So it's Vegas again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra View Post
    And now the question of all questions:which of you motherfuckers will be there. We're planning a trip from Berlin/Germany to see Dave and Aerosmith on one weekend. Lets see if we can get it done
    I'm not sure at the moment - the ticket price is a no brainer my problem is the flights and everything else with the shitty exchange rate because of stupid politics.

Comment

Originally posted by twonabomber View Post
      One of the best VH shows I've seen was Dave at the HOB Cleveland. 15 feet or so from the stage, Brian and Toshi on guitar...

Never seen this one! He must have been slightly to the left of us

That clip you posted was right around the same date that I saw Roth in Orlando in 2006, with Brian and Toshi both on guitar.

GREAT solo gig. Point of fact, I enjoyed that gig even more than seeing Roth open for Bad Company when he was promoting the DLR Band album (of which he played Slam Dunk, and that was it off that album), or the Sam and Dave tour or the outdoor Ribfest Roth gig I saw in 2005 in St. Pete (which also featured Brian and Toshi on guitar). Orlando 2006 was easily the most enjoyable post-1996 debacle Roth solo show I saw.
      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Originally posted by Seshmeister View Post
        I'm pretty sure RJD faked his last tour...

Maybe it's because I'm old but it just totally ruins gigs for me. I'm just about ok with offstage keyboards or effects as long as they are played live. Anything to do with vocals, drums or especially guitars on tape completely ruins a show for me.

Which if I can shoehorn this back on topic after I derailed it, is to me a really cool thing that Van Halen did on the ADKOT tour and live album. Ok it's a shame about some of vocal choices by Dave but name some other bands that have brought out an album that was actually 4 or 5 people playing live in recent times? I never hear anyone talk about the 10 or more really good versions on the Tokyo album.

The best live act I have seen in the last few years(or longer) was the Foo Fighters this summer. Going in I was wondering jeez 3 guitarists and a keyboard player onstage seems a bit much. Then it occurred to me if that's what it takes to do their songs properly live without cheating then great. Would you want to go and see a Beethoven symphony where 7 people mime along to a tape or a 90 piece orchestra play the fucking thing?

Now posting that I'm anxious someone is going to show me they are fake too...
        One can't say that the Tokyo Dome album suffered from any post-performance retouching/studio dubbing: VERY warts-and-all.

Vocals were rough, but as you say, at least you know you're listening to what was played that night.

I'd tend to doubt the Foos fake it. I'm hardly a diehard Foo fan, but even so I'll readily admit those guys are the real deal.

Feel the same way in terms of live vs. pre-recorded "augmentation": if a band can't generate a decent live sound with the musicians they have ontage, at least have the fortitude to flat-out admit it. Otherwise, it's a false pretense, and "everyone else is doing it" doesn't cut it with me.

I get WHY these older rock acts have been doing it. Playing tunes live that they were able to 30 years ago without audio assistance is probably tough work for dudes in their 50s, 60s and beyond. For me, if they can't do it anymore, they aren't getting my money by miming half or better of what is coming through the P.A. ESPECIALLY (as you said) where the core instrumentation (drums/bass/guitar) and vocals (lead AND backing) are concerned. If it comes to that, I just won't bother attending...I'd rather not see a band I have liked for decades faking it because they got old, can't cut it live anymore yet still need to sell tickets at $100 a pop to maintain their lifestyles. Get somebody else's ticket money. It's not like there's a shortage of people willing to compromise and listen to pre-taped performances, or they just don't care one way or the other: let THEM keep these rock geezers in style.

Really aren't any aging acts left out there that I still feel I HAVE to see to the point where I'll tolerate faux-miming, anyway.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry View Post
          That clip you posted was right around the same date that I saw Roth in Orlando in 2006, with Brian and Toshi both on guitar.

