THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-18-2024 @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Sammy loves Mike because Mike takes it up the ass. First from the Van Halen's and then from Sammy. Sammy likes nice guys who bend over and let love walk in.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Well, this assumes Mike is acting like he's a nice guy - creating said persona - rather than actually simply just being one.

I mean, I dunno. I suppose Mike could be a total prick in private.

I don't really find Anthony's nice guy persona annoying. More like baffling.

Even if one tends to think the only thing Anthony contributed to CVH was in the area of backing vocals, and that Anthony was merely lucky enough to have been in a band with Eddie Van Halen (the Lottery Winner theory) to begin with, far as I can tell Mike was loyal to the Van Halens for far longer than anybody else who has been in the band. For Anthony to get dumped the way he did, and remain publicly stoic about it, is just mystifying to me.

I don't even find Mike's association with Hagar to be particularly annoying. Mike and Hagar enjoy playing music together...okay. Nobody's forcing me to listen to what they do. There seems to be some who believe that if only Mike wasn't friends with Hagar, Ed wouldn't have chucked him out of the band. Rings false to me.

I don't think anybody's beyond criticism, but the instances of Mike Anthony being a nice guy and associating with Hagar aren't really things worthy of criticism. I mean, was Mike Anthony just supposed to publicly disavow Hagar and sit around waiting for Eddie to call him?
    Well when you align yourself with someone who publicly trashed Ed after the 2004 tour ended and then joins his band calling themselves "The Other Half of Van Halen" not to mention more Ed trashing in his book afterwards, what do you expect? So, in my opinion he's not without some criticism.

There are so many other artists Bassplayer could have hooked up with - but he decides to go with Sam.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Just don't flash any titties. I don't care if the kids see em. Gene will walk off the stage trying to get at em.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
    Well when you align yourself with someone who publicly trashed Ed after the 2004 tour ended and then joins his band calling themselves "The Other Half of Van Halen" not to mention more Ed trashing in his book afterwards, what do you expect? So, in my opinion he's not without some criticism.

There are so many other artists Bassplayer could have hooked up with - but he decides to go with Sam.
    Sam pulls a string on Mike's shorts and looks for an opening and Sam's love comes walking in. It happened singing that damn song together back in the Van Hagar days and what can you say. Sam and Mike fell in love. Sam is the dominant faggot and he likes Mike to be the woman. A roll he's well practiced and suited for. Al and Ed might be fags but they aren't gay. Mike and Sam are faggots and gay.

5. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Vinnie Velvet (06-28-2019)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,561 Times in 3,449 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baby's On Fire View Post
    I don't take anything Noel Monk says as necessarily true.
    I agree, he does show some moments of faulty memory. For instance, some of what he said about VH's South American tour circa the Diver Down era doesn't jibe with the bootlegs and concert chronology...

First off, at the end of the book, he claims Dave RELEASED EAS before leaving Van Halen and that was the final straw. The fucking manager doesn't even know the truth.

Secondly, he spends a lot of time defending himself about not having stolen from VH, even though nobody in VH ever publicly accused him of anything.

If he doesn't even remember Dave made EAS after VH released 5150, how can anyone take him seriously.

I'm surprised nobody caught Monk's total misrepresentation of when Dave released EAS.
    I'm not sure what the fuck you are talking about here. I just paged through Ch. 18 of Monk's RWTD and he says nothing of the sort. What he does say is that he worked on Dave's "EP" and mentions "Crazy from the Heat" and (paraphrasing) "hating every song of it even while promoting the hell out of it". I didn't see him mention Eat 'Em and Smile at all, and he scantly touches on Dave's solo career and the Van Hagar era as for him this was the end. I do recall him mentioning being the in the same club as Dave while managing his forgotten follow-up band in the late 80's and Dave having his security asking Monk to leave and being a cunt, but not sure where that was in the book...
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 06-27-2019 at 10:01 PM.

7. Thanked Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (06-28-2019)

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Sam pulls a string on Mike's shorts and looks for an opening and Sam's love comes walking in. It happened singing that damn song together back in the Van Hagar days and what can you say. Sam and Mike fell in love. Sam is the dominant faggot and he likes Mike to be the woman. A roll he's well practiced and suited for. Al and Ed might be fags but they aren't gay. Mike and Sam are faggots and gay.

