ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,337 Times in 6,024 Posts

Shitty rock journalism

I have to admit I don't read massive amounts of music journalism these days but I do try and keep a passing lookout for things Roth and CVH for the sake of this forum and with the recent mild upsurge in reporting of Dave with him doing some interviews I can't believe some of the garbage that passes these days. I get that some if not all of this shit is click bait but from supposedly 'proper' music sites I've been shocked at the shitty quality.

If I had time I would do it by category - stupid, ignorant, schoolboy errors and the ever pervasive 'fake irrelevant headline' but most are in this single abortion by some peabrain called Brett Buchanan.

If you are reading this Brentt don't dismiss this as fanboy defence of David Lee Roth as this is not a site that shrinks away from criticism.

Here is a typical bit of brilliant journalism from the the new Hunter S Thomson.
    https://www.alternativenation.net/sl...lvet-revolver/

Slash Reveals Disgusting Drug Use In Velvet Revolver

By Brett Buchanan - Apr 15, 2019

Guns N’ Roses guitarist Slash discussed using drugs during his days playing with the late Scott Weiland in Velvet Revolver in a new Belfast Live interview.

Slash revealed he struggled heavily with addiction “through the early millennium, up through 2005.”

He said, “Velvet Revolver started and just because of the nature of the band – and it’s my own fault – but within that context it was easy to do.”

“I got completely strung out again and at that point I realised there was nothing about being strung out that reminded me of anything like when I first started doing drugs. It was pretty miserable.”

“And then after that, with alcohol, nothing was doing it for me and I decided I had to stop.”

“I had two kids and I was living in a hotel because I couldn’t be around them.

“It all sort of came to a head and I thought I needed to go to some sort of facility and just get away from everybody for a month and I’ll clean up.”

“I really embraced it and I came out of it really happy and all that energy I was putting towards self-destruction I just put towards music.”

Slash went to rehab in 2006 and cleaned up for good. Dave Kushner is the only member of Velvet Revolver who was sober during the band’s 5 years together.

Slash 'reveals' drug use. Is this fucking new in 2019???? His autobiography came out over 10 years ago.

'Disgusting' - is that just some prurient line because there is nothing in this so called piece that merits the word? Wow the fucking Helen Lovejoy of music 'journalism' has spoken.

So a shitty pathetic pointless comment on an article/interview written by someone else.

I mention the above to put some context on this and his other recent articles like 'Greta Van Fleet Singer Hot Shirtless Photo Revealed' and 'Metallica Make Crazy Tom Cruise Revelation' - revelation being that they did a video for a song that was briefly in a Tom Cruise movie and it was windy. Read it, I'm not exaggerating.
    https://www.alternativenation.net/me...se-revelation/

So onto the new Steinbeck's David Lee Roth piece yesterday.
    https://www.alternativenation.net/va...racial-remark/

Van Halen Icon Makes Bizarre Freddie Mercury Racial Remark
    By Brentt Buchanan - Apr 15, 2019

Van Halen frontman David Lee Roth recently said that late Queen frontman Freddie Mercury sang ‘European non-black’ on the Joe Rogan Experience.

“I saw Freddie [Mercury] live at the L.A. Forum, I was probably in the 20th row when ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ had just come out. I saw him at his major, major prime there. Stagecraft is one thing, but what Freddie was and what he brought was way more than what you saw on stage. His sensibilities in terms of music weren’t just three chords and an attitude.

Freddie brought a whole wealth of listening to different kinds of music, whether it was orchestral, big band or bistro. He didn’t try to sing black, he sang European non-black. What we are very used to, even in the country. I had a very famous African American producer say to me, ‘do you know what it means to be a black man in the United States today?’ I said ‘every time I step up to a mic!’”
    So that counts as a bizarre racial remark about Freddie? Wow. So you are left wondering is it deliberate ignorance or not?

It turns out that Brentt Buchanan is the owner and editor in chief of Alternativenation so the buck stops with him.