GREAT solo gig. Point of fact, I enjoyed that gig even more than seeing Roth open for Bad Company when he was promoting the DLR Band album (of which he played Slam Dunk, and that was it off that album), or the Sam and Dave tour or the outdoor Ribfest Roth gig I saw in 2005 in St. Pete (which also featured Brian and Toshi on guitar). Orlando 2006 was easily the most enjoyable post-1996 debacle Roth solo show I saw.
          Tommy, Von, and I saw DLR in Detroit the night before. Carmine, Grimes, and Shoes joined us all for the Sunday show. A great gathering of misfits. Grimes skipped out on his check at Flannery's...
          Last edited by twonabomber; 09-17-2019, 02:28 AM.
          Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

All speculation, but I can see the logic to Trunk's thinking.
            sigpic" You ever notice when I scream I sound like Mr. Bill on acid" DLR

Comment

The truth of the matter is most the people who entertained us in our high school and college years are in their 70's and 60's. Most lived their life hard. Probably the guy that should get the "I'm still alive so kiss my ass!" award is Ginger Baker. Crazy Ginger is 80 years old. The reality folks is we are going to get a flood of news reports of rock and roll artists passing away. Also what has killed rock and roll is not that there isn't any talent or any interest. It's because there is no mass medium like radio all the kids listen to. We grew up with the local radio stations and DJ's. They promoted the songs and bands. That's gone. Right now media is fragmented. There isn't the centralized promotion there used to be. Rock and Roll needed radio and that's gone now. What killed rock and roll? The internet did in more ways than one. Now we are wondering if the internet has been an asset or if it's going to morph into a big surveillance that micromanages us. In fact, some are saying the fun days of the internet are gone. Social media killed it.

Maybe the internet will fuck itself to death and we all go offline and get bored and go gee, "That guy can really play that guitar and that guy can really sing and rock and roll grows out of the slime again."
              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

But Dave Roth owes me nothing. He always showed up when I bought a VH ticket. He wrote some great lyrics and inspired some great songs and videos. Dave came around at the right time. He's the toast master general of my high school years and after I graduated high school the band fell apart. 1984 was the end of high school for me and the end of Van Halen.

Comment

Originally posted by Nitro Express View Post
                  But Dave Roth owes me nothing. He always showed up when I bought a VH ticket. He wrote some great lyrics and inspired some great songs and videos. Dave came around at the right time. He's the toast master general of my high school years and after I graduated high school the band fell apart. 1984 was the end of high school for me and the end of Van Halen.
                  I agree. But someone needs to tell Dave. He isn't aware. He thinks he's still Diamond Dave. He's not. He's become Liberace.

If he would just act normal, he would still fascinate me. This mile-a-second gibberish is unlistenable. It's not entertaining It's not intellectual.

He is trying to be something he is not.

The best interview I ever saw or heard from Dave post-VH was on Joe Rogan, around 2014 or 2015 He was wearing his overalls and cap. Acting like a real, normal person.

That is the DLR I want to see. I want to hear about his travels. Things that happened in the jungle and Himalayas, etc. His exercise habits, which apparently used to be hardcore. He has always avoided talking about things like that.

Kayaking stories in Cambodia (where I believe he went in 1997 or so).

On and on. Real David Roth.

No more with the fucking fake schtick and sparkly purple-fucking-jackets.

Dave has always been his own worst enemy. He refuses to see himself as how he really is and perceived.

Anyway…..VH is over. And I don't care because it ended in 1984 as you said.

Comment

I’m a little behind the curve because I’m not online much anymore. Although this evening I did see Dave’s “”Rocks Las Vegas” video in my feed this afternoon. So...after playing an hour of Classic Donkey Kong on my full size arcade game, which also has 59 other games I absolutely suck at, I listened to the latest Roth Show (maybe latest? I don’t know).

I was alternately excited and disappointed. Kinda like my relationship with my last girlfriend. I was bored out of my mind most of the time but still hoping for some magic. I would say “at least Dave’s doing something, anything.” But...i’ll Wait for the “it’s youtube” videos where everybody makes excuses. Or maybe i’ll Be surprised. Not like that chick shows up on a Friday nite surprised. Maybe Dave really has worked on his shit. That’s what I’m hoping for.
                    American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

Originally posted by DONNIEP View Post
                      I’m a little behind the curve because I’m not online much anymore. Although this evening I did see Dave’s “”Rocks Las Vegas” video in my feed this afternoon. So...after playing an hour of Classic Donkey Kong on my full size arcade game, which also has 59 other games I absolutely suck at, I listened to the latest Roth Show (maybe latest? I don’t know).

