X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

How well can you hear audio quality?

A hi-def test for your ears (and your audio equipment): Listen to these songs and see if you can tell the difference between an MP3 and an uncompressed audio file.

This has been up for a while but I only just tried it.

The page allows you to test yourself/your headphones or speakers to see if you can distinguish between 128kbps mp3, 320kbps or uncompressed WAV.

This is kind of important given some services charge more for higher quality and the big size of the uncompressed files. The bootleg community get very excited about such things.

I took the test expecting to choose a mixture of 320 and uncompressed because I wouldn't be able to tell. Instead I was completely consistent all 6 times choosing 128kbps as the best one!!!!
  • twonabomber
    formerly F A T
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I picked WAV correctly for the last two samples. Wasn't listening real loud. PC to ancient Mackie 1202VLZ mixer to Yamaha HS7 monitors.

I can tell a low-quality MP3 when cymbals break up, a harsh sound and not a shimmer.

Picked 128kbps three times and 320 once. That was Coldplay, and I didn't make it through the whole sample.
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• private parts
      Sniper
      • Jan 2007

I was all over the place. Picked WAV once, 128k twice and 320 three times
      sigpic" You ever notice when I scream I sound like Mr. Bill on acid" DLR

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Nov 2004

In a few years, the thread title (posted in Non) will be "How well can you hear?"
        posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
        posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Nov 2004

How well can you still hear?
          posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
          posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Hardrock69
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Feb 2005

If you really want to hear a difference, though the site does not have this as a choice, record something at 24-bit, 96khz. Then encoded it as a 128 mp3, and listen to playback comparing the two. It is obvious.

Comment

• taylormick
              Roth Army Recruit
              • Jul 2019

I believe the generally accepted threshold for mp3 artifact audibility under normal listening conditions with quality listening equipment is under 192 kbps.

It's much lower with Opus, which is an amazing codec.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

The side effect of the power of Opus is it helps bands like Kiss lip sync more convincingly.

Comment

Working...