Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roth on rogan 2.28.19

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-07-2021 @ 07:51 PM
    Burlington, Ontario (Canada motherfucker!!)
    Status
    Thanks

I don't understand people trashing Dave. This was one of his most mature and coherent interviews I've ever seen.

The guy is supremely intelligent, which is why I think you dickheads are lost. You just aren't smart enough to follow him.

It makes me laugh when people analyze his life....."he's lonely"....."lost".....etc.

He could be in a coma, and still be smarter than most of you.

Guy gets more pussy in a month than have or ever will have in you entire life

Even the Joe Rogan board comments are overwhelmingly positive. People were blown away by Dave....those who know who he is as well as those who don't.

The guy is a living legend who still climbs in his 60s (including the Himilayas) and can run circles around most of you. Living the life of 50 people who each lived a full life.

I think many of you are just jealous. And you should be.

Now go give your fat ugly wives a kiss.....
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. 2 users say thank you to Baby's On Fire for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (03-15-2019),Terry (03-10-2019)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Baby's On Fire View Post
    I don't understand people trashing Dave. This was one of his most mature and coherent interviews I've ever seen.

The guy is supremely intelligent, which is why I think you dickheads are lost. You just aren't smart enough to follow him.

It makes me laugh when people analyze his life....."he's lonely"....."lost".....etc.

Even the Joe Rogan board comments are overwhelmingly positive. People were blown away by Dave....those who know who he is as well as those who don't.

The guy is a living legend who still climbs in his 60s (including the Himilayas) and can run circles around most of you. Living the life of 50 people who each lived a full life.

Now you go and give Dave's cock a suck and take a whiff of his ass while you're down there: I figure since you uncritically idolize everything else the man does, doubtless you'll find his dick tastes great and his farts smell like roses, too.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    So how do you manage it?
    LOL... keeping it simple. Nothin fancy and bold.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 3,449 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baby's On Fire View Post

I agree with most of your sentiments (for once). But I think Dave's pussy quota is probably in a severe downturn...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    That last charity solo gig he did...yeesh. Honestly, if THAT is representative of Roth's level of ability/quality control these days, I'm not really sure that I'd WANT to see Mike Anthony rejoin the group at this point.

Roth just comes off like he's tweaking out on his meds too much these days. Far more weird than cool, and the hipper he tries to act the more weird it comes across.

Plus, I've always considered Joe Rogan to be more than a bit of a talentless douche, so just the choice of interviewer alone was an inhibitor to me wanting to watch 2 + hours of a Roth interview in 2019.
    Roth's voice is gone. Listen to In a Simple Rhyme on WAC and then listen to a live version from the last VH tour. The latest live version is horrid because Dave is straining like hell to hit what he used to. I can't even listen to or watch it. It's called losing your voice to age and cigarettes. So I guess Van Halen can hire a new singer and just have Dave dance around the stage. Haha! Get some hot female singing and Dave can dance around and feel her up and hump her ass. Get Gary back and Dave can dry hump him on stage. In today's gay friendly society it might sell. The only problem is it might attract too many Sammy Hagar fans to the show or even Sammy himself.
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 03-11-2019 at 03:26 AM.

7. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (03-11-2019)

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:10 PM
    Status
    Thanks

So this is where we're winding up.

9. 2 users say thank you to Jérôme Frenchise for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (03-15-2019),Terry (03-11-2019)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jérôme Frenchise View Post
    So this is where we're winding up.
    I think so. Hey Dave still can dance pretty well and he's in great shape for his age and how he abused himself. Now Sammy and Dave can duke it out and fight over who is king of the queers. Sammy has held that position for a long time but Dave is woking hard to take it from him.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Roth's voice is gone. Listen to In a Simple Rhyme on WAC and then listen to a live version from the last VH tour. The latest live version is horrid because Dave is straining like hell to hit what he used to. I can't even listen to or watch it. It's called losing your voice to age and cigarettes. So I guess Van Halen can hire a new singer and just have Dave dance around the stage. Haha! Get some hot female singing and Dave can dance around and feel her up and hump her ass. Get Gary back and Dave can dry hump him on stage. In today's gay friendly society it might sell. The only problem is it might attract too many Sammy Hagar fans to the show or even Sammy himself.
    I watched three full length shows from different gigs on the 2015 tour via youtube, uploaded from audience members smartphone recordings.

