X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Rikk
    What about the one-off side album, JUDAH AND THE PUSSYCATS (the Pussycats but let by Gary Cherone instead of the usually ever-present Josie)? It was a side-band that sold pairs of album!!
    Like, put it this way...

I've liked the band X since I first heard them in the early 80s. LA punk band, released their first records in the late 1970s. First 4 or so albums were just...just great, great stuff.

They got some notoriety but were never super-famous or anything approaching that...MAYBE a couple of their albums eventually went platinum literally a decade or more after their initial release.

Point being, I have no idea if the band are in the Hall Of Fame or ever will be or whatever, and their inclusion (or lack thereof) has zero bearing on how I feel about their music. Does anyone seriously need the Hall Of Fame to include a band they like? Does said inclusion actually increase the enjoyment level of listening to the band one iota?

I dunno...I remember the hub-bub over KISS and the Hall Of Fame, like, a decade back or so. And fans saying the band should be in there and should have been in there years ago, blah blah blah. And I just remember not giving a single shit nor being able to understand why anyone else would. And I used to like KISS, so it wasn't a case of me never having had any use for the band ever. It was the same thing when...say...I recall a similar thing about Judas Priest not being in the Hall Of Fame. I liked Judas Priest just fine and couldn't have cared less one way or the other if the band were in there or not.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• So this is love
      Veteran
      • Jan 2012

They should rename the RRHOF the Music HOF and most people wouldn't have a problem with the rap and country nominees. The fact it is called the RNR HOF is the problem, at least for me...
      Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• twonabomber
        formerly F A T
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by So this is love
        They should rename the RRHOF the Music HOF and most people wouldn't have a problem with the rap and country nominees. The fact it is called the RNR HOF is the problem, at least for me...
        Every time a non-rock act is inducted, there is a backlash. Then there are the people who defend that induction, saying stuff like "well, it all feeds back into itself" and "they were influenced by" etc. Usually by writers who are fans of said inductee.

There was a younger writer who worked for the daily paper here who would do that. He would also write articles about what shows we had needed to see in the 80's...when he was maybe ten years old...and didn't even live in Cleveland. It's like he would raid Jane Scott's notebooks. Jane Scott was a rock writer for the same paper FOREVER and was deemed to be the end all be all. I'd read his articles about shows I'd been to and always remembered it differently. He would also run articles about who should be in the HOF, one band was Pavement. Ever heard of Pavement? Me, neither.

"You can't please everyone all the time" applies to the Rock Hall.
        Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• So this is love
          Veteran
          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by twonabomber
          Every time a non-rock act is inducted, there is a backlash. Then there are the people who defend that induction, saying stuff like "well, it all feeds back into itself" and "they were influenced by" etc. Usually by writers who are fans of said inductee.

There was a younger writer who worked for the daily paper here who would do that. He would also write articles about what shows we had needed to see in the 80's...when he was maybe ten years old...and didn't even live in Cleveland. It's like he would raid Jane Scott's notebooks. Jane Scott was a rock writer for the same paper FOREVER and was deemed to be the end all be all. I'd read his articles about shows I'd been to and always remembered it differently. He would also run articles about who should be in the HOF, one band was Pavement. Ever heard of Pavement? Me, neither.

"You can't please everyone all the time" applies to the Rock Hall.
          I fully understand the subjectivity involved in the choices made and the RRHOF is probably a for-profit organization, which I am too lazy to verify but each year when I see the nominees, I feel less and less like the targeted audience. Maybe I am getting too old...My wife told me 57 was the new 37 lol
          Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

The real hall of fame is how many fans you have.
            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Conflict creates great art. I'm pretty sure Stewart Copeland wasn't referring to Andy Summers

Stewart is great. I had the privilege of meeting him a few years ago and he couldn’t have been nicer.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Duran Duran aren't doing Chauffeur this tour, but they opened with Night Boat and played Friends Of Mine later in the set. First album well represented.

My friend's kid is way into Green Day, I tell him go back and dig into the '80's punk.
                Some great bass playing on DD songs. Love the bass lines on Rio.

