X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vinnie Velvet
    Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
    Sam pulls a string on Mike's shorts and looks for an opening and Sam's love comes walking in. It happened singing that damn song together back in the Van Hagar days and what can you say. Sam and Mike fell in love. Sam is the dominant faggot and he likes Mike to be the woman. A roll he's well practiced and suited for. Al and Ed might be fags but they aren't gay. Mike and Sam are faggots and gay.

That's all true yes. LOL
    =V V=
    ole No.1 The finest
    EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
      Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
      I agree, he does show some moments of faulty memory. For instance, some of what he said about VH's South American tour circa the Diver Down era doesn't jibe with the bootlegs and concert chronology...

I'm not sure what the fuck you are talking about here. I just paged through Ch. 18 of Monk's RWTD and he says nothing of the sort. What he does say is that he worked on Dave's "EP" and mentions "Crazy from the Heat" and (paraphrasing) "hating every song of it even while promoting the hell out of it". I didn't see him mention Eat 'Em and Smile at all, and he scantly touches on Dave's solo career and the Van Hagar era as for him this was the end. I do recall him mentioning being the in the same club as Dave while managing his forgotten follow-up band in the late 80's and Dave having his security asking Monk to leave and being a cunt, but not sure where that was in the book...
      Yes, Monk is referring to CFTH, not EEAS. By which time he was gone.
      =V V=
      ole No.1 The finest
      EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Baby's On Fire
        Veteran
        • May 2004

I agree, he does show some moments of faulty memory. For instance, some of what he said about VH's South American tour circa the Diver Down era doesn't jibe with the bootlegs and concert chronology...

I'm not sure what the fuck you are talking about here. I just paged through Ch. 18 of Monk's RWTD and he says nothing of the sort. What he does say is that he worked on Dave's "EP" and mentions "Crazy from the Heat" and (paraphrasing) "hating every song of it even while promoting the hell out of it". I didn't see him mention Eat 'Em and Smile at all, and he scantly touches on Dave's solo career and the Van Hagar era as for him this was the end. I do recall him mentioning being the in the same club as Dave while managing his forgotten follow-up band in the late 80's and Dave having his security asking Monk to leave and being a cunt, but not sure where that was in the book...
        He certainly did say it in the book. I'll look for it, but not right at the moment.

I read the book in one day, and that jumped right out at me and is why I don't trust anything the greedy little managr says.

He is bitter and I don't believe anything he says if there isn't any other existing evidence of it.

Comment

• Baby's On Fire
          Veteran
          • May 2004

Here you go. Dead center of of page 397 in the hardcopy book:

"The EP was followed by a solo album, and finally, in August, the news Van Halen fans already suspected was confirmed by Edward in an interview with Rolling Stone: David Lee Roth had left the band."

Verbatim. I can upload a photo of the paragraph if you doubt me.

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

If it says that then it's an error of course given 5150 came out months before EEAS, maybe it's been fixed between editions?

I only have the audiobook version and I'm not spending the time to try and find the quote.

Comment

• Baby's On Fire
              Veteran
              • May 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
              If it says that then it's an error of course given 5150 came out months before EEAS, maybe it's been fixed between editions?

I only have the audiobook version and I'm not spending the time to try and find the quote.

It does say that and it's exactly my point. Dave didn't even begin looking for a band until well after he quit. 5150 came out way before EAS.

If the manager doesn't know what he's talking about with such a milestone event, nothing else he says can be believed.

Not that whatever else he said is an intentional lie or even wrong, but how can he "recollect" who said what at what point in time, if he has such a false recollection of a milestone event a year and a half off from the actual timeline?

The whole "Michael Anthony was cut out of royalties" I do not believe at all. Mike was cut out in around 1991 when Ed LEffler passed. I don't like Sammy, but I believe him there.

Noel strikes me as bitter and greedy, but not without some justification to be so, to be sure. But he has an obvious bias and false recollection.

He is right that Alex was / is a miserable asshole and the real cause of the break up.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

All autobiographies and peoples memories are way less accurate than you would think. The only chance of an accurate one is where someone honestly publishes their diaries made at the time. I didn't get impression that Monk was any more bitter or greedy than anyone else and if he was then he would surely have cashed in way earlier when Van Halen were still big news. Also he says he has extensive notes and diaries which I really doubt the band members have. He wasn't managing Dave by the time of the 'milestone event' of EEAS so I don't see how if there is that error in his book that means the rest of it should be discounted.

