Member No
    Last Online
    08-25-2020 @ 11:28 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    Van Halen Member May Be Lying About Reunion: ‘You Can’t Piss Off The Boss’
    By Brett Buchanan - Dec 30, 2018 0

As rumors of a 2019 original Van Halen lineup reunion have run rampant, Michael Anthony recently denied the rumors to Premiere Radio, saying he hadn’t talked to the band in years. Popular radio host Eddie Trunk, who previously said he had heard rumors from sources about a reunion tour following David Lee Roth’s comments, said he isn’t completely buying Anthony’s denial. Alternative Nation transcribed his new comments from his SiriusXM radio program.

“As I just said, do you think Michael Anthony is going to tell me, Sal [from Premiere Radio], or Loudwire anyone else, ‘Yeah, by the way, I just talked to the guys, we’re rehearsing right now. The tour gets announced new years day, we’re going out with such and such! Go ahead, and say it!’ Of course not! So here is overreaction the other way, because Michael essentially pleaded the fifth, which you would completely expect him to do, what is he going to do? If you are told not to say anything, you can’t say anything! ‘Now it’s off, now it’s over, there’s nothing to it.’ It’s ridiculous. Oh my god, this is what I mean, is when you read through whether it be Twitter, which I favor, or any of the social media outlets or websites, when it is on the web and you see these headlines and stuff, you’ve got to consider it for what it is.

You’ve got to take a beat and really think about it. So two days ago, ‘Confirmed! Van Halen reunion full go, stadiums.’ You got a date with Foo Fighters at Yankee Stadium, Michael Anthony to, ‘No, not happening, Michael Anthony said he hasn’t heard from anybody.’ Of course! The ring and yang here is ridiculous, just take a second and apply some logic to it. Is the guy that has been out of the band forever, if he was back in the band, do you really think he’s the one who is going to break the news ahead of an official statement?”

He later said, “With guys, even if you know them, aren’t going to show their hand. I’ll give you one more, Ace Frehley. Everybody knows I’m tight with Ace. Ace Frehley leading into the KISS reunion didn’t tell me it was happening. I mean, I am close with the guys, I signed him to his record deal back in the day, his solo deal. I went to the Unplugged, I was in the audience of the MTV Unplugged, 3 or 4 days before that happened. I wasn’t saying anything (laughs). You don’t want to get off on the wrong foot leaking something, so just keep all of this in perspective both ways. Don’t get too high, don’t get too low on anything.”

Trunk also speculated about maybe an announcement very early in the new year, especially with the band having announced their album A Different Kind of Truth in January 2012.

He also said about Anthony’s reunion denial on his show, “You really think he is going to mess it up by telling me or anyone else in advance of when the band wants to release it? Come on, you can’t put people in positions like that, of course they’re going to deny, deny, deny until it can come out, if there’s anything going on.”

“You’re not going to jeopardize pissing off the boss, in this case that would be Eddie Van Halen, if you’ve got something cooking, a multimillion operation.”

LINK

Not sure if anyone mentioned this but knowing Van Halen . . . They may not have talked with Anthony, it could be their manager speaking with Anthony's manager. That would make what Anthony says as truth.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:11 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,078 Times in 1,996 Posts

Blog Entries
    I believe any VH/DLR fans that still follow these jackasses want to see the original line-up perform together again... the only exceptions may be EVH and Wolfgang's girlfriend.

Seems logical, possible, plausible... that management discussions may have taken place without direct discussions among the current/former band members. Hop on the denial train heading directly to city of disappointment...

As much as I'd want to believe this rumored arrangement is on the table... I'm reminded of the simple facts proven time and time again with these guys. Every rumor that's surfaced where Michael Anthony was somehow part of the equation and Mike responds shooting it down... ended up Mike was truthful and the rumors proven false. 100%...

Fault the Bassplayer™ for what you will... he's never jacked the fans with false bullshit. You can't say that about any other current or former Van Halen band member other than Cherone.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

3. 2 users say thank you to ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (01-05-2019),Terry (01-05-2019)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:12 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,493 Times in 1,609 Posts

Which one of you is this?

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-21-2021 @ 06:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post

Greg...it's fucking ELVIS!!!!

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-17-2024 @ 01:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,481 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    I believe any VH/DLR fans that still follow these jackasses want to see the original line-up perform together again... the only exceptions may be EVH and Wolfgang's girlfriend.

Seems logical, possible, plausible... that management discussions may have taken place without direct discussions among the current/former band members. Hop on the denial train heading directly to city of disappointment...

As much as I'd want to believe this rumored arrangement is on the table... I'm reminded of the simple facts proven time and time again with these guys. Every rumor that's surfaced where Michael Anthony was somehow part of the equation and Mike responds shooting it down... ended up Mike was truthful and the rumors proven false. 100%...

