on a Wednesday). Oh yeah, the guy pulled in $430m in 99 shows.

    I don't get it, but what the fuck do I know? God damn Gingers.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  27. 2 users say thank you to High Life Man for this KICKASS post:

    Terry (01-01-2019),ZahZoo (12-31-2018)


  28. #64
    Head Fluffer
    chuckjitsu's Avatar
    Member No
    28413
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Online
    12-31-2018 @ 12:35 PM
    Location
    California
    Age
    48
    Posts
    313
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    89
    Thanked 190 Times in 118 Posts


    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Garth Brooks had a Hell of a lot more than one hit. He was the biggest performer of the 1990s in any musical genre, and he's somehow sold more records than Elvis Presley - though admittedly there's some cheating involved with those numbers, since he re-released his first 6 albums in a box set, with one track added to each disc (but the price was only $30, so it was a big seller). He later did the same thing with the second half of his career, and then a third box set which was all cover songs, again for a cheap price.

    And "Friends In Low Places" ain't even his best song. Hard to narrow it down to one, but I'd probably go with "We Shall Be Free".

    I still haven't seen the video of that Notre Dame show, but I'm hoping if he did lip sync that (or added canned vocals in post production, or whatever it was) that it was an isolated event for the TV network, and that his actual live performances are still, in fact, LIVE.

    I would definitely see him in concert again, if he can still bring it like he did in 1997. Especially if the tickets are still cheap, compared to the standard arena prices of the day.
    I scored free tickets to a Garth show in '97 so while not really a Garth/country fan, I figured the price was right so what the hell. I had friends who were fans of his, so I was at least aware of some of his bigger tunes from that era. The dude delivered. The arena was packed and people sang along to basically every song. I was impressed. It was a good show. If memory serves, he sold out multiple nights at the arena.

    Funny note to that show. Right before Friends in Low Places, he talked about the "3rd verse" to that song and how they were retiring that for this tour and wouldn't be doing it, which set off an uproar (for lack of a better term) from the crowd. After the uproar died down, he said well, if that's how you feel about it, we'll make an exception and do the 3rd verse, which of course caused the crowd to blow up. A couple of months ago I watched a live version of FiLP from 2014 and he did the same shtick about not doing the 3rd verse. Just funny to see artists doing the same shtick from literally decades earlier in their careers.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  29. Thanked chuckjitsu for this KICKASS post:

    Terry (01-01-2019)


  30. #65
    Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

    Nickdfresh's Avatar
    Member No
    8719
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:03 PM
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Age
    48
    Posts
    45,911
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    2,690
    Thanked 4,099 Times in 3,071 Posts


    Rep Power
    102

    Trunk Doubles Down

    Van Halen Member May Be Lying About Reunion: ‘You Can’t Piss Off The Boss’
    By Brett Buchanan - Dec 30, 2018 0

    As rumors of a 2019 original Van Halen lineup reunion have run rampant, Michael Anthony recently denied the rumors to Premiere Radio, saying he hadn’t talked to the band in years. Popular radio host Eddie Trunk, who previously said he had heard rumors from sources about a reunion tour following David Lee Roth’s comments, said he isn’t completely buying Anthony’s denial. Alternative Nation transcribed his new comments from his SiriusXM radio program.

    “As I just said, do you think Michael Anthony is going to tell me, Sal [from Premiere Radio], or Loudwire anyone else, ‘Yeah, by the way, I just talked to the guys, we’re rehearsing right now. The tour gets announced new years day, we’re going out with such and such! Go ahead, and say it!’ Of course not! So here is overreaction the other way, because Michael essentially pleaded the fifth, which you would completely expect him to do, what is he going to do? If you are told not to say anything, you can’t say anything! ‘Now it’s off, now it’s over, there’s nothing to it.’ It’s ridiculous. Oh my god, this is what I mean, is when you read through whether it be Twitter, which I favor, or any of the social media outlets or websites, when it is on the web and you see these headlines and stuff, you’ve got to consider it for what it is.

    You’ve got to take a beat and really think about it. So two days ago, ‘Confirmed! Van Halen reunion full go, stadiums.’ You got a date with Foo Fighters at Yankee Stadium, Michael Anthony to, ‘No, not happening, Michael Anthony said he hasn’t heard from anybody.’ Of course! The ring and yang here is ridiculous, just take a second and apply some logic to it. Is the guy that has been out of the band forever, if he was back in the band, do you really think he’s the one who is going to break the news ahead of an official statement?”


