X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by FORD
    Bottom line is that the US needs a firm commitment to a REAL infrastructure upgrade. And not the corporate giveaway bullshit/toll road privatization scam that Cheeto wants, but more along the lines of a 21st century version of what FDR & Eisenhower did. And yeah, that means the marginal tax rates are going to have to be where FDR & Eisenhower had them, in order to pay for it. Comes down to "spending" vs "investment".

Trillions of dollars wasted on endless wars which have nothing to do with the security of the US = spending.
    Infrastructure upgrades which create living wage jobs and allow for the creation of new US businesses = investment.

As far as the high speed rail routes go, in many cases it could be built parallel to existing rail or existing highways. If there are locations where this isn't possible, then property purchases would need to be made, but that's nothing that hasn't been done before (i.e. for the Interstate Highway system, the US highway system before that, or the existing railroads, etc.)
    Yeah and the truth of it is BOTH parties are at fault. Both supported expensive meddling overseas and both spend like drunken sailors. Of course we all know we could have built a lot of infrastructure for what we wasted in Iraq alone but I don't see any of the bullshitters, carpetbaggers and do nothings in Washington DC fixing any of it. That being said I don't see any place better in the world to move to. Every place has it's own problems. So enjoy the freak show and keep your dick hard and your powder dry. Just be glad you don't live in Venezuela and crack open a beer to celebrate that fact.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

It's like the Democrats and Republicans participate in the same orgy and then blame each other for getting cum on the new couch.

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
        I can't decide if the unprecedented rise in popularity of AOC is really because there's that many who believe her non-sense or if the rest of the political world is using her as a convenient distraction from all their nasty bullshit..?
        The amount of media attention she has gotten seems totally disproportionate with the amount of electoral success she has thus far had and the amount of actual, political power she currently wields. Some of her stances on various issues I agree with. Others, she comes across as very, very naïve...in both the positive and negative senses of the word. Then, I tend to remember that she's still fairly young: no shortage of kids in their 20s who discover Che Guevara, Karl Marx, Noam Chomsky and the like in their 101 prereq classes and suddenly think they're the first people to ever be enlightened about what a wonderful Utopia this world could be if only we all weren't so materialistic.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry
          The amount of media attention she has gotten seems totally disproportionate with the amount of electoral success she has thus far had and the amount of actual, political power she currently wields. Some of her stances on various issues I agree with. Others, she comes across as very, very naïve...in both the positive and negative senses of the word. Then, I tend to remember that she's still fairly young: no shortage of kids in their 20s who discover Che Guevara, Karl Marx, Noam Chomsky and the like in their 101 prereq classes and suddenly think they're the first people to ever be enlightened about what a wonderful Utopia this world could be if only we all weren't so materialistic.
          Yeah but she is an authoritarian. We are going to make everyone fall in line. The reality is people don't handle power well and that is why we have the checks and balances in our political system but it only works with people who act like adults and can compromise and come up with realistic solutions. There is a bigger problem than just plain greed. The real problem is a complete lack of ethics with a large percentage of our politicians and the complete lack of maturity in the individuals who are supposed to be serving the public while in office. The system isn't broken. The people in it are and I don't see anyone running who is any better so maybe the whole thing will blow itself out. I see things devolving to where people are just going to start ignoring the federal government and out of necessity state and local government will become more important than ever. Who knows maybe the US will splinter into several smaller countries. I don't see any realistic fixes. So load the bong and have a good smoke and enjoy watching Rome burn.

Comment

Working...