Thread: Dave & Dave Unchained

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    01-26-2024 @ 04:23 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Dave & Dave Unchained

It seems that the Van Halen camp had a deal with the Hagar camp on having Mike available for a Classic Van Halen 2020 World Tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJyFfjXcOiY
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,560 Times in 3,448 Posts

Buffalo isn't "upstate" NY, it's Western New York...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    01-26-2024 @ 04:23 PM
    Status
    Thanks

It´s two A.M the traffic´s slow, it looks like ladies nite in Buffalo!!!

4. 2 users say thank you to diamondclaudio for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (03-28-2019),Terry (03-30-2019)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:29 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,613 Posts

I was almost correct about a Classic East style gig. But Heart and Joan Jett opening?

They're right about MA not being enough to sell tickets. Remember all the Groupon sales during the last tour, and those were mostly the smaller summer sheds. Mike wouldn't have helped that.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

"The Wilson sisters had a spat and got over it (paraphrasing), why can't Van Halen?"

Thirty years later and that's still the question. Selling shoes is lucrative. Al doesn't need to re-fill his bank account after (yet another) divorce.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

I believe their take that Van Halen looked into doing some big shows this year but it's fallen through.

As an aside looking at this years Classic East lineup I get how, as bands with combined sales of a bazillion, a lot of people will be excited about The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Steely Dan, Journey, The Doobie Brothers & Earth, Wind and Fire.

Personally though I have absolutely no interest at all in that old MOR stuff.

If there had been a show with Van Halen, Heart and Joan Jett I may not have bothered even watching the support acts.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 03-28-2019 at 10:48 PM.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

They did a good summary of the 3 hour Rogan interview for people that don't want to sit through the whole thing....

9. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

ZahZoo (03-30-2019)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Is that this year's Classics East lineup? Sounds a lot like the first Classics shows from a couple years ago.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

They did a good summary of the 3 hour Rogan interview for people that don't want to sit through the whole thing....

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    I was almost correct about a Classic East style gig. But Heart and Joan Jett opening?

They're right about MA not being enough to sell tickets. Remember all the Groupon sales during the last tour, and those were mostly the smaller summer sheds. Mike wouldn't have helped that.
    Mike rejoining for a 2020 CVH tour would probably give the band a bump in terms of drawing power, in that it might prod some who have seen one or more of the last 3 Roth-led VH tours (and aren't inclined to see another one again with the band as is at the moment) to go see them one more time. Clearly, I'm speaking primarily from my own perspective: having seen VH Mach 4 twice, I ain't inclined to see them again. A CVH reunion is all the band have left to induce me to see a live show now.

I'm under no illusions Mike rejoining at this point is going to add anything all that substantive in terms of the live sound the band have going now beyond the backing vocals. Ed and Al can still get the job done with or without Anthony. Wolfgang is adequate far as the bass playing goes. And Mike rejoining ain't gonna make Dave sound any better if he keeps singing the way he has been.

Also, the band waiting another year to 18 months from now isn't gonna be all that helpful, considering they are on the wrong side of the age equation to begin with: it ain't 1984 anymore. Or even 1996. While I think the time to have done this has already passed, if they're gonna do it diddling around wasting more time isn't a good strategy.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    I'm under no illusions that VH or Diamond Dave will ever work again recording or performing shows...

What the hell are they waiting for..? Who the fuck knows...

Lazy-assed oxygen thieves...

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-16-2024 @ 07:09 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Terry, I know what you mean regarding VH getting old and all and at this point I don`t even know if I want to see them again live...but to keep things into perspective there maybe worst in life...Like paying for family outing at an Arianna Grande show which for your info is much more expensive than any VH show or any other band I'd rather want to see. Life is unfair. I even have to go see Heart this summer... So if VH gets back I may be tempted just by comparison to what I will have to suffer this summer.

15. Thanked So this is love for this KICKASS post:

Terry (03-30-2019)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by So this is love View Post
    Terry, I know what you mean regarding VH getting old and all and at this point I don`t even know if I want to see them again live...but to keep things into perspective there maybe worst in life...Like paying for family outing at an Arianna Grande show which for your info is much more expensive than any VH show or any other band I'd rather want to see. Life is unfair. I even have to go see Heart this summer... So if VH gets back I may be tempted just by comparison to what I will have to suffer this summer.
    I mean, I was only speaking from my own perspective...like, fairly recently on a (I Think) KISS thread here, I commented about how I couldn't be bothered to see them on this 'final' tour, then someone replied that they were going because they were taking their kid because they wanted to share with their kid what they had liked when they were growing up...which was a pretty cool reason, I thought.

