Roth on rogan 2.28.19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fairwrning View Post
    Of course , they would have to fuck em up so nobody would catch on..
    So noticeable it was embarrassing...like, they can't even be bothered to try anymore.

I tend to doubt the people attending the shows really give too much of a shit anymore: backing tapes for instruments and vocals re: live performances have become so ubiquitous now across the board/genres...nobody has those Milli Vanilli moments these days, because people sort of expect that performers are miming to whatever degree.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

At least he retains his sense of humor. I'll give him credit for that. More than what I can say for the Brothers Assholemazov

Comment

Originally posted by Terry View Post
        I watched three full length shows from different gigs on the 2015 tour via youtube, uploaded from audience members smartphone recordings.

Even taking into account said recordings can obviously never capture what the band/Roth sounds like live in the venue, I listened to Roth's vocals carefully: with each of the shows, he was off-key more often than he was on. Every now and then he'd sing a couple of lines that sounded serviceable to where I could see paying money to hear that live. Then he'd be back to his strained off-key yelping. A shame, because as in 2012 all the Van Halens sounded good. Some good deep cuts on that 2015 tour, too. Drop Dead Legs, Light Up The Sky, Dirty Movies...Van Halens playing them well, Roth struggling to make the lead vocals sound good.

To be sure, Roth is an intelligent guy who - assuming he is heterosexual - has gotten more pussy in a month than I have in a lifetime and has made and spent more money than I ever could have dreamed of. Unfortunately, all of those truths are unable to negate how shitty his vocals sound live these days, nor are his center stage dance moves enough to compensate for how bad his singing has become.

Doesn't give me any particular pleasure in terms of snark that this is where Roth is at vocal-wise: I'd just as soon his singing was passable, because I would have liked to have seen the band in 2015 and going forward (assuming there are more shows to come in the future). As it stands now, if what Roth has been doing in 2012, 2013, 2015 and the one-off 2018 performance is as good as it gets, it's not worth paying to hear.
        If you watch vids from the last show of the 2015 tour (Hollywood Bowl), you can hear Dave really trying to lay off the high register. A lot of songs he sounded like he was almost talking at a low key. I'll Wait, for instance, sounded pretty good.

It seems from that show Dave knows very well the issues with his voice and seems to be trying to do the best he can under the circumstances. He even tried - like tried - his old school scream. Didn't come off that well though.

I doubt he will resort to lip synching trickery like Stanley so he will probably do what he can to keep going.
        =V V=
        ole No.1 The finest
        EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
          If you watch vids from the last show of the 2015 tour (Hollywood Bowl), you can hear Dave really trying to lay off the high register. A lot of songs he sounded like he was almost talking at a low key. I'll Wait, for instance, sounded pretty good.

It seems from that show Dave knows very well the issues with his voice and seems to be trying to do the best he can under the circumstances. He even tried - like tried - his old school scream. Didn't come off that well though.

I doubt he will resort to lip synching trickery like Stanley so he will probably do what he can to keep going.
          I think there is a reason Dave got into the skin care business. His voice is shot. To be honest I hope he does well with it. There are a ton of people out there with tattoos and it's an interesting niche to focus on. It's also something different. We don't need another celebrity selling us their special line of booze or hot sauce.
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

So noticeable it was embarrassing...like, they can't even be bothered to try anymore.

I tend to doubt the people attending the shows really give too much of a shit anymore: backing tapes for instruments and vocals re: live performances have become so ubiquitous now across the board/genres...nobody has those Milli Vanilli moments these days, because people sort of expect that performers are miming to whatever degree.
            Girl you know it's...girl you know it's...girl you know it's... Haha!

Comment

Turned the Milli Vanilli sundae into a shit sandwich immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post

Which, at this point, is all Roth really needs to do live...which is to say, just sing rather than yell. Even if some of it is in lower registers than recorded.

It's not a strategy that would necessarily work well for every single CVH song simply because not every single CVH song lends itself to that kind of lead vocal approach, but the overall effect would be much more listenable than what he has been doing for the last 7 years, which is often needless exertion/oversinging in the form of yelling...often on songs that don't even need to be yelled.

