What happened to this site?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Terry View Post
    It's been quite awhile since Dave did anything meaningful...at least in terms of anything new, which is how I'd define meaningful. Not since...the ADKOT album...where at least there were new lyrics written for the old demo tracks.

All I've heard new since then has been the Ain't No Sunshine At Christmas or whatever the name of that track was that got posted a year or so ago. Outside of that, Dave put his name to a tattoo wax and did a Vegas stint and several opening dates for KISS before covid shut down the tour...and the Vegas/KISS gigs were old tracks, a good chunk of which Roth had been playing with Van Halen since 2007.

With that track record of the last 13 years or so, it's just...fruitless to even be a fan of Dave in contemporary terms: he hasn't been doing much, and the pace isn't likely to accelerate anytime soon and probably not at all.

I'd agree that Van Halen are done. In essence, they've been done since 1999. The last few tours with Roth were a decent coda, in that at least Ed eventually got his shit together and got his chops back, and if nothing else that put a more positive finish on it than had the band called it quits after the 2004 tour.

I suppose there hasn't been a retirement announcement because the band are keeping their options open going forward, but the fact of the matter is Ed has had long term health issues which appear to be catching up with him in a bad way. I'd be surprised if the band does anything in terms of appearances going forward, much less a CVH reunion.

If Dave could keep quiet for 5 minutes and let a guest talk, he would make an excellent talk show host.

But no Diamond Dave horseshit. The real David Roth talking with guests.

Even better, he should do an adventure show documenting his travels to exotic and dangerous places, which I believe he still does. He went to Everest again a few years ago.

And he should finish that second book he started more than 10 years ago.

What is he waiting for?

It's not for me to question his life, but as Biden would say "C'mon man"

Comment

I'm wagering neither.
      Now that more people are posting, neither is fortunately the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Baby's On Fire View Post
        If Dave could keep quiet for 5 minutes and let a guest talk, he would make an excellent talk show host.

Even better, he should do an adventure show documenting his travels to exotic and dangerous places, which I believe he still does. He went to Everest again a few years ago.

What is he waiting for?

He's 65, extremely affluent, and enjoying semi-retirement. When every second of life is discretionary, there's no reason to care about those things. Besides, he already tells us everything he wants us to know he's doing through his Roth Show episodes.

Comment

Let's not forget though that times from a fan perspective have changed... significantly.

Back in their prime... and ours... the artists could turn out something new every 2-3 years and the time in between was filled with hundreds of other bands and entertainment options for us to fill the void our favorites left us. Today... rock-n-roll is a desert with few signs of life... surrounded by huge swaths of shit we have no interest in.

Then there's the 24/7/365 access to entertainment the internet has brought us. No longer a huge meal but you can snack all day and night for months on end. Then once we've binged all the good and decent stuff... we're bored, back on the hunt and wonder what has my hero done for me today, this hour, this minute..?

Come out of the haze of life... perched on the huge mountain of rock and roll debauchery stands a lone, giant majestic tree... still there... standing proud... growing a little slower but alive none the less... Welcome to the Roth Army!

Carry on...
          "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

Originally posted by Funkmonkey View Post
            Now that more people are posting, neither is fortunately the case.

Um...huh?
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Originally posted by Baby's On Fire View Post

What is he waiting for?

I dunno...it kinda matters not to me in terms of Dave DOING anything going forward, at least in terms of some of the avenues you mentioned.

Like, I'm not particularly interested in Roth being a talk show host - or even in Roth being interviewed at this point (what's he gonna say that we ain't heard already?) - or another autobiography.

I do like your idea of an adventure show documenting his travels, because that way you can get a combo of Roth gabbing along with footage of interesting locales and destination spots, as opposed to just an interview (Wacky Uncle Dave tends to ramble these days, tossing off multiple throwaway lines that aren't quite as amusing to me anymore vs. 1980s interviews...although Dave certainly never fails to amuse himself with his witticisms, as evidenced by his continual laughing at his own jokes).
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Originally posted by ZahZoo View Post

Back in their prime... and ours... the artists could turn out something new every 2-3 years and the time in between was filled with hundreds of other bands and entertainment options for us to fill the void our favorites left us. Today... rock-n-roll is a desert with few signs of life... surrounded by huge swaths of shit we have no interest in.
                ZZ just broke it down, folks. That's my new phrase right now (used in certain company, of course) "huge swaths of shit".

Comment

I dunno...it kinda matters not to me in terms of Dave DOING anything going forward, at least in terms of some of the avenues you mentioned.

Like, I'm not particularly interested in Roth being a talk show host - or even in Roth being interviewed at this point (what's he gonna say that we ain't heard already?) - or another autobiography.