Comment

• Rikk
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                  Stewart is great. I had the privilege of meeting him a few years ago and he couldn’t have been nicer.
                  I play drums. Got a recording studio in my basement. While I am officially the vocalist for the songs I write/record with my band, I usually do the Phil Collins thing and lay down the drums before the other guys do bass, guitars, sometimes keyboards (which I do too)...

I can play all sorts of drums and sometimes try to emulate players I enjoy...

...but the one guy I never even TRY to emulate in any way is Stewart Copeland.

The guy is simply too amazing to even try and emulate.

I hear rock fans always go on and on about Neil Peart...and with good reason...

...but the guy (to me) who is BEYOND amazing and yet makes it sound so easy (even though it's not remotely easy) is Stewart Copeland.

The man is a GOD on drums. Talk about being born with a gift.

I thought The Police's reunion tour was a competent, excellent return by a great band. My girlfriend (now wife) & I thoroughly enjoyed the show we saw. But the band were clearly in it for the money. It was a little too laid-back, a little too Sting-a-fied play-the-songs-and-go...

...and yet I still spent the night marveling at how amazing Stewart was. Even if the band were doing some kinda laid-back versions of some of the songs, Stewart was simply amazing.
                  Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                  Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• twonabomber
                    formerly F A T
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I thought The Police's reunion tour was a competent, excellent return by a great band. My girlfriend (now wife) & I thoroughly enjoyed the show we saw. But the band were clearly in it for the money. It was a little too laid-back, a little too Sting-a-fied play-the-songs-and-go...

...and yet I still spent the night marveling at how amazing Stewart was. Even if the band were doing some kinda laid-back versions of some of the songs, Stewart was simply amazing.
                    The songs were mostly done the way Sting played them with his solo band. My friend said "hey, that's different!" and if you had ever seen Sting solo, it really wasn't.

I remember standing in line for the tickets. A couple had gotten to the Ticketmaster outlet before I did, and we were talking about Sting's music. The guy brought up the lute album and some of the later solo records and I'm thinking "this show might not be for you" lol because there wasn't gonna be any of that shit.

The Police show here in 2007 was on Stewart Copeland's birthday. The VH show a few months later was on Dave's birthday.

I picked up Copeland's Police Deranged For Orchestra but haven't listened to it yet.

Copeland has some good stuff on his YouTube, that drum program he did on the BBC was good.
                    Last edited by twonabomber; 09-24-2023, 10:41 AM.
                    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Terry
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

I watched a bunch of stuff from the reunion tour - maybe it was a documentary...I can't remember now - and did notice the arrangements had been changed. I kinda gave The Police a pass on it because they hadn't been retiring and unretiring for decades, and history since has thus far proved that to in fact be a one-off reunion tour. One tune on the reunion tour that really stood out to me re: rearranging was Synchronicity II, which sounded a bit too manned on the reunion tour for my tastes. There were a couple other tunes I recall being more than a bit reconstituted and am assuming it was all a bit more laid back simply because the band itself was 25 years older and a bit too long in the tooth to blitz the tunes out energy-wise in the manner that they had a quarter-century older.

But, again, the band did the one-off reunion and didn't keep flogging it into the ground. A classy way to go about it. Doubtless one gets the sense that Copeland and Summers would like to have done more, but The Police were ultimately smart in that they went out on top and didn't stay too long at the party.
                      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Kristy
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

...but the guy (to me) who is BEYOND amazing and yet makes it sound so easy (even though it's not remotely easy) is Stewart Copeland.
                        The only drummer that Neil Whathisface stole from. To meeeeeeeeeeeee his best playing was not with that fuckface ego-tripping puke Stung but when he formed Animal Logic. Seeing (and reiterating) that I am so much cooler than all of you cretins I recommend you pick up an Animal Logic album if you can find them. (Been out of print for years)

Fault with Animal Logic they weren't not only fucking boring, they are awful to take drugs to. I am at the point in my life where I solely base a band's worth and merit if I enjoy doing various drugs to their music. Animal Logic is not one of them.

