ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:24 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,493 Times in 1,609 Posts

Van Halen Singer David Lee Roth Allegedly Dissed Slash To His Face

Former Great White & Guns N’ Roses manager Alan Niven discussed Van Halen on a new episode of Rock Talk with Mitch Lafon. On the show, Niven and Lafon pull out their best Eddie Trunk and discuss the rumored Van Halen stadium tour, his thoughts on a Van Halen reunion with the original lineup, his favorite incarnation of Van Halen and a name drop of everyone’s favorite rock news site. Alternative Nation transcribed the comments.

Mitch Lafon: There are a lot of rumors coming out of NAMM that David Lee Roth, Michael Anthony and the rest of the Van Halen guys will go do a stadium tour. What are your thoughts? I will start with you Alan – do you care if Van Halen comes back and do you think they come back given all this sort of ‘where there’s smoke there’s fire’ kind of stuff?

Alan Niven: Well we are aware of various moments of Van Halen history. Wasn’t there a previous moment when they were going to reform and it evaporated with incredible alacrity? Hopefully, they go through with it, they will give pleasure to a lot of people if they go out there and I hope David [Lee Roth]’s up for it but I’m a little bit in the other singer camp with Van Halen.

Lafon: Really?!

Niven: Yeah, I really love the songs they did with D.L.R. but for a vocalist, I’m with the other guy a little bit. I don’t think I ever fully recovered from the Montrose album.

Lafon: Well hold on a second, I’ve always seen you like more ‘old school’, ‘pure’…etc and when you talk about ‘purist’ in the Van Halen camp it’s all about “Oh it’s the original lineup” and I would see you as thinking that Sammy Hagar in his era was too syrupy, too top 40, you know? So you’re more of a Sammy Hagar and Van Hagar fan?

Niven: I think I might be.

Lafon: Wow, there’s a revelation that will be on Alternative Nation by the time this hits.

Both laugh.

Niven: David’s an interesting character, shall we say. There was a moment in the United Kingdom where he made an unfortunate comment to me and Slash and I just looked at him and I just thought to myself, “You’re either the dumbest intelligent person I know or the most intelligent dumbass I know.” It was after Donnington and he made a really unfortunate comment about it. You know, if they get back together, have at it because I want to see people out there, I want to see people buying tickets, I would love to see them take out somebody who deserves to be exposed to their audience.

https://www.alternativenation.net/va...-dissed-slash/
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,279 Times in 4,710 Posts

God what a douche... his justification for being a Chedhead is that he liked the first Montrose album??

I liked the Montrose record too. Still have it on vinyl, in fact. But that doesn't excuse 4 albums of cheese ballad synth pop dreck, for fucks sake!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

3. 2 users say thank you to FORD for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (02-05-2019),Terry (02-05-2019)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:11 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,078 Times in 1,996 Posts

Blog Entries
    "Making an unfortunate comment" = Dissing Slash..?

WTF?

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-17-2024 @ 01:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,481 Posts

Blog Entries
    I thought the Donnington Roth thing was some sort of altercation between Dave and Axl...I can't remember the specifics of the story offhand now, but some sort of remark Dave made to Axl...possibly a remark in poor taste referencing the deaths in the crowd when G n R played Donnington (in...1988 or 1989)? I might be wrong...who the fuck knows? Probably some backstage, alcohol-fueled/coke-binge banter. I mean, who was Slash back in the late 1980s that Roth shouldn't have made an offhand remark to him, anyway: back in 1988, Slash was just some top hat-wearing junkie guitar player from an LA band, and not yet the 'icon' he went on to become.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-17-2024 @ 01:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,481 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    God what a douche... his justification for being a Chedhead is that he liked the first Montrose album??

I liked the Montrose record too. Still have it on vinyl, in fact. But that doesn't excuse 4 albums of cheese ballad synth pop dreck, for fucks sake!
    I liked the first Montrose record as well, but not really for anything in particular that Sammy Hagar brought to it. More for the guitar playing and the sound of the album, guitar-wise. Sammy's contribution to that album was adequate, but nothing exceptional to my ears. My guess is that most people who still talk about the first Montrose album are referencing the same things I am in terms of what they liked about it, because I've never really read or heard anyone say that the lyrics or vocals on that album were part of what they enjoyed.

That first Montrose album didn't really translate into any excellence re: the Van Hagar albums in terms of connectivity beyond the fact that Hagar sang in both bands, much the same in that the first Montrose album didn't really translate into anything exceptional re: Hagar's solo career post-Montrose/pre-Van Hagar. I'm not gonna lay all the blame for Van Hagar's wussified direction solely at Sammy's feet, because Ed was writing the music for the material, but clearly Hagar got lucky twice to hook up with some really great guitar players.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post

This Alan dude sounds like a complete assclown.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,337 Times in 6,024 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I thought the Donnington Roth thing was some sort of altercation between Dave and Axl...I can't remember the specifics of the story offhand now, but some sort of remark Dave made to Axl...possibly a remark in poor taste referencing the deaths in the crowd when G n R played Donnington (in...1988 or 1989)? I might be wrong...who the fuck knows? Probably some backstage, alcohol-fueled/coke-binge banter. I mean, who was Slash back in the late 1980s that Roth shouldn't have made an offhand remark to him, anyway: back in 1988, Slash was just some top hat-wearing junkie guitar player from an LA band, and not yet the 'icon' he went on to become.
    Guns N Roses were well on the rise at the time as the hot new band - video from the gig is the black and white stuff in the Paradise City video.

I would guess Roth would be feeling his star was fading at the time being 3rd on the bill under Kiss and Iron Maiden.

The comment he is alleged to have made about the 2 fans killed during the GNR set was along the lines of 'Hey don't worry it's England 10 people die every week at football games here' was to Axl and it wouldn't surprise me if Niven has got this mixed up in his head.

It was a dumb and no doubt intoxicated comment but whatever. His statement was bullshit, in 1985 there had been a fire at a football match killing 50 people but that was the only incident of people dying at football games in England apart from one teenager the same day elsewhere. There was a lot of trouble at football matches in England around that time though.

9. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (02-05-2019)

Thread Information