Fault the Bassplayer™ for what you will... he's never jacked the fans with false bullshit. You can't say that about any other current or former Van Halen band member other than Cherone.
    Well, I'd say Mike was part of the 1996 hype by proxy, but even Roth admits he was never explicitly told by the Van Halens that they were reforming beyond the two greatest hits tracks. I say by proxy because even though Mike was still playing bass in the band, he had no control over what the band was doing: the only thing he was ever free to do was to leave.

Almost as lame as the band not doing a CVH tour this year would be the band doing a CVH tour and keeping secret about it: just announce the fucking thing and get it over with if it's happening. This whole nonsense with Dave and his cryptic comments in his recent interviews...it isn't 1985 anymore. It isn't even 1996 anymore. There's nothing Van Halen is going to undertake that is worth being secretive about.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Wasn't me, although I agree with most of what was said, save for the part about Roth never having been a good singer live...assuming that good refers to being able to decently replicate what he did on the albums. Back in the CVH days and early in his solo career, Roth was capable enough in the vocal department live. He wasn't note-for-note perfect in terms of studio vs. live - he wasn't singing every verse live exactly as it was recorded, and to be sure the US Fest performance was erratic - but he wasn't sounding consistently awful like he has been the last two tours.

8. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

So this is love (01-05-2019)

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-16-2024 @ 07:09 PM
    Status
    Thanks

But, but I like when singers don`t go note for note and that's probably what peeps like about Van Halen even evh is not flawless live...Roth on!

10. Thanked So this is love for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (01-06-2019)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,337 Times in 6,024 Posts

It pains me to say this but I agree with Trunk on some of this.

Everyone else is miming live to a lesser or greater degree and people have got used to that.

Also of course on the first reunion tour some backing vocals were piped in but they weren't Michael Anthony they were some session guy.

I don't listen to the live Japan album but why would anyone ever? Think about it. If Dave had performed a flawless live performance or if they did the usual thing everyone else does and fixed it who cares either way? Why would you want to listen to a live album of songs from the late 70s/ early 80s when you can just go and listen to recordings of them done then live or in the studio?

People have every right to complain about a sub par live experience if they pay their money, go to a gig and come away disappointed.

What you don't get to complain about how fucking annoyed you are at not enjoying a performance you watched on YouTube recorded on a phone or hating the Japan thing when anyone could check it out before purchasing.

This is the Led Zepplin thing writ large. A fucking bunch of people complaining that a band won't reform and play, they reform and play and people say it isn't as good as it was, they then agree and don't play and everyone complains that they can't go and see them.

The whole thing is ridiculous.

I'm sick of people whining about being forced to buy things that no one is forcing them to buy. If you don't like the product don't pay for it.

As an aside this ongoing fucking thing about Roth never being able to sing is stupid. Roth at his worst in any era pisses all over just about any Ozzy live singing from 1977 onwards so 40 years now? How does he get a free pass?
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 01-05-2019 at 09:47 PM.

12. 4 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

1980Invasion (02-28-2019),DavidLeeNatra (01-06-2019),Terry (01-06-2019),ZahZoo (01-06-2019)

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post

Everyone else is miming live to a lesser or greater degree and people have got used to that.

Also of course on the first reunion tour some backing vocals were piped in but they weren't Michael Anthony they were some session guy.

I don't listen to the live Japan album but why would anyone ever? Think about it. If Dave had performed a flawless live performance or if they did the usual thing everyone else does and fixed it who cares either way? Why would you want to listen to a live album of songs from the late 70s/ early 80s when you can just go and listen to recordings of them done then live or in the studio?

People have every right to complain about a sub par live experience if they pay their money, go to a gig and come away disappointed.

What you don't get to complain about how fucking annoyed you are at not enjoying a performance you watched on YouTube recorded on a phone or hating the Japan thing when anyone could check it out before purchasing.

This is the Led Zepplin thing writ large. A fucking bunch of people complaining that a band won't reform and play, they reform and play and people say it isn't as good as it was, they then agree and don't play and everyone complains that they can't go and see them.

I'm sick of people whining about being forced to buy things that no one is forcing them to buy. If you don't like the product don't pay for it.

As an aside this ongoing fucking thing about Roth never being able to sing is stupid. Roth at his worst in any era pisses all over just about any Ozzy live singing from 1977 onwards so 40 years now? How does he get a free pass?
    Roth at his worst in any era pisses all over just about any Ozzy live singing from 1977 onwards so 40 years now? How does he get a free pass?[ Finally someone who gets it! Roth on!

I know, I know, not exactly the best example but fuck it! its better than an any og Krustys fg post VH Forever!!!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by So this is love; 01-06-2019 at 12:42 AM.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by So this is love View Post
    Roth at his worst in any era pisses all over just about any Ozzy live singing from 1977 onwards so 40 years now? How does he get a free pass?[ Finally someone who gets it! Roth on!