Even taking into account said recordings can obviously never capture what the band/Roth sounds like live in the venue, I listened to Roth's vocals carefully: with each of the shows, he was off-key more often than he was on. Every now and then he'd sing a couple of lines that sounded serviceable to where I could see paying money to hear that live. Then he'd be back to his strained off-key yelping. A shame, because as in 2012 all the Van Halens sounded good. Some good deep cuts on that 2015 tour, too. Drop Dead Legs, Light Up The Sky, Dirty Movies...Van Halens playing them well, Roth struggling to make the lead vocals sound good.

To be sure, Roth is an intelligent guy who - assuming he is heterosexual - has gotten more pussy in a month than I have in a lifetime and has made and spent more money than I ever could have dreamed of. Unfortunately, all of those truths are unable to negate how shitty his vocals sound live these days, nor are his center stage dance moves enough to compensate for how bad his singing has become.

Doesn't give me any particular pleasure in terms of snark that this is where Roth is at vocal-wise: I'd just as soon his singing was passable, because I would have liked to have seen the band in 2015 and going forward (assuming there are more shows to come in the future). As it stands now, if what Roth has been doing in 2012, 2013, 2015 and the one-off 2018 performance is as good as it gets, it's not worth paying to hear.

12. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (03-11-2019)

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-06-2024 @ 06:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Maybe they can pull a KI$$ and use backing vocal tracks..

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Of course , they would have to fuck em up so nobody would catch on..

15. Thanked Fairwrning for this KICKASS post:

Terry (03-11-2019)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairwrning View Post
    Of course , they would have to fuck em up so nobody would catch on..
    So noticeable it was embarrassing...like, they can't even be bothered to try anymore.

I tend to doubt the people attending the shows really give too much of a shit anymore: backing tapes for instruments and vocals re: live performances have become so ubiquitous now across the board/genres...nobody has those Milli Vanilli moments these days, because people sort of expect that performers are miming to whatever degree.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries
    At least he retains his sense of humor. I'll give him credit for that. More than what I can say for the Brothers Assholemazov

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-18-2024 @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I watched three full length shows from different gigs on the 2015 tour via youtube, uploaded from audience members smartphone recordings.

Even taking into account said recordings can obviously never capture what the band/Roth sounds like live in the venue, I listened to Roth's vocals carefully: with each of the shows, he was off-key more often than he was on. Every now and then he'd sing a couple of lines that sounded serviceable to where I could see paying money to hear that live. Then he'd be back to his strained off-key yelping. A shame, because as in 2012 all the Van Halens sounded good. Some good deep cuts on that 2015 tour, too. Drop Dead Legs, Light Up The Sky, Dirty Movies...Van Halens playing them well, Roth struggling to make the lead vocals sound good.

To be sure, Roth is an intelligent guy who - assuming he is heterosexual - has gotten more pussy in a month than I have in a lifetime and has made and spent more money than I ever could have dreamed of. Unfortunately, all of those truths are unable to negate how shitty his vocals sound live these days, nor are his center stage dance moves enough to compensate for how bad his singing has become.

Doesn't give me any particular pleasure in terms of snark that this is where Roth is at vocal-wise: I'd just as soon his singing was passable, because I would have liked to have seen the band in 2015 and going forward (assuming there are more shows to come in the future). As it stands now, if what Roth has been doing in 2012, 2013, 2015 and the one-off 2018 performance is as good as it gets, it's not worth paying to hear.
    If you watch vids from the last show of the 2015 tour (Hollywood Bowl), you can hear Dave really trying to lay off the high register. A lot of songs he sounded like he was almost talking at a low key. I'll Wait, for instance, sounded pretty good.

It seems from that show Dave knows very well the issues with his voice and seems to be trying to do the best he can under the circumstances. He even tried - like tried - his old school scream. Didn't come off that well though.

I doubt he will resort to lip synching trickery like Stanley so he will probably do what he can to keep going.

19. 2 users say thank you to Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (03-12-2019),Terry (03-12-2019)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
    If you watch vids from the last show of the 2015 tour (Hollywood Bowl), you can hear Dave really trying to lay off the high register. A lot of songs he sounded like he was almost talking at a low key. I'll Wait, for instance, sounded pretty good.

