Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,554 Times in 3,443 Posts

The actual interview is in some golf rag I think. Apparently Ed thought they'd only ask golf question...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And what did Ed do with the coyote?

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    It was probably Fagar dressed up as a coyote stalking Eddie.

Lol.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

4. Thanked Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

Terry (02-17-2020)

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-21-2021 @ 06:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    Get him some Smoking Loon...

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

6. Thanked DavidLeeNatra for this KICKASS post:

Terry (01-18-2019)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,337 Times in 6,024 Posts

As you get older do you not just lose interest in reading interviews from musicians and sportsmen a bit - especially one talking about the other?

He said he isn’t competitive when playing golf.

“Naw. I’ll hit a good ball and then two bad ones. I don’t even keep score, man. What’s the point? I know it’s going to be in the hundreds. The worst thing is my putting. The thing is: I never practice.”

He also said, “If you really want to be good you have to spend the time, like I did learning to play guitar. That’s how many hours you got to put in if you really want to be a pro or really, really good. You got to go out there and hit buckets and buckets and buckets of balls.”
    Who knew? In other news bears shit in the woods.

I'm not blaming Ed for answering pointless questions with pointless answers just saying it's maybe a waste of everyone's time.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-17-2024 @ 01:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,481 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    I'm not sure there's enough there to qualify that as an interview... Hardly a comment in passing...
    Eddie finally broke his silence...to give us...golfing tips?

About as useful as Roth breaking his silence to promote...tattoo wax?

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    As you get older do you not just lose interest in reading interviews from musicians and sportsmen a bit - especially one talking about the other?

Who knew? In other news bears shit in the woods.

I'm not blaming Ed for answering pointless questions with pointless answers just saying it's maybe a waste of everyone's time.

I'd say, in general, yeah.

Even when I was younger, I never cared much what any athletes had to SAY about anything, or anything they were doing if they weren't playing.

I used to be quite into reading/watching interviews from musicians when I was younger. Now? Not nearly as much. Mostly because there are VERY few musicians who have much that is worth hearing about in an interview context.

Like, say, Frank Zappa was a good interview subject. John Lennon was a good interview subject. Robert Plant was/is a good interview subject. David Lee Roth has always been an entertaining/good interview subject. Pete Townshend was a good interview subject. Bob Dylan was a good interview subject. I may be forgetting a few others, but that's really about it far as musicians being good interview subjects. And that's fine: musicians should be good at music, with anything else like the ability to give a good interview being a bonus.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:11 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,078 Times in 1,996 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Eddie finally broke his silence...to give us...golfing tips?

About as useful as Roth breaking his silence to promote...tattoo wax?
    He did a similar interview back in 2001 that ended up in Maximum Golf magazine... that was the beginning of the dark times... cancer, divorce, Smoking Loon, Hagar reunion...

11. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Terry (02-17-2019)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    He did a similar interview back in 2001 that ended up in Maximum Golf magazine... that was the beginning of the dark times... cancer, divorce, Smoking Loon, Hagar reunion...
    Yeah, I'd say post-Van Halen III / late 1999 through until the spring of 2007 was certainly the dark times for Eddie.

Whatever one thought about the decision not to do more with Dave in 1996 and forge ahead with Cherone, at least with the Van Halen III period Eddie WAS forging ahead in some manner. After that, Eddie seemed like he was in free fall. Wouldn't wish cancer on anybody, but by all accounts Eddie was still getting fucked up after the bout with cancer: by 2006, he looked terrible, and the 2004 Hagar tour along with the 2006 Namm show display demonstrated that he wasn't particularly playing well anymore, either. By the end of 2006, I wouldn't have been surprised if Ed had died, because he just totally let himself go and didn't appear to give a fuck anymore.

Point of fact, it took Eddie until the 2012 tour to really start firing on all cylinders again, guitar-wise, and apply himself enough to where he could recreate the CVH catalog live to where it was worth paying money to see.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Hagar reunion...