Honestly, two of the best shows I've seen in the last decade were Neil Diamond and Billy Joel, and despite knowing and liking a lot of what they did I'm not necessarily a diehard fan of either of those guys, so what does that tell you? The missus wanted us to go see Ozzy this summer because she never has: wasn't thrilled with the idea myself because I'd seen him twice in the 1980s and he's more than a bit washed up now, but sometimes you bite the bullet and go.

With bands like Van Halen...they're all getting up there. More than a few of them can't cut the mustard live and haven't been able to for quite some time, and others can still sort of pull it off but you can tell they don't have too many gigs left before they're not worth the bother. And there really aren't many younger rock bands coming up behind these older ones that have caught my ear or are going to fill the void once these old warhorses finally start dying off. There are a lot of working rock bands these days who look the part in terms of the gear, the clothes, the poses...they all got it goin' on 'cept for, you know, the actual music itself. So, I totally get that even a somewhat diminished Van Halen may well be infinitely preferable to an Arianna Grande...or even a Poison (no spring chickens themselves) at full capacity.

Heart might be alright, assuming Ann Wilson's pipes have held up. Can't say I was ever a hardcore Heart fan, even regarding their 1970s output (where people always make the comparison between their earlier records vs. their mid to late 1980s radio-friendly MTV era output), but Ann Wilson's voice always managed to shine through even their more saccharine material.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    So, I totally get that even a somewhat diminished Van Halen may well be infinitely preferable to an Arianna Grande...or even a Poison (no spring chickens themselves) at full capacity.
    For a lot of people the developments in mime technology these days will hugely enhance their enjoyment of a Poison show compared to back in the day.

18. 2 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (03-31-2019),ZahZoo (03-31-2019)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    For a lot of people the developments in mime technology these days will hugely enhance their enjoyment of a Poison show compared to back in the day.
    I only had the, er...um, 'pleasure' of seeing Poison live once when they opened for Ratt in the mid-1980s just as the Look What The Cat album was released. My take on the band then was that they came across like an act that was adequate for large clubs but didn't have what it took to win over arena-sized crowds. Much like when I had seen Bon Jovi open for Scorpions after Bon Jovi's second album had came out, my feeling certainly wasn't one of thinking that Poison was a band that was destined for bigger things, certainly not on the scale of commercial success they ended up reaching.

Shows what I knew, although I never became what one would call a fan of either group, even after they both made it big.

20. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (03-31-2019)

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-21-2021 @ 06:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I only had the, er...um, 'pleasure' of seeing Poison live once when they opened for Ratt in the mid-1980s just as the Look What The Cat album was released. My take on the band then was that they came across like an act that was adequate for large clubs but didn't have what it took to win over arena-sized crowds. Much like when I had seen Bon Jovi open for Scorpions after Bon Jovi's second album had came out, my feeling certainly wasn't one of thinking that Poison was a band that was destined for bigger things, certainly not on the scale of commercial success they ended up reaching.

Shows what I knew, although I never became what one would call a fan of either group, even after they both made it big.
    When I saw Bon Jovi in 1986 on the Monsters as sevond opener after Doro Pesch's Warlock it was different. I instantly knew I witnessed something BIG! The German audience was a tough one and awaited the "poser" with crossed arms.

And Jonny-Boy was working that fucking stage if it was about life and death. And he WON the crowd over. After all the cheese he put out and the pussy rock he produced I still have some respect for him after all these years for that effort!

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidLeeNatra View Post
    When I saw Bon Jovi in 1986 on the Monsters as sevond opener after Doro Pesch's Warlock it was different. I instantly knew I witnessed something BIG! The German audience was a tough one and awaited the "poser" with crossed arms.

And Jonny-Boy was working that fucking stage if it was about life and death. And he WON the crowd over. After all the cheese he put out and the pussy rock he produced I still have some respect for him after all these years for that effort!