I don't know how small or pointless niche his site is but it does seem to pop up on my feeds a hell of a lot. Hey we all have to make a living one way or another but the way to do this is surely not to write articles which are worse than an average average drunk YouTube comment?
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 04-15-2019 at 09:40 PM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (04-16-2019)

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:26 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Stupid, indeed. I remember that part in the radio broadcast when Dave evoked Mercury, a damn cool part btw, and heard nothing wrong.
    But then it's a matter of generations, we belong to that which would and still will call a cat, a cat. These days are all about stinking,dull right-thinkingness, and even some so called rock critics will lay shit in that spirit you are supposed to get in Knitting Magazine...
    And if such morons write and publish that kind of crap, it's because there's an audience that's waiting for it too.

We've known much, much better times, folks.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:11 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,078 Times in 1,996 Posts

Blog Entries
    Those are written by college graduates who spent 4 years and $80,000 on a useless degree... who are now whining about their debt and can't get a decent job to save their life...

Clearly Roth understands more about the inspiration and source of musical talent than the idiots writing about it...

5. 2 users say thank you to ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (04-16-2019),Nitro Express (04-17-2019)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:57 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,554 Times in 3,443 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    Those are written by college graduates who spent 4 years and $80,000 on a useless degree... who are now whining about their debt and can't get a decent job to save their life...

Clearly Roth understands more about the inspiration and source of musical talent than the idiots writing about it...
    My. What a fucking easy, pedestrian explanation for it all...

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:01 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,610 Posts

Like always, I see it as the internet giving every kook and amateur writer a soapbox. Us included

8. 2 users say thank you to twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

Terry (04-16-2019),ZahZoo (04-17-2019)

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-29-2021 @ 06:13 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    My. What a fucking easy, pedestrian explanation for it all...
    Well yeah,

That's rarely the case.

The type of people he's describing actually are indeed underemployed, but don't have the time to blog really.

The people that are actual blogging come from these weird WASPY/Upper class homes who have the gigs due to their economic status being able to dictate that or because of nepotism.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    Like always, I see it as the internet giving every kook and amateur writer a soapbox. Us included
    There have been a dozen other articles on Roth I've read in the last couple of weeks and almost all are to one degree or another inaccurate.

Makes you wonder how much crap you are reading about stuff you know less about...

11. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (04-16-2019)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,279 Times in 4,710 Posts

I used to have "alternative nation" in my news feed, but after about a dozen consecutive shitty worse than tabloid quality articles, I blocked them out. It's like the bastard love child of MelodiCrock & Weekly World News.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

That Metallica one is the worst - it's fucking ridiculous.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-17-2024 @ 01:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,481 Posts

Blog Entries
    Probably as close to the truth about it all as anything else.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Part of it is...there's just so much out there in terms of content. Too much.

And, at least for me, there's a limit to how many times I can read about certain subjects. Like, I don't need to hear anything else about Nikki Sixx's heroin overdose. Or Slash's drug use. Or how fucked up Aerosmith were before they cleaned up in the 1980s. Or...like, I used to enjoy Classic Rock magazine. Haven't been buying it regularly for several years now, but at one point it seemed like every other month they were running feature-length articles on how Bon Scott supposedly "really" died. And with the inbetween months they were running feature-length articles on what supposedly "really" happened to Jim Morrison in Paris.

I will say I did enjoy the Van Halen Rising and Monk books: at least I got some new info out of them, and they were reasonably well-written (particularly the Rising one).

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post

I will say I did enjoy the Van Halen Rising and Monk books: at least I got some new info out of them, and they were reasonably well-written (particularly the Rising one).
    They were both very good and I think 100 times more reliable than anything that could come from the band members themselves.

An example is at the time I really enjoyed the Crazy From The Heat autobiography - I lent out 2 copies of it to friends and haven't read it in a while but as I remember it opens with some crap about Dave being on his hands and knees cleaning the stage so he knows every inch of it before performing. This is less believable when you get older and find out he never even turns up for a 5 minute sound check...

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Part of it is...there's just so much out there in terms of content. Too much.

And, at least for me, there's a limit to how many times I can read about certain subjects. Like, I don't need to hear anything else about Nikki Sixx's heroin overdose. Or Slash's drug use. Or how fucked up Aerosmith were before they cleaned up in the 1980s. Or...like, I used to enjoy Classic Rock magazine. Haven't been buying it regularly for several years now, but at one point it seemed like every other month they were running feature-length articles on how Bon Scott supposedly "really" died. And with the inbetween months they were running feature-length articles on what supposedly "really" happened to Jim Morrison in Paris.
    That was the difference between reading Rolling Stone and Musician magazine in the 80's/early 90's. Musician was more about (gasp!) the music and less about the OD.

