X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
    Context is important in recognition - at a gig in LA standing beside Wolfgang I think you would recognize him.
    Within that context, possibly, but even then only because I'm probably more than an average fan in terms of - from what I'd guess - the majority of people who have been attending Van Halen concerts over the last ten years are, where even just via this site I've seen more recent photos of Ed and Wolfgang than most of said majority: I'd tend to doubt most of those people if they saw Wolfgang by himself in line at a Starbucks would even give him a second glance in terms of recognition.

And even with Eddie, in terms of memory, even though most know he doesn't look that way anymore Eddie is likely forever remembered with the long, black rock star hair and that youthful grin. What Eddie looks like now (hell, even what Eddie has looked like going back as far as 1996) doesn't jibe with what my memory immediately conjures up, which is something more along the lines of 1978 through 1993, if that makes any sense.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Baby's On Fire
      Eddie does not look good at all. He doesn't look any worse than any other chain-smoking, life-long alcoholics. But he does not look healthy in any context.

64 is not old. Not even close. He looks rough.

Dave looks rough in terms of wear and tear on the face, and some of that is likely due to being outdoors all his life. But he is in better shape than the rest of them put together.

EVH probably can barely climb a flight of stairs. DLR still climbs in the Himalayan mountains. Only well conditioned people can even try that.

Bass Player looks better than all the other 3 put together as far as his face reflects his age, because he didn't trash the fuck out of himself for 40 + years. But I doubt he can climb more than a few flights of stairs.

You can look good and not be fit. You can be very fit but look old on the outside. You can be both. You can be neither.

In the case of EVH, he looks rough outside and is obviously rough inside. You don't trash the fuck out of yourself for 40 years or more and be healthy suddenly.

I cant stand people saying "he looks healthy". He does not look healthy and he is not healthy. That doesn't mean hes gonna drop dead, but he is not a heathy person.
      He looks about what I'd expect from a 64 year old guy with a history of chain smoking, drink and whatever other substances he has imbibed. Truth be told, there's plenty of 64 year old dudes who look the same or worse having never abused alcohol or smoked.

I mean, I remember the interview Ed and Al gave in the wake of the 1996 VMA deal, and I recall thinking at the time Ed didn't look particularly well then, either. Nor was he looking well during the VHIII years, nor was he looking good in the photos of him playing golf in 2001. Looked pretty fucked up on the 2004 tour, and was looking dreadful all the way through mid-2007. It appeared he got cleaned up prior to the 2007 tour (got his chompers cleaned, got a haircut, got a tan), but even at the press conference announcing the 2007 tour he looked thin and unsteady on his feet.

He looked a bit off in the Tattoo promo video and his face looked slightly bloated on the 2012 tour (sort of moon-faced). By the time 2016 rolled around, Ed just plain looked grizzled.

He is a grizzled old dude.

Roth looks fit. To be sure, Roth also looks every bit of his age in terms of the lines on his face, but Roth looks and acts fit. Far fitter than I'm going to look in 15 years if I live that long.
      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• private parts
        Sniper
        • Jan 2007

Ed (or Wolf) obviously trying to tell us something.

Im OK.JPG
        sigpic" You ever notice when I scream I sound like Mr. Bill on acid" DLR

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
          Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by private parts

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17154[/ATTACH]
          Like what??

I don't see anything other than a family photo.
          =V V=
          ole No.1 The finest
          EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• So this is love
            Veteran
            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
            Like what??

Ok I`ll bite, mom and pop are back together and Dave is out of the band again... lol!
            Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• twonabomber
              formerly F A T
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by private parts

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17154[/ATTACH]
              Val's off the Jenny Craig?
              Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

And no Dave podcasts anymore. Isn't it great to be a =VH= fan?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk
                Roth Army Icon
                First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• Terry
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra

I really can't even say I'm what would be defined as a current fan of Van Halen...because on balance the last 22 years have had more downs than ups for me.

While I still hold what the band did up to and including 1984 in very high esteem or regard:

a) I didn't have any particular use for the vast bulk of the Van Hagar material, save for perhaps a 1/2 dozen Sam Halen tracks on a purely instrumental level

b) I didn't have any particular use for the Van Halen III material: a few ideas scattered throughout the album that perhaps would have benefitted with a strong producer suggesting the ideas be worked on some more, along with not giving Ed control over how the album was engineered and mixed

c) I don't have any use for the EVH line of guitar gear

d) I didn't have any use for the new tracks of BOBW

e) I don't really have an interest in what Ed is up to when he isn't playing guitar

So, basically since 1995 I have enjoyed:

1) the two Roth BOV1 tracks

2) the ADKOT album

3) hearing the band play the CVH material on the last three tours...more or less (a bit less with regard to Dave's vocals)

It'd be hard to imagine my not having an interest if Roth were to record or perform with the band, but having an interest isn't to be confused with particularly hoping that they do, or feeling disappointed if they never do again.
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra

And I'm not...really sure if Dave has much left to bring to the table for me anymore, either...