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk
    I mean, I was as stunned as anyone else when Bon Jovi came out with Slippery When Wet and vaulted into the massive commercial success they ended up becoming. Mostly because from what I heard on the first two albums and saw for myself on the Scorpions opening slot, nothing there indicated to me that this was a band poised to become arena headliners and multi-platinum sellers. Those first two albums were hardly stellar stuff: nothing exceptional or particularly distinguishable from anything else going on within the confines of the American hard rock scene in 1984 and 1985. Jon Bon Jovi was a pretty boy: more photogenic than, say, Kevin DuBrow to be sure. But that wasn't translating into instant commercial success right out of the gate for the band. There wasn't this huge street buzz about Bon Jovi leading up to Slippery When Wet that I ever heard of.

To be sure, Bon Jovi put in some hard work touring for both Slippery When Wet and New Jersey. Lot of roadwork. Whatever I think of the music he made - which admittedly isn't much - one certainly can't say he didn't put in the hard work in terms of the touring.

Shit, even after Slippery When Wet and New Jersey came and went, I still would have thought back then that Bon Jovi was destined to wind up more timely than timeless and would have went the way of State Fairs/County Expos/House Of Blues-size venues like the rest of their hair band ilk. Almost as surprising as their massive late 1980s success was how they still endured decades after at in terms of the crowd sizes they were still able to pull in as late as 2010. And they were still lobbing off the odd charting song here and there in the 2000s.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Bon Jovi extended his career by turning into "Bono Jovi". When his first record of the 90s came out, he was suddenly wearing the same sleeveless shirt & haircut that Bono had at Red Rocks in 1983, embracing Democratic political causes, and one of the singles from that album had the lyric "all I've got is this guitar, three chords, and the truth" which was a direct steal from U2's version of "All Along the Watchtower", as seen in Rattle & Hum.

I pointed this all out at the time to a friend who was a big Bon Jovi fan. Of course he wouldn't admit I was right. Oh well....

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Bon Jovi extended his career by turning into "Bono Jovi". When his first record of the 90s came out, he was suddenly wearing the same sleeveless shirt & haircut that Bono had at Red Rocks in 1983, embracing Democratic political causes, and one of the singles from that album had the lyric "all I've got is this guitar, three chords, and the truth" which was a direct steal from U2's version of "All Along the Watchtower", as seen in Rattle & Hum.

I pointed this all out at the time to a friend who was a big Bon Jovi fan. Of course he wouldn't admit I was right. Oh well....
    to

If he espoused "Democratic ideals", he's a shallow corporatist cunt that tried to move the Buffalo Bills to Toronto as part of an ownership group with Rogers Communications, a major Canadian cable huckster conglomerate, despite the fact there is no current venue in Toronto to play NFL football in, and most NFL fans in Southern Ontario are quite happy to come to Orchard Park to watch football -even if its shitty Bills' football- and don't really want to put up with the bullshit it would take to go to an NFL game in Toronto when they can come to an open area of parking lots where they can drink their fucking faces off in open parking lots. Of course, Jon was shrieking at the top of his little lungs that he didn't wanna move the team and was going to keep them in Buffalo and all that shit. But, at the end of the day, he's a cunt full of shit and can fuck off. Have a Nice Day. Fucking liberal nice guy everyman...
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 03-31-2019 at 04:48 PM.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Unfortunately, his "Democratic ideals" are closer to the Clinton type (corporatist cunts) than the Bernie type (FDR style actual Democrat)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Unfortunately, his "Democratic ideals" are closer to the Clinton type (corporatist cunts) than the Bernie type (FDR style actual Democrat)
    I doubt he would know what the fuck we are talking about...

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I only had the, er...um, 'pleasure' of seeing Poison live once when they opened for Ratt in the mid-1980s just as the Look What The Cat album was released.
    Dancing Undercover tour, I believe.

Saw them at Blossom that year. Left halfway through Ratt's set, it was so loud you couldn't tell what the songs were. It was halfway through Wanted Man before I knew what it was.