Too much content now, because there is too much space to fill. Everyone's gotta put their spin on the story, or show their personality quirk. Simply reporting isn't enough any more. It's more about the writer and less the story.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-11-2024 @ 11:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,990 Times in 3,229 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    They were both very good and I think 100 times more reliable than anything that could come from the band members themselves.

An example is at the time I really enjoyed the Crazy From The Heat autobiography - I lent out 2 copies of it to friends and haven't read it in a while but as I remember it opens with some crap about Dave being on his hands and knees cleaning the stage so he knows every inch of it before performing. This is less believable when you get older and find out he never even turns up for a 5 minute sound check...
    Haha! I remember someone was interviewing Alex and Ed and they brought up Dave's book and mentioned the part about Dave getting on his hands and knees and cleaning the stage and Alex just busted out laughing going,"Dave is full of shit! I never once saw him out cleaning the stage. Dave was usually off riding a skateboard or whatever obsession he was into at the moment."

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post

Haha! What is there to understand? You have young kids with talent who build up a following. They get the attention of a talent scout for a record label. These young dumb kids will sign anything so they sign a shitty contract and get a record deal and an advance. The record company is figuring these guys will last four years and they will take their pound of flesh out of them while the kids get drunk, laid and buy fast cars. Usually the kids will end up broke and forgotten but if they manage to last they finally figure out the record company was hiding from them what they were really bringing in and they were given a small percentage of the take and not only that the manager was ripping them off and not paying the income tax. If the kids are still famous enough to get a better manager and better lawyers they wiggle out of their former lousy contract grow up a little and move on. Hopefully they still can write and produce decent songs people want to hear and put on a show people want to see. If they don't crash and burn on drugs and alcohol they may be one of the very few who have a lifetime career doing this shit.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    So with the movie industry seeing that movies on rock bands and rock stars do well we will get more of those until we get sick of them. I think people are finally getting sick of the comic book super hero movies. So if VH were smart and wanted to make some more scratch they would come out with a movie. Dave would be all over that. So would Sammy. The Van Halen's who consider themselves musicians and not rock starts will hate the idea. Yeah Eddie can play and Alex can beat the drums but in reality, those two have to be the biggest party poopers on the planet. All they do is stay home and play music. Yeah that's how they got good but holy hell guys, let's have some goddammed fun for once.
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 04-17-2019 at 03:48 PM.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

There's no feel-good aspect to the Van Halen story. A movie would never work.

22. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

ZahZoo (04-19-2019)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Roth is just as full of (bull)shit as anybody else: he had/has some entertaining stories to tell, but I wouldn't say he is any more or less truthful than anybody else on the planet.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    That was the difference between reading Rolling Stone and Musician magazine in the 80's/early 90's. Musician was more about (gasp!) the music and less about the OD.

Too much content now, because there is too much space to fill. Everyone's gotta put their spin on the story, or show their personality quirk. Simply reporting isn't enough any more. It's more about the writer and less the story.
    Which, I mean, whatever one thinks about what Frank Zappa had to say about rock journalism (something along the lines of it being interviews of people who can't think, written by people who can't write and published for people who can't read), I will say I enjoyed reading Rolling Stone magazine in the 1980s. Spin magazine too, along with the odd issue of Musician magazine. Even Guitar Player magazine back in the 70s and 80s was a fairly serious periodical, then along came Guitar World, which I initially enjoyed but it eventually turned into the monthly kiss EVH's ass bit of pulp.

I get that tangible print mags sold in stores are a bit of an anachronism...maybe it's just that I'm not looking hard enough, but online all I seem to get are an infinite number of "best of" clickbait lists. To the point where I don't give a shit anymore. Same with podcasts: everybody and their fucking brother has one. I have neither the time nor - more importantly - the inclination to listen for 3 hours re: what Joe Rogan has to say about ANY given topic. Or listen to Eddie Trunk's daily thoughts on the entire UFO discography for the ten millionth time and why they were a criminally underappreciated band.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Roth is just as full of (bull)shit as anybody else: he had/has some entertaining stories to tell, but I wouldn't say he is any more or less truthful than anybody else on the planet.
    I'd say he is less truthful than a lot of people on the planet but a lot more truthful than the Van Halens and hugely more truthful than Hagar.