I know, I know, not exactly the best example but fuck it! its better than an any of Krustys fg post VH Forever!!!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    BTW, who is this babe at 0:53? Nice! She looks like a Christina Applegate?
    Last edited by So this is love; 01-06-2019 at 12:51 AM.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by So this is love View Post
    But, but I like when singers don`t go note for note and that's probably what peeps like about Van Halen even evh is not flawless live...Roth on!
    I do as well...for example, I thought Roth had a great approach to the material in 2007/2008: he wasn't singing exactly like the original recordings - and in terms of aspects like the screams, clearly he couldn't for more than a certain amount of times per show without wrecking what was left of his voice - but he was putting out the best attempt he could to sing as many of the verses as he could accurately and (more important) in key.

From 2012 onward, he has had some serious problems just staying in key. And it is this odd approach he has been taking to his live vocals for the last two tours, an approach that has dated back as far as the early days of his solo career but was one that was used sparingly so it wasn't quite as noticeable, where he at times is actually overexerting himself and yelling rather than just singing and he is applying this strained yelp...er...'technique' to songs that don't benefit from it.

That feeds into this overall effect of the lead vocals being badly off-key. Much more so than in the CVH days. It just sounds bad. Plain and simple.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

I agree with Trunk in that clearly the Tokyo Dome album obviously wasn't the net result of a bunch of post-performance studio overdubbing. As Trunk said, it was a one-shot, warts-and-all performance. I listened to it once, and...yeah, it sounded rough. Probably rougher to people who hadn't seen the band on the 2012 tour and hadn't experienced Roth singing that poorly. With the show I saw in 2012, Roth was having what I thought at the time was an off-night. I had checked out the 2012 tour rehearsal stuff posted on youtube prior to the gig I saw - as well as the Café Wha? gig - and Roth sounded okay. About as good as one could have expected, anyway. When I saw them live about 4 months into the tour, he wasn't sounding good. That strained yelp was front and center to the point where it was actually taking away from my enjoyment of the show. As I said, I figured that was an off night.

The Tokyo Dome album was more of the same in terms of the poor vocals. Then I saw the televised stuff prior to the 2015 tour, youtubed the first few 2015 gigs prior to tickets for my area going on sale, and it became clear that this is what Dave sounds like now. As to if he could sound better with a different approach, I don't know. But, as you said, I no longer liked the product, so I'm not paying for it. Not something I feel great about, either. I'd always basically enjoyed what Roth brought to his performances, and I'm not gleeful that to my ears he sounds bad to the point where it is an unpleasant experience to go to a show.

Far as Zep goes, was too young to see them when they actually were Zeppelin. Wasn't exactly overwhelmed with what they did at Live Aid or the 1988 Atlantic thing. I've enjoyed Plant's solo career. I liked the Unledded thing, as well as the approach Plant and Page took to their mid 1990s touring. Didn't much care for their Walking Into Clarksdale album. Thought the O2 show was a pleasant one-off reunion. Had some good stuff there, but at points it was also - despite obviously being a gig that the band took a serious approach to in terms of preparation and rehearsal - a reminder that it ISN'T the mid 1970s anymore: that point in time is lost forever. I'm content with 'Led Zeppelin' - or what it is left of it, anyway - not reuniting for a stadium tour. It doesn't really matter much to me if they do, either, truth be told. Again, as you say, it's not compulsory that I go see them. Or Van Halen. Or Ozzy.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Ok - I have to comment on all the drivel that is thrown towards Dave as far as his vocals is concerned.

I think its totally unfair while his contemporaries continue to get praise while they sound even worse.

Ozzy for instance. He's packing arenas on his latest farewell tour but from what I've heard on youtube (and that's not a good barometer) his vocals have been horrendous. Add to the fact he cant sing many of his songs anymore - you only get to hear Zakk jam those in his solo spot (Miracle Man for example). Even the songs he does sing - musically they've been tuned down to accommodate his vocals which to me sounds like crap.

Paul Stanley. The latest KISS farewell tour hasn't started yet but its selling well. Despite the fact that Stanley has to use pre-recorded vocals on stage now because his voice is so shot. Yup. Stan will be lip synching.

Perhaps Dave isn't doing himself any favours by continuing to smoke. Who knows.
    I don't expect him to belt out On Fire at his age now. Or any of those squeals and screams. He hasn't been able to do them for some time now anyway.

18. 2 users say thank you to Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (01-14-2019),Terry (02-17-2019)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:57 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,554 Times in 3,443 Posts

I agree with most of Truck's assessments as well. But the jabs at Dave's "always lacking vocal chops" thing is bullshit. Is he old and not able to sing anymore? yeah probably. But I have to believe that part of that was possibly that he was sick for much of the tour and his decline might be a bit exaggerated, and I too see "the warts and all" thing as integrity rather than the nauseating lip-sync-athons and piped-in-music going on with the likes of Aeroshit...

