No announcement yet.

Roth on rogan 2.28.19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not a regular listener to Rogan's podcast, but after 4 hours of Alex Jones & 3 hours of DLR, I think Joe must have a strange gift for keeping people talking endlessly... even when the conversation veers off into some really weird shit (as it did in both of these cases).

His format would never work in conventional talk radio, because you couldn't do this shit in 10 minute segments (with a bunch of commercials in between)
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

Originally posted by FORD View Post
      I'm not a regular listener to Rogan's podcast, but after 4 hours of Alex Jones & 3 hours of DLR, I think Joe must have a strange gift for keeping people talking endlessly... even when the conversation veers off into some really weird shit (as it did in both of these cases).

His format would never work in conventional talk radio, because you couldn't do this shit in 10 minute segments (with a bunch of commercials in between)
      Alex Jones and David Lee Roth are both masters of bullshit. Both make people laugh when they hit that magical moment of brilliant crazy and like mining you have to dig through the rough to get to the gems. What Alex and Dave have in common is they both read a lot. There is a lot of data to base stories and bullshit on. Alex is the paranoid conspiracy weirdo which people seem to have to listen to for whatever reason and Dave is like your crazy uncle who is in his 60's and still thinks he's a teenager going on panty raids.
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

Originally posted by Fairwrning View Post
        I call bullshit..you may have let it play,but you didnt listen to it all..
        It was the perfect background noise for combining 73 spreadsheets of data and creating pivot tables to perform some boring as hell data analysis...That crap is mind numbing but Dave's story telling kept me sharp and entertained!
        "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

My favorite part of the interview? Rogan: "David Lee Roth, you are a bad motherfucker"
          sigpic" You ever notice when I scream I sound like Mr. Bill on acid" DLR

Comment

Originally posted by ZahZoo View Post
            It was the perfect background noise for combining 73 spreadsheets of data and creating pivot tables to perform some boring as hell data analysis...That crap is mind numbing but Dave's story telling kept me sharp and entertained!
            Oh shit. Sounds like an internship I did. I didn’t make coffee. They made me do all the data collection grunt work everyone hated to do.

Comment

This interview is basically like every Dave interview- generally long-winded and overstuffed with zen/philosophical/existential musings. And I say this as someone who likes Dave. I can only take so much before my eyes start to glaze over.

Comment

Originally posted by Nitro Express View Post
                Oh shit. Sounds like an internship I did. I didn’t make coffee. They made me do all the data collection grunt work everyone hated to do.
                Thankfully I didn't have to perform the weeks of data gathering... just a few hours of turd polishing to tell a story that we already knew the ending. Now that it's done, I hand it off to the poor soul who's job it will become. Thankful I had Dave's babbling in the background to fill the void.

Comment

Gotta say, I never imagined DLR being as he is today.I always thought he was the driving force behind the baddest band on the planet and once the solo career died he would disappear and rarely be seen ( which is basically true ). That Vegas shit he did really turned him into one strange mother fucker to this day. And yes, I think the dude swings both ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Fairwrning View Post
                    Gotta say, I never imagined DLR being as he is today.I always thought he was the driving force behind the baddest band on the planet and once the solo career died he would disappear and rarely be seen ( which is basically true ). That Vegas shit he did really turned him into one strange mother fucker to this day. And yes, I think the dude swings both ways.
                    Yeah, from 1995 Vegas onward, he got gradually more and more strange...to where he's at today, which appears downright bizarre.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least to find out he is either bi or completely gay...and perhaps always was totally gay and the macho hetero stud image was just a ruse. It wouldn't change my enjoyment level of what he did one iota should that prove to have been the case.

Honestly? He comes across as a strange dude who enjoys his own company beyond anybody else's. At least he isn't trying to grow old gracefully. It wouldn't suit him anyway.
                    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Good perspective... https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffabe...ths-second-act

Comment

Originally posted by Terry View Post
                        At least he isn't trying to grow old gracefully. It wouldn't suit him anyway.
                        Sounds like what Pete Townshend said to the Stones at their induction to the Rock 'n'arriverai Roll Hall of Fame in 1989, "Don't try to grow old gracefully, it wouldn't suit you".

Growing old, Dave seems to try hard to speak out with art, but then he always has.

He's got his feet right into "I, me, me, mine", but always so entertaining. Too much in a way, as even we old fans can get tired of it. A lil still ain't enough for Uncle Dave, and it never will.
                        posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                        posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise View Post
                          Sounds like what Pete Townshend said to the Stones at their induction to the Rock 'n'arriverai Roll Hall of Fame in 1989, "Don't try to grow old gracefully, it wouldn't suit you".

Growing old, Dave seems to try hard to speak out with art, but then he always has.

He's got his feet right into "I, me, me, mine", but always so entertaining. Too much in a way, as even we old fans can get tired of it. A lil still ain't enough for Uncle Dave, and it never will.
                          I think that's right, in that...I mean, when I was growing up, Roth was the man in terms of rock frontmen. By the time I was hitting my teens, John Lennon was dead. The Who were pretty much defunct. Led Zeppelin was history. KISS had already gone from the biggest thing in 1977 to a shitty tv movie to disco to The Elder. The Rolling Stones were still working, but even then they were more like relics from my older siblings generation. For me back then, Classic Van Halen was happening in realtime: they weren't a band that had already broken up or had long since peaked.

Roth was the frontman of that great band. And I can still remember that band dominating and the period before every half-assed EVH wannabe was putting two hands on the fretboard, and we had to contend with a seemingly endless parade of 2nd (and 3rd and 4th) rate Roth wannabes along the likes of Vince Neil and Bret Michaels. I mean, Roth had it all. Guy could do all those karate kicks, all those barefoot on hot coals screams, gave witty interviews: wonderful all-around entertainer.

After just about 40 years of listening to the man and the music he made, I just don't have the endurance to wade through more than - at most - a ten minute contemporary interview of him. He came across as cool as fuck in the 1980s. Now? More than a little peculiar. I mean, God Bless him, you know? Just seems like one odd duck nowadays.
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Dave was always an odd duck. It’s just creepy when a guy in his 60’s is still acting that way. At least he’s not wearing chaps with no pants on at his age.

Comment

Dave was always an odd duck. It’s just creepy when a guy in his 60’s is still acting that way. At least he’s not wearing chaps with no pants on at his age.
                              That last charity solo gig he did...yeesh. Honestly, if THAT is representative of Roth's level of ability/quality control these days, I'm not really sure that I'd WANT to see Mike Anthony rejoin the group at this point.

Roth just comes off like he's tweaking out on his meds too much these days. Far more weird than cool, and the hipper he tries to act the more weird it comes across.

Plus, I've always considered Joe Rogan to be more than a bit of a talentless douche, so just the choice of interviewer alone was an inhibitor to me wanting to watch 2 + hours of a Roth interview in 2019.
                              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Yes, Roth DOES show some restraint re: not going assless chaps route.

Perhaps if someone could persuade him to ditch the assorted line of Peter Bogdanovich neckerchiefs...
                                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...
                                X