X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
    I'm curious about what exactly Dave hears on stage.
    I'd be more curious as to if anybody - either his personal assistants/management or the Van Halens - has had the tenacity to tell Roth this.

Or is it that Roth's assistants just say "yeah, sounds great, Dave!" and collect their checks while the Van Halens just shrug their shoulders and figure Dave's gonna do what Dave's gonna do: long as people keep paying to see the band, why take a chance on rocking the boat?
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Fairwrning
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
      I'm curious about what exactly Dave hears on stage.
      I think he's oblivious..he picked Tokyo as the live release...I honestly think HE thinks he sounds good.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

I find it interesting that no one got the little hint Dave dropped about his relationship with Ed when they talked about Cheech&Chong. Something like "Do they really get along or are they in the Dave and Edward Mode".

To me that translates into "we don't interact on any personal level and do our fucking business ".

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk
        Roth Army Icon
        First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• silverfish
          Foot Soldier
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Terry
          Does nobody tell him how bad this strategy is in terms of the results?
          I'd be more curious as to if anybody - either his personal assistants/management or the Van Halens - has had the tenacity to tell Roth this.
          You don't have to look any further than the current occupant of the White House to
          see that there are some jobs when NO ONE will tell you "Uh, maybe dial it back a
          notch." Or if they do, you just don't listen.

DLR probably falls into that category. There is no one to set him straight. Could be
          (like Drumph) he doesn't want any input or simply isn't open to advice/opinions:
          "I been doing it this way all these years - you ain't telling me how to effing sing."

And, really - who'd be the one to say it to him? Certainly no one who gets a paycheck
          from him. Los Bros probably couldn't care less - let him sing how he wants long as the
          $$ keeps rolling in. Maybe Wolfgang tries to play diplomat and offers "Hey Dave, why
          not try singing it like..." but who knows how that'd go over.

Better to face facts that we've heard the best there is from Dave (vocal-wise) and anything
          going forward is going to disappoint, especially if you're using pre-1984 as a benchmark.
          He's just not gonna change his style, even if it means it'll sound "sub-par". At this point VH
          isn't gonna swing over any new fans. And if Dave continues to try'n sing the way he used to,
          he's gonna eventually drive away the old-timers as well.
          Last edited by silverfish; 03-15-2019, 01:50 PM.
          Originally posted by sadaist
          I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
            I find it interesting that no one got the little hint Dave dropped about his relationship with Ed when they talked about Cheech&Chong. Something like "Do they really get along or are they in the Dave and Edward Mode".

To me that translates into "we don't interact on any personal level and do our fucking business ".

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk
            I seem to recall Eddie in 2015 saying something along the lines of Dave not wanting to be his friend. Even back in the 1980s, Dave would remark that while he was a song and dance man entertainer, Eddie based his life around music.

They're just different people, I think. Both of them have indicated they don't have much in common with each other on a personal level outside of the music they made together. Not a big shock. I've worked with plenty of people over the years that I had little to nothing in common with outside of the professional setting.
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by silverfish
              You don't have to look any further than the current occupant of the White House to
              see that there are some jobs when NO ONE will tell you "Uh, maybe dial it back a
              notch." Or if they do, you just don't listen.

DLR probably falls into that category. There is no one to set him straight. Could be
              (like Drumph) he doesn't want any input or simply isn't open to advice/opinions:
              "I been doing it this way all these years - you ain't telling me how to effing sing."

And, really - who'd be the one to say it to him? Certainly no one who gets a paycheck
              from him. Los Bros probably couldn't care less - let him sing how he wants long as the
              $$ keeps rolling in. Maybe Wolfgang tries to play diplomat and offers "Hey Dave, why
              not try singing it like..." but who knows how that'd go over.

Better to face facts that we've heard the best there is from Dave (vocal-wise) and anything
              going forward is going to disappoint, especially if you're using pre-1984 as a benchmark.
              He's just not gonna change his style, even if it means it'll sound "sub-par". At this point VH
              isn't gonna swing over any new fans. And if Dave continues to try'n sing the way he used to,
              he's gonna eventually drive away the old-timers as well.
              I think all of that sounds 100% spot-on, right down to possibly Wolfgang offering advice in a diplomatic way, fully knowing that Dave's gonna do whatever Dave's gonna do in the end.

I suppose ultimately it doesn't particularly matter anymore. Even if this arrangement continues to occasionally tour for the next decade or beyond, Van Halen is over. What is there now is as good as it's gonna get, and honestly Mike Anthony rejoining now isn't gonna make much of any difference in terms of output.

Shit, Mike's had less pull/cache with the Van Halens AND Roth than Wolfie has for well over a decade: doubtless, Roth and the Van Halens think they'd be doing Anthony the favor by asking him to rejoin for a tour now. Would probably offer him peanuts/less than what Wolfie makes for said hypothetical tour, too.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

[Roth's] trying to hard...needlessly trying too hard, and I'd say maybe the overexertion he's undertaking would be commendable or worthwhile if it were reflected in the vocals, but it has the opposite effect.
                That's it. He hits the adrenaline rush of performing and audience interaction which jacks him up... also stimulates his ADHD which overrides all impulse control and he becomes a loose cannon vocally.

Add to that... his age... despite being in good shape, his muscle flexibility is diminished naturally in his diaphragm and vocal chords. Combine that with reduced lung capacity from both decades of smoking and age... the result is the strained, yelping bullshit with a total loss of throttle control mentally when performing.

