More VH talk from Eddie Trunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by twonabomber View Post
    Sirius DJ just said she thinks Sammy is tired of the "dramedy" that is VH, but the way Sammy keeps inserting himself into it, I gotta say she's wrong.
    In terms of the amount of interview commentary specifically addressing a hypothetical 2019 Van Halen tour, Sammy has had more to say about the subject than Eddie, Dave and Mike Anthony COMBINED...and Sammy ain't even in the fuckin' BAND anymore!

I tend to doubt either of the Van Halens are too worried about getting Sammy's "blessing" in terms of if they approach(ed) Anthony for a CVH reunion or not.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Agreed, she's wrong.

Comment

• Sammy beats off to the platforms it gives him to promote his stuff like Chicken Ass if nothing else...

Comment

• Originally posted by Nickdfresh View Post
          Sammy beats off to the platforms it gives him to promote his stuff like Chicken Ass if nothing else...
          I had the misfortune of hearing Sammy's new song Trust Fund Baby. Pure word barf. I will say Sammy plays with some good musicians but Sammy really has no talent. What Sammy has is lots of charisma and he seems to have some business sense. Sam sells a good time to aging and sad people who still act like they are in high school. A Sammy show is nothing more than the next incarnation of Jimmy Buffet telling sad aging people to get drunk on Cabo Wabo and screw but no Sammy fan can get it hard enough to get it in. That's about it.
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Originally posted by Nitro Express View Post
            I had the misfortune of hearing Sammy's new song Trust Fund Baby. Pure word barf.
            Other than the word barf, I noticed he's singing in a lower register. Not a lot of high notes and screeching in that one.
            Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Originally posted by twonabomber View Post
              Other than the word barf, I noticed he's singing in a lower register. Not a lot of high notes and screeching in that one.
              Typical average Hagar stuff...watch the new Whitesnake Video. At least it's full of references to the old times and well played

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk
              Roth Army Icon
              First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• I've seen the WS vid. Coverdale sounds OK.
                Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

... What Sammy has is lots of charisma and he seems to have some business sense...
                  Um, what? He may have some business sense, but he has no real charisma. I've always thought he sounds like a complete two-faced, try-hard douche ready to say anything even when I wanted to like him...

Comment

I had the misfortune of hearing Sammy's new song Trust Fund Baby. Pure word barf. I will say Sammy plays with some good musicians but Sammy really has no talent. What Sammy has is lots of charisma and he seems to have some business sense. Sam sells a good time to aging and sad people who still act like they are in high school. A Sammy show is nothing more than the next incarnation of Jimmy Buffet telling sad aging people to get drunk on Cabo Wabo and screw but no Sammy fan can get it hard enough to get it in. That's about it.
                    I always thought it was kind of telling that even though Hagar has played with some good/great musicians, those collaborations haven't really produced much that approaches anything good, much less greatness.

From Neal Schon to Eddie Van Halen to Joe Satriani, none of those combinations with Hagar have matched what any of those three guitarists did when they weren't playing with Hagar.

The common factor in all of them? Hagar.
                    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Terry View Post
                      I always thought it was kind of telling that even though Hagar has played with some good/great musicians, those collaborations haven't really produced much that approaches anything good, much less greatness.

From Neal Schon to Eddie Van Halen to Joe Satriani, none of those combinations with Hagar have matched what any of those three guitarists did when they weren't playing with Hagar.

Satch is a great guitar player but he can't write songs. Same for a guy like Yngwie Malmsteen. You can be a great technician but suck at telling a story. Then you have guys that can write great songs with three chords. Kurt Cobain had that down pretty well. I've been listening to a lot of Rolling Stones lately and for the most part their songs are good and amazingly they differ quite a bit. Kieth Richards and those guys really get what makes a good song. Sammy is a good charismatic salesman. He's the Joel Olsteen of rock. Yeah you see those mega church's full of suckers but they are packed and guys like Joel are raking it in and you sit there scratching your head why and why are those people so stupid. Well it's the same thing with Sammy fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nickdfresh View Post
                        Um, what? He may have some business sense, but he has no real charisma. I've always thought he sounds like a complete two-faced, try-hard douche ready to say anything even when I wanted to like him...
                        Naw. Take some Alka Seltzer and watch Sam work a crowd of fat and aging Sammy fans. He's charismatic. You are saying he's not honest. You can be charismatic and be a phony. Let's call it the Cabo Wabo Church. Haha!

Comment

Satch is a great guitar player but he can't write songs. Same for a guy like Yngwie Malmsteen. You can be a great technician but suck at telling a story. Then you have guys that can write great songs with three chords. Kurt Cobain had that down pretty well. I've been listening to a lot of Rolling Stones lately and for the most part their songs are good and amazingly they differ quite a bit. Kieth Richards and those guys really get what makes a good song. Sammy is a good charismatic salesman. He's the Joel Olsteen of rock. Yeah you see those mega church's full of suckers but they are packed and guys like Joel are raking it in and you sit there scratching your head why and why are those people so stupid. Well it's the same thing with Sammy fans.
                          I mean, doubtless whatever my personal...I suppose apathy would be the right word, regarding Hagar's musical output...it'd be disingenuous to pretend Hagar hasn't had a degree of commercial/business success that plenty of rock stars (and probably not a few of Hagar's contemporaries) would be very happy with.

Charisma? I suppose, as you say, to his fans Hagar may have a certain charisma. Not being cheeky with that comment, either: doubtless the fans who still go see Chickenfoot or go to Cabo Wabo or whatever think Hagar is a cool guy. I've never really thought Hagar was particularly charismatic as a frontman, though...or particularly distinguished as a frontman. He had a good rock voice, average lyrics, ran around stage a lot in his earlier years...basically presents himself as a confident, happy guy, but I've never associated that with any distinguishable charisma, myself.

Doubtless Hagar's fans lap it up. Good for 'em, if that's what they enjoy. Far be it from me to scratch my head wondering what it is about the guy they like so much: just not my concern, you know?
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

That song of Sammy's is a bitter stab at Montrose on a old 'demo' song (you know, like he accused Van Halen of on ADKOT, though bands always use past material which the internet brings to light now) and by far the most laziest nonexistent chorus ever... Sammy cannot write music past the generic and he has run out of that cereal box formula he has used so often
                            I got lost in the...

Comment

• Originally posted by Jetstream View Post
                              That song of Sammy's is a bitter stab at Montrose on a old 'demo' song (you know, like he accused Van Halen of on ADKOT, though bands always use past material which the internet brings to light now) and by far the most laziest nonexistent chorus ever... Sammy cannot write music past the generic and he has run out of that cereal box formula he has used so often
                              Generic being the most apt description, particularly when it had/has to do with Hagar's solo output: without a Montrose, Van Halen or Satriani to write the music, Hagar himself has only ever been able to come up with very middle-of-the-road stuff on an instrumental level.
                              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Terry View Post

I don't know.... I think I'd actually take the HSAS album over anything Journey did after that Trump loving pussy Jonathan Cain ruined the band. Ironic that HSAS was more of a "rock" album than either Hagar or Schon was doing in their regular gigs at the time.

Of course the lyrics were still standard simplistic Hagar shit, which was the album's biggest flaw.
                                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

Working...
                                X