But to say he didn't have vocal chops back in the day is complete shit. I was listening to some 84' Cow Palace last night, and other than Dave sometimes ignoring lyrics and maybe being a bit winded from running around like fat blindfolded kid swinging at a pinata, he sang just fine and pretty much sounded like 1984. He was trashed at the US Fest to the point of Noel Monk being despondent about it, so that is hardly a prototypical Dave performance. So you can't judge him on that and there are some boots where Dave sang overall well on The Hide Your Sheep Tour...
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 01-07-2019 at 10:41 AM.

20. 2 users say thank you to Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

Terry (02-17-2019),Vinnie Velvet (01-07-2019)

Charcoal Mellowed
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    I agree with most of Truck's assessments as well. But the jabs at Dave's "always lacking vocal chops" thing is bullshit. ... He was trashed at the US Fest to the point of Noel Monk being despondent about it, so that is hardly a prototypical Dave performance.
    It seems to me it's an either/or situation - either you go to a concert and wanna hear the live
    songs sound just like the LPs or you are there for the experience and allow for a little "artistic
    license". I'm in the latter category - you wanna hear the LPs, stay at home. You want a little
    ad lib - come to the show. And let's face it - some songs lend themselves to jiggering
    while others are probably easier played "straight".

I went to the 1988 Monsters of Rock show. My recollection is that the Scorpions set sounded
    exactly like World Wide Live. Very tight and not a single bum note. Coulda been a recording
    and I wouldn't have known. Not a knock - just decent musicians doing their job and c'mon,
    who wants to hear Klaus' in German accent that he "Vorgot the Vucking Verds!".

The US Fest is a bogus benchmark and Trunk knows it. Seems to me it was a 1.5 mil (or
    whatever) payday and a celebration of same. Pick any other live performance and use that
    as your baseline, jerk.
    Last edited by silverfish; 01-07-2019 at 03:12 PM.

22. Thanked silverfish for this KICKASS post:

Terry (01-07-2019)

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
    It seems to me it's an either/or situation - either you go to a concert and wanna hear the live
    songs sound just like the LPs or you are there for the experience and allow for a little "artistic
    license". I'm in the latter category - you wanna hear the LPs, stay at home. You want a little
    ad lib - come to the show. And let's face it - some songs lend themselves to jiggering

I went to the 1988 Monsters of Rock show. My recollection is that the Scorpions set sounded
    exactly like World Wide Live. Very tight and not a single bum note. Coulda been a recording
    and I wouldn't have known. Not a knock - just decent musicians doing their job and c'mon,

The US Fest is a bogus benchmark and Trunk knows it. Seems to me it was a 1.5 mil (or
    whatever) payday and a celebration of same. Pick any other live performance and use that
    as your baseline, jerk.
    Exactly.

There seems to be a thing these days of wanting to hear songs exactly how they sound on record. I never liked that. I always loved live versions of songs vs their studio versions. Cause it was LIVE.

And CVH was better than anyone in delivering a great performance that was fun and spontaneous. Unlike the crap that was Van Hagar.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
    Ok - I have to comment on all the drivel that is thrown towards Dave as far as his vocals is concerned.

I think its totally unfair while his contemporaries continue to get praise while they sound even worse.

Ozzy for instance. He's packing arenas on his latest farewell tour but from what I've heard on youtube (and that's not a good barometer) his vocals have been horrendous. Add to the fact he cant sing many of his songs anymore - you only get to hear Zakk jam those in his solo spot (Miracle Man for example). Even the songs he does sing - musically they've been tuned down to accommodate his vocals which to me sounds like crap.

Paul Stanley. The latest KISS farewell tour hasn't started yet but its selling well. Despite the fact that Stanley has to use pre-recorded vocals on stage now because his voice is so shot. Yup. Stan will be lip synching.

Perhaps Dave isn't doing himself any favours by continuing to smoke. Who knows.
    I don't expect him to belt out On Fire at his age now. Or any of those squeals and screams. He hasn't been able to do them for some time now anyway.
    I don't expect him to belt out On Fire at his age now, either.

I'll also agree it's unfair to single Roth out when his contemporaries - Ozzy, Paul Stanley - have their own issues.

I'm not expecting him to replicate the CVH studio stuff note for note, either.

I'm all for giving a degree of latitude. Shit, I saw Roth in 1999, 2005 and 2006: he wasn't doing note-perfect versions of the material at any of those gigs.

He was more or less in key at those shows, though. A few bum notes here and there, but overall, listenable.

2008? Dave knocked it out of the park. He WAS the highlight of that first VH reunion tour, far as I'm concerned.