Just loud for the sake of being loud, not musically loud. No clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    to

If he espoused "Democratic ideals", he's a shallow corporatist cunt that tried to move the Buffalo Bills to Toronto as part of an ownership group with Rogers Communications, a major Canadian cable huckster conglomerate, despite the fact there is no current venue in Toronto to play NFL football in, and most NFL fans in Southern Ontario are quite happy to come to Orchard Park to watch football -even if its shitty Bills' football- and don't really want to put up with the bullshit it would take to go to an NFL game in Toronto when they can come to an open area of parking lots where they can drink their fucking faces off in open parking lots. Of course, Jon was shrieking at the top of his little lungs that he didn't wanna move the team and was going to keep them in Buffalo and all that shit. But, at the end of the day, he's a cunt full of shit and can fuck off. Have a Nice Day. Fucking liberal nice guy everyman...
    I stopped at the duty free coming back from Toronto after the first VH show in '07. Monday afternoon, Canadian Thanksgiving (Tommy V will correct me) and the Bills on MNF. Duty free is PACKED with Canadians in NFL jerseys, snatchin' up beer like there was an announcement made that the beer in the building is all there is left in the world. Guys fighting over a case of Budweiser...all I could do was laugh.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Saw them at Blossom that year. Left halfway through Ratt's set, it was so loud you couldn't tell what the songs were. It was halfway through Wanted Man before I knew what it was.

I believe it was.

For some odd reason, I ended up seeing Ratt three times in the 80s. First time was as an opening act for Billy Squier, which was the only time out of the three that I actively wanted to see the band. The other two times, for their Invasion and Undercover tours, I got asked by friends who had extra tickets at the last minute because the original ticketholders had backed out: I hadn't originally planned on attending either show from just a general lack of interest. Ratt were never particularly great live, either. I had wanted to see them when they opened up for Squier in 1984 because I really liked the Out Of The Cellar album, but they never blew me away any of the times I saw 'em live.

This was all in Rhode Island, where my best bud's divorced mom knew the main concert promoter for the Providence Civic Center (the main concert venue for bands playing in the state). She'd get us tickets, take us up, drop us off and pick us up after. Between 1983 and 1986, we saw Black Sabbath/Quiet Riot, Ozzy/Motley Crue, Judas Priest/Great White, Scorpions/Bon Jovi, Dio/Twisted Sister, Ozzy/Metallica, Van Halen/Autograph, Ratt/Poison, Billy Squier/Ratt, Dio/Rough Cutt, Iron Maiden/Accept, Deep Purple/Girlschool, Aerosmith/David Johansen, KISS/Black 'n Blue and I also remember seeing Dokken there as an opening act, but I'm fucked if I remember for who...and I can't remember who opened for Ratt on the Invasion tour because we got there only for Ratt's set (plus, I do recall being pretty baked for that one). My dad took me there to see Billy Joel in 1984, and that actually turned out to be a great show, but I didn't want to go because the idea of going to a concert with my father wasn't cool.

Best headliner: Dio on the Last In Line Tour. Twisted Sister, at the height of their Stay Hungry fame, opened...but they were pretty fucking lame. Even back then as a 14 year old, I thought their image was as lame and ridiculous as their music. Dio just came out and fucking blew that audience away. Second best was Maiden on the Powerslave tour. Van Halen on the 1984 tour was perhaps the biggest theatrical production I'd ever seen in the Civic Center, but not the best band in terms of the impact of the show on me, which was weird because Van Halen was certainly my favorite band in 1984. Deep Purple was easily the loudest band I ever saw in those years: my ears literally rang for 2 days after that concert.
    Last edited by Terry; 03-31-2019 at 07:13 PM.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

However Bon Jovi did it, by hook or by crook, he managed to extend his career LONG after many of his 1980s contemporaries couldn't even get booked into the Tic-Tock-Inn, much less fill a stadium. So, corporate centrist democrat douchebag capitalist Rockstar poser or not, at least Bon Jerkoff didn't have to kiss Eddie Trunk's ring on That Metal Show to keep his name out there. Career-wise, little Johnny Bongiovi made out pretty good on what I'd consider to be a meager amount of talent.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, that sounds like the only Bon Jovi show I ever went to, in the Tacoma Dome in 1989. Acoustics in that building usually are fairly good for concerts (unlike the late and not so lamented Kingdome) but they just had their shit up so loud that it was a fuzzy distorted mess. Had no idea what song they were playing half the time. Only bothered to stick around for the same reason anybody would stick around a Bon Jovi concert..... rocker chicks flashing their tits!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Maybe their sound guy was told to be loud as possible because when I saw them supporting Ozzy at the time of IOYP they were louder than the headliners, almost painfully loud.

In a 40 minute set they did two guitar solo spots...

Thread Information