It seems from that show Dave knows very well the issues with his voice and seems to be trying to do the best he can under the circumstances. He even tried - like tried - his old school scream. Didn't come off that well though.

I doubt he will resort to lip synching trickery like Stanley so he will probably do what he can to keep going.
    I think there is a reason Dave got into the skin care business. His voice is shot. To be honest I hope he does well with it. There are a ton of people out there with tattoos and it's an interesting niche to focus on. It's also something different. We don't need another celebrity selling us their special line of booze or hot sauce.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    So noticeable it was embarrassing...like, they can't even be bothered to try anymore.

I tend to doubt the people attending the shows really give too much of a shit anymore: backing tapes for instruments and vocals re: live performances have become so ubiquitous now across the board/genres...nobody has those Milli Vanilli moments these days, because people sort of expect that performers are miming to whatever degree.
    Girl you know it's...girl you know it's...girl you know it's... Haha!

22. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (03-12-2019)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Turned the Milli Vanilli sundae into a shit sandwich immediately.

24. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (03-12-2019)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Which, at this point, is all Roth really needs to do live...which is to say, just sing rather than yell. Even if some of it is in lower registers than recorded.

It's not a strategy that would necessarily work well for every single CVH song simply because not every single CVH song lends itself to that kind of lead vocal approach, but the overall effect would be much more listenable than what he has been doing for the last 7 years, which is often needless exertion/oversinging in the form of yelling...often on songs that don't even need to be yelled.

Like, in 2012 when they did Pretty Woman, Roth was yelling his way through the verses: why? That song as CVH recorded it was merely sung, and in a register that is well within Roth's capabilities these days to sing. So why yell his way through it off-key? Or DTNA.

Save the yelling for the songs that actually need it, and just sing.

26. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (03-13-2019)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Turned the Milli Vanilli sundae into a shit sandwich immediately.
    It WAS lovely that incident had the effect of immediately cratering their career. Then we later find out that not only were they lip synching live, but that a good chunk of the vocals on the records - including the lead vocals - were sung by ghost session singers.

So they weren't even lip synching something they had even originally sang in some cases depending on the tracks they were miming along to live.

Goddamned spandex bicycle short-wearing, dreadlocked pop phonies.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Which, at this point, is all Roth really needs to do live...which is to say, just sing rather than yell. Even if some of it is in lower registers than recorded.

It's not a strategy that would necessarily work well for every single CVH song simply because not every single CVH song lends itself to that kind of lead vocal approach, but the overall effect would be much more listenable than what he has been doing for the last 7 years, which is often needless exertion/oversinging in the form of yelling...often on songs that don't even need to be yelled.

Like, in 2012 when they did Pretty Woman, Roth was yelling his way through the verses: why? That song as CVH recorded it was merely sung, and in a register that is well within Roth's capabilities these days to sing. So why yell his way through it off-key? Or DTNA.

There's not that many CVH song that originally had screamin vocals to begin with...

I've done live sound engineering for many years and I've had to remind singers far too many times... Let that big sound system do it's job. Just relax, breathe and sing like the audience is sitting 6 feet in front of you in your living room.

29. 2 users say thank you to ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (03-13-2019),Terry (03-13-2019)

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-18-2024 @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I agree.

I think the problem is that Dave sometimes thinks he can belt out some of the tunes like he could back in the day. Just by memory - like muscle memory. But the problem is that when he tries that - it comes out in that very high register and then he resorts to yelling to compensate. I don't think hes doing that intentionally is what I'm saying.

He just has to approach the songs differently now and be aware that he cant sing like he used to. Keep it at the low register - like what he did at the 2015 Hollywood Bowl show and he should be fine.

31. Thanked Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

Terry (05-22-2019)

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Im reminded of this...

33. Thanked Fairwrning for this KICKASS post:

Kristy (03-17-2019)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    There's not that many CVH song that originally had screamin vocals to begin with...

I've done live sound engineering for many years and I've had to remind singers far too many times... Let that big sound system do it's job. Just relax, breathe and sing like the audience is sitting 6 feet in front of you in your living room.
    [Roth's] trying to hard...needlessly trying too hard, and I'd say maybe the overexertion he's undertaking would be commendable or worthwhile if it were reflected in the vocals, but it has the opposite effect.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I agree.

