ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,615 Posts

David Lee Roth's Failed Takeover Of Howard Stern's Show - YouTube

As I've mentioned...I asked Brian Young after the HOB show here if the show was set up to fail, and he says "we were absolutely set up to fail."

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

ZahZoo (03-15-2020)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    A lot of Roth's career post-YFLM and pre-2007 at least the way I see it, has been a series of dabblings.

He did a Vegas stint. He got back together with Van Halen. He put out an autobiography. He did the DLR Band album. He filmed the Bar-B-Que. He did the tour with Hagar. He did the Diamond Dave album. He did the radio stint. He did the Van Strumming thing. Did some solo touring in-between some of these various undertakings.

Some of these dabblings I liked. Others didn't do much for me. When I heard Roth was taking over some of Stern's markets with the radio stint, I never took it seriously in terms of thinking Roth was actually gonna replace Stern long term in any sense. Mostly because the time 2005 rolled around, Roth had been all over the map for a decade. To a lesser degree, because Roth's popularity zenith was 20 years behind him when he gave the radio gig a shot: he wasn't going to get a fair shake by a certain amount of Stern listeners from the get-go because Roth circa 2005 had an aura of 'has been' around him.

And I think what Stern said about Roth in the clip was true to the degree that there's a big difference between being an entertaining interview subject vs. being a radio host. I gave several of the Roth radio shows a listen early in his brief run, and...it was just too much David Lee Roth, if that makes sense.

I will say I agree with the point the clip made that at least Roth didn't try and follow the typical Stern knock-off Morning Zoo Wack Pack AM Drive Crew template countless stations around the country have. My local AM Zoo Crew takes pains to say they're NOT a Zoo Crew, while simultaneously taking calls from and mocking local loser listeners, making smartass comments about whatever celebrity gossip is in the news that day and the like: apparently, their main factor in claiming not to be a Wack Pack is that none of them wear Hawaiian shirts.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

No one seemed to think it through. Either CBS were ridiculously incompetent which is not impossible or he was set up to fail but even so if it had been me or if say I had been Brian my first question would have been 'How can one person talking possibly fill 4 hours without music 5 days a week?' Removing the commercials and news it was still 3 hours. There was plenty of time to prepare, Dave has said so many times about how he was a radio fan I don't get how he couldn't see the trap. To do it you need all sorts of features and regular bits.

The counter to this is maybe something like the Rogan podcast where Dave and many other people do talk for 3 hours but apart from a podcast being a different format the key difference is at the end you don't say ok see you again tomorrow and the day after for month after month.

Still I'm saying it was dumb but Dave still walks away after a few months of doing a 20 hour week with a minimum of hundreds of thousands of dollars probably way more so who is the mug?
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 03-15-2020 at 11:39 PM.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    Was it really a "failure" or just a mismanaged venture with a short life..?

Dave didn't produce that show all on his own... it had a producer, management and full supporting staff behind the scenes. Were the ratings so bad that the station was losng money?

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    08-03-2023 @ 07:22 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Anytime ol' Dave does something where he isn't relying HEAVILY on his Van Halen connection or isn't, in fact, steeped in it, he fails. The only reason some of his, uh, stories might be interesting is because of the band he used to be in.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

CBS Radio was in a no-win situation. They were going to lose that battle no matter who they signed.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    3 hours a day 5 days a week for a morning drive show is a lot of air time to fill: unless you're someone on the level of Stern who can interview pretty much anybody and draw something interesting out of them or talk about pretty much any subject and have interesting points to make, I'd agree you're gonna need a lot of recurring bits and features to fill the show out. For whatever it's worth, for every Stern or Opie & Anthony who is able to do compelling morning radio there are probably literally dozens and dozens of Morning Zoo Crews across the country who, while they may be able to fill the hours, aren't coming up with anything worth hearing...and some of these guys have been in the radio biz for decades in some cases.

I'd agree that CBS Radio WAS in a no-win situation in terms of whoever immediately replaced Stern and the inevitable ratings drop. I'm still kinda surprised Dave took a swing at it...maybe at the time he figured taking a shot at hosting a multi-market morning radio show was preferable to doing another round of solo gigs to smaller audiences, which is pretty much where his career was circa 2005/2006 in terms of live performances.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    3 hours a day 5 days a week for a morning drive show is a lot of air time to fill: unless you're someone on the level of Stern who can interview pretty much anybody and draw something interesting out of them or talk about pretty much any subject and have interesting points to make, I'd agree you're gonna need a lot of recurring bits and features to fill the show out.
    The biggest bit of evidence for the conspiracy of it being a set up to fail is the guests. I don't know much about US radio but this was one of the biggest slots in the country so why were the bookings C or D list or more often no one at all?

