Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,337 Times in 6,024 Posts

Bernie Tormé Dead

Bad day for guitarists...

Press concentrating on the Ozzy angle but he was only in that job for a very short time.

He was gigging until very recently.

FORMER OZZY GUITARIST BERNIE TORMÉ DEAD AT 66

Bernie Tormé, the guitarist who played with Ozzy after the death of Randy Rhoads, has been confirmed dead.

Bernie Tormé, former guitarist for Ozzy Osbourne’s solo band and Deep Purple guitarist Ian Gillan’s pet project Gillan, died on Sunday of a virulent case of peneumonia. He was 66 years old.

The news was announced via Tormé’s Facebook page, with a post simply listing his birth and death date.

Born Bernard Tormey, Bernie grew up in Ireland and was inspired by the likes of Jimi Hendrix and Jeff Beck. He began playing guitar at a young age, and later, driven by the rising punk scene of the ’70s, he formed the Bernie Tormé Band and toured with acts including Billy Idol’s Generation X.

He first found commercial success with Gillan, the band started by Deep Purple guitarist Ian Gillan, with whom he played for four years and scored several Top Ten records in the UK. Later, after the death of Randy Rhoads, Bernie was flown in to tour with Ozzy’s solo band. However, after a few live shows, it was clear that Bernie’s bluesy style was not in keeping with Ozzy’s steely, chugging sound. Bernie returned to the UK, where he worked on his solo band Torme, as well as other collaborations, including the band Desperado which he formed with Twisted Sister frontman Dee Snider.

During his time with Gillan and Ozzy, Bernie inspired countless musicians with his heavy, bluesy style. A young Zakk Wylde was among the audience at Bernie’s show with Ozzy at Madison Square Garden in New York City. He referred to Bernie as “my hero” and insisted he take a selfie with the guitarist at this year’s Sweden Rock Festival. Ozzy reunited with Bernie one last time at Sweden Rock Festival last summer; it was the first time they’d seen each other in

Sadly, it was reported earlier this year that Bernie was suffering from “double pneumonia,” for which he was placed on a ventilator. Fans started a Pledge Music campaign to help pay for his medical bills, and then started another crowdfunding campaign to further help him.

Our hearts go out to Bernie’s family, friends, bandmates and loved ones during this difficult time.
    https://www.kerrang.com/the-news/for...A9-dead-at-66/
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I remember this one with Phil Lewis...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,481 Posts

Blog Entries
    He had a neat style. All I've ever seen/heard of him was off of the Gillan In Edinburgh 1980 dvd, which was originally released in the mid-2000s although I didn't pick up a copy until late last year.

I'd heard of Torme's name for years, mostly/pretty much solely in connection with being the first guitarist to replace Rhoads. Had never heard him play. As I said, a cool, straight-up heavy blues/heard rock style that was in vogue in the late 1970s/early 1980s...at least from what I saw and heard on that Gillan dvd. Have never bothered to look for or listen to any boots - assuming they exist - of the few gigs he did with Ozzy.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    I remember this one with Phil Lewis...

Neat tune.

Phil Lewis has always come off as a bit of a wanker to me. Dunno why, but he always has. Perhaps sort of the U.K.'s answer to Don Dokken, or something along those lines.

I could be wrong.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,279 Times in 4,710 Posts

What's ironic is that Torme was only with Ozzy for a short time, but continued to play the songs live (which he had obviously nothing to do with writing) decades later.

Don't know if his microphone wasn't plugged in or if the mix was just horrible....

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Wow that's terrible on every level.

That's how Mr Crowley sounds if with no prior notice you jam it in a rehearsal room when you only vaguely remember it, why would he close a festival set like that?
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 03-19-2019 at 09:17 AM.

7. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (03-19-2019)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Wow that's terrible on every level.

That's how Mr Crowley sounds if with no prior notice you jam it in a rehearsal room when you only vaguely remember it, why would he close a festival set like that?
    Which...I mean, I don't know the particulars of what Torme had been up to post-Gillan, but the guitar playing in that clip came across like that of someone who had only been playing the instrument for two or three years and not 4 decades. Even if he wasn't 100% familiar with the track - and, as you say, why play it if you aren't - his technique seems almost semi-amateurish: doesn't sound like someone who had been playing for the amount of time he had been at that point.

Again, I don't know if Torme was suffering from arthritis, or too many years of being fucked up or what.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,279 Times in 4,710 Posts

Watching the end of that video again, I don't think the bass player was very happy with Torme's performance either. He looked kind of disgusted as he tossed his bass aside and stormed off stage.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-11-2024 @ 11:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,990 Times in 3,229 Posts

Blog Entries
    Never hear of him and after seeing that Mr. Crowley clip I know why I never heard of him. Stepping on our cat sounds better.

Thread Information