14. Thanked Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

Terry (02-17-2020)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

On a new episode of his SiriusXM show, Eddie Trunk discussed the rumored reunion of the original Van Halen lineup. While Sammy Hagar has expressed an interest in the last few years as joining forces with the original lineup with both he and David Lee Roth sharing vocals, Eddie Trunk said Van Halen are not interested in Hagar joining a potential reunion. Alternative Nation transcribed his comments.

“The other thing, without getting into details or revealing sources, is that the issues and the disinterest in working with or doing anything with Sammy Hagar ever again from Van Halen is as high as it has ever been. Meaning forget about it, if anything happens with Van Halen, anybody that thinks, and I think people mostly knew this, but anybody who thinks that there is any play whatsoever in potential activity with Hagar, uh nuh.
    http://www.alternativenation.net/van...ZxkbvdMq1Pjmd0

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Trunk is a fucking idiot.

“The other thing, without getting into details or revealing sources, is that the issues and the disinterest in working with or doing anything with Sammy Hagar ever again from Van Halen is as high as it has ever been. Meaning forget about it, if anything happens with Van Halen, anybody that thinks, and I think people mostly knew this, but anybody who thinks that there is any play whatsoever in potential activity with Hagar, uh nuh.

There are issues, we’ll leave it at that. I don’t get in the middle of this stuff, I don’t know what’s real and what’s not, I just know from the Van Halen side, there is as strong as ever a disinterest in dealing with or working with Sammy for reasons, rumors that I hear, but I don’t know. I love Sammy, as everybody knows he’s a friend, I think he’s a tremendous guy, but there’s stuff that goes on that we don’t know about, apparently.
    This is not fucking Agatha Christie. It's not a big fucking mystery.

Read his book which he didn't need to write since he had plenty of cash.

Not only was it a betrayal and a hatchet job on the Van Halen's, there were a ton of lies in there too.

Why the fuck would the Van Halen's ever go back to Hagar after that when they don't need to. Would you?
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 01-20-2019 at 11:22 PM.

17. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (02-17-2020)

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Not only was it a betrayal and a hatchet job on the Van Halen's, there were a ton of lies in there too.

Why the fuck would the Van Halen's ever go back to Hagar after that when they don't need to. Would you?
    Agreed.

Sammy will forever be a footnote in VH history. He has to be.

Van Hagar was a thing that unfortunately happened and unfortunately went for as long as it did. They have no interest going back with him and never will.

The few Van Hagar lovers out there like Trunk won't stop.

Van HALEN was and will always be Dave's band as much as the Van Halen's. Eddie knows this.

19. Thanked Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

Edwards3rdWife (01-23-2019)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,493 Times in 1,609 Posts

Trunk was in LA for the Chris Cornell tribute last week and said Irving Azoff was backstage and Trunk says he wanted to introduce himself to Azoff and ask about VH. Like Azoff would say anything.

More importantly, Trunk says that there is "disinterest" in the VH camp about Hagar ever being involved in VH ever again. Of course Trunk won't go into what he's heard and that he loves Hagar and they're friends but there is nothing on the Hagar front.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    Trunk was in LA for the Chris Cornell tribute last week and said Irving Azoff was backstage and Trunk says he wanted to introduce himself to Azoff and ask about VH. Like Azoff would say anything.

More importantly, Trunk says that there is "disinterest" in the VH camp about Hagar ever being involved in VH ever again. Of course Trunk won't go into what he's heard and that he loves Hagar and they're friends but there is nothing on the Hagar front.
    The has never been anything on the Hagar front since the last tour in 2004.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-21-2021 @ 06:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
    The has never been anything on the Hagar front since the last tour in 2004.
    Thank the almighty God!

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

23. Thanked DavidLeeNatra for this KICKASS post:

Terry (01-24-2019)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Well, Sammy just had to let everybody know that the 2004 tour wasn't his fault in terms of the shitty result, and that [Hagar] couldn't back out of the tour once it started despite knowing how fucked up Eddie was because he would have been on the hook for substantial financial penalties.

I'll buy what Sammy had to say about the 2004 tour in terms of it being truthful: it was no secret that Eddie was in dreadful shape.