I think the problem is that Dave sometimes thinks he can belt out some of the tunes like he could back in the day. Just by memory - like muscle memory. But the problem is that when he tries that - it comes out in that very high register and then he resorts to yelling to compensate. I don't think hes doing that intentionally is what I'm saying.

He just has to approach the songs differently now and be aware that he cant sing like he used to. Keep it at the low register - like what he did at the 2015 Hollywood Bowl show and he should be fine.
    Does nobody tell him how bad this strategy is in terms of the results? This has been going on for two full tours now.

I mean, again, going back to my Pretty Woman example, Roth HAS to be yelling through the verses intentionally unless he hasn't listened to the original recording for so long that he has forgotten how he sang it on Diver Down.

I mean, I'll certainly agree that Roth is making an effort in terms of exertion. However, he's busting his lungs the wrong way around for a shitty result, so all that effort is just misplaced.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Ha! Yeah. With 50,000 watts you don't exactly have to yell.

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:10 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I'm curious about what exactly Dave hears on stage.

38. Thanked Jérôme Frenchise for this KICKASS post:

Terry (03-14-2019)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I'd be more curious as to if anybody - either his personal assistants/management or the Van Halens - has had the tenacity to tell Roth this.

Or is it that Roth's assistants just say "yeah, sounds great, Dave!" and collect their checks while the Van Halens just shrug their shoulders and figure Dave's gonna do what Dave's gonna do: long as people keep paying to see the band, why take a chance on rocking the boat?

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think he's oblivious..he picked Tokyo as the live release...I honestly think HE thinks he sounds good.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-21-2021 @ 06:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I find it interesting that no one got the little hint Dave dropped about his relationship with Ed when they talked about Cheech&Chong. Something like "Do they really get along or are they in the Dave and Edward Mode".

To me that translates into "we don't interact on any personal level and do our fucking business ".

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

Charcoal Mellowed
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Does nobody tell him how bad this strategy is in terms of the results?
    I'd be more curious as to if anybody - either his personal assistants/management or the Van Halens - has had the tenacity to tell Roth this.
    You don't have to look any further than the current occupant of the White House to
    see that there are some jobs when NO ONE will tell you "Uh, maybe dial it back a
    notch." Or if they do, you just don't listen.

DLR probably falls into that category. There is no one to set him straight. Could be
    (like Drumph) he doesn't want any input or simply isn't open to advice/opinions:
    "I been doing it this way all these years - you ain't telling me how to effing sing."

And, really - who'd be the one to say it to him? Certainly no one who gets a paycheck
    from him. Los Bros probably couldn't care less - let him sing how he wants long as the
    $$ keeps rolling in. Maybe Wolfgang tries to play diplomat and offers "Hey Dave, why
    not try singing it like..." but who knows how that'd go over.

Better to face facts that we've heard the best there is from Dave (vocal-wise) and anything
    going forward is going to disappoint, especially if you're using pre-1984 as a benchmark.
    He's just not gonna change his style, even if it means it'll sound "sub-par". At this point VH
    isn't gonna swing over any new fans. And if Dave continues to try'n sing the way he used to,
    he's gonna eventually drive away the old-timers as well.
    Last edited by silverfish; 03-15-2019 at 01:50 PM.

43. Thanked silverfish for this KICKASS post:

Terry (03-15-2019)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidLeeNatra View Post
    I find it interesting that no one got the little hint Dave dropped about his relationship with Ed when they talked about Cheech&Chong. Something like "Do they really get along or are they in the Dave and Edward Mode".

To me that translates into "we don't interact on any personal level and do our fucking business ".

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk
    I seem to recall Eddie in 2015 saying something along the lines of Dave not wanting to be his friend. Even back in the 1980s, Dave would remark that while he was a song and dance man entertainer, Eddie based his life around music.

They're just different people, I think. Both of them have indicated they don't have much in common with each other on a personal level outside of the music they made together. Not a big shock. I've worked with plenty of people over the years that I had little to nothing in common with outside of the professional setting.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
    You don't have to look any further than the current occupant of the White House to
    see that there are some jobs when NO ONE will tell you "Uh, maybe dial it back a
    notch." Or if they do, you just don't listen.

