Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Yeah, well, I didn't particularly want Ed's kid in the band, either.

It had a freak show element to it, particularly for the first Roth reunion tour, where the kid just looked totally out of place onstage.

But the kid being in the band is partly an extension of Ed's "fuck you" stance to the fans which he has taken to one degree or another since Hagar left in 1996, where what Ed wants comes first. I could sort of halfway understand it in 1996, when Ed decided in the end that he didn't want to do a nostalgia tour with Roth and opted to do an album and tour with Cherone. It wasn't what I wanted to see and hear, but Ed felt he needed to move forward. Now, why he couldn't have moved forward by just writing and recording a new album with Roth in 1997, I dunno, since Van Halen III ended up playing a set comprised half of CVH tunes anyway...

Fast-forward to 2007, and it's like, FINALLY Roth gets back together with the band. Ed being Ed, he can't go the extra step and get Anthony back in the band as well, and just flat out give us the CVH reunion we all want: his fuckin' kid has to be in the band, too. But that's where Ed's head has been at since 1996: as a fan of the band, you can either take it or leave it on Eddie's terms. Ed wants to play with his kid, thus his kid has to be in the band, and if you wanna see Ed and Roth play live Ed's kid in the band is part of the package.

As I said, first Roth reunion tour, the kid just looked weird/totally out of place even being there onstage. I couldn't even hear him at the show I saw well enough to even tell if he was playing decently or not. The 2012 show I saw, I could hear him better, and he sounded okay. Both shows, most of the time I forgot he was even onstage, because my attention was focused primarily on what Ed and Dave were doing.

Overall, the Roth reunion turned out to be just okay. Simply put, they all waited far too long to make it happen, frittered away too many years dicking around...it was about as good as one could have expected given their age and decades of self-abuse. However, one always gets the feeling it could have been a WHOLE lot better if they had done it in 1996.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• ZahZoo
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
      Maybe off-yourself if you're stuck making this kind of pig-shit...
      I have no idea what this means... What the hell are you trying to convey..?

Splain yourself, boy...
      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• ZahZoo
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Wolfgang's musical interests got Ed out of his death spiral... brought his Pops back into a good place musically.

That element facilitated the return of Diamond Dave and return of Van Halen, the band, back from obscurity. It resulted in a couple of good tours... an album, with some great music and about a decade of interesting life with my favorite band back in the mix...

Not all of it was perfect but when you net it out, there's far too many notable positives involving these guys than where things were trending back in 2006...

I hope thing don't end here... it's time for another chapter and some more music!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
          I have no idea what this means... What the hell are you trying to convey..?

Splain yourself, boy...
          I'm drunk and was hoping that the above mention musical geniuses might have offed themselves. But sadly sobriety brings news that they still are refusing to eat bullets...

Comment

• ZahZoo
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
            I'm drunk and was hoping that the above mention musical geniuses might have offed themselves. But sadly sobriety brings news that they still are refusing to eat bullets...
            Intoxication is really crappy foundation to build dreams and wishes on... Sobriety is almost always a spoiler...

Wish upon a star...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Intoxication is really crappy foundation to build dreams and wishes on... Sobriety is almost always a spoiler...

Wish upon a star...
              Who the fuck said I was trying to build dreams? Is this the fucking Jerry Lewis Telethon? In any case you're wrong! Alcohol increases creativity...

...though no one is saying drink it 24/7 here...

Comment

• ZahZoo
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I'm drunk and was hopinq...
                My apologies... I must of mistook your post as you speaking for yourself.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Wolfgang's musical interests got Ed out of his death spiral... brought his Pops back into a good place musically.

That element facilitated the return of Diamond Dave and return of Van Halen, the band, back from obscurity. It resulted in a couple of good tours... an album, with some great music and about a decade of interesting life with my favorite band back in the mix...

Not all of it was perfect but when you net it out, there's far too many notable positives involving these guys than where things were trending back in 2006...

I hope thing don't end here... it's time for another chapter and some more music!
                  Eddie earned his Kieth Richards Merrit badge. Not a easy badge to earn. Both Keef and Ed can still play well and between the both of them they have kept big tobacco in business.
                  No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Wish upon a star...

No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Terry
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

Can't argue that Ed appeared ready to keel over at any moment in the early to mid 2000s. Hearing how his ability had waned on that 2004 tour, and his general appearance...Ed genuinely enjoys playing with his kid, and without that it's hard to imagine the Roth reunion would have happened.

Overall an uneven reunion, but I'd still like to hear some new music from Ed and Dave. Can't say as I give a toss about another Greatest Hits tour at this point, but a new Van Halen album would be of interest.
                      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...