X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kristy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Heater
    As Ed himself said the first time ol' Dave tried a Vegas run, "the magic is gone". It still is.
    It's been over 43 years, people!

Time to move on.

A lot has change in the world such as...many of you might have missed this:

Check into it sometime. You'll find it an eye opening experience.
    By the way, "Frank" is an asshole.

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I think the videos taken right from below Roth are picking up a his vocal monitor and sound way worse due to the mix. Stage sound is always way shittier than elsewhere so those versions of the worst sung songs like JLP from that persons phone are now all over the social media with people astonished at how shit they think it is.

I know I'll just sound like an apologist but it's not a fair representation to find the worst footage of the worst sung songs and is kind of irritating to watch the trial by phone YouTube but whatever. It's kind of difficult to weigh into a Facebook thread of 20 people to explain that and say 'it's not complete shit its just a bit sub par and over half the set is totally fine considering'.

Also good to see live keyboards for the first time in how long which made me start to wonder if it's possible the backing vocals are live just really well rehearsed - with 4 people it's not impossible.

Comment

• lesfunk
        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

That vocal performance is indefensible.
        http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• silverfish
          Foot Soldier
          • Mar 2007

UCL reports:

"The 65-year-old Roth was energetic, enthusiastic and engaging throughout,
          understandably skipping most of the acrobatics and dancing of previous tours.
          Sometimes he also missed notes, cues or occasionally, entire verses - most
          notably on "California Girls," during which he broke out his now-famous "I
          forgot the fucking words" apology."

Wonder if Eddie Trunk thinks DLR really forgot the words to CA Girls or maybe
          now he's finally in on the joke?...

David Lee Roth kicked off his first solo tour in over a decade with a show in Las Vegas, Nevada in January 2020.
          Originally posted by sadaist
          I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by lesfunk
            That vocal performance is indefensible.
            If you have to actually stop and analyze if it’s good, it’s not good. A good performance should automatically wow you.
            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

My advice to Dave. It’s over dude. Start pimping your skin care products. You invested a lot of money into that. Sell it! You’re Jewish for hell sakes. Show Sammy you are a better salesman than he is.
              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Baby's On Fire
                Veteran
                • May 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                My advice to Dave. It’s over dude. Start pimping your skin care products. You invested a lot of money into that. Sell it! You’re Jewish for hell sakes. Show Sammy you are a better salesman than he is.
                I couldn't agree more.

Even back to the Slawterhouse days, I was saying Dave is done. He hasn't sung a note since ALAE.

I got slammed for saying it then, but I was right, wasn't I?

Dave should have gone out on top as far as singing. He had and still has many other talents I admire.

Singing is none ofthem. He sounds awful.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by silverfish
                  Wonder if Eddie Trunk thinks DLR really forgot the words to CA Girls or maybe
                  now he's finally in on the joke?...
                  I think on this occasion it was genuine I think he missed his cue and got lost in the first verse.

Would that spoil the show for anyone?
                  Last edited by Seshmeister; 01-10-2020, 08:52 AM.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Nov 2004

I've always felt embarrassed with his forgetting the lyrics. Never made me laugh: I've always thought Dave wasn't doing the hardest thing on stage ( except for the acrobatics ), pisses me when, listening to a bootleg, he misses his part, while the other three are delivering... But hey, that's part of Dave's performance, can't help it.

Can't help yelping it, too, these days.
                    posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                    posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Kristy
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Roth is 65????

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                        Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Dave actually sang Big Train, Tobacco Road, and Mean Street fairly well.

He needs to lay off the high register. I don't think he really means to go there all the time.

He does when he feels like he has to belt out the song like on the album. But for some tunes that aint gonna work. Hell he never sang those tunes like on the album back in the day anyway.

He most certainly can still sing better than Coverdale and Stanley. So why should Dave hang it up? I say keep going.

Fuck the haters.

ROTH ON.
                        =V V=
                        ole No.1 The finest
                        EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• So this is love
                          Veteran
                          • Jan 2012

I wouldn`t consider myself a "hater" but it seems the standard for these rock singers is getting lower and lower as they age...unless these youtube clips are not really representative of the live performance...
                          Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                            Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

I just watched Big Train from the first show again.

Dave is really good on this one. Again, if he stays within a certain range and away from too much yelping.

If he has trouble with DTNA, just drop it already. Replace it with another solo jam. How about Little Texas from DLR Band?
                            =V V=
                            ole No.1 The finest
                            EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Apr 2005

I see a lot of effort. By everyone but the singer.....pack it in Dave. Or put in some effort like 07/08. Sad.

Comment

• lesfunk
                                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

The problem, as I see it, is that he gets this big promotional ball rolling, then doesn’t bother to personally prepare, either by taking care of his voice, learning the lyrics or apparently even rehearsing much. The band is obviously tight, rehearsed and competent.
                                I’ll bet he rehearsed with them maybe once or twice tops .

Roth blew a big opportuninity to make a strong first impression.

Maybe he thinks he’ll get over by just being “Dave”
                                It won’t work as well as he thinks it will.
                                There’s still a market for that old Van Halen. People will buy it but it can’t suck as much as it did Wednesday or it’s gonna be a short summer
                                http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

Working...