Where were all the people selling their latest movie, album, book or show?

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-07-2021 @ 07:51 PM
    Burlington, Ontario (Canada motherfucker!!)
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    No one seemed to think it through. Either CBS were ridiculously incompetent which is not impossible or he was set up to fail but even so if it had been me or if say I had been Brian my first question would have been 'How can one person talking possibly fill 4 hours without music 5 days a week?' Removing the commercials and news it was still 3 hours. There was plenty of time to prepare, Dave has said so many times about how he was a radio fan I don't get how he couldn't see the trap. To do it you need all sorts of features and regular bits.

The counter to this is maybe something like the Rogan podcast where Dave and many other people do talk for 3 hours but apart from a podcast being a different format the key difference is at the end you don't say ok see you again tomorrow and the day after for month after month.

Still I'm saying it was dumb but Dave still walks away after a few months of doing a 20 hour week with a minimum of hundreds of thousands of dollars probably way more so who is the mug?

CBS paid Dave 6 million dollars. I wish I was a failure like that.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Where did you get that figure?

I was being super conservative but I doubt it was 6 million.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Googling it I had forgotten it was also CBS that he sued over the movie thing way back in the day. Technically an entirely different corporate person I'm sure but it is funny how much 'free' cash he has got out of CBS over the years.

13. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (03-19-2020)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    CBS Radio was in a no-win situation. They were going to lose that battle no matter who they signed.
    Yep... there was no way they were going to come close to capturing the market share Stern held.

Dave's show wasn't that bad... a little better development and guest roster and they could have done fine.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I had tried to get the local ratings but it's a subscription service and wasn't able to.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Googling it I had forgotten it was also CBS that he sued over the movie thing way back in the day. Technically an entirely different corporate person I'm sure but it is funny how much 'free' cash he has got out of CBS over the years.
    I recall Dave saying it. CBS broke the contract and had to pay him out.

Charcoal Mellowed
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Baby's On Fire View Post
    CBS paid Dave 6 million dollars. I wish I was a failure like that.
    If you believe a quick google search, it shows it was a $4M contract:

https://www.vhnd.com/2006/04/24/cbs-...under-the-bus/

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/david-l...from-airwaves/

https://www.foxnews.com/story/david-...h-i-was-booted

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I stand corrected.

If I can't be a 6 million dollar failure, I wish I could have been a 4 million dollar failure.

Dave came away laughing.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 3,449 Posts

LOL so they finally got what they (CBS) wanted, Opie and Anthony. How'd that work out?

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    LOL so they finally got what they (CBS) wanted, Opie and Anthony. How'd that work out?
    Neither work for SiriusXM any more...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I haven't heard a lot of their stuff but what I did I didn't find funny. The 20 minutes or so of stand up I've heard from Jim Norton, their long time collaborator was so weak I was completely confused that he had a career beyond open mikes. I think he's a fan of CVH and all that too but to me I don't get his thing(s).

Also their fans inexplicably attacked this site for a while because of the Roth radio thing, Anthony got sacked for being racist and it wasn't an unreasonable sacking but most important of all they just come across as not being very good so have to try too hard IMHO.

Their hardcore fans came across as having that thing that liberal colleges are often accused of these days whereby they shut down freedom of speech and expression they don't like while claiming to be the guardians of it.

But again I'm basing all of this post on a complete total of about 90 minutes exposure to them and their base and subsequent shows so may be talking shit. Also I'm getting old.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 03-18-2020 at 02:15 AM.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 3,449 Posts

Opie and Anthony were awful and painfully unfunny.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Yeah, I remember when those cockbags sent a bunch of trolls over here to attack me, for some reason. Guess Karma came back to kick them in the ass eventually.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    Opie and Anthony were awful and painfully unfunny.
    The "Pests" would claim that O&A were funny, and if one didn't think so, one didn't "get it."

Come on. It's comedy, not algebra. It's funny or it ain't.

That being said...I have watched some of the Norton stuff on YouTube, and he's okay. Some of the Anthony stuff with Artie Lange, and they're okay. Haven't bothered to watch any of the other guy's stuff, not sure he even works any more.

I'm sure this will show up in a search someday and we'll be visited again.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-18-2022 @ 04:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I don't know about being set up to fail. It's just Roth can't keep up the Picasso Brothers shtick for three straight hours without performing some music.

Thread Information