No announcement yet.

More VH talk from Eddie Trunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing this band will do going forward will be as great as in their prime... that ship sailed in the 20th century and sank. It's like a real ship wreck sitting at the bottom feeding smaller, new life forms...

There's still a market for guitar based Rock and a few generations that enjoy this genre... admittedly nothing on the scale of the 60's thru 90's. But among notable guitar wankers, EVH still sits at the top of historic guitar innovators and song writers, which even though some of the shine has worn off, he's still entertaining to watch/listen to live and his brother completes an unrivaled rhythmic team.

Roth could be entertaining again as well... but he'd have to control his impulses to push his vocal limits, especially in the higher registers and commit fully to staying within the original melodies on vocals. Not sure Dave can do that without some major medication dosage adjustment to keep his ADHD in check or just a simple dog shock collar that zaps his ass anytime he tries embellish a high note...

The window of opportunity for these guys to produce any new music and/or perform live is rapidly closing. I'd rather they give it a go at any quality level than just resign them to history never to be seen before our naked, steaming eyes one last time...
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

I like the idea of the dog shock collar whenever Roth goes for yet another strained yelp.

What made 1996 so appealing to me, even after the reunion fell short of a full album and tour, was that the BOV1 tracks showed some promise. Promise in that even if Van Roth 1996 hadn't in the end been able to rise to greater heights than they had the first time around - or even equal what they accomplished the first time around - that they weren't afraid to try.

Certainly, Eddie Van Halen endures as a legend in the pages of Guitar World magazine. It'd be silly to understate his degree of influence on rock guitarists in the 1980s who followed in his wake. Those first 6 Van Halen albums are among the best rock has offered, certainly among the best to have been released after bands like The Beatles, The Stones, Led Zep and the like either broke up, died off or passed their prime. I will say above all else in 2012 I enjoyed listening to Ed and Al live. As you say, one of the all-time great rock rhythmic teams, and they still display what got them there.

As you also say, the band has slowly resigned to rehashing, churning out their history. As to if they (perhaps correctly) think that's what the greater public basically wants from them now...who knows? The brightest spot of the last 12 years for me was the ADKOT release, in that for at least half of the album anyway were trying new stuff. Even with the new stuff that didn't work for me, I appreciated the attempt, because what was a downer in 1985 for me wasn't so much that I wouldn't get to see the band perform stuff they had already done again but that it seemed there was still more great stuff to come.
      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Originally posted by Nickdfresh View Post
        Well, what is the list of "stadium acts"? I know that the Stones are. U2 are. The Grateful Dead were. One Direction played the stadium here, but probably couldn't now. Selling out at least 60K seats on a regular basis is daunting to say the least. I guess there are country acts, but fuck me if I know one...
        Ed Sheeran

I kid you not. He sold out Miller Park (42k+) and completely fucked up traffic for 15 miles in any direction for HOURS (my 10 mile, 20 minute drive took nearly 90 minutes at 8pm on a Wednesday). Oh yeah, the guy pulled in $430m in 99 shows.

I don't get it, but what the fuck do I know? God damn Gingers.

Comment

Originally posted by FORD View Post
          Garth Brooks had a Hell of a lot more than one hit. He was the biggest performer of the 1990s in any musical genre, and he's somehow sold more records than Elvis Presley - though admittedly there's some cheating involved with those numbers, since he re-released his first 6 albums in a box set, with one track added to each disc (but the price was only $30, so it was a big seller). He later did the same thing with the second half of his career, and then a third box set which was all cover songs, again for a cheap price.

And "Friends In Low Places" ain't even his best song. Hard to narrow it down to one, but I'd probably go with "We Shall Be Free".

I still haven't seen the video of that Notre Dame show, but I'm hoping if he did lip sync that (or added canned vocals in post production, or whatever it was) that it was an isolated event for the TV network, and that his actual live performances are still, in fact, LIVE.

I would definitely see him in concert again, if he can still bring it like he did in 1997. Especially if the tickets are still cheap, compared to the standard arena prices of the day.
          I scored free tickets to a Garth show in '97 so while not really a Garth/country fan, I figured the price was right so what the hell. I had friends who were fans of his, so I was at least aware of some of his bigger tunes from that era. The dude delivered. The arena was packed and people sang along to basically every song. I was impressed. It was a good show. If memory serves, he sold out multiple nights at the arena.