I do like your idea of an adventure show documenting his travels, because that way you can get a combo of Roth gabbing along with footage of interesting locales and destination spots, as opposed to just an interview (Wacky Uncle Dave tends to ramble these days, tossing off multiple throwaway lines that aren't quite as amusing to me anymore vs. 1980s interviews...although Dave certainly never fails to amuse himself with his witticisms, as evidenced by his continual laughing at his own jokes).
                  It's been at least 10 years, but DLR said he was working on his next book: The Tao of Dave. Rock 'N' Roll Philosophy is what he said was the tentative title.

There is an interview somewhere (in print) where the reporter said he / she was at Dave's house and the manuscript was on his kitchen table because he was working about it.

I don't want to hear ramblings. I would love tp hear about non-music and non-entertainment adventures.

He has just as much of that in the tank as he did / does related to music.

Comment

Originally posted by ZahZoo View Post
                    Let's not forget though that times from a fan perspective have changed... significantly.

Then there's the 24/7/365 access to entertainment the internet has brought us. No longer a huge meal but you can snack all day and night for months on end. Then once we've binged all the good and decent stuff... we're bored, back on the hunt and wonder what has my hero done for me today, this hour, this minute..?

Come out of the haze of life... perched on the huge mountain of rock and roll debauchery stands a lone, giant majestic tree... still there... standing proud... growing a little slower but alive none the less... Welcome to the Roth Army!

Carry on...
                    Why factory towns were known to be the places to play was because the factory workers would get off their shift and go see a show and blow off some steam. It’s why Detroit and Cleveland were out on the rock and roll map. What changed is we have a rust belt and no factories anymore. Kind of like a mining town drying up. Yeah sure you can make music and throw it on the internet but there isn’t the money there once was. The illusion is gone. Kids used to start bands because they dreamed of getting discovered and getting a record deal. Sure some loved to play but the pussy, money and fast cars were all part of the deal.

What do people do for fun now? Troll each other online. That’s the new rock and roll. A different way to blow off steam. Spewing hate as colorful as possible is the current art form.
                    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

People tend to spend their time and money where they socialize... that's been a clear trend among humans going back to tribal days. Factories, shopping malls and many of the economic drivers of locations has shifted a lot... but the population densities has only shifted slightly. Used to be you would have to go somewhere to enjoy entertainment... now you can take it with you no matter where you are...

I find an odd pleasure in knowing this dirty little place we have here lurks in pockets and purses around the globe... just waiting to spring to life right before your naked steaming eyes with a tap of the screen... although it is somewhat unsettling to realize a high percentage of site visits probably occur while many of you are sitting on the toilet...

That's life, baby...
                      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

Wait I gotta..... ahhhh ....there we go. Now I can click Post Reply. ::flush::

Comment

Originally posted by speedtruckermf View Post
                          Good time to get my yearly post in. Been here since 2004. I got tired of people bitchin about how bad Dave is. On a Dave forum.
                          Is he really that bad ? After the Vegas shows I thought he was decent. Is it 1979 still ? Fuck no. I was just listening to a newer Guns & Roses show. Axholes vocals are simply brutal on 80% of it. Makes me wonder why Slash bothered going back. I guess $$$$$$. His band with Myles BLOWS Gun's away. I guess Axhole was never replaced by Hag so he gets a free pass. I could go on about 20 more singers past their prime. If it hurts your feelings so bad stay home....( Not directed at you ) lol

Comment

And you fools letting that cunt Krusty destroy this place for a decade is embarrassing as fuck.

Comment

Originally posted by 78/84 guy View Post
                              And you fools letting that cunt Krusty destroy this place for a decade is embarrassing as fuck.
                              Sorry but

a) She was banned for months and you didn't post anyway

b) More importantly you are doing that thing that people do all the fucking time about not understanding what free speech is. In 1998 this website was specifically set up to allow people to speak freely and not have posts edited deleted or people banned which was happening at the official VH site and the VHLinks site. You and most of the long term other posters here embraced this site for that.

Here is the thing - PROTECTING FREE SPEECH MEANS ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY NOTHING WHEN YOU AGREE WITH WHAT THEY ARE SAYING!

The problem is that social media made you soft. You got used to reading things you agreed with on Facebook because that is what it's for.

Fucking go back and read old threads and read the stuff that was said on here back in 2005 when you joined.

This site didn't change - you did.

Now whether we should have is a different argument but if you allowed some posts by Kristy to run you off then sorry but that's your problem you allowed yourself to be owned.

Comment

Men in their 50s who were so fucking offended by a poster saying things on the internet that 'destroyed' the site.

Give me some examples of things that melted you snowflake boy...

The best thing about this is that it's all still here. We pay hundreds of $ so that it's all still there. Quote the posts that embarrassed you away crazy ass mofo.

Comment

Working...
                                X