I mean, I can't say as Roth hiring a new bunch of musicians and doing a House of Blues residency where he is doing CVH material...it all seems...it's not even more of the same in terms of what Roth has been doing the last 12 years, because the difference is now Roth isn't even performing the tunes with the Van Halens.

My reaction would doubtless be less "meh" if Dave were doing this with, say, the EEAS band. Or even if Dave had got Luzier back into the fold, maybe along with John 5, or Brian...and Roth was willing to give some of his lesser known deep cut solo material a live airing along with the predictable CVH stuff. As is, this just looks a bit too safe and predictable for me to get enthused...certainly not enthused enough to trek to Vegas to see it although were Roth playing somewhere closer to home I could imagine going for a few drinks and a few chuckles.

Like, what Roth was trying to do in Vegas in 1995 was sort of reinvent himself and redress his image. From all appearances, THIS Vegas stint smacks of CVH nostalgia cabaret, minus the attraction of Roth doing it with the Van Halens.

I suppose none of it really matters, but...it's just odd to think of Van Halen and Roth in terms of neither of them really mattering. Mostly because those guys to me represented the pinnacle of rock back in the early 1980s when rock really mattered to me the most. I suppose I should just lower the expectations I have from them with age (lord knows both Roth AND the Van Halens have given me plenty of reasons post-1985 TO lower my expectations), but, then again, why the fuck should I settle for less?

I guess my problem is that when I hear the 6 pack, the stuff still moves me as much as it ever did, whereas a lot of what Roth and the Van Halens have done in the last twenty five years hasn't. I guess my problem is I liked the band and the music TOO much back in the CVH days, to the point where whatever Roth and the Van Halens have done post-1985 has (by and large) fallen short...and I'm just still not willing to shrug my shoulders and accept a lesser result from any of those guys without criticism or complaint.

In particular, I think Ed squandered his talents more and more with each passing year after Dave left in 1985, and definitely since the Van Halen III lineup folded. Doubtless health issues, personal issues and the like were obstacles, but Ed just...he grew content to do nothing and live off the spectacular guitar work he regularly turned out back in the day. Definitely made complacent by his own success.
                    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
                      Like what??

That's really what life's all about... family.

A truly, happy moment such as what's captured there beats the shit out of any cheer leading jumps off a drum riser in spandex any day... every day!
                      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

I thought it was more than just alcohol and chemical substances. Ed seemed like he had some sort of mental illness. He really seemed like one of those fucked up homeless paranoid schizophrenics running around on the streets. At that time Ed was really a 5150. He was a dangerous lunatic on the loose.
                        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
                          Val's off the Jenny Craig?
                          I wonder if Ed is making like Spinal Tap and pounding Val’s big bottom? Ed’s wife Janie keeps posting tweets of her and her young Latin dance instructor. Ha! Young dance instructors, tennis instructors, meditation instructors and personal trainers get more ass than a toilet seat. Maybe Ed got hungry for that old time recipe and started pounding Val’s pouncake again. Maybe he got his drill out and drilled Vallerie with a jelly dildo attachment. Thinking about jelly made Vallerie squirt because jelly is a food item. Thinking about fettuccini Alfredo sends her into multiple orgasms.

Comment

• Baby's On Fire
                            Veteran
                            • May 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                            I wonder if Ed is making like Spinal Tap and pounding Val’s big bottom? Ed’s wife Janie keeps posting tweets of her and her young Latin dance instructor. Ha! Young dance instructors, tennis instructors, meditation instructors and personal trainers get more ass than a toilet seat. Maybe Ed got hungry for that old time recipe and started pounding Val’s pouncake again. Maybe he got his drill out and drilled Vallerie with a jelly dildo attachment. Thinking about jelly made Vallerie squirt because jelly is a food item. Thinking about fettuccini Alfredo sends her into multiple orgasms.

How old are you? Which is lower: Your age or IQ?

Show some class. Try hard.

Comment

• Bloomington
                              Roth Army Recruit
                              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Baby's On Fire
                              How old are you? Which is lower: Your age or IQ?

Show some class. Try hard.
                              That is unusual for him to post things like that. Most of the time he just lies about things he has and has done.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

Nothing that you wouldn’t hear on Howard Stern or be a subject in a Hollywierd movie. Please. Stop being prudes. I just hope Sammy Hagar doesn’t steal the subject matter for The Circle’s new song Up for Breakfast II.

Comment

Working...