Funny note to that show. Right before Friends in Low Places, he talked about the "3rd verse" to that song and how they were retiring that for this tour and wouldn't be doing it, which set off an uproar (for lack of a better term) from the crowd. After the uproar died down, he said well, if that's how you feel about it, we'll make an exception and do the 3rd verse, which of course caused the crowd to blow up. A couple of months ago I watched a live version of FiLP from 2014 and he did the same shtick about not doing the 3rd verse. Just funny to see artists doing the same shtick from literally decades earlier in their careers.

Comment

Trunk Doubles Down

Van Halen Member May Be Lying About Reunion: ‘You Can’t Piss Off The Boss’
            By Brett Buchanan - Dec 30, 2018 0

As rumors of a 2019 original Van Halen lineup reunion have run rampant, Michael Anthony recently denied the rumors to Premiere Radio, saying he hadn’t talked to the band in years. Popular radio host Eddie Trunk, who previously said he had heard rumors from sources about a reunion tour following David Lee Roth’s comments, said he isn’t completely buying Anthony’s denial. Alternative Nation transcribed his new comments from his SiriusXM radio program.

“As I just said, do you think Michael Anthony is going to tell me, Sal [from Premiere Radio], or Loudwire anyone else, ‘Yeah, by the way, I just talked to the guys, we’re rehearsing right now. The tour gets announced new years day, we’re going out with such and such! Go ahead, and say it!’ Of course not! So here is overreaction the other way, because Michael essentially pleaded the fifth, which you would completely expect him to do, what is he going to do? If you are told not to say anything, you can’t say anything! ‘Now it’s off, now it’s over, there’s nothing to it.’ It’s ridiculous. Oh my god, this is what I mean, is when you read through whether it be Twitter, which I favor, or any of the social media outlets or websites, when it is on the web and you see these headlines and stuff, you’ve got to consider it for what it is.

You’ve got to take a beat and really think about it. So two days ago, ‘Confirmed! Van Halen reunion full go, stadiums.’ You got a date with Foo Fighters at Yankee Stadium, Michael Anthony to, ‘No, not happening, Michael Anthony said he hasn’t heard from anybody.’ Of course! The ring and yang here is ridiculous, just take a second and apply some logic to it. Is the guy that has been out of the band forever, if he was back in the band, do you really think he’s the one who is going to break the news ahead of an official statement?”

He later said, “With guys, even if you know them, aren’t going to show their hand. I’ll give you one more, Ace Frehley. Everybody knows I’m tight with Ace. Ace Frehley leading into the KISS reunion didn’t tell me it was happening. I mean, I am close with the guys, I signed him to his record deal back in the day, his solo deal. I went to the Unplugged, I was in the audience of the MTV Unplugged, 3 or 4 days before that happened. I wasn’t saying anything (laughs). You don’t want to get off on the wrong foot leaking something, so just keep all of this in perspective both ways. Don’t get too high, don’t get too low on anything.”

Trunk also speculated about maybe an announcement very early in the new year, especially with the band having announced their album A Different Kind of Truth in January 2012.

He also said about Anthony’s reunion denial on his show, “You really think he is going to mess it up by telling me or anyone else in advance of when the band wants to release it? Come on, you can’t put people in positions like that, of course they’re going to deny, deny, deny until it can come out, if there’s anything going on.”

“You’re not going to jeopardize pissing off the boss, in this case that would be Eddie Van Halen, if you’ve got something cooking, a multimillion operation.”

LINK

Comment

Popular radio host Eddie Trunk,
              If you were going to choose an adjective for Trunk rather than popular can you think of a better one?

Dull
              Fat
              Inexplicable
              Tiresome
              Self-obsessed
              Shit
              Pasty
              Boring
              Mediocre
              Cunty
              Flatulent
              Twatty
              Arrogant
              Egotistical
              Pompous
              Smug
              Elephantine?

Comment

Popular? I still listen to rock radio, and would have no idea where to find this cunt....

Comment

Trunk is mostly on Sirius now, unless there's a syndication thing I don't know about. He's got a weekly show on Ozzy's Boneyard and then a daily talk show on the Volume channel, which I have never listened to.
                  Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

Interesting article... although the author mentions "applying logic" and playing one's cards right. May need to be reminded logic never applies to Van Halen... ever... and the last deck of cards any of those guys touched was left on the props table during filming of the Sopranos... Bada Bing™...

