X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
    It’s a novelty. Some out of work oil engineer in Texas was told if he could make a really good vodka it would sell well. So he built a little distilling operation and came up with his own recipe. It’s a corn based liquor. Not your traditional vodka. It’s basically watered down moonshine. It’s corn liquor but vodka sells so it’s marketed as vodka. I really don’t think it’s all that great.
    It's not bad at all. If I had to drink just vodka, I'd go French, grape-based vodka. But it's NOT white lighting masquerading as vodka. God help me because I love my family friends, but they make a local vodka in Buffalo that is god fucking awful. It tastes like paint thinner flavored with cardboard, clear spirits are easier to make and get to market while your beloved whiskies age, which is why they started with vodka. But there is a reason that cheap vodkas like Mohawk are typically sweet and have light flavorings like vanilla, because cheap vodka tastes like paint thinner and needs flavoring to mask it. Really bad vodka is pretty obvious and Titos, while not the best, is certainly not bad at all...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Not my firends' vodka, but also a Buffalo distilled product that sucks asshole and tastes like mineral spirits:

It apparently won an award, I have no fucking idea how. I wouldn't irrigate/disinfect a wound with it..

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
        It's funny that Ed claimed Dave didn't like Jump and didn't approve of keys because "you're a guitar hero, man!" But Dave has turned Jump into his signature song.

Of course we all know how full of shit Ed was in most interviews. See "I tune the guitar to itself" and "if you can find a tuner on the property, I'll give you a million bucks."
        Or how Eddie used to claim he boiled his guitar strings, or how Eddie used to misstate on how he fiddled with the Variac, or how he dipped his pickups into hot surfboard wax…all springing from when Al used to tell Eddie to turn his back to the audience back in the 1970s club days when Eddie did his tapping stuff: Eddie was just bullshitting in the early interviews to keep people from figuring out how he was doing what he was doing to get the sound he was getting and play the way he was playing. Along the same lines as Ed claiming his primary influence was Clapton: I heard a lot more of Jimmy Page, Ritchie Blackmore, Jeff Beck and Jimi Hendrix in Ed's early playing than I ever did Eric Clapton.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
          The audience has changed more than he has and doesn't like to acknowledge it in the same way you sometimes hear middle aged men complaining about the Star Wars prequels being childish while having a blind spot for the teddy bears in the 3rd one.

I remember a while back going along to my daughters dance and theater class end of year show and suddenly realizing half the show was 11 year old girls basically doing Dave's CVH schtick, doing high kicks, leaping from things and doing the splits, twirling batons and forgetting their lines.
          Well, you've got a small number of diehard Roth fans out there. Not enough to buy much more than 100,000 copies of anything Roth has released under his own name since 1993. The majority of people out there who even consider anything Roth is doing these days - if/when they even consider him at all - are only interested if Roth is fronting Van Halen. And I'd be willing to wager a not insignificant chunk of those people aren't exactly bowled over with what Dave brings to the stage these days, in terms of hearing anybody saying that Roth is either as good as he ever was or that he's getting the job done well on the vocal front.

Hard to say what Roth thinks re: public perception toward him now. Is Roth trapped in a time warp mentally, where he believes the general public still thinks he's the shit? Has Roth been cocooned in the guaranteed success his rejoining Van Halen provided to where he has forgotten the by comparison lean years of 1997 through 2007? Is Roth just chugging along the best he knows how to at the age he is?

Never much cared for Return Of The Jedi myself, even back in the day, and that wasn't necessarily all because of the Ewoks, either. Outside of the Jabba intro (most of which had to do with Carrie Fisher in that skimpy concubine outfit), I was fairly bored watching the movie. I was 7 years old when the first Star Wars came out. I grew up, but Star Wars didn't. By the time Return came out, I was 13 and more interested in finger banging my junior high classmates than watching the continuing space adventure sagas of George Lucas and Company.
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
            It's not bad at all. If I had to drink just vodka, I'd go French, grape-based vodka. But it's NOT white lighting masquerading as vodka. God help me because I love my family friends, but they make a local vodka in Buffalo that is god fucking awful. It tastes like paint thinner flavored with cardboard, clear spirits are easier to make and get to market while your beloved whiskies age, which is why they started with vodka. But there is a reason that cheap vodkas like Mohawk are typically sweet and have light flavorings like vanilla, because cheap vodka tastes like paint thinner and needs flavoring to mask it. Really bad vodka is pretty obvious and Titos, while not the best, is certainly not bad at all...
            Ok. It's high grade watered down corn liquor. Haha! I don't like Tito's. Many other vodkas in the same price range I would rather drink. Yeah cocktails were invented to mask the nasty taste of bathtub gin during prohibition. Before that people just drank whisky, beer and wine. It's when people were forced to drink black market swill they had to candy it all up.
            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
              Not my firends' vodka, but also a Buffalo distilled product that sucks asshole and tastes like mineral spirits:

It apparently won an award, I have no fucking idea how. I wouldn't irrigate/disinfect a wound with it..
              They should make Buffalo wing flavored vodka. Haha! Add some hot sauce and some butter and some chicken grease. Maybe a squirt of blue cheese dressing too.
              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

If nothing else I have drank more vodka than most people and Tito tasted pretty good to me, it's definitely smooth enough.

Full review once I drink it entirely soberly...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Full review once I drink it entirely soberly...
                  Something tells me that might be a while...

Comment

• Coyote
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Jan 2004

I'm surprised it took this long for someone to make a track like that. The ISO vocal tracks etc have been out there forever.
                    Ever heard of Youtube? From last years nostalgia-bait of a movie:

9 years ago:
                    Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• twonabomber
                      formerly F A T
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

The first one isn't in the movie.

I wouldn't be searching YouTube for anything like that. Apparently Dave wasn't either, or we would have heard of the second one nine years ago
                      Last edited by twonabomber; 05-05-2019, 08:03 AM.
                      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Coyote
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Jan 2004

The first one isn't in the movie.
                        Didn’t see it. Too much of a nerdfest for my taste, based on the trailer and the book.

I wouldn't be searching YouTube for anything like that. Apparently Dave wasn't either, or we would have heard of the second one nine years ago
                        Or Dave just goes for the bigger names. Although, IMO, he should’ve gone French instead of Dutch, when picking DJ’s.
                        Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

Working...