DLR probably falls into that category. There is no one to set him straight. Could be
    (like Drumph) he doesn't want any input or simply isn't open to advice/opinions:
    "I been doing it this way all these years - you ain't telling me how to effing sing."

And, really - who'd be the one to say it to him? Certainly no one who gets a paycheck
    from him. Los Bros probably couldn't care less - let him sing how he wants long as the
    $$ keeps rolling in. Maybe Wolfgang tries to play diplomat and offers "Hey Dave, why
    not try singing it like..." but who knows how that'd go over.

Better to face facts that we've heard the best there is from Dave (vocal-wise) and anything
    going forward is going to disappoint, especially if you're using pre-1984 as a benchmark.
    He's just not gonna change his style, even if it means it'll sound "sub-par". At this point VH
    isn't gonna swing over any new fans. And if Dave continues to try'n sing the way he used to,
    he's gonna eventually drive away the old-timers as well.
    I think all of that sounds 100% spot-on, right down to possibly Wolfgang offering advice in a diplomatic way, fully knowing that Dave's gonna do whatever Dave's gonna do in the end.

I suppose ultimately it doesn't particularly matter anymore. Even if this arrangement continues to occasionally tour for the next decade or beyond, Van Halen is over. What is there now is as good as it's gonna get, and honestly Mike Anthony rejoining now isn't gonna make much of any difference in terms of output.

Shit, Mike's had less pull/cache with the Van Halens AND Roth than Wolfie has for well over a decade: doubtless, Roth and the Van Halens think they'd be doing Anthony the favor by asking him to rejoin for a tour now. Would probably offer him peanuts/less than what Wolfie makes for said hypothetical tour, too.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    [Roth's] trying to hard...needlessly trying too hard, and I'd say maybe the overexertion he's undertaking would be commendable or worthwhile if it were reflected in the vocals, but it has the opposite effect.
    That's it. He hits the adrenaline rush of performing and audience interaction which jacks him up... also stimulates his ADHD which overrides all impulse control and he becomes a loose cannon vocally.

Add to that... his age... despite being in good shape, his muscle flexibility is diminished naturally in his diaphragm and vocal chords. Combine that with reduced lung capacity from both decades of smoking and age... the result is the strained, yelping bullshit with a total loss of throttle control mentally when performing.

As far as anyone working for him or close enough to provide constructive criticism... I don't believe even if the honest truth was presented to Dave in the most considerate manner, he'd allow the door to open in his mind to give him cause to adjust what he does when he steps on stage. Just look at the long trail of amazing people who had the wild experience of working with or for Dave... few stay on-board for any length of time. I'd suspect there's a measurable percentage who departed company involuntarily after giving the Rock Star™ a bit of friendly and deserved advice...

47. 3 users say thank you to ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (03-16-2019),Nitro Express (03-16-2019),Terry (03-16-2019)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    That's it. He hits the adrenaline rush of performing and audience interaction which jacks him up... also stimulates his ADHD which overrides all impulse control and he becomes a loose cannon vocally.

Add to that... his age... despite being in good shape, his muscle flexibility is diminished naturally in his diaphragm and vocal chords. Combine that with reduced lung capacity from both decades of smoking and age... the result is the strained, yelping bullshit with a total loss of throttle control mentally when performing.

As far as anyone working for him or close enough to provide constructive criticism... I don't believe even if the honest truth was presented to Dave in the most considerate manner, he'd allow the door to open in his mind to give him cause to adjust what he does when he steps on stage. Just look at the long trail of amazing people who had the wild experience of working with or for Dave... few stay on-board for any length of time. I'd suspect there's a measurable percentage who departed company involuntarily after giving the Rock Star™ a bit of friendly and deserved advice...
    I've wondered if the yelping is just an overcompensation for the things he can't do anymore, in terms of the karate kicks and leaps - along with the screaming - so he's trying to make it up by yelling.

Or, as silverfish says, maybe he just figures he knows what he's doing and it must still be working because he is still playing to 10k + venues. To be sure, plenty of critics back in the day said Roth couldn't sing worth a damn.

Maybe it's just ego bumping up against his advancing age, or he is too proud to either solicit or follow advice.