He has become unlistenable live to my ears over the last two tours, unlistenable in that more often than not he sounds...bad. Just plain bad.

I mean, again, it's a shame from where I sit that this is the case for me, but I can't go listen to him sing and pretend it isn't so: it's a visceral thing.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfish View Post

as your baseline, jerk.
    To say that the US Fest was somehow representative of how Roth sang live with Van Halen back in the day IS bullshit, and I agree Trunk probably does (or should) know it.

I saw the Scorpions on the Love At First Sting tour (with Bon Jovi opening up, no less - STILL amazing to me to this DAY when thinking of that opening slot performance that Bon Jovi has endured), and even at the time I thought they were perhaps overly rehearsed...almost machine-like. Which isn't to say they put on a bad show, but when I heard/saw the World Wide Live stuff a year or so later after the gig, it was virtually exactly the same as the gig I saw.

Heisenberg
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-23-2020 @ 03:08 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Also of course on the first reunion tour some backing vocals were piped in but they weren't Michael Anthony they were some session guy
    Ok this has captured my attention & I require some detailed information.

I've noticed a couple folks at VH Links mentioning Wolf recieving some sort of help....but of course....very vague on details....just saying Wolf had help....

SO- lets hear it.....what do you have to say about it....

Keep in mind Wolf Ed & Al rehearsed for several months in 2006 BEFORE David even enterered back into the equation...

Did Wolf have help in the 5150 studio while jamming with Ed & Al....which is captured on Andrew Bennets film & audio....

So I'll answer to save you the hassle....

NO.....

So tell me exactly what is this " piped in " horseshit of which you speak????

I'm curious....dubious to say the least....but I'm open minded enough to admit I don't know otherwise for certain....

But will say I strongly suspect all you guys are completely full of shit....with absolutly no proof or valid justification of your false claims....

And when I say " all you guys", I'm referring to the internet usernames I recognize seeing very recently here now with your post & over at VH Links in a different thread....

The names are You Seshmiester here now in this post I just clicked...

& Zahhoo who I saw his post at VH Links....

& the VH Links owner Brett also said he strongly felt Wolf had " help"...but was very vague in explanation.....

And another "poster" that posts about 100 times a week about VH & Mike....but I dont want to mention him by name his opinion is not as important as yours Shesmeister & Brett....

So what the fuck is it you think you know???

Did you hear something from a crew member???

Spill the beens cough up the skinny otherwise the shit your peddling is just pansey ass gossip shit....

Your not a pansey ass gossip punk are you????

Heisenberg
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And where's that Von Halen fruitcup???

Whats up with his article thats still on the front page about VH hooking up with Hagar in 2017???

Funny how none of you flakes ever actually explain yourselfs....just leave your fake bullshit lies posted for all to see long after its clearly seen as the bullshit that it is.

Does Von Halen flip burgers at Krystal Burger?

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I can say from the 2008 show I saw that the backing vocals were a LITTLE too flawless: they didn't sound as good 4 years later. Far too full at times, particularly when Ed would miss a line of a chorus, thus at those points you only had Wolfgang and Dave doing background vocals yet it still sounded like there were 4 people doing them. And the fullness sounded like it was a higher range voice, which neither Ed or Dave used when it came to background vocals for choruses.

Now, while from all that I don't know for certain backing vocal tracks were piped in on the first Roth VH reunion tour, it wouldn't be surprising in the least. Mostly because that type of thing has become all too common over the last 1/4 century with a wide variety of live acts encompassing a wide range of styles. Shit, Motley Crue's Farewell tour, they were using pre-recorded vocals AND pre-recorded rhythm guitar tracks.

It's not like Van Halen is beyond doing that. Not talking CVH, here, but Van Halen circa the last decade: 3/4's of the band aren't exactly spring chickens, and maybe they just need a boost in that department to make it sound good.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I suspect in the later tour they were using vocal effects to double up their live backing vocals. I don’t have any problem with that as a compromise, even my band does if.

Where do you draw the line, you could argue it’s no different from using a guitar effects pedal?

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Exactly.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,279 Times in 4,710 Posts

Hell, I've heard Zeppelin bootlegs from as early as 1973 where Plant's voice is shot to Hell. Funny thing that happens to vocal cords when they age. I've never been a professional singer, but I used to be able to knock out a fairly decent Axl Rose impersonation when I was younger, and a decent amount of alcohol was involved. No chance in Hell of me doing that now.

The only thing that DLR has done wrong in this respect is that he keeps trying to push his voice higher, while still smoking like a chimney and drinking like a fish and being in his 60s. Plant at least finally came to the conclusion that he had to adjust his material to the physical realities of his vocal cords as an older man. I'm guessing a lot of his objection to any further Zeppelin reunions is that he knows he sounds ridiculous trying to reproduce the high notes that he made when he was 19 years old. Until medical science makes vocal cord transplants possible, that's probably the most reasonable solution available.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

If the original 4 toured, it would be interesting to see the financials post-tour.