Monk comes across as a fairly reliable witness, Hagar lies constantly.

I think you are confusing the Michael Antony royalties issue, this was the first time his royalties were cut, the second time was when the new deal with Warners was cut. To be honest I never really got the big issue with that - no one argues that Mike was writing songs so him no longer getting writing royalties doesn't seem insanely unfair to me.

Comment

• Baby's On Fire
                  Veteran
                  • May 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                  All autobiographies and peoples memories are way less accurate than you would think. The only chance of an accurate one is where someone honestly publishes their diaries made at the time. I didn't get impression that Monk was any more bitter or greedy than anyone else and if he was then he would surely have cashed in way earlier when Van Halen were still big news. Also he says he has extensive notes and diaries which I really doubt the band members have. He wasn't managing Dave by the time of the 'milestone event' of EEAS so I don't see how if there is that error in his book that means the rest of it should be discounted.

Monk comes across as a fairly reliable witness, Hagar lies constantly.

I think you are confusing the Michael Antony royalties issue, this was the first time his royalties were cut, the second time was when the new deal with Warners was cut. To be honest I never really got the big issue with that - no one argues that Mike was writing songs so him no longer getting writing royalties doesn't seem insanely unfair to me.

Noel said what he said. He is way off. He was the manager and can't get major events straight. If he can't get that straight, he is not credible, in general.

Don't make excuses for him. It isn't just a typo.

Anyway, who gives a fuck? I'm gonna get ready to hit the strip club.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Baby's On Fire
                    Noel said what he said. He is way off. He was the manager and can't get major events straight. If he can't get that straight, he is not credible, in general.
                    Okay. What did he say?

Cite the page number. I'm citing from Chapter 18. Where does he say that Dave was with EAS and released "Yankee Fucking Rose"!? You jackass!

Don't make excuses for him. It isn't just a typo.
                    Well I could could make excuses for you. Do you have a learning disability?

Anyway, who gives a fuck? I'm gonna get ready to hit the strip club.
                    Let's go!

As I said I agree that Noel has some faulty memories, this isn't one of those. It's very clear he stopped keeping up with the Van Halens after 1985...
                    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 06-28-2019, 08:39 PM.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Here you go. Dead center of of page 397 in the hardcopy book:

"The EP was followed by a solo album, and finally, in August, the news Van Halen fans already suspected was confirmed by Edward in an interview with Rolling Stone: David Lee Roth had left the band."

Verbatim. I can upload a photo of the paragraph if you doubt me.
                      Not saying you don't have a different edition, but my book only goes to pg. 342...

But even that is just true, Dave DID release a solo album after CFTH! But he fuckwell was done with Van Halen at that point (1986). So was Monk...

You're quoting the wrong book! Maybe Van Halen Rising? I lost my edition so can't say!
                      Last edited by Nickdfresh; 06-28-2019, 08:46 PM.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
                        Yes, Monk is referring to CFTH, not EEAS. By which time he was gone.
                        Exactly, and he's quite explicit about it because he worked on the fucking thing and promoted it for Dave despite thinking the actual content, if not idea, what shit...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

He certainly did say it in the book. I'll look for it, but not right at the moment.

I read the book in one day, and that jumped right out at me and is why I don't trust anything the greedy little managr says.

He is bitter and I don't believe anything he says if there isn't any other existing evidence of it.
                          He's talking about Crazy from the Heat you dolt!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

BTW, I'm not trying to be a dick even though I admit to being one, I just believe in being accurate. Monk has faults, but not knowing that Dave released EAS in 1986 ain't one of them...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

From Amazon:

Product details
                              Hardcover: 352 pages
                              Publisher: Dey Street Books; 1 edition (June 13, 2017)
                              Language: English
                              ISBN-10: 0062474103
                              ISBN-13: 978-0062474100
                              Product Dimensions: 6 x 1.1 x 9 inches
                              Shipping Weight: 1.1 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)

Comment

• Baby's On Fire
                                Veteran
                                • May 2004

He's talking about Crazy from the Heat you dolt!

No he's not you fucking idiot.

Were you born this stupid or did you have to work at it?

Jesus Christ you're a fucking moron. Read what I quoted.

Comment

Working...