Comment

Popular? I still listen to rock radio, and would have no idea where to find this cunt....
                      Haven't seen or heard the guy since TMS on VH1 folded, unless it has been via a link on a thread here, although I don't have satellite radio, either.
                      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Van Halen Member May Be Lying About Reunion: ‘You Can’t Piss Off The Boss’
                        By Brett Buchanan - Dec 30, 2018 0

As rumors of a 2019 original Van Halen lineup reunion have run rampant, Michael Anthony recently denied the rumors to Premiere Radio, saying he hadn’t talked to the band in years. Popular radio host Eddie Trunk, who previously said he had heard rumors from sources about a reunion tour following David Lee Roth’s comments, said he isn’t completely buying Anthony’s denial. Alternative Nation transcribed his new comments from his SiriusXM radio program.

“As I just said, do you think Michael Anthony is going to tell me, Sal [from Premiere Radio], or Loudwire anyone else, ‘Yeah, by the way, I just talked to the guys, we’re rehearsing right now. The tour gets announced new years day, we’re going out with such and such! Go ahead, and say it!’ Of course not! So here is overreaction the other way, because Michael essentially pleaded the fifth, which you would completely expect him to do, what is he going to do? If you are told not to say anything, you can’t say anything! ‘Now it’s off, now it’s over, there’s nothing to it.’ It’s ridiculous. Oh my god, this is what I mean, is when you read through whether it be Twitter, which I favor, or any of the social media outlets or websites, when it is on the web and you see these headlines and stuff, you’ve got to consider it for what it is.

You’ve got to take a beat and really think about it. So two days ago, ‘Confirmed! Van Halen reunion full go, stadiums.’ You got a date with Foo Fighters at Yankee Stadium, Michael Anthony to, ‘No, not happening, Michael Anthony said he hasn’t heard from anybody.’ Of course! The ring and yang here is ridiculous, just take a second and apply some logic to it. Is the guy that has been out of the band forever, if he was back in the band, do you really think he’s the one who is going to break the news ahead of an official statement?”

He later said, “With guys, even if you know them, aren’t going to show their hand. I’ll give you one more, Ace Frehley. Everybody knows I’m tight with Ace. Ace Frehley leading into the KISS reunion didn’t tell me it was happening. I mean, I am close with the guys, I signed him to his record deal back in the day, his solo deal. I went to the Unplugged, I was in the audience of the MTV Unplugged, 3 or 4 days before that happened. I wasn’t saying anything (laughs). You don’t want to get off on the wrong foot leaking something, so just keep all of this in perspective both ways. Don’t get too high, don’t get too low on anything.”

Trunk also speculated about maybe an announcement very early in the new year, especially with the band having announced their album A Different Kind of Truth in January 2012.

He also said about Anthony’s reunion denial on his show, “You really think he is going to mess it up by telling me or anyone else in advance of when the band wants to release it? Come on, you can’t put people in positions like that, of course they’re going to deny, deny, deny until it can come out, if there’s anything going on.”

“You’re not going to jeopardize pissing off the boss, in this case that would be Eddie Van Halen, if you’ve got something cooking, a multimillion operation.”

LINK
                        Regardless of Trunk's blather, with anything Van Halen I'd only believe it when it actually comes to pass.

Not necessarily a slam against Trunk or the validity of his insider status. Has more to do with 20 + years of rumors and speculation that haven't panned out.
                        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

What if...

A Yankee Stadium show is this year's version of 2017's Classic East/West?
                          Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

"The ring and yang here is ridiculous, ...”
                            I'm so outta touch I have absolutely no idea what the "ring & yang" even means.
                            Originally posted by sadaist
                            I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

Comment

Originally posted by silverfish View Post
                              I'm so outta touch I have absolutely no idea what the "ring & yang" even means.
                              I caught that one too... no idea what ring and yang means. Figured it was just some dumbass that didn't know it's Yin Yang!!

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Trunk
                                I’ll give you one more, Ace Frehley. Everybody knows I’m tight with Ace. Ace Frehley leading into the KISS reunion didn’t tell me it was happening. I mean, I am close with the guys, I signed him to his record deal back in the day, his solo deal. I went to the Unplugged, I was in the audience of the MTV Unplugged, 3 or 4 days before that happened. I wasn’t saying anything (laughs). You don’t want to get off on the wrong foot leaking something, so just keep all of this in perspective both ways. Don’t get too high, don’t get too low on anything.
                                With that KISS reunion happening very early in the Internet days who was going to hear Trunk talking about it anyways? Would have taken a couple days to get out then.
                                Last edited by twonabomber; 01-01-2019, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X