And I don't go to hear Dave sing. If it is singing I want, I will go listen to someone
    who can belt it out. Like the dude in Rival Sons. Or Tim Owens or some shit.

I go to see Dave the Entertainer.

I would love to see the original 4 JUST BECAUSE.

I don't need no valid muffakking reason.

But we will see. We can safely assume with Uncle Dave's patter in the interviews that the band might possibly be thinking of dreaming about the possibility of playing Yankee Stadium at some untold date months, years, or centuries in the future.

We will see what happens, won't we?

33. 3 users say thank you to Hardrock69 for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (01-14-2019),Jérôme Frenchise (01-10-2019),Terry (02-17-2019)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock69 View Post
    If the original 4 toured, it would be interesting to see the financials post-tour.

And I don't go to hear Dave sing. If it is singing I want, I will go listen to someone
    who can belt it out. Like the dude in Rival Sons. Or Tim Owens or some shit.

I go to see Dave the Entertainer.

I would love to see the original 4 JUST BECAUSE.

I don't need no valid muffakking reason.

But we will see. We can safely assume with Uncle Dave's patter in the interviews that the band might possibly be thinking of dreaming about the possibility of playing Yankee Stadium at some untold date months, years, or centuries in the future.

We will see what happens, won't we?
    I get all of that.

Even with Dave's vocals the way they are now, I'd still like to see the original 4, too.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Hell, I've heard Zeppelin bootlegs from as early as 1973 where Plant's voice is shot to Hell. Funny thing that happens to vocal cords when they age. I've never been a professional singer, but I used to be able to knock out a fairly decent Axl Rose impersonation when I was younger, and a decent amount of alcohol was involved. No chance in Hell of me doing that now.

The only thing that DLR has done wrong in this respect is that he keeps trying to push his voice higher, while still smoking like a chimney and drinking like a fish and being in his 60s. Plant at least finally came to the conclusion that he had to adjust his material to the physical realities of his vocal cords as an older man. I'm guessing a lot of his objection to any further Zeppelin reunions is that he knows he sounds ridiculous trying to reproduce the high notes that he made when he was 19 years old. Until medical science makes vocal cord transplants possible, that's probably the most reasonable solution available.
    I'm sure nowadays, given Plant's age, he obviously realizes that trying to recreate the Zep vocals would be a challenge.

However, since Bonham died, Plant has consistently said that for the band to continue on billed as Led Zeppelin wouldn't have been an honest thing to do. Considering the financial offers that have been on the table for a Zeppelin reunion since the late 1980s, the fact that Plant hasn't just cashed in boils down to one word: integrity.

When Plant DID get back with Page in the 1990s, it wasn't to try and recreate Zep note for note. The music was rearranged, and new things were tried.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by big fatty View Post
    So what the fuck is it you think you know???

Did you hear something from a crew member???

Spill the beens cough up the skinny otherwise the shit your peddling is just pansey ass gossip shit....

Your not a pansey ass gossip punk are you????
    Here's what I know... Prior to the 2007 tour Dave, Ed, Wolfgang and Steve Lukather recorded backing vocal tracks that were used during the live performances. Ed also recorded keyboards for at least I'll Wait and Jump. Every live song had a click track setting the timing which was mostly controlled by Al during the performances.

Sitting on the floor level on Wolfgang's side of the stage was a black square shaped tent... inside was the mixing unit and controls for the band's on-stage monitors and controls for the video screen production behind the band. Also included was the tech that controlled the click-track and keyed the keyboard tracks and manually triggered some of the backing vocals tracks.

It's not clear how much help Wolfgang got with any sort of pre-recorded bass track but on the songs with keyboards there were multiple shows where the kid wasn't touching his bass yet the bottom end was blasting out of the mains. Several posters here and at Links have observed this at multiple show. I saw it specifically during Jump at the Little Rock, AR performance... Wolf was flinging picks at his bass tech for a minute or two during the song with neither hand on his bass...

There ya have it...

37. 2 users say thank you to ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

big fatty (01-11-2019),Terry (01-12-2019)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-11-2024 @ 11:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,990 Times in 3,229 Posts

Blog Entries
    Here's what I know... Prior to the 2007 tour Dave, Ed, Wolfgang and Steve Lukather recorded backing vocal tracks that were used during the live performances. Ed also recorded keyboards for at least I'll Wait and Jump. Every live song had a click track setting the timing which was mostly controlled by Al during the performances.

Sitting on the floor level on Wolfgang's side of the stage was a black square shaped tent... inside was the mixing unit and controls for the band's on-stage monitors and controls for the video screen production behind the band. Also included was the tech that controlled the click-track and keyed the keyboard tracks and manually triggered some of the backing vocals tracks.