That's all true yes. LOL

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    I agree, he does show some moments of faulty memory. For instance, some of what he said about VH's South American tour circa the Diver Down era doesn't jibe with the bootlegs and concert chronology...

I'm not sure what the fuck you are talking about here. I just paged through Ch. 18 of Monk's RWTD and he says nothing of the sort. What he does say is that he worked on Dave's "EP" and mentions "Crazy from the Heat" and (paraphrasing) "hating every song of it even while promoting the hell out of it". I didn't see him mention Eat 'Em and Smile at all, and he scantly touches on Dave's solo career and the Van Hagar era as for him this was the end. I do recall him mentioning being the in the same club as Dave while managing his forgotten follow-up band in the late 80's and Dave having his security asking Monk to leave and being a cunt, but not sure where that was in the book...
    Yes, Monk is referring to CFTH, not EEAS. By which time he was gone.

10. Thanked Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (06-28-2019)

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-07-2021 @ 07:51 PM
    Burlington, Ontario (Canada motherfucker!!)
    Status
    Thanks

He certainly did say it in the book. I'll look for it, but not right at the moment.

I read the book in one day, and that jumped right out at me and is why I don't trust anything the greedy little managr says.

He is bitter and I don't believe anything he says if there isn't any other existing evidence of it.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Here you go. Dead center of of page 397 in the hardcopy book:

"The EP was followed by a solo album, and finally, in August, the news Van Halen fans already suspected was confirmed by Edward in an interview with Rolling Stone: David Lee Roth had left the band."

Verbatim. I can upload a photo of the paragraph if you doubt me.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

If it says that then it's an error of course given 5150 came out months before EEAS, maybe it's been fixed between editions?

I only have the audiobook version and I'm not spending the time to try and find the quote.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    If it says that then it's an error of course given 5150 came out months before EEAS, maybe it's been fixed between editions?

I only have the audiobook version and I'm not spending the time to try and find the quote.

It does say that and it's exactly my point. Dave didn't even begin looking for a band until well after he quit. 5150 came out way before EAS.

If the manager doesn't know what he's talking about with such a milestone event, nothing else he says can be believed.

Not that whatever else he said is an intentional lie or even wrong, but how can he "recollect" who said what at what point in time, if he has such a false recollection of a milestone event a year and a half off from the actual timeline?

The whole "Michael Anthony was cut out of royalties" I do not believe at all. Mike was cut out in around 1991 when Ed LEffler passed. I don't like Sammy, but I believe him there.

Noel strikes me as bitter and greedy, but not without some justification to be so, to be sure. But he has an obvious bias and false recollection.

He is right that Alex was / is a miserable asshole and the real cause of the break up.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

All autobiographies and peoples memories are way less accurate than you would think. The only chance of an accurate one is where someone honestly publishes their diaries made at the time. I didn't get impression that Monk was any more bitter or greedy than anyone else and if he was then he would surely have cashed in way earlier when Van Halen were still big news. Also he says he has extensive notes and diaries which I really doubt the band members have. He wasn't managing Dave by the time of the 'milestone event' of EEAS so I don't see how if there is that error in his book that means the rest of it should be discounted.

Monk comes across as a fairly reliable witness, Hagar lies constantly.

I think you are confusing the Michael Antony royalties issue, this was the first time his royalties were cut, the second time was when the new deal with Warners was cut. To be honest I never really got the big issue with that - no one argues that Mike was writing songs so him no longer getting writing royalties doesn't seem insanely unfair to me.

16. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (06-29-2019)

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

All autobiographies and peoples memories are way less accurate than you would think. The only chance of an accurate one is where someone honestly publishes their diaries made at the time. I didn't get impression that Monk was any more bitter or greedy than anyone else and if he was then he would surely have cashed in way earlier when Van Halen were still big news. Also he says he has extensive notes and diaries which I really doubt the band members have. He wasn't managing Dave by the time of the 'milestone event' of EEAS so I don't see how if there is that error in his book that means the rest of it should be discounted.

Monk comes across as a fairly reliable witness, Hagar lies constantly.

I think you are confusing the Michael Antony royalties issue, this was the first time his royalties were cut, the second time was when the new deal with Warners was cut. To be honest I never really got the big issue with that - no one argues that Mike was writing songs so him no longer getting writing royalties doesn't seem insanely unfair to me.

Noel said what he said. He is way off. He was the manager and can't get major events straight. If he can't get that straight, he is not credible, in general.

Don't make excuses for him. It isn't just a typo.

Anyway, who gives a fuck? I'm gonna get ready to hit the strip club.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Noel said what he said. He is way off. He was the manager and can't get major events straight. If he can't get that straight, he is not credible, in general.
    Okay. What did he say?

Cite the page number. I'm citing from Chapter 18. Where does he say that Dave was with EAS and released "Yankee Fucking Rose"!? You jackass!

Well I could could make excuses for you. Do you have a learning disability?

Let's go!

As I said I agree that Noel has some faulty memories, this isn't one of those. It's very clear he stopped keeping up with the Van Halens after 1985...
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 06-28-2019 at 08:39 PM.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Here you go. Dead center of of page 397 in the hardcopy book:

"The EP was followed by a solo album, and finally, in August, the news Van Halen fans already suspected was confirmed by Edward in an interview with Rolling Stone: David Lee Roth had left the band."

Verbatim. I can upload a photo of the paragraph if you doubt me.
    Not saying you don't have a different edition, but my book only goes to pg. 342...

But even that is just true, Dave DID release a solo album after CFTH! But he fuckwell was done with Van Halen at that point (1986). So was Monk...

You're quoting the wrong book! Maybe Van Halen Rising? I lost my edition so can't say!
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 06-28-2019 at 08:46 PM.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
    Yes, Monk is referring to CFTH, not EEAS. By which time he was gone.
    Exactly, and he's quite explicit about it because he worked on the fucking thing and promoted it for Dave despite thinking the actual content, if not idea, what shit...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

He certainly did say it in the book. I'll look for it, but not right at the moment.

I read the book in one day, and that jumped right out at me and is why I don't trust anything the greedy little managr says.

He is bitter and I don't believe anything he says if there isn't any other existing evidence of it.
    He's talking about Crazy from the Heat you dolt!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

BTW, I'm not trying to be a dick even though I admit to being one, I just believe in being accurate. Monk has faults, but not knowing that Dave released EAS in 1986 ain't one of them...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

From Amazon:

Product details
    Hardcover: 352 pages
    Publisher: Dey Street Books; 1 edition (June 13, 2017)
    Language: English
    ISBN-10: 0062474103
    ISBN-13: 978-0062474100
    Product Dimensions: 6 x 1.1 x 9 inches
    Shipping Weight: 1.1 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

He's talking about Crazy from the Heat you dolt!

No he's not you fucking idiot.

Were you born this stupid or did you have to work at it?

Jesus Christ you're a fucking moron. Read what I quoted.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

No he's not you fucking idiot.
    Yeah, sure moron...

Were you born this stupid or did you have to work at it?
    Actually born a genius but have worked hard at stupid all my life!

Jesus Christ you're a fucking moron. Read what I quoted.
    Sure, can you quote the right fucking book? you retard!

Page 397? Scan that shit!!

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    I'm looking at it from a business perspective. But yeah as far as a quality family life and being happy Mike has em all beat. Absolutely.
    That right there... sums up the ultimate qualities in life that I can appreciate and admire.

From a business perspective, Mike invested wisely, owned businesses he had a passion for and succeeded in that realm too. Not a bazillionare, but successful, none the less.

The only thing Roth and the Van Halen brothers scored more of compared to Mike... regrets, isolation, bitterness and wasted decades of productive life. Pure losers in my book...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Not saying you don't have a different edition, but my book only goes to pg. 342...
    He may have the popup version...

28. 2 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (06-29-2019),Nickdfresh (06-29-2019)

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 08:29 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I would blame the cocaine. Or the booze. Or the fact that none of them, including Noel, knew any of this crap would be recorded for posterity (although curiously, he did claim to have kept a diary of his time tour managing the Sex Pistols, which he later published).

Having personally tried to reconcile numerous events from the lives of more than one rock musician with the actual facts, it seems to me that they are, more often than not, pretty inaccurate in their own recollection of events they were personally involved in. Certainly with respect to times and dates.

Monk was probably partaking of the pleasures of the rock'n'roll life as much as the band. But, book publishers like to make the public think they are providing them with the truth, the real story (while not actually employing anyone like a fact-checker, especially now that they operate on tighter budgets).

And, add to that the fact that researching pre-internet events that, in the bigger picture, are probably not seen as that important (i.e., album release dates) is time intensive and can take a bit of work. The information is not always - or even mostly - going to be found and verified with easily available online sources.

Anyway, chronologically, I think that things are apt to become confused with this period in the Van Halen story.

It possibly begins with the fact that they released an album titled '1984' that was recorded between Spring and Fall 1983. It was mastered and ready for release by October '83, but held for release until the turn of the new year. Then, after Van Halen's 1984 US tour concluded, Dave recorded CFTH, which was completed by late summer '84.

Then ... and maybe this is where Noel is confused by events ... before Dave put together the band that recorded EEAS, he was already working on the soundtrack to the film that never was, 'Crazy From the Heat', to the extent that he was working with Nile Rodgers on it. I don't know if anything was recorded, but Rodgers was either writing songs / music for it, or was on board to do that, and this all was before the split with VH.

Beers!

30. Thanked VHscraps for this KICKASS post:

Seshmeister (06-30-2019)

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-21-2021 @ 06:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks

It has been said in the VH documentary that Dave was secretly working with another band while they tried to work on the follow up to 1984. He was accused of provoking arguments, so that he could leave the scenery and work with the other guys.

Whatever. I think, Monk's book is the closest to the truth story we can get.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

He may have the popup version...
    Or the coloring book:

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VHscraps View Post
    I would blame the cocaine. Or the booze....
    I get the feeling Noel partaked in all that, but probably a lot less than the band did...

...Then ... and maybe this is where Noel is confused by events ... before Dave put together the band that recorded EEAS, he was already working on the soundtrack to the film that never was, 'Crazy From the Heat', to the extent that he was working with Nile Rodgers on it. I don't know if anything was recorded, but Rodgers was either writing songs / music for it, or was on board to do that, and this all was before the split with VH.

Beers!
    Noel clearly never mentions EEAS...

34. Thanked Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (06-30-2019)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Doubtless it's possible Monk misstated a few details trying to reconstruct from memories thirty + years ago.

I think VHscaps makes a lot of valid points regarding what can often just be put down to sloppy editing and fact-checking/research in terms of factual discrepancies. None of which necessarily invalidates the essence of what Monk said: the formula of "Monk misstated one fact thus everything else he said is immediately suspect" seems a bit over the top.

Like Nickd, I too get the feeling that Monk did some partying during his days managing the band - who wouldn't - but tend to doubt he was fucked up to the point where he couldn't function therefore is unreliable as a source of information.

I mean, doubtless if you had extensive interviews with the members of CVH about the CVH period and instances Monk addressed, you would obviously come away with multiple takes or impressions about what went on. After so much time has passed, people forget things, or remember things differently from how they may have happened...sometimes in both minor and major ways.

While Monk may have gotten a few facts wrong here and there, I don't get the sense that Monk was inventing stories from whole cloth, as it were. His account comes across as truthful.

36. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (06-30-2019)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VHscraps View Post
    Then ... and maybe this is where Noel is confused by events ... before Dave put together the band that recorded EEAS, he was already working on the soundtrack to the film that never was, 'Crazy From the Heat', to the extent that he was working with Nile Rodgers on it. I don't know if anything was recorded, but Rodgers was either writing songs / music for it, or was on board to do that, and this all was before the split with VH.

Was Goin Crazy not written for the movie? That may be a false memory on my part but it does seem to fit the script but Vai has a writing credit so maybe not?

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I forgot to wish Sam and Mike a happy Pride Day. I'm sure they enjoyed themselves covered in rainbow color glitter and oil and probably had a Tinky Winky doll on the bed just for ambience. When Mike cried and told Sam not to pump so hard fast, Sam just said I can't drive 55.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Was Goin Crazy not written for the movie? That may be a false memory on my part but it does seem to fit the script but Vai has a writing credit so maybe not?
    Actually much of what became EEAS was supposed to be for Dave's movie.

Not necessarily the music - because Dave didn't assemble the EEAS band until much later (as he was still in VH). But the themes, lyrical content and some melodies, yes.

Thread Information