ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,337 Times in 6,024 Posts

Shitty rock journalism

I have to admit I don't read massive amounts of music journalism these days but I do try and keep a passing lookout for things Roth and CVH for the sake of this forum and with the recent mild upsurge in reporting of Dave with him doing some interviews I can't believe some of the garbage that passes these days. I get that some if not all of this shit is click bait but from supposedly 'proper' music sites I've been shocked at the shitty quality.

If I had time I would do it by category - stupid, ignorant, schoolboy errors and the ever pervasive 'fake irrelevant headline' but most are in this single abortion by some peabrain called Brett Buchanan.

If you are reading this Brentt don't dismiss this as fanboy defence of David Lee Roth as this is not a site that shrinks away from criticism.

Here is a typical bit of brilliant journalism from the the new Hunter S Thomson.
    https://www.alternativenation.net/sl...lvet-revolver/

Slash Reveals Disgusting Drug Use In Velvet Revolver

By Brett Buchanan - Apr 15, 2019

Guns N’ Roses guitarist Slash discussed using drugs during his days playing with the late Scott Weiland in Velvet Revolver in a new Belfast Live interview.

Slash revealed he struggled heavily with addiction “through the early millennium, up through 2005.”

He said, “Velvet Revolver started and just because of the nature of the band – and it’s my own fault – but within that context it was easy to do.”

“I got completely strung out again and at that point I realised there was nothing about being strung out that reminded me of anything like when I first started doing drugs. It was pretty miserable.”

“And then after that, with alcohol, nothing was doing it for me and I decided I had to stop.”

“I had two kids and I was living in a hotel because I couldn’t be around them.

“It all sort of came to a head and I thought I needed to go to some sort of facility and just get away from everybody for a month and I’ll clean up.”

“I really embraced it and I came out of it really happy and all that energy I was putting towards self-destruction I just put towards music.”

Slash went to rehab in 2006 and cleaned up for good. Dave Kushner is the only member of Velvet Revolver who was sober during the band’s 5 years together.

Slash 'reveals' drug use. Is this fucking new in 2019???? His autobiography came out over 10 years ago.

'Disgusting' - is that just some prurient line because there is nothing in this so called piece that merits the word? Wow the fucking Helen Lovejoy of music 'journalism' has spoken.

So a shitty pathetic pointless comment on an article/interview written by someone else.

I mention the above to put some context on this and his other recent articles like 'Greta Van Fleet Singer Hot Shirtless Photo Revealed' and 'Metallica Make Crazy Tom Cruise Revelation' - revelation being that they did a video for a song that was briefly in a Tom Cruise movie and it was windy. Read it, I'm not exaggerating.
    https://www.alternativenation.net/me...se-revelation/

So onto the new Steinbeck's David Lee Roth piece yesterday.
    https://www.alternativenation.net/va...racial-remark/

Van Halen Icon Makes Bizarre Freddie Mercury Racial Remark
    By Brentt Buchanan - Apr 15, 2019

Van Halen frontman David Lee Roth recently said that late Queen frontman Freddie Mercury sang ‘European non-black’ on the Joe Rogan Experience.

“I saw Freddie [Mercury] live at the L.A. Forum, I was probably in the 20th row when ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ had just come out. I saw him at his major, major prime there. Stagecraft is one thing, but what Freddie was and what he brought was way more than what you saw on stage. His sensibilities in terms of music weren’t just three chords and an attitude.

Freddie brought a whole wealth of listening to different kinds of music, whether it was orchestral, big band or bistro. He didn’t try to sing black, he sang European non-black. What we are very used to, even in the country. I had a very famous African American producer say to me, ‘do you know what it means to be a black man in the United States today?’ I said ‘every time I step up to a mic!’”
    So that counts as a bizarre racial remark about Freddie? Wow. So you are left wondering is it deliberate ignorance or not?

It turns out that Brentt Buchanan is the owner and editor in chief of Alternativenation so the buck stops with him.

I don't know how small or pointless niche his site is but it does seem to pop up on my feeds a hell of a lot. Hey we all have to make a living one way or another but the way to do this is surely not to write articles which are worse than an average average drunk YouTube comment?
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 04-15-2019 at 09:40 PM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (04-16-2019)

Thread Information