Probably wasn't the smartest move for Hagar in 2008 to write the book - even, again, assuming 2004 was all Eddie's fault - if he thought he would like to tour with the band again.

If I do the math, Hagar has spent a total of one year with the band since 1996. And it was a shitty year. By Hagar's account, he hasn't directly spoken to the Van Halens in 15 years. Doesn't sound like the Van Halens think there is some great friendship with Hagar that only another tour could repair, considering the frequency of contact they've had with the guy since 1996.

And I think you're right in that the Van Halens don't need the money. They can always do another tour with Roth to fill the coffers.

Having said all of that, should another Van Hagar tour be announced tomorrow, said news wouldn't shock me in the least.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Agreed.

Sammy will forever be a footnote in VH history. He has to be.

Van Hagar was a thing that unfortunately happened and unfortunately went for as long as it did. They have no interest going back with him and never will.

The few Van Hagar lovers out there like Trunk won't stop.

Van HALEN was and will always be Dave's band as much as the Van Halen's. Eddie knows this.
    Think just in terms of the amount of commercial success Van Halen had with Hagar - only half the amount of records sold as with Roth, but even so still an appreciable amount of records (around 20 million, if memory serves) sold - that Hagar will be regarded as more than a footnote in VH history.

I mean, Gary Cherone certainly will be regarded as a footnote, to be sure. Hagar's tenure was far more successful.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not a fan of Hagar. Also, one can argue that Van Hagar's initial commercial success re: 5150 owed as much to what CVH had spent the previous decade building as it did the musical output Hagar and the band produced (a bit telling that each subsequent Van Hagar record sold a little less than the one before it, regardless of how many #1 charting records and top 40 singles Van Hagar had vs. CVH...and this trend was established well before a "grunge effect" could have had any discernable impact). Even so, putting my own lukewarm feelings about Hagar/Van Hagar to one side, the fact of the matter is Sam Halen had an appreciable level of commercial success...more than enough success to elevate Hagar beyond being a footnote to the general public.

As to Trunk, it's hard for me to believe he actually prefers what Hagar did with Van Halen over Roth, even though he says he does. It was just plain weird when Trunk said Van Halen's first 4 albums were their best, yet he still thought the music got better when Hagar joined (?) : like, what the fuck does that even mean?

It was weird in that when CVH was active, probably 50% or better of what the band was doing that attracted me was concentrated solely on Eddie's guitar playing. That wasn't to say I thought the rest of the band wasn't shit hot at the time. When Roth left in 1985, I was bummed, but didn't automatically assume that Van Halen wouldn't be able to continue making great music without Roth. By the time 1985 rolled around, well...I wasn't thrilled with the Crazy From The Heat EP: the promo videos were great, but the musical content itself...not what I wanted to hear Dave doing. If anything, at the time of the split, I assumed that Van Halen would continue to kick ass and Dave would continue on in the Crazy From The Heat style musically. The odd part was it took Roth leaving the band and the release of 5150 / EEAS for me to appreciate more than I had what Roth had brought to Van Halen, and to realize more fully what Roth's departure meant.

Van Halen WAS Dave's band as much as the Van Halen's. Eddie may have chosen to forget this in the wake of the massive amount of acclaim he was receiving in the early 1980s due to his guitar playing and the cavalcade of mainstream music magazine critics who were dismissive of Roth to the point where they claimed Roth was an impediment to Eddie's spectacular playing...who knows, Eddie may have actually bought into that stuff. I think Eddie thought back then that Dave pulled his own weight creatively, but that without having hooked up with a guitar player like Eddie, Roth would have been nothing. I think Eddie still believes this. I think Eddie believes deep down that he and his brother did Dave a favor 12 years ago getting him back in the band, rather than admitting that by the time 2007 rolled around Dave and the Van Halens needed each other just as much if they wanted to continue playing packed arenas.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by klimbo View Post
    yes exactly you are right and everyone knows that the 2004 tour was not his fault but because of the catastrophic result
    The thing that gets me about Hagar's 2003/2004 reunion rationalizations is laid out by Hagar in his own book, though.

