ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Dave on WTF

Dave is on the latest Marc Maron WTF Podcast, one of the biggest podcasts in the world, everyone from Paul McCartney, the Stones to Obama has been on it.

It's a really good interview, new stories about the old days and Maron manages to just about stop Dave going into total full stream of consciousness ramble mode. He talks about some stuff he usually ducks about the relationship with the Van Halen brothers which is just as bad as we all thought.

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episod...david-lee-roth

You only need to hear David Lee Roth talk for a few seconds to understand why he is the consummate rock and roll frontman. Diamond Dave takes Marc on a stream of consciousness ride through his past, present, future and whatever else he’s thinking about in the moment. They talk about David’s love of Big Band music, jazz guitar, his Uncle Manny, working as an EMT in the Bronx, and his serendipitous pairing with the Van Halen brothers that created musical perfection and nonstop personal animosity. This episode is sponsored by Present Company with Krista Smith, SimpliSafe, and Stamps.com.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. 3 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

BumBahDeeDah (08-18-2019),degüello (08-16-2019),Grit (07-11-2019)

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-21-2021 @ 06:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Dave is on the latest Marc Maron WTF Podcast, one of the biggest podcasts in the world, everyone from Paul McCartney, the Stones to Obama has been on it.

It's a really good interview, new stories about the old days and Maron manages to just about stop Dave going into total full stream of consciousness ramble mode. He talks about some stuff he usually ducks about the relationship with the Van Halen brothers which is just as bad as we all thought.

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episod...david-lee-roth
    Yeah, some nuggets in the usual schtick!

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 3,449 Posts

Van Halen In Concert - Chula Vista, CA
    Van Halen front man David Lee Roth says his relationship with the band's two namesakes, Alex and Eddie Van Halen, has never been smooth.

Roth says, despite their similar upbringings, he and the Van Halens have always fought when they were together. For some reason, the friction didn't stop them from forming a band, playing hundreds of shows and releasing six hit albums.

Diamond Dave tells WTF with Marc Maron that his fit in Van Halen, musically speaking, has always been a perfect one. But he's not about to take anyone named Van Halen out to dinner. Maron asked him specifically.

"Can you sit down with the fellas and have dinner and stuff?" Maron queried.

"Nope. Nope. Not even close," Roth replied. "This is not a golf club. This is a little closer to The Wild Bunch, right? There is a fury and an antagonism and what comes out of that, when it's good, oh man, that's retina-bursting. That'll change your f---ing haircut."

Van Halen hasn't toured since 2015, and while Roth says his last run with the band amounted to some of the "best shows" they had ever done together, the arguments backstage were never-ending.

"We were at each other all throughout the tour," Roth explained. "You've got to be mature enough to understand."

The most common refrain during intra-Van Halen fighting is "What the f--k are you thinking?" Roth adds. "And it's constant. And then you assign yourself to the producer who will either take Eddie's side or my side; you're either a Dave guy or an Eddie guy. You're all mature enough to understand that we're all pirates here. Of course you're gonna betray me."

Roth doesn't seem to take the arguments with him when he's not in Van Halen land; he says it's just part of being in a rock band.

While he didn't address why Van Halen isn't on tour this summer, he confirmed that there were plans for him to meet with the band in the weeks following the interview.

LINK

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-18-2024 @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

double post

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Not that this is big news - we've always known Dave and the Van Halens never got along. The arrangement since 2006 has been purely business - as it should be. You think Keith likes Mick now after all these years? No he doesn't. But that doesn't mean they don't stop performing as the Stones.

The only thing I've found interesting is that every other musician that has worked with Dave since the original CVH breakup are still good friends with him - like Vai, Sheehan, Bissonette, John 5, etc.

Which boils down to this - and another thing we've always known - Ed and Al are assholes. LOL

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    08-25-2020 @ 11:28 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Diamond Dave is CLASSIC always!

Damn, just listened to the entire Podcast. That was a great interview. One of the best with Dave I've ever heard. The man is so intelligent, those are always the ones that are misunderstood the most!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
    Not that this is big news - we've always known Dave and the Van Halens never got along. The arrangement since 2006 has been purely business
    Which one has basically suspected since 2006. Particularly in light of comments from both Ed and Dave in post-2007 interviews ("Dave doesn't want to be my friend" and other asides indicating they don't spend any time together if they're not working and spend as little time offstage together when they are touring as possible). Doubtless tying into the longstanding fact that they never really got along well, personality-wise.