It's not clear how much help Wolfgang got with any sort of pre-recorded bass track but on the songs with keyboards there were multiple shows where the kid wasn't touching his bass yet the bottom end was blasting out of the mains. Several posters here and at Links have observed this at multiple show. I saw it specifically during Jump at the Little Rock, AR performance... Wolf was flinging picks at his bass tech for a minute or two during the song with neither hand on his bass...

There ya have it...
    Haha! Not only that, they had to reinforce the stage so it wouldn't collapse under the weight of the lard ass. Well Ed said his kid doesn't do drugs and I believe it. At least cocaine or some meth would burn off some of that fat.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:12 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,493 Times in 1,609 Posts

Val says the Jenny Craig was for her, but it was really for Wolfie...

Heisenberg
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

There ya have it...
    Ok thanks - Sounds like a reasonable explanation I guess.

I was focused on Ed & David for the most part & wasn't close enough to the stage to notice anything unusual. Not that I would've been looking anyways.

One thing that definetly stuck out immediately was the overwhelming bombastic bass was louder than hell....very apparent....almost to the point of overkill....kind of a muddy mess of a mix .

Ed's guitar tone immediately struck me as being a little too thin & brittle....not at all as deep full & powerful as I remembered from the other VH shows in '81, '82, '84, & the '86 show which was the last time I saw Ed live before the 2007 tour.

Either way- as far as the Wolf commentary....on one hand it's a huge compliment in the event he actually didn't have a little help...

But of course most commentary being that he wasnt professional enough & needed help...which I'm thinking should be considered an insult of some sort.

There really should be some youtube clips to show proof of the allegations.

Wolfs recent tweets are what peaked my curiousity. Can't say I've seen any definitive proof one way or the other but will take your word for it as you say you noticed something up close during Jump at the Little Rock show. So I'll look that up & take a look see.

Thanks again.

Also- I want to apologize for some of the snippy demeanor & attitude of my post. Actually thought I made this post at VH Links & was expecting someone to get pissy about it....but then couldn't find the damn post. Sometimes I'm having beers & whatnot when I post about VH on the net. Actually pretty much the only time I'll post at all.

I know Sesh & a lot of you guys have to pony up dough to keep the site online so I'll just take this chance to say thanks.

41. Thanked big fatty for this KICKASS post:

ZahZoo (01-12-2019)

Heisenberg
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Haha- Wolfie....hungry like a Wolf with an appetite for production.

These are the kinda posts that throw me for a loop....one one hand it's kinda funny....but on the other hand...really kinda cheap & devoid of substance.

Not that I have any stake in a claim one way or the other.

I'm just thinking back to all those years before 2007....

Mike always seemed quite content without David....can't say I noticed too many compliments from Mike about David....at all ever...

But then in 2007 a huge portion of the VH fanbase have a cow about Mike being ousted....

Almost to the point of overshadowing what was really important....having David & Edward back onstage together...

I'll be honest....I honestly didn't give a fuck at all about Mike back then....couldn't care less....

I was just glad to finally see David onstage in VH with Ed & Al....that was paramount....Mike was just an unfortunate casualty at the time....

Of course can't say I was elated to have a teenager fill in on bass....really took away from the overall image & visual aspect....

But Dave back is what matters. At the time really never actually expected them to keep it together this long. Still now surprised all things considered.

43. Thanked big fatty for this KICKASS post:

1980Invasion (02-28-2019)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    One thing to remember about the 2007/8 tour... smart phone technology was in it's infancy. The gawd-damned iPhone had just made it's debut in June 2007. So you wouldn't find as much nor as good of quality smart phone recordings during that tour. Most of the good/decent video posted on youtube was from hard core boot-leggers smuggling digital video cameras into the venues.

No worries about "snippy demeanor & attitude" here... it's welcomed, celebrated and generously shared among the knuckleheads that still hang out here!

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-21-2021 @ 06:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks

"You want us to sing seriously? Go, buy the record!"

Dean Martin, 1962 live at Villa Venice, Chicago

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

46. Thanked DavidLeeNatra for this KICKASS post:

Seshmeister (01-14-2019)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by big fatty View Post
    And where's that Von Halen fruitcup???

Whats up with his article thats still on the front page about VH hooking up with Hagar in 2017???

Funny how none of you flakes ever actually explain yourselfs....just leave your fake bullshit lies posted for all to see long after its clearly seen as the bullshit that it is.
    There was an explanation back at the time in a couple of places including on a Podcast at http://api.spreaker.com/download/epi...army_final.mp3

Quick summary is 2 completely unconnected people connected to Eddie Van Halen told us the story with a week of each other so for the only time ever we did run a rumor on the front page.