That's just a judgement call from 20 years on here...

On the significant stuff Roth has basically been honest over the years, I'm picking up more spin these days than there used to be and I don't know if that's him or me or just the long form interviews.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,279 Times in 4,710 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    So with the movie industry seeing that movies on rock bands and rock stars do well we will get more of those until we get sick of them. I think people are finally getting sick of the comic book super hero movies. So if VH were smart and wanted to make some more scratch they would come out with a movie. Dave would be all over that. So would Sammy. The Van Halen's who consider themselves musicians and not rock starts will hate the idea. Yeah Eddie can play and Alex can beat the drums but in reality, those two have to be the biggest party poopers on the planet. All they do is stay home and play music. Yeah that's how they got good but holy hell guys, let's have some goddammed fun for once.
    Bad movies are already on the way. Shortly after Bohemian Rhapsody did well at the Oscars, it was announced that a Sex Pistols biopic would be coming soon.

Except it's not really a Pistols biopic at all, since the story will be told from the point of view of Malcolm McLaren & his ex girlfriend Vivienne Westwood. And their version of the band's story is complete crap. The Pistols themselves have completely disowned any association with the project, so if such a movie is ever made at all, look for it to be even more inaccurate than "Sid & Nancy" was. And I won't even bother to stream the thing illegally online, much less pay to see it in a theater.

John Lydon has a brief statement regarding the film on his website....

You may have seen recent reports of a Sex Pistols biopic. For the avoidance of doubt this film would be unauthorised, unofficial, and not endorsed by Sex Pistols.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Most biopics are horrible especially music ones, the best ones are probably the least accurate about people you don't know much about...

28. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Jetstream (04-24-2019)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Most biopics are horrible especially music ones, the best ones are probably the least accurate about people you don't know much about...
    Good screenplays are hard to find period. The movie industry today runs on trends. The next big thing is perceived to be rock and roll movies. They will make a bunch of mediocre rock and roll movies and some will do well and others won’t.

Movies are tricky. There is only so much history you can cover and things are changed and embellished to make a movie the producers think will get a return on investment.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Which, I mean, whatever one thinks about what Frank Zappa had to say about rock journalism (something along the lines of it being interviews of people who can't think, written by people who can't write and published for people who can't read), I will say I enjoyed reading Rolling Stone magazine in the 1980s. Spin magazine too, along with the odd issue of Musician magazine. Even Guitar Player magazine back in the 70s and 80s was a fairly serious periodical, then along came Guitar World, which I initially enjoyed but it eventually turned into the monthly kiss EVH's ass bit of pulp.

I get that tangible print mags sold in stores are a bit of an anachronism...maybe it's just that I'm not looking hard enough, but online all I seem to get are an infinite number of "best of" clickbait lists. To the point where I don't give a shit anymore. Same with podcasts: everybody and their fucking brother has one. I have neither the time nor - more importantly - the inclination to listen for 3 hours re: what Joe Rogan has to say about ANY given topic. Or listen to Eddie Trunk's daily thoughts on the entire UFO discography for the ten millionth time and why they were a criminally underappreciated band.
    That’s ok. It’s only rock and roll and it’s not to be taken too seriously. It was about skipping school and driving 200 miles to see a show. A bad night was drinking too much and puking. A really bad night was ending up in jail. A good night was getting your nuts blown by some slut in a cheap motel after the show.

31. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (04-18-2019)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    You could make a pretty good movie on the early days of the band. I would cover the back yard party days through the club days to maybe where Ed get’s married. You could drag it out to the 1984 tour.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:11 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,078 Times in 1,996 Posts

Blog Entries
    Ain't that the truth... they missed the boat on a tragic ending and nobody wants to see a movie that ends with the core subject rusting away in someone's back yard.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

That stuff can all be spun, look at The Dirt which shows a post Corabi Crue triumphant career.

They could do the same with the 2007 reunion.

Gimme head till I'm dead
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    01-03-2021 @ 04:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Not unless it was an anger-management class exhibit film......

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-30-2022 @ 04:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Which is why a pseudo one like "This Is Spinal Tap" is great

Thread Information