Ed and Al have certainly made a lot of asshole moves, particularly over the last 25 years. To be fair, though, Roth comes across as more than a bit bizarre: there's only so much I can take watching the latest round of recent interviews he gave, so I can't imagine what it'd be like to be in a band with the guy or being around him day in and day out. My sense is that the novelty of that would wear off quicker than one would think, and perhaps that was true even 40+ years ago.

9. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

BumBahDeeDah (08-18-2019)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

The only thing I've found interesting is that every other musician that has worked with Dave since the original CVH breakup are still good friends with him - like Vai, Sheehan, Bissonette, John 5, etc.

Which boils down to this - and another thing we've always known - Ed and Al are assholes. LOL
    Maybe but it's only with the Van Halens that he has to work as an equal.

11. 2 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

degüello (06-24-2021),Terry (07-12-2019)

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yes, that's true.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Which one has basically suspected since 2006. Particularly in light of comments from both Ed and Dave in post-2007 interviews ("Dave doesn't want to be my friend" and other asides indicating they don't spend any time together if they're not working and spend as little time offstage together when they are touring as possible). Doubtless tying into the longstanding fact that they never really got along well, personality-wise.

Ed and Al have certainly made a lot of asshole moves, particularly over the last 25 years. To be fair, though, Roth comes across as more than a bit bizarre: there's only so much I can take watching the latest round of recent interviews he gave, so I can't imagine what it'd be like to be in a band with the guy or being around him day in and day out. My sense is that the novelty of that would wear off quicker than one would think, and perhaps that was true even 40+ years ago.
    I agree.

Which brings me to Azoff. I give him full credit for keeping these dysfunctional fucks together as long as they have - even coming out with a full length album as well.

Which is what CVH needed desperately in 1985. I think if they had a strong, influential top notch manager they could have been held together longer. Monk did what he could but I don't think he was the right manager to keep these personalities together.

There are many other bands over time that were on the verge of breaking up but didn't cause they had strong management that kept them focused on the common goal, etc.

14. Thanked Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

degüello (06-24-2021)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I agree.

Which brings me to Azoff. I give him full credit for keeping these dysfunctional fucks together as long as they have - even coming out with a full length album as well.

Which is what CVH needed desperately in 1985. I think if they had a strong, influential top notch manager they could have been held together longer. Monk did what he could but I don't think he was the right manager to keep these personalities together.

There are many other bands over time that were on the verge of breaking up but didn't cause they had strong management that kept them focused on the common goal, etc.
    By the time 2006 rolled around, perhaps a combination of Wolfgang pushing for a Roth reunion, the Van Halens realizing that if they wanted to tour again the only realistic choice was Roth (rather than a 4th singer) and Azoff being tuned into the reality that in 2007 promoters weren't going to shell out big guarantees like they did in 2004 unless Ed was demonstrably sober. I wouldn't give Azoff too much credit, recalling the Azoff-helmed 2003/2004 Van Hagar disaster, but at least Azoff seemed to learn from that.

I think, far as 1985 goes, that Van Halen needed a break. Clearly, this is all said with the benefit of hindsight, but I think Roth and the Van Halens were just plain burnt on dealing with each other. Far back as Fair Warning, Ed was beginning to tire of dealing with Roth, and was becoming more and more unhappy with each subsequent album and tour.

And even a break might not have done much more than postpone the split, especially when considering that Roth and Ed were starting to fray in terms of the musical direction by the time Diver Down came about: it was one thing not getting along when they all had unity of purpose musically. Once THAT common denominator was starting to fray, doubtless the personality clashes just became that much more pronounced. Ed was probably like "fuck, I don't even like Roth, and now I gotta do cover tunes like Dancing In The Streets?" Roth was probably like "shit, what is all this synthesizer nonsense, and why the fuck are we recording in Eddie's home studio?" That combination of musical and lifestyle differences - along with the ego explosions of their massive success - wasn't something any manager was going to be able to paper over once Roth and Eddie could no longer stand the sight of each other and weren't even enjoying making music together...like, by the time 1984 rolled around, just the act of making an album and touring it and having to be in the same room or on the same stage together was just too difficult for both Roth and Eddie. Throw in all the booze and coke on top of that, CVH was just done.

Honestly, and I've said this more than once, it wasn't so much a shock that CVH split in 1985 as it was that they managed to stay together THAT long to begin with.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    That kinda goes both ways... the Van Halens he "has" to work with... today.