I was alternately excited and disappointed. Kinda like my relationship with my last girlfriend. I was bored out of my mind most of the time but still hoping for some magic. I would say “at least Dave’s doing something, anything.” But...i’ll Wait for the “it’s youtube” videos where everybody makes excuses. Or maybe i’ll Be surprised. Not like that chick shows up on a Friday nite surprised. Maybe Dave really has worked on his shit. That’s what I’m hoping for.

He's been working on it since 1995. That's the problem.

Rehearsed, fake bullshit.

I'm Diamond Dave. I am Las Vegas baby. Wooooooooo.

Shut the fuck up Dave. You've become Liberace.

Comment

Originally posted by Baby's On Fire View Post
                        I agree. But someone needs to tell Dave. He isn't aware. He thinks he's still Diamond Dave. He's not. He's become Liberace.

If he would just act normal, he would still fascinate me. This mile-a-second gibberish is unlistenable. It's not entertaining It's not intellectual.

He is trying to be something he is not.

The best interview I ever saw or heard from Dave post-VH was on Joe Rogan, around 2014 or 2015 He was wearing his overalls and cap. Acting like a real, normal person.

That is the DLR I want to see. I want to hear about his travels. Things that happened in the jungle and Himalayas, etc. His exercise habits, which apparently used to be hardcore. He has always avoided talking about things like that.

Kayaking stories in Cambodia (where I believe he went in 1997 or so).

On and on. Real David Roth.

No more with the fucking fake schtick and sparkly purple-fucking-jackets.

Dave has always been his own worst enemy. He refuses to see himself as how he really is and perceived.

Anyway…..VH is over. And I don't care because it ended in 1984 as you said.
                        He’s heading into crazy old man territory. He’s going to be hell on wheels at the assisted living home. Dave will dance around with no shirt on and press up against the ladies and say,”Is that a microphone in my pants or am I just happy to see you?”

Comment

Originally posted by DONNIEP View Post

I’m going to have enough drinks in me that Dave singing out of key while jacking off his junk to the 60 year old ladies with saggy tits in the front row will seem like it was worth the $64.

Comment

Best Roth interview imo....

Comment

Originally posted by twonabomber View Post
                              Tommy, Von, and I saw DLR in Detroit the night before. Carmine, Grimes, and Shoes joined us all for the Sunday show. A great gathering of misfits. Grimes skipped out on his check at Flannery's...
                              Without having met any of them in person, all of that sounds about right!
                              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Originally posted by private parts View Post
                                All speculation, but I can see the logic to Trunk's thinking.
                                Which Trunk says, several times, in terms of it all being speculation...primarily because (as Trunk also said) the band doesn't address...anything. Outside of the Smithsonian thing, has anybody from the Van Halen camp outside of Dave made a peep since the 2015 tour?

But Trunk also points out that Van Halen has been pretty erratic in the last 25 years far as working anyway, basically since Eddie first started having health issues that were made public in 1996. Then again, who the fuck knows? I get the feeling Roth doesn't even know much about what is going on with the Van Halens anymore.

If Dave wants to play/perform, he should. If the Van Halens don't (or can't), then Roth can always play with other musicians. I don't particularly get the feeling that Roth asked for the Van Halens blessings with this upcoming Vegas stint. It feels more like Roth got tired of doing nothing and hearing nothing, and finally wanted to do something.

I did hear on a terrestrial morning radio show audio excerpts from a recent interview Roth gave where he claimed he "came up with" the guitar solos for RWTD and Jamie's Crying, in terms of...something along the lines of telling Eddie what to play where those songs were concerned...which was the first time I can recall Roth taking claim for what EDDIE was doing where CVH was concerned. And he said he [Roth] had as much right as anybody to go out and play those CVH songs with whomever, because he designed all the album covers, wrote all the lyrics and melodies, etc. etc. All of which were aspects of CVH he claimed authorship of before.
                                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...
                                X