No announcement yet.

COS 1984 Article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can still remember getting that right after winter break in 8th Grade. Got home and popped that tape in and that fade out of 1984 and into Jump goosed the shit out of me. I remember hearing all the clanking around sounds in HFT and thinking they must have been having a party in the studio🤟😎🍺.

Fuck anyone who thinks Jump isn’t good. That big bass pumping up your wazoo. Simple uplift message and sick melodic solo. Looked cool as hell in the video.

Wish to God they would play it in its entirety w the original lineup on tour this summer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eat Us and Smile!
    Alright!!! Lemme' se yo hands!!

Comment

Originally posted by hain23x View Post
      I can still remember getting that right after winter break in 8th Grade. Got home and popped that tape in and that fade out of 1984 and into Jump goosed the shit out of me. I remember hearing all the clanking around sounds in HFT and thinking they must have been having a party in the studio������.

Fuck anyone who thinks Jump isn’t good. That big bass pumping up your wazoo. Simple uplift message and sick melodic solo. Looked cool as hell in the video.

Wish to God they would play it in its entirety w the original lineup on tour this summer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meh. Jump just never did that much for me. Simply a visceral thing: that type of music, along with I'll Wait, isn't what I wanted from CVH. Now, I wouldn't deny for a moment that Jump was an enormous commercial success for CVH and became one of the few tunes they created where it ended up having a broad/universal appeal that went far beyond that of rock audiences. Long as Van Halen and/or Roth is touring, I'd imagine they/he will be closing the show with Jump: it'd be hard for to imagine that NOT happening. Have always liked the video as well (in some ways, more than the song itself): cheap, simple performance video.
      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckjitsu View Post
        Didn't have a problem with the lyrics in 1984, don't have a problem with them now. And is "steak-headed sexuality" all you got? Get the fuck out of here with that. If you want "steak-headed sexuality", hold my beer and i'll get Sam on the phone for you.
        The one thing I did notice back in the 1980s - and I think I've probably mentioned this before - is that the Jump track made Van Halen appealing to the goody-two shoes kids in my school who prior to that considered Van Halen a party band for stoners. After Roth left, Hagar joined and 5150 was released, these preppy kids who had looked down on the party crowd were suddenly saying how great the band was and enjoying the shit out of Why Can't This Be Love, Dreams and Love Comes Walking In.

The addition of Hagar made Van Halen safe and acceptable to upper middle class parents.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...
        X