I mean, it's a shame, because while his voice is never going to be what it once was I do think changing his approach would certainly make him much more listenable than he has been. But, whatever. Dave does what he wants to do. For me, even the lean years of 1999-2006...Dave was always entertaining. Even as the physical aspects of his stage act had to be curtailed due to age, he never failed to entertain. Mostly because he managed to stay in-key more often than not and he was good for a few laughs with his inbetween song raps. These days, his onstage ad-libs and tall tales come across more weird than funny, and his vocal approach is producing a terrible result. I suppose I should enjoy the memories of the decades of pleasure his output gave me rather than lament what he has become.

49. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (03-16-2019)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Good analysis there ZahZoo. Dave just got old. End of story.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

The only people I heard bash Dave were the Van Halen brothers. Michael Anthony just said he didn't like working or being around Dave. Didn't really bash him. Sammy has taken his jabs at Dave. As far as others who worked for him and later parted company and no longer need Dave for a paycheck they all have told their stories but never bashed Dave. I think it's like being in a frat house in college. It's fun for a semester or two but it starts to get tiring and you feel the need to grow up. You still have the stories of drinking a beer bong of beer out of a girl's gooch and slithering on a bare waterbed mattress covered in Hawaiian Tropic tanning oil naked with members of the girls volleyball team.

Last edited by Nitro Express; 03-16-2019 at 07:21 PM.

52. 2 users say thank you to Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (03-16-2019),Terry (03-17-2019)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Good analysis there ZahZoo. Dave just got old. End of story.
    That fact can't be denied...

But it doesn't mean he can't perform and do so well. Dave still has a remarkable singing voice when he stays in his natural register, relaxed and doesn't go into overdrive. He should play to his strengths, which could still cover a wide range of Van Halen and his solo work live.

Knowing how Dave likes to go on adventures and study cultures... he should really take a summer. Start in Memphis and immerse himself in the local blues and rock roots of that area. Then head south into the Mississippi delta... the old Juke Joints and colorful venues in tiny little delta towns. Cap that off with a trek northward to Chicago and dive into it's storied blues and R&B history... Then immediately head home, hit the studio and crank out an album from all he's learned and marinated himself in... I personally think it could produce some amazing music and story telling...

54. 2 users say thank you to ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (03-17-2019),Terry (03-17-2019)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

But it doesn't mean he can't perform and do so well. Dave still has a remarkable singing voice when he stays in his natural register, relaxed and doesn't go into overdrive. He should play to his strengths, which could still cover a wide range of Van Halen and his solo work live.

Knowing how Dave likes to go on adventures and study cultures... he should really take a summer. Start in Memphis and immerse himself in the local blues and rock roots of that area. Then head south into the Mississippi delta... the old Juke Joints and colorful venues in tiny little delta towns. Cap that off with a trek northward to Chicago and dive into it's storied blues and R&B history... Then immediately head home, hit the studio and crank out an album from all he's learned and marinated himself in... I personally think it could produce some amazing music and story telling...
    Honestly, I'd be far, far more interested in a solo release along those lines from Dave - or even a new album from Ed, Alex and Dave (I really don't give a shit who plays bass for VH at this point) - than a(nother) VH tour.

Clearly, Roth probably won't go to any great lengths in terms of effort now re: putting out a new solo release, because the reality is that Roth's last two full length solo releases didn't sell much.

But I wouldn't mind something new at this point. Even if the result isn't something I end up caring for.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries

Do you tell stories like this to your children for the time when you had to put down the family dog?

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Do you tell stories like this to your children for the time when you had to put down the family dog?
    I'm sure people will smear Dave's skin care products all over their bodies and praise God that there was a David Lee Roth to produce a line of products that keep the tats looking sharp and the sunscreen keeps you from getting burned and does not kill the coral reefs.

How did I get here?
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2022 @ 10:16 AM
    Status
    Thanks

hERe wE gO aGAiN

iS Tit mmME, oR DoEs dAvE tALk LiKE hE's LiStEniNG t2O hiMsELF BeeING eNTeRTAinING/?/? aND hE's RuNniNG ouT aFF tiME!/! cLiMBiNG oUT aFF 3rd FLoOR hoTeL winDOWs t2o rrOCK cLiMB dOESN'T SOUunD sANE!/!/

Thread Information