    He later said, “With guys, even if you know them, aren’t going to show their hand. I’ll give you one more, Ace Frehley. Everybody knows I’m tight with Ace. Ace Frehley leading into the KISS reunion didn’t tell me it was happening. I mean, I am close with the guys, I signed him to his record deal back in the day, his solo deal. I went to the Unplugged, I was in the audience of the MTV Unplugged, 3 or 4 days before that happened. I wasn’t saying anything (laughs). You don’t want to get off on the wrong foot leaking something, so just keep all of this in perspective both ways. Don’t get too high, don’t get too low on anything.”

    Trunk also speculated about maybe an announcement very early in the new year, especially with the band having announced their album A Different Kind of Truth in January 2012.

    He also said about Anthony’s reunion denial on his show, “You really think he is going to mess it up by telling me or anyone else in advance of when the band wants to release it? Come on, you can’t put people in positions like that, of course they’re going to deny, deny, deny until it can come out, if there’s anything going on.”

    “You’re not going to jeopardize pissing off the boss, in this case that would be Eddie Van Halen, if you’ve got something cooking, a multimillion operation.”

    LINK

  31. #66
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    Seshmeister's Avatar
    Member No
    11
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Location
    Scotland
    Age
    98
    Posts
    31,401
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    2,335
    Thanked 8,175 Times in 5,215 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    Popular radio host Eddie Trunk,
    If you were going to choose an adjective for Trunk rather than popular can you think of a better one?

    Dull
    Fat
    Inexplicable
    Tiresome
    Self-obsessed
    Shit
    Pasty
    Boring
    Mediocre
    Cunty
    Flatulent
    Twatty
    Arrogant
    Egotistical
    Pompous
    Smug
    Elephantine?

  32. 3 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

    Nickdfresh (01-01-2019),Terry (01-01-2019),ZahZoo (01-01-2019)


  33. #67
    Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

    Nickdfresh's Avatar
    Member No
    8719
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:03 PM
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Age
    48
    Posts
    45,911
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    2,690
    Thanked 4,099 Times in 3,071 Posts


    Rep Power
    102
    Popular? I still listen to rock radio, and would have no idea where to find this cunt....

  34. #68
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    twonabomber's Avatar
    Member No
    28
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:12 PM
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,159
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    117
    Thanked 1,818 Times in 1,175 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    Trunk is mostly on Sirius now, unless there's a syndication thing I don't know about. He's got a weekly show on Ozzy's Boneyard and then a daily talk show on the Volume channel, which I have never listened to.

  35. #69
    Talks To Trees
    SUPER MODERATOR

    ZahZoo's Avatar
    Member No
    61
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:11 PM
    Location
    3rd Stone From The Sun
    Posts
    7,577
    Status
    Online
    Thanks
    1,707
    Thanked 2,602 Times in 1,656 Posts


    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    50
    Interesting article... although the author mentions "applying logic" and playing one's cards right. May need to be reminded logic never applies to Van Halen... ever... and the last deck of cards any of those guys touched was left on the props table during filming of the Sopranos... Bada Bing™...

  36. #70
    Helen Mirren's crudder
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Terry's Avatar
    Member No
    181
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:39 AM
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    10,091
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,148
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,096 Posts


    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    Popular? I still listen to rock radio, and would have no idea where to find this cunt....
    Haven't seen or heard the guy since TMS on VH1 folded, unless it has been via a link on a thread here, although I don't have satellite radio, either.

  37. #71
    Helen Mirren's crudder
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Terry's Avatar
    Member No
    181
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:39 AM
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    10,091
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,148
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,096 Posts


    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    Van Halen Member May Be Lying About Reunion: ‘You Can’t Piss Off The Boss’
    By Brett Buchanan - Dec 30, 2018 0

    As rumors of a 2019 original Van Halen lineup reunion have run rampant, Michael Anthony recently denied the rumors to Premiere Radio, saying he hadn’t talked to the band in years. Popular radio host Eddie Trunk, who previously said he had heard rumors from sources about a reunion tour following David Lee Roth’s comments, said he isn’t completely buying Anthony’s denial. Alternative Nation transcribed his new comments from his SiriusXM radio program.