To then go back and remove that mistake would be a dick move especially after people had commented on it so much, we stand by our fuck ups around here.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    If we went back and removed every post that turned out to not be true and the associated comments and nonsense... hell, the site would be 60% smaller!!

Part of the fabric of being a Roth/VH fan is sorting through all the bullshit that surrounds those jackasses!!

49. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (01-15-2019)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    If we went back and removed every post that turned out to not be true and the associated comments and nonsense... hell, the site would be 60% smaller!!

Part of the fabric of being a Roth/VH fan is sorting through all the bullshit that surrounds those jackasses!!
    Sort of along the lines of walking the beach with a metal detector: you get a signal, start digging, and more often than not come up with a bottle cap than buried treasure.

51. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (01-16-2019)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I didn't hear everything but the local classic rock station night DJ said he heard about a phone interview with Eddie in (maybe?) Golf Magazine. He said Ed blathered on about his gold game that is stellar even though he rarely practices. At the end he was asked about the reunion rumors involving Mike, and said something like "there's a big fucking coyote in my backyard, gotta go!"

Take that for what you may...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Eddie Van Halen Breaks Silence With First Interview Since Reunion Rumors
    By Brett Buchanan - Jan 16, 2019 14

Van Halen reunion rumors ran rampant in late 2018 as David Lee Roth said the band were doing ‘the original thing’ this summer, hinting at a Yankee Stadium show in New York. SiriusXM radio host Eddie Trunk then said rumors of a tour had been relayed to him by two music industry sources, and that Michael Anthony was rumored to return on bass after 15 years.

Eddie Van Halen has now given his first interview of 2019 in a new issue of Golf Magazine, though he did not discuss the status of Van Halen, and may have sidestepped questions about the band in a hilarious way.

He said he isn’t competitive when playing golf.

“Naw. I’ll hit a good ball and then two bad ones. I don’t even keep score, man. What’s the point? I know it’s going to be in the hundreds. The worst thing is my putting. The thing is: I never practice.”

He also said, “If you really want to be good you have to spend the time, like I did learning to play guitar. That’s how many hours you got to put in if you really want to be a pro or really, really good. You got to go out there and hit buckets and buckets and buckets of balls.”

The interview ended abruptly before any music questions could be asked, including potentially discussing the rumored Van Halen reunion.

He said, “I gotta go. There’s a coyote in my backyard. Big fucker.”

As rumors of a 2019 original Van Halen lineup reunion have run rampant, Michael Anthony recently denied the rumors to Premiere Radio a couple of weeks ago, saying he hadn’t talked to the band in years. Popular radio host Eddie Trunk, who previously said he had heard rumors from sources about a reunion tour following David Lee Roth’s comments, said he isn’t completely buying Anthony’s denial a couple of weeks ago. Alternative Nation transcribed his comments from his SiriusXM radio program.

“As I just said, do you think Michael Anthony is going to tell me, Sal [from Premiere Radio], or Loudwire anyone else, ‘Yeah, by the way, I just talked to the guys, we’re rehearsing right now. The tour gets announced new years day, we’re going out with such and such! Go ahead, and say it!’ Of course not! So here is overreaction the other way, because Michael essentially pleaded the fifth, which you would completely expect him to do, what is he going to do? If you are told not to say anything, you can’t say anything! ‘Now it’s off, now it’s over, there’s nothing to it.’ It’s ridiculous. Oh my god, this is what I mean, is when you read through whether it be Twitter, which I favor, or any of the social media outlets or websites, when it is on the web and you see these headlines and stuff, you’ve got to consider it for what it is.

You’ve got to take a beat and really think about it. So two days ago, ‘Confirmed! Van Halen reunion full go, stadiums.’ You got a date with Foo Fighters at Yankee Stadium, Michael Anthony to, ‘No, not happening, Michael Anthony said he hasn’t heard from anybody.’ Of course! The ring and yang here is ridiculous, just take a second and apply some logic to it. Is the guy that has been out of the band forever, if he was back in the band, do you really think he’s the one who is going to break the news ahead of an official statement?”

He later said, “With guys, even if you know them, aren’t going to show their hand. I’ll give you one more, Ace Frehley. Everybody knows I’m tight with Ace. Ace Frehley leading into the KISS reunion didn’t tell me it was happening. I mean, I am close with the guys, I signed him to his record deal back in the day, his solo deal. I went to the Unplugged, I was in the audience of the MTV Unplugged, 3 or 4 days before that happened. I wasn’t saying anything (laughs). You don’t want to get off on the wrong foot leaking something, so just keep all of this in perspective both ways. Don’t get too high, don’t get too low on anything.”

http://www.alternativenation.net/edd...eunion-rumors/

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure there's enough there to qualify that as an interview... Hardly a comment in passing...

Thread Information