As far as anyone working for him or close enough to provide constructive criticism... I don't believe even if the honest truth was presented to Dave in the most considerate manner, he'd allow the door to open in his mind to give him cause to adjust what he does when he steps on stage. Just look at the long trail of amazing people who had the wild experience of working with or for Dave... few stay on-board for any length of time. I'd suspect there's a measurable percentage who departed company involuntarily after giving the Rock Star™ a bit of friendly and deserved advice...
                "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Terry
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                  That's it. He hits the adrenaline rush of performing and audience interaction which jacks him up... also stimulates his ADHD which overrides all impulse control and he becomes a loose cannon vocally.

Add to that... his age... despite being in good shape, his muscle flexibility is diminished naturally in his diaphragm and vocal chords. Combine that with reduced lung capacity from both decades of smoking and age... the result is the strained, yelping bullshit with a total loss of throttle control mentally when performing.

As far as anyone working for him or close enough to provide constructive criticism... I don't believe even if the honest truth was presented to Dave in the most considerate manner, he'd allow the door to open in his mind to give him cause to adjust what he does when he steps on stage. Just look at the long trail of amazing people who had the wild experience of working with or for Dave... few stay on-board for any length of time. I'd suspect there's a measurable percentage who departed company involuntarily after giving the Rock Star™ a bit of friendly and deserved advice...
                  I've wondered if the yelping is just an overcompensation for the things he can't do anymore, in terms of the karate kicks and leaps - along with the screaming - so he's trying to make it up by yelling.

Or, as silverfish says, maybe he just figures he knows what he's doing and it must still be working because he is still playing to 10k + venues. To be sure, plenty of critics back in the day said Roth couldn't sing worth a damn.

Maybe it's just ego bumping up against his advancing age, or he is too proud to either solicit or follow advice.

I mean, it's a shame, because while his voice is never going to be what it once was I do think changing his approach would certainly make him much more listenable than he has been. But, whatever. Dave does what he wants to do. For me, even the lean years of 1999-2006...Dave was always entertaining. Even as the physical aspects of his stage act had to be curtailed due to age, he never failed to entertain. Mostly because he managed to stay in-key more often than not and he was good for a few laughs with his inbetween song raps. These days, his onstage ad-libs and tall tales come across more weird than funny, and his vocal approach is producing a terrible result. I suppose I should enjoy the memories of the decades of pleasure his output gave me rather than lament what he has become.
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Good analysis there ZahZoo. Dave just got old. End of story.
                    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

The only people I heard bash Dave were the Van Halen brothers. Michael Anthony just said he didn't like working or being around Dave. Didn't really bash him. Sammy has taken his jabs at Dave. As far as others who worked for him and later parted company and no longer need Dave for a paycheck they all have told their stories but never bashed Dave. I think it's like being in a frat house in college. It's fun for a semester or two but it starts to get tiring and you feel the need to grow up. You still have the stories of drinking a beer bong of beer out of a girl's gooch and slithering on a bare waterbed mattress covered in Hawaiian Tropic tanning oil naked with members of the girls volleyball team.

Last edited by Nitro Express; 03-16-2019, 07:21 PM.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                        Good analysis there ZahZoo. Dave just got old. End of story.
                        That fact can't be denied...

But it doesn't mean he can't perform and do so well. Dave still has a remarkable singing voice when he stays in his natural register, relaxed and doesn't go into overdrive. He should play to his strengths, which could still cover a wide range of Van Halen and his solo work live.

Knowing how Dave likes to go on adventures and study cultures... he should really take a summer. Start in Memphis and immerse himself in the local blues and rock roots of that area. Then head south into the Mississippi delta... the old Juke Joints and colorful venues in tiny little delta towns. Cap that off with a trek northward to Chicago and dive into it's storied blues and R&B history... Then immediately head home, hit the studio and crank out an album from all he's learned and marinated himself in... I personally think it could produce some amazing music and story telling...
                        "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Terry
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

But it doesn't mean he can't perform and do so well. Dave still has a remarkable singing voice when he stays in his natural register, relaxed and doesn't go into overdrive. He should play to his strengths, which could still cover a wide range of Van Halen and his solo work live.

Knowing how Dave likes to go on adventures and study cultures... he should really take a summer. Start in Memphis and immerse himself in the local blues and rock roots of that area. Then head south into the Mississippi delta... the old Juke Joints and colorful venues in tiny little delta towns. Cap that off with a trek northward to Chicago and dive into it's storied blues and R&B history... Then immediately head home, hit the studio and crank out an album from all he's learned and marinated himself in... I personally think it could produce some amazing music and story telling...
                          Honestly, I'd be far, far more interested in a solo release along those lines from Dave - or even a new album from Ed, Alex and Dave (I really don't give a shit who plays bass for VH at this point) - than a(nother) VH tour.

Clearly, Roth probably won't go to any great lengths in terms of effort now re: putting out a new solo release, because the reality is that Roth's last two full length solo releases didn't sell much.

But I wouldn't mind something new at this point. Even if the result isn't something I end up caring for.
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Kristy
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Do you tell stories like this to your children for the time when you had to put down the family dog?

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
                              Do you tell stories like this to your children for the time when you had to put down the family dog?
                              I'm sure people will smear Dave's skin care products all over their bodies and praise God that there was a David Lee Roth to produce a line of products that keep the tats looking sharp and the sunscreen keeps you from getting burned and does not kill the coral reefs.

Comment

• Phil theStalker
                                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

hERe wE gO aGAiN

iS Tit mmME, oR DoEs dAvE tALk LiKE hE's LiStEniNG t2O hiMsELF BeeING eNTeRTAinING/?/? aND hE's RuNniNG ouT aFF tiME!/! cLiMBiNG oUT aFF 3rd FLoOR hoTeL winDOWs t2o rrOCK cLiMB dOESN'T SOUunD sANE!/!/
                                Add to Ignore list

Comment

Working...