    “As I just said, do you think Michael Anthony is going to tell me, Sal [from Premiere Radio], or Loudwire anyone else, ‘Yeah, by the way, I just talked to the guys, we’re rehearsing right now. The tour gets announced new years day, we’re going out with such and such! Go ahead, and say it!’ Of course not! So here is overreaction the other way, because Michael essentially pleaded the fifth, which you would completely expect him to do, what is he going to do? If you are told not to say anything, you can’t say anything! ‘Now it’s off, now it’s over, there’s nothing to it.’ It’s ridiculous. Oh my god, this is what I mean, is when you read through whether it be Twitter, which I favor, or any of the social media outlets or websites, when it is on the web and you see these headlines and stuff, you’ve got to consider it for what it is.

    You’ve got to take a beat and really think about it. So two days ago, ‘Confirmed! Van Halen reunion full go, stadiums.’ You got a date with Foo Fighters at Yankee Stadium, Michael Anthony to, ‘No, not happening, Michael Anthony said he hasn’t heard from anybody.’ Of course! The ring and yang here is ridiculous, just take a second and apply some logic to it. Is the guy that has been out of the band forever, if he was back in the band, do you really think he’s the one who is going to break the news ahead of an official statement?”


    He later said, “With guys, even if you know them, aren’t going to show their hand. I’ll give you one more, Ace Frehley. Everybody knows I’m tight with Ace. Ace Frehley leading into the KISS reunion didn’t tell me it was happening. I mean, I am close with the guys, I signed him to his record deal back in the day, his solo deal. I went to the Unplugged, I was in the audience of the MTV Unplugged, 3 or 4 days before that happened. I wasn’t saying anything (laughs). You don’t want to get off on the wrong foot leaking something, so just keep all of this in perspective both ways. Don’t get too high, don’t get too low on anything.”

    Trunk also speculated about maybe an announcement very early in the new year, especially with the band having announced their album A Different Kind of Truth in January 2012.

    He also said about Anthony’s reunion denial on his show, “You really think he is going to mess it up by telling me or anyone else in advance of when the band wants to release it? Come on, you can’t put people in positions like that, of course they’re going to deny, deny, deny until it can come out, if there’s anything going on.”

    “You’re not going to jeopardize pissing off the boss, in this case that would be Eddie Van Halen, if you’ve got something cooking, a multimillion operation.”

    LINK
    Regardless of Trunk's blather, with anything Van Halen I'd only believe it when it actually comes to pass.

    Not necessarily a slam against Trunk or the validity of his insider status. Has more to do with 20 + years of rumors and speculation that haven't panned out.

  38. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

    kenny8 (01-01-2019)


  39. #72
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    twonabomber's Avatar
    Member No
    28
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:12 PM
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,159
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    117
    Thanked 1,818 Times in 1,175 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    What if...

    A Yankee Stadium show is this year's version of 2017's Classic East/West?

  40. #73
    Charcoal Mellowed
    Roadie
    silverfish's Avatar
    Member No
    23028
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:58 AM
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    176
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 36 Times in 25 Posts


    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    "The ring and yang here is ridiculous, ...”
    I'm so outta touch I have absolutely no idea what the "ring & yang" even means.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  41. Thanked silverfish for this KICKASS post:

    ZahZoo (01-01-2019)


  42. #74
    Talks To Trees
    SUPER MODERATOR

    ZahZoo's Avatar
    Member No
    61
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:11 PM
    Location
    3rd Stone From The Sun
    Posts
    7,577
    Status
    Online
    Thanks
    1,707
    Thanked 2,602 Times in 1,656 Posts


    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
    I'm so outta touch I have absolutely no idea what the "ring & yang" even means.
    I caught that one too... no idea what ring and yang means. Figured it was just some dumbass that didn't know it's Yin Yang!!

  43. #75
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    twonabomber's Avatar
    Member No
    28
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:12 PM
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,159
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    117
    Thanked 1,818 Times in 1,175 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Trunk
    I’ll give you one more, Ace Frehley. Everybody knows I’m tight with Ace. Ace Frehley leading into the KISS reunion didn’t tell me it was happening. I mean, I am close with the guys, I signed him to his record deal back in the day, his solo deal. I went to the Unplugged, I was in the audience of the MTV Unplugged, 3 or 4 days before that happened. I wasn’t saying anything (laughs). You don’t want to get off on the wrong foot leaking something, so just keep all of this in perspective both ways. Don’t get too high, don’t get too low on anything.
    With that KISS reunion happening very early in the Internet days who was going to hear Trunk talking about it anyways? Would have taken a couple days to get out then.
    Last edited by twonabomber; 01-01-2019 at 08:53 PM.