The friendly relationships with Vai, Sheehan, Bissonette, John 5, etc. may be more a reflection of the fact they "don't" have to work with Roth... today.

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:10 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Getting ready for a tour doesn't take the same efforts for Dave as it does for Ed and Al. Given what he (Dave) delivered in 2015, vocally, compared with how they played...
    Just a thought.

18. Thanked Jérôme Frenchise for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-14-2019)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think, far as 1985 goes, that Van Halen needed a break. Clearly, this is all said with the benefit of hindsight, but I think Roth and the Van Halens were just plain burnt on dealing with each other. Far back as Fair Warning, Ed was beginning to tire of dealing with Roth, and was becoming more and more unhappy with each subsequent album and tour.
    This is true and I've said it before. But remember, Diver Down was an unplanned pregnancy. The band and their management never meant to make a record and wanted to go on an extended vacation/break from each other after four grueling album tours and the preceding constant playing on their rise to get noticed. The "(Oh) Pretty Woman" cover was meant to be a one-off place holder single to keep the public attention until they reconvened some months later after the Fair Warning Tour.

But out of Warner Bros.' (and probably their) greed, they were marched back into the studio as the song became a hit and pushed to do another album and subsequent tour instead of some time off. I think this pressure cooker environment and everyone's basic greed to capitalize on everything now had as much to do with the band's downfall as anything. At the very least it exacerbated the conflicts and the addictions that spiraled into bad decision-making...

20. 2 users say thank you to Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (07-15-2019),Terry (07-14-2019)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Thing of it is...for me, yes, to be sure Dave always gave witty interviews. Spectacular frontman in terms of the onstage karate moves and being "the toastmaster of the immoral majority" and a colorful personality.

Ultimately, though, while all of those aspects mentioned above were part of the package, the essence of it for me as a fan has always been the music.

And the last twenty years haven't seen much by way of actual music from Dave. What have we got since 1999? Bar-B-Que, which had some odd images, also had some good musical stuff on it. Diamond Dave CD...mmm, not so much on it that I connected with (really only one or two tracks to be honest). Van Strumming? Pass. ADKOT was fair to good. Tokyo Dome isn't something I'm ever going to want to hear again.

This is probably why the recent tattoo wax interview series just isn't much of interest to me: let's hear some music from Dave. Even if it's just old unreleased solo material.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-07-2021 @ 07:51 PM
    Burlington, Ontario (Canada motherfucker!!)
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    This is true and I've said it before. But remember, Diver Down was an unplanned pregnancy. The band and their management never meant to make a record and wanted to go on an extended vacation/break from each other after four grueling album tours and the preceding constant playing on their rise to get noticed. The "(Oh) Pretty Woman" cover was meant to be a one-off place holder single to keep the public attention until they reconvened some months later after the Fair Warning Tour.

But out of Warner Bros.' (and probably their) greed, they were marched back into the studio as the song became a hit and pushed to do another album and subsequent tour instead of some time off. I think this pressure cooker environment and everyone's basic greed to capitalize on everything now had as much to do with the band's downfall as anything. At the very least it exacerbated the conflicts and the addictions that spiraled into bad decision-making...
    The band did not want to do the album at that time at all. They were forced by WB and given 2 weeks.

Eddie is as usual a liar. When you listen to the old 1982 interviews, he was proud of the album. It was only after Dave quit that they (Ed, Al and Mike) tried to blame Dave and Ted for Diver Down.

It was not Dave's idea to do a lot of covers. It was only his idea to do a one-off cover, and it was actually Edweird that chose Pretty Woman (easily the worst song in the entire VH catalogue. It's a total piece of shit of a song).

Go back and listen to the 1982 interviews.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

I never thought at the time that Diver Down was as terrible as Ed claims he thought.

Cathedral/Secrets is great.

Little Guitars (intro)/ Little Guitars is great.

Hang 'Em High rocks.

The Full Bug rocks.

The rest are either novelties or sort of non-essential Van Halenized covers, and the album is in those spots a bit weaker than the albums that came before, but the best stuff I mentioned cooks right up there with the albums that came before.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I never thought at the time that Diver Down was as terrible as Ed claims he thought.

Cathedral/Secrets is great.

Little Guitars (intro)/ Little Guitars is great.

Hang 'Em High rocks.

The Full Bug rocks.

The rest are either novelties or sort of non-essential Van Halenized covers, and the album is in those spots a bit weaker than the albums that came before, but the best stuff I mentioned cooks right up there with the albums that came before.
    Well, Ed came out with VHIII, so who the fuck really cares what this autistic cunt really deems artistically worthy?

How many bags of fuck say aye?

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jérôme Frenchise View Post
    Getting ready for a tour doesn't take the same efforts for Dave as it does for Ed and Al. Given what he (Dave) delivered in 2015, vocally, compared with how they played...
    Just a thought.
    Ed and Al play everyday together. They are studio rats. So yeah unless Ed is fucked up on drugs like he was in 2004 he still can play. You can still rock and be an old fuck. Kieth Richards has proven this.

The problem with Dave is he was a very high energy frontman. He’s old with some back problems and he’s smoked too many cigarettes and joints. He can’t do it anymore. Granted he”s in great shape for what he is but Mick Jager can pull it off still and with Dave something is just amiss. I think if you saw VH in the old days we still expect that and seeing Dave tying real hard but it ain’t there is a bit disappointing.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Baby's On Fire View Post
    The band did not want to do the album at that time at all. They were forced by WB and given 2 weeks.

Eddie is as usual a liar. When you listen to the old 1982 interviews, he was proud of the album. It was only after Dave quit that they (Ed, Al and Mike) tried to blame Dave and Ted for

It was not Dave's idea to do a lot of covers. It was only his idea to do a one-off cover, and it was actually Edweird that chose Pretty Woman (easily the worst song in the entire VH catalogue. It's a total piece of shit of a song).

Go back and listen to the 1982 interviews.
    A drug addict a liar? Come on. Say it ain’t so!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Thing of it is...for me, yes, to be sure Dave always gave witty interviews. Spectacular frontman in terms of the onstage karate moves and being "the toastmaster of the immoral majority" and a colorful personality.

Ultimately, though, while all of those aspects mentioned above were part of the package, the essence of it for me as a fan has always been the music.

And the last twenty years haven't seen much by way of actual music from Dave. What have we got since 1999? Bar-B-Que, which had some odd images, also had some good musical stuff on it. Diamond Dave CD...mmm, not so much on it that I connected with (really only one or two tracks to be honest). Van Strumming? Pass. ADKOT was fair to good. Tokyo Dome isn't something I'm ever going to want to hear again.

This is probably why the recent tattoo wax interview series just isn't much of interest to me: let's hear some music from Dave. Even if it's just old unreleased solo material.
    Ha! Ha! Without a record label to keep a leash on Dave I don’t think the man can stay focused on anything for very long. Dave lives like a rich trust fund kid. Doesn’t have to mak a living so he dabbles in weirdness to cure his boredom.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Ed and Al play everyday together. They are studio rats. So yeah unless Ed is fucked up on drugs like he was in 2004 he still can play. You can still rock and be an old fuck. Kieth Richards has proven this.

The problem with Dave is he was a very high energy frontman. He’s old with some back problems and he’s smoked too many cigarettes and joints. He can’t do it anymore. Granted he”s in great shape for what he is but Mick Jager can pull it off still and with Dave something is just amiss. I think if you saw VH in the old days we still expect that and seeing Dave tying real hard but it ain’t there is a bit disappointing.
    I think folks are a little too hard on Dave to expect to have him sing like he did in 1984 or even 1991.

He can still pull off a good performance like was doing in 2007. I believe he can - as long as he stays within his normal range/register. The problems occur when he wants to hit those higher screams or notes - and it doesn't sound right. And comes across as yelling.

As evidenced from the recent song sample of the unreleased John 5 album, Dave can truly still sing very well. Again, unlike his contemporaries like Ozzy or Paul Stanley - the latter who's voice is truly shot.

Charcoal Mellowed
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Status
    Thanks

[QUOTE=Nitro Express;1940239]
    The problem with Dave is he was a very high energy frontman. He’s old with some back problems and he’s smoked too many cigarettes and joints. He can’t do it anymore. Granted he”s in great shape for what he is but Mick Jager can pull it off still and with Dave something is just amiss. /QUOTE]

You might be onto something here. Mick today is the same as Mick 10/20/30 years ago.
    He's doing his twitchy little scarecrow thing and it works cause that's all he's got (besides
    his voice) and he's perfected it. Go with what you know & keep it simple.

Dave on the other hand was the ultimate frontman and perhaps that kinda stuff doesn't
    translate well when he's/you're into your 50/60s. The crowd might want/expect his old
    rap/stories but that shit is so dated and there is really nothing "new" he could replace
    it with to satisfy the masses.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I agree with much of this, and that ties into what silverfish was saying in that the stuff Roth was doing while he was in his 20s and 30s onstage just isn't translating well now that he is in his 60s. Probably in no small part because Dave just can't execute the physicality of his heyday live anymore: Dave just got old. Although having seen Roth semi-frequently live including and since 1999, that decrease of mobility has been gradual enough to where I was able to accept it. I'd be fine with him jettisoning his onstage patter/raps inbetween tunes. He basically did that in 2007/2008, saving it all up for Dave's Storytime during the Ice Cream Man intro and it was much more effective than had he been doing it all night long prior.

In the end, it comes down to what Vinnie Velvet said (and is a point I'm probably guilty of repeating too often), in that all Dave really needs to do is approach the vocals the way he did on the 2007/2008 tour and it'll sound good. Just sing the tunes rather than yelling them (which is a habit he lapses into along the lines of what Nitro was saying in that he mixes shit up because he's possibly bored singing the stuff).

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

...in that all Dave really needs to do is approach the vocals the way he did on the 2007/2008 tour and it'll sound good. Just sing the tunes rather than yelling them (which is a habit he lapses into along the lines of what Nitro was saying in that he mixes shit up because he's possibly bored singing the stuff).
    I wonder if this has something to do with Dave's hearing maybe going, and not reading the monitors well?

How did I get here?
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2022 @ 10:16 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally fucking posted by, Seshmeister
    Dave is on the latest Marc Maron WTF Podcast...

sPrEAd diS aLL OVA da taBLE../!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I wonder if this has something to do with Dave's hearing maybe going, and not reading the monitors well?
    Maybe, but that doesn't seem like it explains his choice to yell rather than sing.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I think folks are a little too hard on Dave to expect to have him sing like he did in 1984 or even 1991.

He can still pull off a good performance like was doing in 2007. I believe he can - as long as he stays within his normal range/register. The problems occur when he wants to hit those higher screams or notes - and it doesn't sound right. And comes across as yelling.

As evidenced from the recent song sample of the unreleased John 5 album, Dave can truly still sing very well. Again, unlike his contemporaries like Ozzy or Paul Stanley - the latter who's voice is truly shot.
    The problem is Dave did an extremely high energy show in his prime. The band's manager even said if anyone else tried to jump around like Dave they would end up in the hospital. So yeah Dave has tried to tone it down but keep things interesting. Instead of Spiderman going all over in spandex tights, Dave wears a suit and does more of a Vaudeville meets Kung Fu thing. Hey it takes talent to do that and Dave does it well but it just comes off as a toned down inferior version of what we grew up on.

I just accept Dave Roth got old. He can't do it anymore. Hey he's in great shape and he's putting the effort in but there will come a day when youth will fade away. It has.

35. 2 users say thank you to Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (07-17-2019),Terry (07-20-2019)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=silverfish;1940243]
    The problem with Dave is he was a very high energy frontman. He’s old with some back problems and he’s smoked too many cigarettes and joints. He can’t do it anymore. Granted he”s in great shape for what he is but Mick Jager can pull it off still and with Dave something is just amiss. /QUOTE]

You might be onto something here. Mick today is the same as Mick 10/20/30 years ago.
    He's doing his twitchy little scarecrow thing and it works cause that's all he's got (besides
    his voice) and he's perfected it. Go with what you know & keep it simple.

Dave on the other hand was the ultimate frontman and perhaps that kinda stuff doesn't
    translate well when he's/you're into your 50/60s. The crowd might want/expect his old
    rap/stories but that shit is so dated and there is really nothing "new" he could replace
    it with to satisfy the masses.
    The problem is the Van Halen's still can play high energy music. Hey those guys could write an album of different songs where Dave could sing them at a lower range with some swagger. Kind of like Can't Get This Stuff No More. They still could do that kind of stuff.

37. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-20-2019)

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The problem is Dave did an extremely high energy show in his prime. The band's manager even said if anyone else tried to jump around like Dave they would end up in the hospital. So yeah Dave has tried to tone it down but keep things interesting. Instead of Spiderman going all over in spandex tights, Dave wears a suit and does more of a Vaudeville meets Kung Fu thing. Hey it takes talent to do that and Dave does it well but it just comes off as a toned down inferior version of what we grew up on.

