X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Meh.

Band was adequate. Backing vocals sounded piped in. Lead vocals didn't.

Vocally, about what I expected. Lots of yelping.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by lesfunk
      The problem, as I see it, is that he gets this big promotional ball rolling, then doesn’t bother to personally prepare, either by taking care of his voice, learning the lyrics or apparently even rehearsing much. The band is obviously tight, rehearsed and competent.
      I’ll bet he rehearsed with them maybe once or twice tops .
      I know you play live too regularly and I'm sure you are correct on this.

It's seems not coincidental that on the first Van Halen 'Reunion' tour back in 2007/8 that Dave was the best he had been since the early 80s after being in rehearsals for 2 months with the Van Halens.

He is on record saying that since he has been singing these songs for so long he can just turn up and do it. My defence of him in this thread is just that there has been a lot of hyperbole going on about meh vocal performance being exaggerated to being the worst thing ever. That coupled with people posting online about it and the Ki$$ tour support without them realizing that he's singing and they are miming.

Comment

• lesfunk
        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

It’s more than just poor vocal performance
        I saw him missing cues that the rest of the band had obviously rehearsed, , fumbling around with the lyrics, singing the wrong verses at the wrong time, sloppy interplay with the rest of the group.
        Yes, Roth has historically used mumbling and “forgetting the fucking words” as shtick, but this didn’t feel like that. This just seemed sloppy and slapdash
        Yes, a lot of this looseness “gets worked out” with repeated performance, but in today’s cell phone, social media climate, this opening show was the biggest opportunity to show the people (who are still interested enough to potentially buy another ticket) that here’s a show worth seeing.
        I fear that he managed to to little more than reinforce the negativity of his detractors and possibly caused a reduction in future ticked sales.
        Personally, I did not go to see the 2015 Van Halen tour presicely because the Tokyo Dome album was released first and I got to hear it.
        I didn’t like what I heard on that live album and it cost Van Halen a ticket sale on my behalf
        Last edited by lesfunk; 01-10-2020, 11:26 PM.
        http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• Baby's On Fire
          Veteran
          • May 2004

How can Dave not realize that he sounds awful? What's wrong with him? His ego doesn't seem as huge as when he deserved to have a huge ego, so how can he not realize he has become a joke? He is unlistenable and unwatchable.

I'm embarrassed for him. Maybe his voice gave Eddie cancer.

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Usually you only post drunk at the start of the week.

Comment

• Baby's On Fire
              Veteran
              • May 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
              Usually you only post drunk at the start of the week.
              You're an idiot. Dave sounds so bad it's unbelievable.

Maybe your Scottish kilt (woman's dress) is too big and it's covering your ears. It definitely muffles your brain.

Comment

• lesfunk
                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Maybe his voice gave Eddie cancer.

Yeah, but that was funny

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

It’s more than just poor vocal performance
                  I saw him missing cues that the rest of the band had obviously rehearsed, , fumbling around with the lyrics, singing the wrong verses at the wrong time, sloppy interplay with the rest of the group.
                  Yes, Roth has historically used mumbling and “forgetting the fucking words” as shtick, but this didn’t feel like that. This just seemed sloppy and slapdash
                  Yes, a lot of this looseness “gets worked out” with repeated performance, but in today’s cell phone, social media climate, this opening show was the biggest opportunity to show the people (who are still interested enough to potentially buy another ticket) that here’s a show worth seeing.
                  I fear that he managed to to little more than reinforce the negativity of his detractors and possibly caused a reduction in future ticked sales.
                  Personally, I did not go to see the 2015 Van Halen tour presicely because the Tokyo Dome album was released first and I got to hear it.
                  I didn’t like what I heard on that live album and it cost Van Halen a ticket sale on my behalf
                  All true but in the room well worth $50 at Vegas prices.

As a 'normal' person I find it weird that Dave clearly must spend literally fucking dozens of hours in the gym to keep that shit together but won't do band practice. Most people enjoy band rehearsals and view the gym as a necessary evil.

Comment

• lesfunk
                    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I’ll see what tonight’s YouTube brings me

Comment

• lesfunk
                      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

All true but in the room well worth $50 at Vegas prices.

As a 'normal' person I find it weird that Dave clearly must spend literally fucking dozens of hours in the gym to keep that shit together but won't do band practice. Most people enjoy band rehearsals and view the gym as a necessary evil.
                      Honestly I don’t enjoy either. But rehearsal is important when the stakes are high

Comment

• Baby's On Fire
                        Veteran
                        • May 2004

When Eddie dies from his cancer, the headlines will read: David Lee Roth killed Eddie Van Halen. It jut took him 13 year to do it. It wasn't the metal pick in hsi mouth. It was the DLR vocal frequency.

Absolutely fucking awful to try and listen to this.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Some things to consider on this especially if you are the Baby's On Fire character or similar.

Roth is a multi millionaire and doesn't need to do this. A bunch of people are happy to go along to his show and in the room loud it will sound way better than it does recorded on a phone beside a vocal monitor. Plus you will hopefully be a bit drunk and entering into a nostalgia that you aren't pushing 50 and likely to be dead soon enough.

If he wasn't playing then there would be a substantial amount of people complaining he wasn't like the Led Zep people.

I'm not saying in any way don't criticize but sometimes this is a bit like you are walking along and see an advertisement for piano lessons and you go home and call the number screaming down the line 'I DON'T WANT FUCKING PIANO LESSONS!'

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Honestly I don’t enjoy either. But rehearsal is important when the stakes are high
                            Really? I'm in 2 bands but it doesn't feed and clothe me so if I didn't enjoy rehearsals I don't think I would do it.

Comment

• Baby's On Fire
                              Veteran
                              • May 2004

Some things to consider on this especially if you are the Baby's On Fire character or similar.

Roth is a multi millionaire and doesn't need to do this. A bunch of people are happy to go along to his show and in the room loud it will sound way better than it does recorded on a phone beside a vocal monitor. Plus you will hopefully be a bit drunk and entering into a nostalgia that you aren't pushing 50 and likely to be dead soon enough.

If he wasn't playing then there would be a substantial amount of people complaining he wasn't like the Led Zep people.

I'm not saying in any way don't criticize but sometimes this is a bit like you are walking along and see an advertisement for piano lessons and you go home and call the number screaming down the line 'I DON'T WANT FUCKING PIANO LESSONS!'
                              Yeah I know. I agree. He doesn't need to do this. "Do this" means embarrass the fuck out of himself and destroy his awesome legacy. His ego won't allow him to go out on top.

What the fuck is wrong with this guy? He is the ultimate rock god, and is making a fool of himself.

He has many talents and an amazing lifestyle. And he chooses to pretend he is still Diamond Dave. He literally sounds like some guy off the street doing Karaoke on his own songs.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Baby's On Fire
                                Yeah I know. I agree. He doesn't need to do this. "Do this" means embarrass the fuck out of himself and destroy his awesome legacy. His ego won't allow him to go out on top.

What the fuck is wrong with this guy? He is the ultimate rock god, and is making a fool of himself.

He has many talents and an amazing lifestyle. And he chooses to pretend he is still Diamond Dave. He literally sounds like some guy off the street doing Karaoke on his own songs.
                                I think that's why you are so upset, you seem to still as a middle aged man worship him in a weird fanboy way. That makes you resent him inevitably not being as good as he once was now he is in his mid 60s.

Comment

Working...