X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Warham
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Rikk
    I'm not a HUGE fan by any measure...but I think it's a joke that Idol hasn't been nominated. He's a huge figure, was a massive star and has influenced a ton of people.
    I love the guy. There was a time in the 90s when I pretty much took my fashion cues from him, including the hair.

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Rikk
      I'm not a HUGE fan by any measure...but I think it's a joke that Idol hasn't been nominated. He's a huge figure, was a massive star and has influenced a ton of people.
      There was a point I remember and I did check it at the time although it's probably not true any more, where Billy Idol had more Best Of albums out than albums which is pretty amazing.

Comment

• Warham
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Mar 2004

Na, he had Vital Idol that was 1985 and re-released in 1987. “Mony, Mony” hit #1 that year.
        Best Of was 1988 and Europe only
        Best Of (different version) in 2001. Had “Don’t You Forget About Me” cover.
        Idolize Yourself was 2008. Had two new songs.

He’s had 7 studio albums, a Christmas album, and several EPs.
        Last edited by Warham; 02-11-2024, 09:07 PM.

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by twonabomber
          O'Connor is an obvious make-up nomination and now that she's dead they don't have to deal with her issues. And whoever inducts her will probably play a song that isn't even hers!
          To be fair she did have more than one song but you guys wouldn't know that because she was completely and utterly cancelled in the US for accusing the catholic church of having a pedophile problem 10 years before it was proved.

She was also a bit fucking crazy but that's also why she did it.

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Warham
            Na, he had Vital Idol that was 1985 and re-released in 1987. “Mony, Mony” hit #1 that year.
            Best Of was 1988 and Europe only
            Best Of in 2001. Had “Don’t You Forget About Me” cover.
            Idolize Yourself was 2008. Had two new songs.

He’s had 7 studio albums, a Christmas album, and several EPs.
            Oh don't make me do this it's too much work.

I think it was in the early 1990s but there was a time. I'll maybe take the time to check. Of course it could be a false memory but I don't think so.

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

There we go -

At the moment it's 7-7.

Comment

• Warham
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Mar 2004

He had a span between 1993 and 2005 where he really didn’t do much.

The actual career he’s had speaks for itself. Chart success (four top ten hits), one of the early MTV icons, had platinum albums and had always been one of the coolest looking rock stars ever. He also has done the best cover of “Jump” by anyone.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I'm not knocking him I like his best work and have covered it at various times in bands. Nothing wrong with quality over quantity.

Comment

• Warham
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Mar 2004

I like how he emphasized having songs with good basslines and didn’t think it was a sin to make his material dance friendly. He knew where he could pick up an audience when he moved to NY. I think that’s where he differed from many of his punk contemporaries, especially after he went solo after Generation X.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

He could also write a good song unlike most of his punk contemporaries.

Comment

• Warham
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Mar 2004

Sorry I turned this into an Idol thread. I don’t really talk about him as much as I would like.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

This thread appears every year and everyone gets annoyed - I think the problem is that they need to change the name to the 'Modern Music Hall of Fame'.

Most of it isn't Rock (N Roll) and hasn't been for a long time...

Comment

• Warham
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Mar 2004

I do think groups like Public Enemy and NWA should be in a Hall of Fame. I’m just not sure it should be the RRHOF. But that bridge has already been crossed.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I think the Grammys are actually even worse although for some reason seem to be more respected.

Beyoncé and Jay-Z have won 56 Grammys between them.

Queen, Guns N' Roses, Abba, Van Halen and The Who have none. Zero. Zilch.

Comment

• Warham
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Mar 2004

The Grammys have been a joke since the 60s. “Good Vibrations” didn’t win for 1966 recording of the year even though it’s the greatest #1 single of all-time.

Comment

Working...