EVH News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Right. Plus every time I bought a ticket to a VH show Ed showed up and played well. What more do you want? Shit. Ed could be posting videos pimping EVH shit and bragging about how great it is. Naw. Let Sam do that. We don’t need another carnival barker on the internet.
    Thinking back, through most of the period when CVH was active, I don't really recall even hearing Edward talk during those years. Doubtless there are archival interviews of him in the late 1970s/early 1980s when he talked, but I don't have any memory of seeing/hearing any of that stuff at the time.

I read as many print interviews of Ed's as I could back then, but virtually all of it was from Guitar Player magazine, or Guitar For The Practicing Musician or Guitar World.

I think I may have read one interview each from Mike Anthony and Alex Van Halen, and those were from one of the guitar mags and Modern Drummer. I don't recall having seen an interview where I heard either of those guys talk during the bulk of the CVH years, though doubtless like Ed both of them were surely interviewed at some point on camera talking during the CVH years.

The first time I really remember hearing Ed, Alex and Mike talk was on a MTV Van Halen special after Hagar joined, where they were each individually interviewed.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Right. Plus every time I bought a ticket to a VH show Ed showed up and played well. What more do you want? Shit. Ed could be posting videos pimping EVH shit and bragging about how great it is. Naw. Let Sam do that. We don’t need another carnival barker on the internet.
      I have an old bootleg dvd around somewhere that has a bunch of CVH promo appearances - many of them overseas in Japan or Europe or South America - where CVH were miming performing to studio tracks for whatever single they were pushing, and I'm sure the hosts of those shows must have asked all of the band some questions on some of those clips...but I didn't see any of those clips back when CVH was active.

I mean, Van Halen didn't even get put into heavy rotation on MTV until the 1984 promo videos came out, and the few CVH MTV specials I saw back then were mostly Roth-centric: Roth WAS the voice of the band back then, and certainly the main interview subject back in the CVH days.
      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

And, overall, the interviews I have read of Ed's in the various guitar mags (mostly Guitar World for the last 30 years)...like, when Ed isn't specifically talking about whatever gear he is selling or the music he is making...the guy really doesn't have much to say of interest outside of that stuff. I mean, I suppose he had some interesting stuff to say when I enjoyed reading the mudslinging between Ed and Dave, and later Ed and Sam - when I was enjoying the whole soap opera - but once I no longer gave a shit about the soap opera (plus, I have plenty of adequate non-EVH guitar gear, so I don't have any interest in whatever EVH gear Ed is pushing) Ed's non-music oriented comments weren't things I much cared to hear about.

Things like his nonsensical reasons for chucking Anthony out of the band, or his bizarre claims that he had to show Anthony everything he played, or that Ed's backing vocals were more important than Anthony's, or that he got cancer from chewing on a metal guitar pick...all the blather he has uttered post-2000 during the years he went off his nut on a Smoking Loon/crystal meth binge and beyond...yeesh.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Ed didn’t talk much when Dave was in the band. He never talked on stage and he never did interviews other than the guitar magazine ones. I think Ed might have gotten some bogus coke laced with meth. He went off the wagon big time and drinkers love coke. Whatever it was it was more than just booze. I was expecting to hear that Ed was dead in those days. He was riding the fast crazy train to the graveyard and looked like a corpse to boot.
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

In light of this recent, re-hashed to make new, Eddie news....I do find it interesting Dave hasn't done a Roth show clip and hasn't done any radio interviews plugging his Vegas gigs.
            =V V=
            ole No.1 The finest
            EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

Ed didn’t talk much when Dave was in the band. He never talked on stage and he never did interviews other than the guitar magazine ones. I think Ed might have gotten some bogus coke laced with meth. He went off the wagon big time and drinkers love coke. Whatever it was it was more than just booze. I was expecting to hear that Ed was dead in those days. He was riding the fast crazy train to the graveyard and looked like a corpse to boot.
              Ah yes, Eddie's hobo era 2003-2005.
              =V V=
              ole No.1 The finest
              EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

Originally posted by Terry View Post
                ... he got cancer from chewing on a metal guitar pick...
                Eddie Van Halen thinks he developed cancer from sucking on
                metal guitar picks, but a doctor says this probably isn't true

The guitarist lost a third of his tongue due to mouth cancer in 2000, and is now reportedly receiving treatment for cancerous cells in his throat.
                Originally posted by sadaist
                I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

Comment

The funny thing was, the more Ed started to talk after Dave left in terms of giving interviews, the less I wanted to hear from him.