Hagar claims that Eddie Van Halen was in clearly visible bad shape when he first went to meet him in late 2003/early 2004. Assumedly before any tour contracts had been signed, I'm guessing. Hagar also describes in detail how befuddled Eddie was throughout the writing/recording process of the new Van Hagar tracks on BOBW during early 2004. Hagar also describes in detail how befuddled Eddie was during the rehearsals for the 2004 tour. All of which paints a picture of Eddie as not being in any type of condition to play at his best.

Hagar never describes the reunion process as a situation of Eddie being relatively sober and competent during the initial meetings, writing/recording and tour rehearsals, then going on to have some sort of relapse just before the tour started. Hagar describes Eddie as having been fucked up from the get-go, and Hagar said he assumed Eddie at some point would get cleaned up enough to go out and play a decent tour.

In the end, to my mind Hagar is just as responsible for not making the judgement call that Eddie wasn't capable of doing any better than he ended up doing in 2004 as far as the end result goes. I mean, considering the condition Eddie was in, I find it simply not believable that Hagar (if he cared about the fans as much as he later claims he did) wouldn't have insisted that Eddie either get demonstrably clean before any tour contracts were signed or Hagar simply wasn't going to go ahead with the tour. However, none of that happened. Hagar went ahead, did the tour, grinned his way through all of it knowing how shitty the performances were, took his money, fucked off into Chickenfoot obscurity, then waited a few years to make a few more bucks off that shitty tour by telling us all how shitty the experience was.

All of which tells me as much about Hagar's character as it does Eddie's: Eddie clearly had his addiction issues running rampant and unaddressed in 2004...what was Hagar's excuse? Hagar claims he didn't need the money in 2004...how much of it did he give back to "the fans" by way of refunds when that whole debacle was over?

27. 2 users say thank you to Terry for this KICKASS post:

chuckjitsu (02-09-2019),Seshmeister (01-27-2019)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

In the end, to my mind Hagar is just as responsible for not making the judgement call that Eddie wasn't capable of doing any better than he ended up doing in 2004 as far as the end result goes. I mean, considering the condition Eddie was in, I find it simply not believable that Hagar (if he cared about the fans as much as he later claims he did) wouldn't have insisted that Eddie either get demonstrably clean before any tour contracts were signed or Hagar simply wasn't going to go ahead with the tour. However, none of that happened. Hagar went ahead, did the tour, grinned his way through all of it knowing how shitty the performances were, took his money, fucked off into Chickenfoot obscurity, then waited a few years to make a few more bucks off that shitty tour by telling us all how shitty the experience was.
    Exactly.

The only consolation being they were only ripping off money from Van Hagar fans (and Von) ...

29. 2 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (01-27-2019),ZahZoo (01-29-2019)

GOOD GOD, YA'LL
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-04-2019 @ 10:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Beating up on Roth again yesterday

https://youtu.be/xqFpteJE0Bo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-29-2021 @ 06:13 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I think Van Halen is very important to not only rock music but american pop culture as a whole.

It was genre defining, innovative and creative in multiple ways.

Van Hagar feels like it just sort of "existed" from 1986-1995. I think people were still drawn to it because of the work Eddie was still doing but I imagine it wasn't as much of a "show' to go to ala during the Dave years.

I think with Hagar...I don't think he would be all that relevant sans Eddie. I view him more like one would "Foriegner", "Loverboy", "Reo Speedwagon" or "Styx". Groups that were popular for their time but exist in that bizarre pre-MTV/Post-Zeppelin AOR rock bubble.

Hell I went to see the Smashing Pumpkins TWICE this year and their "warm up" playlist was tracks off of "Fair Warning", "Van Halen II", and "Woman and Children First" consistently when I was there.

That's a band that has been critically acclaimed and came out of the Indie/Alt. movement of the 1990's.