Like, in 2012 when they did Pretty Woman, Roth was yelling his way through the verses: why? That song as CVH recorded it was merely sung, and in a register that is well within Roth's capabilities these days to sing. So why yell his way through it off-key? Or DTNA.

Save the yelling for the songs that actually need it, and just sing.
                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Originally posted by Nitro Express View Post
                  Turned the Milli Vanilli sundae into a shit sandwich immediately.
                  It WAS lovely that incident had the effect of immediately cratering their career. Then we later find out that not only were they lip synching live, but that a good chunk of the vocals on the records - including the lead vocals - were sung by ghost session singers.

So they weren't even lip synching something they had even originally sang in some cases depending on the tracks they were miming along to live.

Goddamned spandex bicycle short-wearing, dreadlocked pop phonies.
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Which, at this point, is all Roth really needs to do live...which is to say, just sing rather than yell. Even if some of it is in lower registers than recorded.

It's not a strategy that would necessarily work well for every single CVH song simply because not every single CVH song lends itself to that kind of lead vocal approach, but the overall effect would be much more listenable than what he has been doing for the last 7 years, which is often needless exertion/oversinging in the form of yelling...often on songs that don't even need to be yelled.

Like, in 2012 when they did Pretty Woman, Roth was yelling his way through the verses: why? That song as CVH recorded it was merely sung, and in a register that is well within Roth's capabilities these days to sing. So why yell his way through it off-key? Or DTNA.

There's not that many CVH song that originally had screamin vocals to begin with...

I've done live sound engineering for many years and I've had to remind singers far too many times... Let that big sound system do it's job. Just relax, breathe and sing like the audience is sitting 6 feet in front of you in your living room.
                    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Originally posted by Terry View Post

I agree.

I think the problem is that Dave sometimes thinks he can belt out some of the tunes like he could back in the day. Just by memory - like muscle memory. But the problem is that when he tries that - it comes out in that very high register and then he resorts to yelling to compensate. I don't think hes doing that intentionally is what I'm saying.

He just has to approach the songs differently now and be aware that he cant sing like he used to. Keep it at the low register - like what he did at the 2015 Hollywood Bowl show and he should be fine.
                      =V V=
                      ole No.1 The finest
                      EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Im reminded of this...

Comment

• Originally posted by ZahZoo View Post
                          There's not that many CVH song that originally had screamin vocals to begin with...

I've done live sound engineering for many years and I've had to remind singers far too many times... Let that big sound system do it's job. Just relax, breathe and sing like the audience is sitting 6 feet in front of you in your living room.
                          [Roth's] trying to hard...needlessly trying too hard, and I'd say maybe the overexertion he's undertaking would be commendable or worthwhile if it were reflected in the vocals, but it has the opposite effect.
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
                            I agree.

I think the problem is that Dave sometimes thinks he can belt out some of the tunes like he could back in the day. Just by memory - like muscle memory. But the problem is that when he tries that - it comes out in that very high register and then he resorts to yelling to compensate. I don't think hes doing that intentionally is what I'm saying.

He just has to approach the songs differently now and be aware that he cant sing like he used to. Keep it at the low register - like what he did at the 2015 Hollywood Bowl show and he should be fine.
                            Does nobody tell him how bad this strategy is in terms of the results? This has been going on for two full tours now.

I mean, again, going back to my Pretty Woman example, Roth HAS to be yelling through the verses intentionally unless he hasn't listened to the original recording for so long that he has forgotten how he sang it on Diver Down.

I mean, I'll certainly agree that Roth is making an effort in terms of exertion. However, he's busting his lungs the wrong way around for a shitty result, so all that effort is just misplaced.
                            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZahZoo View Post

Ha! Yeah. With 50,000 watts you don't exactly have to yell.

Comment

• I'm curious about what exactly Dave hears on stage.
                                posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                                posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

Working...
                                X