Even in the guitar mag interviews as the 1990s dawned, he'd piss and moan about Nirvana, other guitarists who had the temerity to say that Ace Frehley (and not Ed) inspired them to pick up the guitar, what an asshole Dave was, what an asshole Sammy was...

That's why, for me, it's preferable if Ed doesn't speak, because it reminds me of when I liked him best and what I liked him for: that high-energy, innovative rock guitar playing, the sound of which always elicited positive emotions from me. When Ed talks, it's actually a buzzkill.
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Shit, that whole 2003-2006 period, I was half-expecting the guy was gonna drop dead any moment.

I remember watching clips of the NAMM show appearance he made in late 2006, just before it was confirmed that Roth was working with the band again, and Ed turned in such a disjointed appearance...at points barely able to play close to what had been considered standard or par/normal for him.

He started off playing pretty well on the 2007 leg of the reunion tour, but he appeared to have relapsed early into the 2008 leg: he was having trouble playing the set 5 months into the tour at a point where that far into the tour, if anything, Ed should have been improving. I seem to recall post-tour he claimed he was having arthritis-related issues with his hands and underwent treatment for it, but at the 2008 Tampa gig he just plain looked drunk: his solo spot late into the show was just embarrassing, and the majority of the arena was silent watching him trying to conjure up the speed and brilliance which used to come to him so easily...and failing.

Fortunately, he got his shit together in a big way by the time 2012 rolled around: the Tampa gig I saw from the ADKOT tour was spectacular. In 2008, Roth carried the show. In 2012, Ed carried it.
                    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Originally posted by silverfish View Post
                      Eddie Van Halen thinks he developed cancer from sucking on
                      metal guitar picks, but a doctor says this probably isn't true

https://www.insider.com/eddie-van-ha...r-pick-2019-10
                      Michael Douglas said he got oral cancer from eating pussy. I’m not kidding.

Comment

Get the facts about STDs, including symptoms and treatments, plus information on erectile dysfunction and other common sexual problems.

Stay away from the pussy and metal guitar picks!

Comment

Maybe Catherine Zeta-Jones puts metal guitar picks in her pussy?
                          Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Terry View Post
                              Thinking back, through most of the period when CVH was active, I don't really recall even hearing Edward talk during those years. Doubtless there are archival interviews of him in the late 1970s/early 1980s when he talked, but I don't have any memory of seeing/hearing any of that stuff at the time.

I read as many print interviews of Ed's as I could back then, but virtually all of it was from Guitar Player magazine, or Guitar For The Practicing Musician or Guitar World.

I think I may have read one interview each from Mike Anthony and Alex Van Halen, and those were from one of the guitar mags and Modern Drummer. I don't recall having seen an interview where I heard either of those guys talk during the bulk of the CVH years, though doubtless like Ed both of them were surely interviewed at some point on camera talking during the CVH years.

The first time I really remember hearing Ed, Alex and Mike talk was on a MTV Van Halen special after Hagar joined, where they were each individually interviewed.
                              Back during CVH days... a Long time ago... in a galaxy far, far away... The only place you could hear Ed, Alex, Mike or Dave was predominately on the radio. That would be your local radio station if you lived in an area with a VH tour stop and the guys were willing to do a radio spot. You'd get a few minutes of nonsense and no in-depth content beyond boiling strings, trashing hotel rooms, and other sorted shenanigans.

Not a lot was shared nationally via radio unless it was some syndicated program like Red Beard or Dr Dimento's Flower Power Hour or crap like that...

MTV launched in 81... but I don't recall any VH interviews until the 96 Roth reunion meltdown... Ed first appeared on Letterman in 1984, back when Shaffer still had hair... but didn't do an interview...

"If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

Via VHND FB page: EVH seen at a McLaren dealership

"I've had a bad week, so please indulge me in this gushing post.
                                I love my job. I love the cars, I love my co-workers and I love the clients.
                                Admittedly, I've had more than my share of cool things that I've done in my life.
                                Co-worker: "Sue, today you got to make out with a rockstar." 😅 Yes... I...did! 🤯
                                Today will forever be the day I kissed...
                                Eddie Van Halen!!! 💋
                                My mom wouldn't let me go see them when I was 14, so it only took 35 years for the universe to right that wrong.
                                Absolutely the sweetest guy--with a twinkle in his eye.❤️ I told him that today he made me the coolest kid in high school. 🤣. Never in my... wildest... dreams.
                                Eddie, you have no idea how much you made my day. Thank you for just being you. 💕

From Susan Dion's Instagram, here: https://bit.ly/2N0WDHP
                                Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

Working...
                                X