Dave & Dave Unchained

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave & Dave Unchained

It seems that the Van Halen camp had a deal with the Hagar camp on having Mike available for a Classic Van Halen 2020 World Tour.

Source:https://www.spreaker.com/user/daveanddaveunchained/ddu-ep39-march-2019EPISODE #39 – What the hell is going on with Van Halen? We dig deep into the rum...

Buffalo isn't "upstate" NY, it's Western New York...

Comment

It´s two A.M the traffic´s slow, it looks like ladies nite in Buffalo!!!

Comment

I was almost correct about a Classic East style gig. But Heart and Joan Jett opening?

They're right about MA not being enough to sell tickets. Remember all the Groupon sales during the last tour, and those were mostly the smaller summer sheds. Mike wouldn't have helped that.
        Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

"The Wilson sisters had a spat and got over it (paraphrasing), why can't Van Halen?"

Thirty years later and that's still the question. Selling shoes is lucrative. Al doesn't need to re-fill his bank account after (yet another) divorce.
          Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

I believe their take that Van Halen looked into doing some big shows this year but it's fallen through.

As an aside looking at this years Classic East lineup I get how, as bands with combined sales of a bazillion, a lot of people will be excited about The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Steely Dan, Journey, The Doobie Brothers & Earth, Wind and Fire.

Personally though I have absolutely no interest at all in that old MOR stuff.

If there had been a show with Van Halen, Heart and Joan Jett I may not have bothered even watching the support acts.
            Last edited by Seshmeister; 03-28-2019, 10:48 PM.

Comment

They did a good summary of the 3 hour Rogan interview for people that don't want to sit through the whole thing....

Comment

Is that this year's Classics East lineup? Sounds a lot like the first Classics shows from a couple years ago.

Comment

They did a good summary of the 3 hour Rogan interview for people that don't want to sit through the whole thing....

Comment

Originally posted by twonabomber View Post
                    I was almost correct about a Classic East style gig. But Heart and Joan Jett opening?

They're right about MA not being enough to sell tickets. Remember all the Groupon sales during the last tour, and those were mostly the smaller summer sheds. Mike wouldn't have helped that.
                    Mike rejoining for a 2020 CVH tour would probably give the band a bump in terms of drawing power, in that it might prod some who have seen one or more of the last 3 Roth-led VH tours (and aren't inclined to see another one again with the band as is at the moment) to go see them one more time. Clearly, I'm speaking primarily from my own perspective: having seen VH Mach 4 twice, I ain't inclined to see them again. A CVH reunion is all the band have left to induce me to see a live show now.

I'm under no illusions Mike rejoining at this point is going to add anything all that substantive in terms of the live sound the band have going now beyond the backing vocals. Ed and Al can still get the job done with or without Anthony. Wolfgang is adequate far as the bass playing goes. And Mike rejoining ain't gonna make Dave sound any better if he keeps singing the way he has been.

Also, the band waiting another year to 18 months from now isn't gonna be all that helpful, considering they are on the wrong side of the age equation to begin with: it ain't 1984 anymore. Or even 1996. While I think the time to have done this has already passed, if they're gonna do it diddling around wasting more time isn't a good strategy.
                    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

I'm under no illusions that VH or Diamond Dave will ever work again recording or performing shows...

What the hell are they waiting for..? Who the fuck knows...

Lazy-assed oxygen thieves...
                      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

Terry, I know what you mean regarding VH getting old and all and at this point I don`t even know if I want to see them again live...but to keep things into perspective there maybe worst in life...Like paying for family outing at an Arianna Grande show which for your info is much more expensive than any VH show or any other band I'd rather want to see. Life is unfair. I even have to go see Heart this summer... So if VH gets back I may be tempted just by comparison to what I will have to suffer this summer.
                        Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

Originally posted by So this is love View Post
                          Terry, I know what you mean regarding VH getting old and all and at this point I don`t even know if I want to see them again live...but to keep things into perspective there maybe worst in life...Like paying for family outing at an Arianna Grande show which for your info is much more expensive than any VH show or any other band I'd rather want to see. Life is unfair. I even have to go see Heart this summer... So if VH gets back I may be tempted just by comparison to what I will have to suffer this summer.
                          I mean, I was only speaking from my own perspective...like, fairly recently on a (I Think) KISS thread here, I commented about how I couldn't be bothered to see them on this 'final' tour, then someone replied that they were going because they were taking their kid because they wanted to share with their kid what they had liked when they were growing up...which was a pretty cool reason, I thought.

Honestly, two of the best shows I've seen in the last decade were Neil Diamond and Billy Joel, and despite knowing and liking a lot of what they did I'm not necessarily a diehard fan of either of those guys, so what does that tell you? The missus wanted us to go see Ozzy this summer because she never has: wasn't thrilled with the idea myself because I'd seen him twice in the 1980s and he's more than a bit washed up now, but sometimes you bite the bullet and go.

With bands like Van Halen...they're all getting up there. More than a few of them can't cut the mustard live and haven't been able to for quite some time, and others can still sort of pull it off but you can tell they don't have too many gigs left before they're not worth the bother. And there really aren't many younger rock bands coming up behind these older ones that have caught my ear or are going to fill the void once these old warhorses finally start dying off. There are a lot of working rock bands these days who look the part in terms of the gear, the clothes, the poses...they all got it goin' on 'cept for, you know, the actual music itself. So, I totally get that even a somewhat diminished Van Halen may well be infinitely preferable to an Arianna Grande...or even a Poison (no spring chickens themselves) at full capacity.

Heart might be alright, assuming Ann Wilson's pipes have held up. Can't say I was ever a hardcore Heart fan, even regarding their 1970s output (where people always make the comparison between their earlier records vs. their mid to late 1980s radio-friendly MTV era output), but Ann Wilson's voice always managed to shine through even their more saccharine material.
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry View Post
                            So, I totally get that even a somewhat diminished Van Halen may well be infinitely preferable to an Arianna Grande...or even a Poison (no spring chickens themselves) at full capacity.
                            For a lot of people the developments in mime technology these days will hugely enhance their enjoyment of a Poison show compared to back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Seshmeister View Post
                              For a lot of people the developments in mime technology these days will hugely enhance their enjoyment of a Poison show compared to back in the day.
                              I only had the, er...um, 'pleasure' of seeing Poison live once when they opened for Ratt in the mid-1980s just as the Look What The Cat album was released. My take on the band then was that they came across like an act that was adequate for large clubs but didn't have what it took to win over arena-sized crowds. Much like when I had seen Bon Jovi open for Scorpions after Bon Jovi's second album had came out, my feeling certainly wasn't one of thinking that Poison was a band that was destined for bigger things, certainly not on the scale of commercial success they ended up reaching.

Shows what I knew, although I never became what one would call a fan of either group, even after they both made it big.
                              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...
                              X