X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vinnie Velvet
    Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
    Yeah the backing vocals sound suspiciously perfect to me and I agree the guitarist is doing a great job.

I see a lot of negativity online about these videos but I bet it was much better in the room than on YouTube and everything apart from Dave's vocals on some of the songs is good.

The verses on DTNA grate so much that you are still smarting from them and forget to notice how well Beautiful Girls or Tobacco Road are working.
    I mean, what are folks expecting from Roth in 2020?

1984 Dave? LOL

Roth has been putting in the effort - that much is clear. And yes I would imagine seeing the show live is indeed better than watching youtube clips.

There is just an insane online/social media culture of hatred for some things.
    =V V=
    ole No.1 The finest
    EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Kristy
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet

Roth has been putting in the effort - that much is clear.
      Maybe he's expecting a good rating from AARP?

Comment

• Southpaw
        Roadie
        • Jan 2009

Looks like he’s having a blast and looks healthy. Great for him. I will admit I was hoping to hear him sound better vocally but I guess it’s as good as could be expected. We all know his history. His band does absolutely nothing for me but I don’t have a degree in instruments ( besides the skin flute). Rock on Dave live your best life!

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Drummer was ok - but hes no Bissonette or Ray Luzier.
          I'm sure he's very technical but not a 'heavy' flash drummer which you would think the gig would suit better.

Funny you should mention Bissonette...

Michael Musselman is a Los Angeles based drummer for live and studio settings. He studied under Gregg Bissonette (Ringo Starr) and graduated Musicians Institute in 2012. He has worked with Keith Urban, Ryan Cabrera, Magic Giant, Pretty Sister, Figs Vision, Forebear and many more.
          This is his own band.

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Dave is past the sell date.
            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

1984 Dave? LOL

Roth has been putting in the effort - that much is clear. And yes I would imagine seeing the show live is indeed better than watching youtube clips.

Some things? There is internet hatred for all things.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Southpaw
                Looks like he’s having a blast and looks healthy. Great for him. I will admit I was hoping to hear him sound better vocally but I guess it’s as good as could be expected. We all know his history. His band does absolutely nothing for me but I don’t have a degree in instruments ( besides the skin flute). Rock on Dave live your best life!
                I think skin flute players are the most important players of all. Jimmy Page would agree.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
                  Maybe he's expecting a good rating from AARP?
                  Dave will be sedated in an assisted living center soon for pressing up against the staff and saying,"That's not a micorphone in my pants, I'm just happy to see you!"

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Well it looks like Dr. Rockso is finished. Mr. Wallace was right, age will bite yo ass.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

1984 Dave? LOL

Some of it is people are just used to artists miming to lesser or greater degrees so when they hear one that isn't they can't take it. I'm sure say that guy from Queen isn't but he's young. For many of the older artists it's not complete miming but the guy on the desk fades in more of a recorded vocal at the bits where he knows or hears the singer struggle. In the case of say Madonna that's whenever she is dancing, Simon Le Bon anything high, Ozzy when it sounds in tune, you get the idea.

Even the often cited Jagger who is basically a freak of nature at the very least gets help from that black backing singer guy.

I'm not saying that's the only issue with Dave's vocals but it's a definite factor on some of the YouTube comments and elsewhere.

Seems to me as usual the reviews from publications that actually sent someone to the gig are the most positive about it.

Comment

• Jetstream
                        Foot Soldier
                        • Dec 2011

One can always get a truthful expression from a show live only being their in the flesh so to speak. I have seen Dave numerous times and for instance his 2015 shows did have their moments of 'god lord' what was that good and bad but live some of what is expressed on a internet video makes it appear worse maybe due to the fact you do not have the proper equipment to get an electronic audio at the right levels with not just the voice, but the acoustics, and the entire wall of sound of the band itself in a coherent whole. I think he sounded just fine on tunes like "Big Train" and his only major flaw is his need to yelp or try an obscure high octave from time to time. He handled Jump pretty well and kept it within a decent range. I think he has forged an alternative alteration to "Dance The Night Away" which probably would have sounded better than the original but he cannot now pull it off but the idea of what he rather it would have sounded like cannot escape him though he no longer has the chops to do the whole song consistently in that manner... for a old fart, he's doing the best he can and looks happy which is good for him
                        I got lost in the...

Comment

• Heater
                          Foot Soldier
                          • Nov 2010

As Ed himself said the first time ol' Dave tried a Vegas run, "the magic is gone". It still is.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Jetstream
                            One can always get a truthful expression from a show live only being their in the flesh so to speak. I have seen Dave numerous times and for instance his 2015 shows did have their moments of 'god lord' what was that good and bad but live some of what is expressed on a internet video makes it appear worse maybe due to the fact you do not have the proper equipment to get an electronic audio at the right levels with not just the voice, but the acoustics, and the entire wall of sound of the band itself in a coherent whole. I think he sounded just fine on tunes like "Big Train" and his only major flaw is his need to yelp or try an obscure high octave from time to time. He handled Jump pretty well and kept it within a decent range. I think he has forged an alternative alteration to "Dance The Night Away" which probably would have sounded better than the original but he cannot now pull it off but the idea of what he rather it would have sounded like cannot escape him though he no longer has the chops to do the whole song consistently in that manner... for a old fart, he's doing the best he can and looks happy which is good for him
                            Dave is enthusiastic and frisky but he can’t get it up and in. If you are in the audience you are like the woman he took home.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Heater
                              As Ed himself said the first time ol' Dave tried a Vegas run, "the magic is gone". It still is.
                              Ed said he actually cried when he saw Dave’s Vegas schtick on Leno. Well Dave burned his bridges with the Van Halen’s good this time but it doesn’t matter because those guys are a bunch of old fucks too. Not everybody is like The Stones. Van Halen was young high energy. That’s hard to pull off when you are in your 60’s. Dave is like watching some old fart NBA hot shot try and play hoop like he did when he was in his 20’s.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

Van Halen was great. They just got old. Dave still wants the old glory. He’s still a pirate on the prowl for booty. It’s just no longer entertaining watching him in his ego fueled quests anymore.

Comment

Working...