  44. #76
    Helen Mirren's crudder
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Terry's Avatar
    Member No
    181
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:39 AM
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    10,091
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,148
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,096 Posts


    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    With that KISS reunion happening very early in the Internet days who was going to hear Trunk talking about it anyways? Would have taken a couple days to get out then.
    I hadn't even heard of Trunk until the early 2000s. 2002 or thereabouts.

    And even all of Trunk's bitching about the band since Ace and Peter left didn't prevent [KISS] from remaining about as lucrative as they would have been even if Ace and Peter stayed.

    In other words, Trunk - despite all the insider access he has as a result of bands wanting whatever publicity he can provide - has never been in the position to make or break any of these bands in terms of...anything, really.

    Like, for all the pissing and moaning [Trunk] has made over Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley continuing on with KISS without Frehley and Criss, I have no doubt Trunk would kiss Gene's ass if Simmons ever consented to an interview with him.

  45. #77
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    twonabomber's Avatar
    Member No
    28
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:12 PM
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,159
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    117
    Thanked 1,818 Times in 1,175 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    The Trunk vids come up on my YouTube recommendations. When he starts cryin' about KISS in his high whiny voice I LOL.

    Trunk is the real version of Stewart from Beavis and Butt-Head.

  46. 2 users say thank you to twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

    Nickdfresh (01-02-2019),Terry (01-02-2019)


  47. #78
    Helen Mirren's crudder
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Terry's Avatar
    Member No
    181
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:39 AM
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    10,091
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,148
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,096 Posts


    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    The Trunk vids come up on my YouTube recommendations. When he starts cryin' about KISS in his high whiny voice I LOL.

    Trunk is the real version of Stewart from Beavis and Butt-Head.
    Trunk IS the real-life version of Beavis and Butthead's Stewart, all grown up. Shit, I'd be willing to bet Trunk would gladly expound for hours on how Winger really weren't all that bad, and got a raw deal being tarred as a hair metal band.

    Eddie Trunk, claiming back in the early 1980s he was a fan of the band UFO. That man never listened to a UFO record in his life.

  48. #79
    Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

    Nickdfresh's Avatar
    Member No
    8719
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:03 PM
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Age
    48
    Posts
    45,911
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    2,690
    Thanked 4,099 Times in 3,071 Posts


    Rep Power
    102
    Trunk is a fan of the UFOs that put probes in Sammy Hagar's anus...

  49. Thanked Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

    Terry (01-05-2019)


  50. #80
    Talks To Trees
    SUPER MODERATOR

    ZahZoo's Avatar
    Member No
    61
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:11 PM
    Location
    3rd Stone From The Sun
    Posts
    7,577
    Status
    Online
    Thanks
    1,707
    Thanked 2,602 Times in 1,656 Posts


    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    50
    Trunks information is only as good as what's fed to him... he's an outlet. Just like the ho on the corner in your neighborhood. Musicians/artists use him and other music industry types to market what they got to sell. If nobody is selling then all he has is recycling old stuff and whatever his staff can dig up.

    As far as Trunk's insider "connections"... the only industry access he can rely on is the minimum wage kids who answer the phones at the management/talent agencies that use him for marketing crap.

    During interviews the whole "we're buddies" shtick is just the persona played on both sides to project the conversations as friendly and informative. Both parties are there for one reason... selling shit. Then they go home to resume their other lives.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 5 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 5 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Eddie Trunk - Humorless Oaf?
    By Seshmeister in forum House of Music
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-11-2015, 04:37 AM
  2. NYC Listening Party- Not Eddie Trunk
    By daveswisdom1984 in forum Main VH/DLR Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-02-2012, 04:34 PM
  3. My Tweet to Eddie Trunk
    By Va Beach VH Fan in forum Main VH/DLR Discussion
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 12-29-2011, 08:54 PM
  4. DLR Mentioned On Eddie Trunk's Show
    By pmwc1159 in forum Main VH/DLR Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-18-2006, 12:27 AM
  5. Eddie Trunk is a Dickbag...
    By mewisemagic in forum Main VH/DLR Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-27-2005, 12:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •