• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
    All true yes.

There was no one - NO ONE - who was doing what Dave was doing night after night and still being able to sing through all of it. Yeah yeah, people talk about the US Festival but there are so many boots out there of Dave killin' it vocally along with the showmanship.

He set the bar up way high. It was impossible for anyone to live up to.
    Nobody did it better. All those spandex big hair bands in the 80's were all VH copy cats. Dave and Eddie started that whole circus. Haha! Kurt Cobain killed it. Then we got depressing music and nobody has been positive or knows how to party since. Now we are all fear and loathing in a gay bar in the meat packing district addicted to our mobil devices mind fucked by too many internet trolls and disinformation artists. Nobody knows how to just punch the gas and pull their pants down anymore.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Terry
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
      Nobody did it better. All those spandex big hair bands in the 80's were all VH copy cats. Dave and Eddie started that whole circus. Haha! Kurt Cobain killed it. Then we got depressing music and nobody has been positive or knows how to party since. Now we are all fear and loathing in a gay bar in the meat packing district addicted to our mobil devices mind fucked by too many internet trolls and disinformation artists. Nobody knows how to just punch the gas and pull their pants down anymore.
      If only I had a nickel for every Sunday morning I came to on the sidewalk next to a gay bar in the meat packing district with my pants pulled down and "no idea" as to how I got there.
      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

More than a few of those 80s hair bands (including Van Hagar) were VH copycats, but the lead singers and guitar players only copied a couple aspects of what Roth and Ed did, which is why you got the highly sexualized lyrics and delivery without any of the wit, substance or humor and you got flashy fingertapping galore without the attention to the rhythm and song content.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
          All true yes.

There was no one - NO ONE - who was doing what Dave was doing night after night and still being able to sing through all of it. Yeah yeah, people talk about the US Festival but there are so many boots out there of Dave killin' it vocally along with the showmanship.

He set the bar up way high. It was impossible for anyone to live up to.
          Which is why it struck me false when Eddie Trunk, in the wake of the Tokyo Dome album, was claiming that Roth was NEVER a great live singer.

The US Festival certainly wasn't Roth's greatest CVH performance strictly from a vocal standpoint, but the CVH boots I have which stretch back to the mid 1970s club days and studio demos through the 1984 tour demonstrate that Roth live was consistently capable of generating live vocals that represented the studio performances well.
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

[QUOTE=Nitro Express;1940249]
            Originally posted by silverfish

The problem is the Van Halen's still can play high energy music. Hey those guys could write an album of different songs where Dave could sing them at a lower range with some swagger. Kind of like Can't Get This Stuff No More. They still could do that kind of stuff.
            I think so.

I liked those two 1996 Roth BOV1 tracks. I'd be more than content with an album of originals that had the quality level of those two tracks.
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

The problem is Dave did an extremely high energy show in his prime. The band's manager even said if anyone else tried to jump around like Dave they would end up in the hospital. So yeah Dave has tried to tone it down but keep things interesting. Instead of Spiderman going all over in spandex tights, Dave wears a suit and does more of a Vaudeville meets Kung Fu thing. Hey it takes talent to do that and Dave does it well but it just comes off as a toned down inferior version of what we grew up on.

I just accept Dave Roth got old. He can't do it anymore. Hey he's in great shape and he's putting the effort in but there will come a day when youth will fade away. It has.
              And that's really all it is, is that Dave Roth got old...it's not a sin that he got old and can't perform the way he could in his twenties and thirties, specifically because - as you say - Roth and CVH WERE such a high energy thing.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                Which is why it struck me false when Eddie Trunk, in the wake of the Tokyo Dome album, was claiming that Roth was NEVER a great live singer.

The US Festival certainly wasn't Roth's greatest CVH performance strictly from a vocal standpoint, but the CVH boots I have which stretch back to the mid 1970s club days and studio demos through the 1984 tour demonstrate that Roth live was consistently capable of generating live vocals that represented the studio performances well.
                Eddie Trunk is a mongoloid fucktard that somehow fell into a niche of serving middle-aged asswipes that want constant updates on their hair bands. The ones that remind them of their youth-glory (which generally sucked anyways). It's hard to really take seriously this misanthropic shithead's rantings in his podcast: just blatherings which actually involves nothing tantamount to taste...

Fuck, am I channeling Kristy FFS??

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Maybe Trunk can tell us how Sammy was technically a better singer than Roth. Then he can tell us how he jerks off to Boy George posters, because he was also a better singer than Roth...

Comment

• Terry
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

Look, just leave Boy George out of it, okay?
                    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                      Get on google and locate someone who performs exorcisms in your local area... seek help immediately, Nick!!
                      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• nick500
                        Groupie
                        • Jul 2019

[QUOTE=silverfish;1940243]
                        The problem with Dave is he was a very high energy frontman. He’s old with some back problems and he’s smoked too many cigarettes and joints. He can’t do it anymore. Granted he”s in great shape for what he is but Mick Jager can pull it off still and with Dave something is just amiss. /QUOTE]

You might be onto something here. Mick today is the same as Mick 10/20/30 years ago.
                        He's doing his twitchy little scarecrow thing and it works cause that's all he's got (besides
                        his voice) and he's perfected it. Go with what you know & keep it simple.

Dave on the other hand was the ultimate frontman and perhaps that kinda stuff doesn't
                        translate well when he's/you're into your 50/60s. The crowd might want/expect his old
                        rap/stories but that shit is so dated and there is really nothing "new" he could replace
                        it with to satisfy the masses.
                        I think that operation has taken a lot out of Mick, he looks a little tired in some of the footage I've seen,
                        which is understandable. He is certainly not the Mick Jagger of 20 years ago.
                        Keith Richards on the other hand, looks like he's sleepwalking his way
                        through some of these concerts.

As for Dave, I think in the studio he's still a very capable singer and lyric writer.

Comment

• private parts
                          Sniper
                          • Jan 2007

Eddie Trunk is a mongoloid fucktard that somehow fell into a niche of serving middle-aged asswipes that want constant updates on their hair bands. The ones that remind them of their youth-glory (which generally sucked anyways).
                          Which is why you're here right?
                          sigpic" You ever notice when I scream I sound like Mr. Bill on acid" DLR

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                            And that's really all it is, is that Dave Roth got old...it's not a sin that he got old and can't perform the way he could in his twenties and thirties, specifically because - as you say - Roth and CVH WERE such a high energy thing.
                            Too be honest. I never was sober at any Van Halen show to remember if Dave was good on stage or not. I barely even remember those shows.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Eddie Trunk is a mongoloid fucktard that somehow fell into a niche of serving middle-aged asswipes that want constant updates on their hair bands. The ones that remind them of their youth-glory (which generally sucked anyways). It's hard to really take seriously this misanthropic shithead's rantings in his podcast: just blatherings which actually involves nothing tantamount to taste...

Sounds like Trunk got his salad tossed down in Cabo and is chasing the thrill he got from Sam down there. Sammy is the Pied Piper of faggots. Sammy loves to play all kinds of flutes.

Comment

• Terry
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Jan 2004

Too be honest. I never was sober at any Van Halen show to remember if Dave was good on stage or not. I barely even remember those shows.
                                I was a bit stoned on weed and buzzed on Schnapp's when I saw Van Halen in 1984. I still have decent memories of it, though. Was sober at all the Roth shows I saw from 1999 onward, including the Van Halen shows in 2008 and 2012, because I was the one doing the driving to and from the shows.
                                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...