I just accept Dave Roth got old. He can't do it anymore. Hey he's in great shape and he's putting the effort in but there will come a day when youth will fade away. It has.
    All true yes.

There was no one - NO ONE - who was doing what Dave was doing night after night and still being able to sing through all of it. Yeah yeah, people talk about the US Festival but there are so many boots out there of Dave killin' it vocally along with the showmanship.

He set the bar up way high. It was impossible for anyone to live up to.

39. Thanked Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-20-2019)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    All true yes.

There was no one - NO ONE - who was doing what Dave was doing night after night and still being able to sing through all of it. Yeah yeah, people talk about the US Festival but there are so many boots out there of Dave killin' it vocally along with the showmanship.

Nobody did it better. All those spandex big hair bands in the 80's were all VH copy cats. Dave and Eddie started that whole circus. Haha! Kurt Cobain killed it. Then we got depressing music and nobody has been positive or knows how to party since. Now we are all fear and loathing in a gay bar in the meat packing district addicted to our mobil devices mind fucked by too many internet trolls and disinformation artists. Nobody knows how to just punch the gas and pull their pants down anymore.

41. 2 users say thank you to Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

moose (07-17-2019),Terry (07-20-2019)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Nobody did it better. All those spandex big hair bands in the 80's were all VH copy cats. Dave and Eddie started that whole circus. Haha! Kurt Cobain killed it. Then we got depressing music and nobody has been positive or knows how to party since. Now we are all fear and loathing in a gay bar in the meat packing district addicted to our mobil devices mind fucked by too many internet trolls and disinformation artists. Nobody knows how to just punch the gas and pull their pants down anymore.
    If only I had a nickel for every Sunday morning I came to on the sidewalk next to a gay bar in the meat packing district with my pants pulled down and "no idea" as to how I got there.

43. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (07-20-2019)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    More than a few of those 80s hair bands (including Van Hagar) were VH copycats, but the lead singers and guitar players only copied a couple aspects of what Roth and Ed did, which is why you got the highly sexualized lyrics and delivery without any of the wit, substance or humor and you got flashy fingertapping galore without the attention to the rhythm and song content.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    All true yes.

Which is why it struck me false when Eddie Trunk, in the wake of the Tokyo Dome album, was claiming that Roth was NEVER a great live singer.

The US Festival certainly wasn't Roth's greatest CVH performance strictly from a vocal standpoint, but the CVH boots I have which stretch back to the mid 1970s club days and studio demos through the 1984 tour demonstrate that Roth live was consistently capable of generating live vocals that represented the studio performances well.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Nitro Express;1940249]
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfish View Post

The problem is the Van Halen's still can play high energy music. Hey those guys could write an album of different songs where Dave could sing them at a lower range with some swagger. Kind of like Can't Get This Stuff No More. They still could do that kind of stuff.
    I think so.

I liked those two 1996 Roth BOV1 tracks. I'd be more than content with an album of originals that had the quality level of those two tracks.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

And that's really all it is, is that Dave Roth got old...it's not a sin that he got old and can't perform the way he could in his twenties and thirties, specifically because - as you say - Roth and CVH WERE such a high energy thing.

48. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

ZahZoo (07-21-2019)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Which is why it struck me false when Eddie Trunk, in the wake of the Tokyo Dome album, was claiming that Roth was NEVER a great live singer.

The US Festival certainly wasn't Roth's greatest CVH performance strictly from a vocal standpoint, but the CVH boots I have which stretch back to the mid 1970s club days and studio demos through the 1984 tour demonstrate that Roth live was consistently capable of generating live vocals that represented the studio performances well.
    Eddie Trunk is a mongoloid fucktard that somehow fell into a niche of serving middle-aged asswipes that want constant updates on their hair bands. The ones that remind them of their youth-glory (which generally sucked anyways). It's hard to really take seriously this misanthropic shithead's rantings in his podcast: just blatherings which actually involves nothing tantamount to taste...

Fuck, am I channeling Kristy FFS??

50. 2 users say thank you to Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

BumBahDeeDah (08-18-2019),Jérôme Frenchise (07-21-2019)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Maybe Trunk can tell us how Sammy was technically a better singer than Roth. Then he can tell us how he jerks off to Boy George posters, because he was also a better singer than Roth...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Look, just leave Boy George out of it, okay?

53. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (08-18-2019)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    Fuck, am I channeling Kristy FFS??
    Get on google and locate someone who performs exorcisms in your local area... seek help immediately, Nick!!

Thread Information