32. Thanked Unchainme for this KICKASS post:

Terry (02-17-2020)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,493 Times in 1,609 Posts

And now the "Real Music Observer" checks in

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

What a fucking tool. I turned it off after the "Love Shack" comment...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-11-2024 @ 11:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,990 Times in 3,229 Posts

Blog Entries
    Well the glass is either half empty or half full. I just look at it this way. If Sammy Hagar can be successful anyone can. So when you start feeling like a failure just think hey that loser Sammy Hagar found success and if he can anyone can. Haha!

36. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (02-01-2019)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-11-2024 @ 11:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,990 Times in 3,229 Posts

Blog Entries
    Who cares about Van Halen at this point. The excitement went out the window a long time ago. Also if Michael Anthony does something with Van Halen after they way they screwed him I will have zero respect for him. Because he hangs with Sammy I almost have no respect for him already. Oh well we have been heard all this shit as long as the internet has existed. Roth finally did something with them and I would say what you saw last time was about as good as VH can do these days. Ed isn't going to whip out something new and magical like Mean Street at his age. The last VH album was all old songs reworked.

38. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (02-01-2019)

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The thing that gets me about Hagar's 2003/2004 reunion rationalizations is laid out by Hagar in his own book, though.

Hagar claims that Eddie Van Halen was in clearly visible bad shape when he first went to meet him in late 2003/early 2004. Assumedly before any tour contracts had been signed, I'm guessing. Hagar also describes in detail how befuddled Eddie was throughout the writing/recording process of the new Van Hagar tracks on BOBW during early 2004. Hagar also describes in detail how befuddled Eddie was during the rehearsals for the 2004 tour. All of which paints a picture of Eddie as not being in any type of condition to play at his best.

Hagar never describes the reunion process as a situation of Eddie being relatively sober and competent during the initial meetings, writing/recording and tour rehearsals, then going on to have some sort of relapse just before the tour started. Hagar describes Eddie as having been fucked up from the get-go, and Hagar said he assumed Eddie at some point would get cleaned up enough to go out and play a decent tour.

All of which tells me as much about Hagar's character as it does Eddie's: Eddie clearly had his addiction issues running rampant and unaddressed in 2004...what was Hagar's excuse? Hagar claims he didn't need the money in 2004...how much of it did he give back to "the fans" by way of refunds when that whole debacle was over?
    Hagar is an opportunist.

Always was.

In 1985 he walked into a band that had built an incredible career and he saw $$$$. But they had no producer, manager, tour and production crew and a singer.

They dumped everyone.

Hagar brought in all his people and they went to work on 5150. Even then it still took them months to finish that album.

It was never about Van Halen to Hagar. It was always about him - how he can maximize his earnings. And he cashed in for ten years.

The 2004 reunion was no different. Hagar saw $$$ once again and it didn't matter how fucked up Eddie was. He went out and did the tour.

40. Thanked Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

Terry (02-01-2019)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Well the glass is either half empty or half full. I just look at it this way.
    There's one other option that most folks overlook... it's far better than the traditional, limited perspective... with infinite opportunities. The glass is refillable!!

Next round is on me!!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Who cares about Van Halen at this point. The excitement went out the window a long time ago. Also if Michael Anthony does something with Van Halen after they way they screwed him I will have zero respect for him. Because he hangs with Sammy I almost have no respect for him already. Oh well we have been heard all this shit as long as the internet has existed. Roth finally did something with them and I would say what you saw last time was about as good as VH can do these days. Ed isn't going to whip out something new and magical like Mean Street at his age. The last VH album was all old songs reworked.
    I'd say that's about right in terms of the whole last 12 years of being reunited with Roth, in that the net result was about as good as could have been expected considering the amount of years wasted, advancing age and self-abuse.

Mike Anthony...obviously, I don't know the guy, have no idea how or what he thinks. I can get why he enjoys Hagar's company over that of the Van Halens. I seem to recall Roth once saying that Anthony allowed himself to be put under the thumb of the Van Halens because Roth refused to do so. In that sense, it's kind of hard for me to feel too sorry for Anthony being chucked out of the band in the end, because Anthony allowed himself to be treated as little more than a salaried employee by the Van Halens going as far back as the early 1980s.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Hagar is an opportunist.

Always was.

In 1985 he walked into a band that had built an incredible career and he saw $$$$. But they had no producer, manager, tour and production crew and a singer.

They dumped everyone.

Hagar brought in all his people and they went to work on 5150. Even then it still took them months to finish that album.

It was never about Van Halen to Hagar. It was always about him - how he can maximize his earnings. And he cashed in for ten years.

The 2004 reunion was no different. Hagar saw $$$ once again and it didn't matter how fucked up Eddie was. He went out and did the tour.
    You notice the difference between 2004 and 2007, where Eddie went and cleaned up before the 2007 tour started.

As to if Ed going to rehab was due to Roth's insistence, or was something promoters told Azoff needed to happen because of the 2004 mess, or was something Azoff insisted to pre-empt promoter concerns, who the fuck knows?

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Hagar is an opportunist.

Always was.

They dumped everyone.

That's another thing that has always stuck in my craw re: Hagar.

Back in 1985, I knew who Hagar was. Didn't actively dislike the guy or his musical output prior to 1985. Never thought much of what Hagar had done prior to 1985 was particularly special/exceptional, either.

But I do recall the rounds of press when Hagar first joined Van Halen, and there is Hagar taking potshots at Roth along with the rest of Van Halen in interviews. Back then, I remember wondering where Hagar got the balls to say anything about Roth: it was one thing for Eddie and Roth to trade barbs in the press, but Sammy basically got a winning lottery ticket by accident. Sammy walked into the lead singer slot of a band that was already selling millions and millions of records and breaking attendance records in arenas across the country, neither of which accurately describes Sammy's career up to and including 1985. Sammy's entire career and profile took a big leap just by virtue of him joining Van Halen, yet Sammy continually pretends otherwise and insists that his solo career was on a par in commercial terms with what Van Halen was doing from 1978 to 1984. It just wasn't.

And Hagar's lies extended to his tenure with Van Halen, where he still claims his version of Van Halen was more commercially successful. It just wasn't. Yet a bunch of lazy rock journalists seem to equate the amount of #1 albums and top 40 singles with the amount of albums sold overall and still that myth of Van Hagar being commercially successful persists.

The persistent amount of lies Hagar has told regarding raw data - nothing to do with "who the 'better' singer was" - tells me that Hagar knows what the truth is and is just embarrassed, mostly because he really does believe he is a better singer/musician than Roth and can't understand why the reality doesn't match Hagar's lies.

Gimme head till I'm dead
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    01-03-2021 @ 04:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Hagar was a one-hit wonder as a solo act. Even then, it wasn't that successful. you never hear Van hagar on the radio (what's left of it) now.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Igosplut View Post
    Hagar was a one-hit wonder as a solo act. Even then, it wasn't that successful. you never hear Van hagar on the radio (what's left of it) now.
    He had a mild degree of success as a solo act from 1976 to 1984. Certainly mild when compared with what Van Halen were doing during the bulk of that same period: he had a couple of gold albums, and a couple of platinum albums.

Wasn't a total flop in commercial terms, but certainly not the massively successful solo artist who joined Van Halen and by doing so pushed them to greater commercial heights as he has always portrayed.

And you're right in that one never really hears virtually any solo Hagar on the radio anymore. Maybe once in blue moon I'll hear I Can't Drive 55...or One Way To Rock, but that's pretty rare.

Had Hagar not joined Van Halen when he did, it'd be doubtful people would be talking about Hagar today.

47. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (02-02-2019)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    You notice the difference between 2004 and 2007, where Eddie went and cleaned up before the 2007 tour started.

As to if Ed going to rehab was due to Roth's insistence, or was something promoters told Azoff needed to happen because of the 2004 mess, or was something Azoff insisted to pre-empt promoter concerns, who the fuck knows?
    I'm under the impression that Ed going to rehab in 2006/7 had little, if anything, to do with Azoff and/or Roth... I'd suspect his new wife, son, ex-wife and brother were the primary catalysts in getting Ed on the sobriety path.