Comment

• Kristy
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Now, you cretins may be asking, "Well, fuck me like a goose in a hot oven, Kristy. Just what is a good Copeland tune-ish I can take my (expensive) drugs to and not worry about looking like a dick in the process?"

Here ya go:

The shit I do for you cretins. I swear.

Comment

• Rikk
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

The songs were mostly done the way Sting played them with his solo band. My friend said "hey, that's different!" and if you had ever seen Sting solo, it really wasn't.
                            Yeah, it still was a really good show. I also ALWAYS enjoy when bands jam on things and play around with them...NOT just redoing the songs EXACTLY like the studio versions. (For example, I really like AIN'T TALKIN' 'BOUT LOVE in particular on the TOKYO DOME live album because they really jam it out and don't just re-create the studio version.)

I picked up Copeland's Police Deranged For Orchestra but haven't listened to it yet.
                            I've heard good things about that release. Been meaning to pick it up.

Originally posted by Terry
                            I watched a bunch of stuff from the reunion tour - maybe it was a documentary...
                            The documentary that comes with the Buenos Aires Blu-Ray is really cool. Lots of behind the scenes shit with some tension and everything. Just really cool to see. (It's amazing how much better The Police were than Van Halen when it comes to having a TON of professionally-shot footage and documentaries. Stewart's DOES EVERYONE STARE documentary, all shot from his personal 8mm film collection and with instrumental/merge tracks from the band's multitrack tapes is really cool.)

But, again, the band did the one-off reunion and didn't keep flogging it into the ground. A classy way to go about it. Doubtless one gets the sense that Copeland and Summers would like to have done more, but The Police were ultimately smart in that they went out on top and didn't stay too long at the party.
                            I think Summers would have done more...but EVERYTHING Copeland says about the reunion is that he's glad he did it, he's glad that a lot of fans who never had a chance before got to see the band...but he's happy to just be friends with Sting and Andy without having to slog through difficult tours with them.

I really wanted a reunion album...even if it were The Police doing modern Sting material...but I knew it was never going to happen.

I'm just happy. I saw The Police. Awesome (I was 7 when SYNCHRONICITY came out). It was cool hearing some of the arrangements of songs I love like BRING ON THE NIGHT. I got a great Blu-Ray/live album (with documentary) out of it that I've enjoyed a few times. And, to this day, I still have a TON of great concert footage, documentaries and other stuff from their classic years. Not only are there a ton of official releases, there are at least 15 or more professionally-shot concerts (in GREAT quality) that fans can enjoy on YouTube. I've downloaded them all and made a great Blu-Ray series out of them for my home theater.
                            Roth Army Militia

Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Kristy
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

I watched a bunch of stuff from the reunion tour - maybe it was a documentary...I can't remember now - and did notice the arrangements had been changed.
                              Stung is such a cock. Their producer on Synchronsuckity Hugh Padgham speaks in endless stories of how much Stung and Copeland argured so much he called the suits at A&M trying to get out of his contract on working on the album. Hugh spoke of how cock smock Stung would have Hugh erase of lot of Copeland's drum tracks simply because he thought they were "absolute shit."

Comment

• Rikk
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
                                The only drummer that Neil Whathisface stole from. To meeeeeeeeeeeee his best playing was not with that fuckface ego-tripping puke Stung but when he formed Animal Logic. Seeing (and reiterating) that I am so much cooler than all of you cretins I recommend you pick up an Animal Logic album if you can find them. (Been out of print for years)

Fault with Animal Logic they weren't not only fucking boring, they are awful to take drugs to. I am at the point in my life where I solely base a band's worth and merit if I enjoy doing various drugs to their music. Animal Logic is not one of them.
                                I have to say...I went into it with an open mind but I just don't hear it. Stewart has played much better on songs like WRAPPED AROUND YOUR FINGER and ONE WORLD (NOT THREE). (That said, the bass player is seriously good.) But you're right...it's not a great song...not the worst thing I've ever heard, but not great.

Maybe I should have taken some drugs to this. Well, I had back surgery and I'm still in some real pain, so I actually did take a Norco this morning...but the song isn't enhancing the experience.
                                Roth Army Militia

Comment

Working...