ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Bush Countdown Clock

Barbara Bush Died with a Countdown Clock to the End of Trump’s Term Still Ticking by Her Bedside

by KENZIE BRYANT
    Vanity Fair
    MARCH 27, 2019 12:31 PM

Jordan Peele recently wrote two excellent horror screenplays. In addition, The Babadook was quite spooky before the titular character became a gay icon. I still haven‘t read the Wikipedia page for Hereditary, but from what I understand, it’s extremely scary.

Unfortunately, none of those earn the title of most terrifying horror story. In fact, they might as well be PBS viewing for toddlers compared to the scariest story of all, the one contained in two paragraphs of a new Barbara Bush biography, excerpted in USA Today:

After Trump was elected, a friend in Kennebunkport gave her a Trump countdown clock as a joke. The red, white, and blue digital clock displayed how many days, hours, minutes and seconds remained in Trump’s term. She parked it on the side table in her bedroom, next to the chair she would sit in to needlepoint or watch television.

She liked the countdown clock so much that when the Bushes returned to Houston that October, she brought it with her. It sat on her bedside table, where she could see it every day. It was there to the day she died.
    Do you feel that coldness? That icy shot to the kidneys? It hits at the precise moment one realizes it’s possible to expire before the presidency countdown clock on the bedside table does. What horror show is this? What perfect torment?

The biography was penned by Susan Page, the Washington Bureau chief of USA Today, who interviewed the Bush family matriarch in the final six months of her life and had access to the former First Lady’s diaries. (Bush died nearly a year ago in Houston at 92, just over seven months before the death of her husband, former president George H.W. Bush.) Between the beginning of Page’s time with Bush and the end of it, something changed. “Did she still consider herself a Republican? In an interview with me in October 2017, she answered that question yes,” Page wrote. “When I asked her again four months later, in February 2018, she said, ‘I’d probably say no today.’”

It’s certainly notable when news breaks that a blue-chip Republican finds little of value in the party today. But before one welcomes the ghost of Barbara Bush to the resistance, remember that her particular anti-Trump hostility came from the potent mix of maternal instinct and Reagan-era pride. In the 80s, Page wrote, Bush saw through Donald Trump’s cartoonish, ham-fisted grasping. She took issue with his needling of Ronald and Nancy Reagan at a charity benefit in one diary entry. Then in another, after the media reported Ivana wasn’t satisfied with her $25 million divorce settlement, Bush wrote in her diary, “The Trumps are a new word, both of them. Trump now means Greed, selfishness and ugly. So sad.”

More at https://www.vanityfair.com/style/201...ountdown-clock
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

She got the wrong clock. If she had the analog clock which moved its hands every time Trump lies, she could have used it as a ceiling fan in Hell.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    She lived well on her hubby's cocaine, oil and military contracting money. HW died with a big nest egg. His idiot kids will waste no time burning through all of it. I hope they just live decadent lives and stay the hell out of politics.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    George got into Barbara's bush and a bunch of idiot children were the result. George Jr. must have gotten dropped on the head a few times by the nanny.

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2019 @ 01:51 AM
    Status
    Thanks

The late first woman Barbara Bush despised President Donald Trump so much that she kept a facetiously talented clock tallying down to the finish of his administration by her bedside until the day she kicked the bucket, as indicated by an extract of another book about her.

General Secretaty
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-08-2024 @ 05:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck the Bush Family. And the McCains. And the Romneys.

Not my nor many others' first choices as they were all RINOS, but we were team players nonetheless.

When it came time for THEM and their supporters (Bill Kristol, George Will etc etc) to "get on board the team for the big win" in 2016 they showed us all their true colors with a big "Fuck you if we don't get our way."

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I don't get Mitt Romney. He's rich. He owns lots of nice property. He's been successful in business and was a state governor. Why in the hell would you want to be a junior Senator in the US Congress at his age? It's a step down from being governor of Massachusetts. If he wants to run for president to be a spoiler because he hates Trump he doesn't have to be a senator. I just don't get it.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 3,449 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Schultz View Post
    Fuck the Bush Family. And the McCains. And the Romneys.

Not my nor many others' first choices as they were all RINOS, but we were team players nonetheless.

When it came time for THEM and their supporters (Bill Kristol, George Will etc etc) to "get on board the team for the big win" in 2016 they showed us all their true colors with a big "Fuck you if we don't get our way."

They were RINOS, you are PEDOS...

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    I don't get Mitt Romney. He's rich. He owns lots of nice property. He's been successful in business and was a state governor. Why in the hell would you want to be a junior Senator in the US Congress at his age? It's a step down from being governor of Massachusetts. If he wants to run for president to be a spoiler because he hates Trump he doesn't have to be a senator. I just don't get it.
    It's a case of not ready to retire... so he got a job with great earning potential, can't be fired and doesn't have to produce any meaningful results... I can only surmise that no corporate board would put up with him.

10. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Terry (03-30-2019)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    I think Mittens is still holding on to that old Mormon "White Horse prophecy" and he genuinely believes that Elohim has chosen him to "save America". It's not like the guy had any real ties to Utah, apart from ancient family & religious history (and his brief business association with the SLC winter olympics). But being the most famous LDS Republican in the country, he knew he could walk right into Orrin Hatch's senate seat. But for what purpose? Only logical answer is to build his clout within Washington DC in hopes it will leave him in a better position than he was in 2012.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 3,449 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    It's a case of not ready to retire... so he got a job with great earning potential, can't be fired and doesn't have to produce any meaningful results... I can only surmise that no corporate board would put up with him.
    Well, his family did own AMC, so he's a natural!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

To be fair, George Romney left AMC in 1962, so he can't really be blamed for the Pacer or the Gremlin. Actually, George was a far better businessman than his son. If not for his hatred of unions, he might have almost have been mistaken for a "progressive", as far as corporate CEO's go....

Sales of Ramblers soared in the late 1950s in part because of American Motors' focus on the compact car and its marketing efforts. These included sponsoring the hugely popular Walt Disney anthology television series and as an exhibitor at the Disneyland theme park in Anaheim, California. George Romney himself pitched the Rambler product in the television commercials.

While the "Big Three" introduced ever-larger cars, AMC followed a "dinosaur-fighter" strategy. George W. Romney's leadership focused the company on the compact car, a fuel-efficient vehicle 20 years before there was a real need for them. This gave Romney a high profile in the media. Two core strategic factors came into play: the use of shared components in AMC products and a refusal to participate in the Big Three's restyling race. This cost-control policy helped Rambler develop a reputation as solid economy cars. Company officials were confident in the changing market and in 1959 announced a $10 million (US$85,947,489 in 2016 dollars) expansion of its Kenosha complex (to increase annual straight-time capacity from 300,000 to 440,000 cars). A letter to shareholders in 1959 claimed that the introduction of new compact cars by AMC's large domestic competitors (for the 1960 model year) "signals the end of big-car domination in the U.S." and that AMC predicts small-car sales in the U.S. may reach 3 million units by 1963.

American Motors was also beginning to experiment in non-gasoline powered automobiles. On April 1, 1959, AMC and Sonotone Corporation announced a joint research effort to consider producing an electric car that was to be powered by a "self-charging" battery. Sonotone had the technology for making sintered plate nickel–cadmium batteries that can be recharged very rapidly and are lighter than a typical automobile lead–acid battery.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...rs_Corporation

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    A venture capitalist heading a private equity investment firm usually wouldn't be greeted by an existing corporate board with open arms if said board was committed to actually seeing said company achieve success, unless said corporate board defined success as limited to loading up the company with debt and quickly selling off stocks after the IPO.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    I think Mittens is still holding on to that old Mormon "White Horse prophecy" and he genuinely believes that Elohim has chosen him to "save America". It's not like the guy had any real ties to Utah, apart from ancient family & religious history (and his brief business association with the SLC winter olympics). But being the most famous LDS Republican in the country, he knew he could walk right into Orrin Hatch's senate seat. But for what purpose? Only logical answer is to build his clout within Washington DC in hopes it will leave him in a better position than he was in 2012.
    That's all I could figure re: Romney's re-entry into national politics. He's just keeping his name out there as a viable possibility down the line. Much like with Hillary Clinton, I never got the feeling with Romney that he ever particularly wanted to be President for any grand visions he had regarding the country: above all else, Romney just wanted the prize. He was never able to articulate any grand vision for America throughout the 2012 primary and general election season, and his charisma factor is about as close to zero as it gets.

I certainly never thought he was gunning for the Utah Senate seat because he gave much of a shit about Utah outside of, say, Salt Lake City. I dunno if Romney actually realistically thinks he has a third presidential run left in him in terms of prevailing...it seems the party has moved a bit more to the right than Romney is publicly comfortable with, and it's hard to imagine the party getting back to a closer-to-center position considering where the party is at today in a time frame that would actually enable Romney to run before he reaches 80 years old.

Who knows? Maybe Ol' Willard Mittens just needs something to do to keep himself engaged...one imagines there is only so much fun to be derived from laundering/hiding your 'blind trust' dollars in various Cayman Islands banks. Not as fun as taking a ride on Air Force One whenever you want.

16. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

ZahZoo (03-31-2019)

Thread Information