The interruption of the 2007 reunion tour and resumption in 2008 was most likely due to business contractual obligations.

49. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Terry (02-02-2019)

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'm under the impression that Ed going to rehab in 2006/7 had little, if anything, to do with Azoff and/or Roth... I'd suspect his new wife, son, ex-wife and brother were the primary catalysts in getting Ed on the sobriety path.

The interruption of the 2007 reunion tour and resumption in 2008 was most likely due to business contractual obligations.
    Dave has always wanted Ed to be on top of his game.

I'm sure when he and the band started to rehearse in 2006 that Dave noticed Ed was very off. And the 2007 tour was postponed until the fall - I believe they were ready to go in early 2007 from what I recall.

Dave has also stated that the main reason he initially left in '85 was because of Eddie's addictions. Drinking all day and other drug use when Dave wanted to get working on the follow up to 1984. He felt those vices also affected the music - and from the output Ed came out with post Roth - he was right.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Dave has always wanted Ed to be on top of his game.

I'm sure when he and the band started to rehearse in 2006 that Dave noticed Ed was very off. And the 2007 tour was postponed until the fall - I believe they were ready to go in early 2007 from what I recall.

Dave has also stated that the main reason he initially left in '85 was because of Eddie's addictions. Drinking all day and other drug use when Dave wanted to get working on the follow up to 1984. He felt those vices also affected the music - and from the output Ed came out with post Roth - he was right.
    I mean, if the NAMM show in late 2006 was anything to go by - along with that single publicity shot released in Jan 2007 - Ed was still fucked up: as a fan, I wouldn't have wanted the band to have started touring with Roth until Ed was in shape to do so properly, so I can't imagine Dave wouldn't have wanted the same.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I mean, if the NAMM show in late 2006 was anything to go by - along with that single publicity shot released in Jan 2007 - Ed was still fucked up: as a fan, I wouldn't have wanted the band to have started touring with Roth until Ed was in shape to do so properly, so I can't imagine Dave wouldn't have wanted the same.
    Exactly.

Though if that was Hagar he would've dragged Ed's drunken carcass out on tour as he did in 2004.

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-15-2024 @ 01:55 PM
    Status
    Thanks

He had a mild degree of success as a solo act from 1976 to 1984. Certainly mild when compared with what Van Halen were doing during the bulk of that same period: he had a couple of gold albums, and a couple of platinum albums.

Wasn't a total flop in commercial terms, but certainly not the massively successful solo artist who joined Van Halen and by doing so pushed them to greater commercial heights as he has always portrayed.

And you're right in that one never really hears virtually any solo Hagar on the radio anymore. Maybe once in blue moon I'll hear I Can't Drive 55...or One Way To Rock, but that's pretty rare.

Had Hagar not joined Van Halen when he did, it'd be doubtful people would be talking about Hagar today.
    Oh Sammy
    Last edited by VHscraps; 02-04-2019 at 06:11 PM.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Exactly.

Though if that was Hagar he would've dragged Ed's drunken carcass out on tour as he did in 2004.
    The timing of Hagar's complaints also makes his whole "I couldn't control how fucked up Eddie was in 2004 and I couldn't get out of doing the tour" batch of excuses ring hollow, in that Hagar didn't have much of anything to say publicly about the 2004 tour until the book came out and he did multiple interviews to promote the book 4 years after the tour ended: clearly, there wasn't an NDA prohibiting Hagar from talking about any of it after the tour was over. Thus, if Sammy was as upset about the whole situation as he later claimed, one would think he would have started publicly talking about the tour the moment it was over.

It wasn't until Sammy had something to sell 4 years after the tour was over that he started making public comments. He was more than content to take the tour money and go onstage, regardless of how fucked up Eddie was, and decided to double-dip years later by writing the book (which, naturally, absolved Hagar of ALL the blame) and giving the interviews.

55. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

chuckjitsu (02-09-2019)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VHscraps View Post