X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mushroom
    Commando
    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Rikk

It's like the Scorpions...a buddy of mine told me that I should stop associating them with ROCK YOU LIKE A HURRICANE and check out their earlier stuff. I've always said I hate them...but one of these days, I will check out their EARLIER stuff and give them a fairer judgment.

I used to make fun of UFO...then I heard their 70s stuff with Michael Schenker and realized that there is some great material there.
    If you want to ease into Scorps, start with Lovedrive. That’s where Michael Schenker came back to bridge the gap from Uli John Roth to Matthias Jabs. Animal Magnetism is a solid record beginning to end.

Comment

• Rikk
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mushroom
      If you want to ease into Scorps, start with Lovedrive. That’s where Michael Schenker came back to bridge the gap from Uli John Roth to Matthias Jabs. Animal Magnetism is a solid record beginning to end.
      Thanks. I'll take you up on that. I'll check that out, for sure.

Lots of bands have good periods and bad periods:

Fleetwood Mac...I MUCH prefer their Peter Green-era (the earlier, blues-influenced stuff) to anything that came after. But there's good stuff during the Bob Welch era. And the first three albums with Buckingham are solid. But once Fleetwood Mac got into the 80s, they are so fucking cheesy. It would be hard to name ONE song Fleetwood Mac did after TUSK that I can say I really, really like.

I also hate Stevie Nicks. Hearing about her throwing Buckingham out of the band...what a joke. Stevie Nicks is like FABULOUS SHADOW. Tons of weight and just never shuts up.
      Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
      Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Catfish
        Sniper
        • Jan 2004

Stevie Nicks is bullshit. The most overrated performer ever. Shitty, nasally singing, ugly, only had a job because everyone in the band fucked her. One needs no further evidence of the RRHOF being horseshit than Stevie Nicks being in as a solo artist. What impact did she make without Buckingham standing next to her? How many hits did she have besides the Stand Back song?

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Catfish
          Stevie Nicks is bullshit. The most overrated performer ever. Shitty, nasally singing, ugly, only had a job because everyone in the band fucked her. One needs no further evidence of the RRHOF being horseshit than Stevie Nicks being in as a solo artist. What impact did she make without Buckingham standing next to her? How many hits did she have besides the Stand Back song?
          I never really bought a ticket on the Stevie Nicks train in terms of her being one of the all-time greats or whatever.

What she did worked well enough for me within the context of Fleetwood Mac, when she had the rest of the band and other voices to balance her out. Some of her earlier solo stuff was good, like off her first two solo albums. She was mildly alluring before she started bloating up in the latter 1980's ... alluring in that California, coked-out, witchy ballerina wanna-be persona. Definitely had a distinctive, throaty voice coupled with that mystical fairy princess lyrical babble. Her whole schtick was played out for me by the time Tango In The Night came out.
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

AND...we talk about all these cheesy arena rock bands with cheesier material...and the big question is:

Where does Van Hagar fit into all this?

I won't even claim I hate every single Van Hagar song. I have ALWAYS maintained that there's sort of unspoken rule on this (still amazing) forum that nobody is allowed to ever say anything good about anything Van Hagar ever did. But I've always suspected that there are songs that some of our members here secretly like.

I may have started the Sheep Pen, but I have no need to lie. I learned (maybe around the age of 30) that there is no need to be ashamed of or hide music I like, even if it's cheesy.

While I will always state without question that ANYTHING Van Hagar did never came even close to ANYTHING the original band did, there are songs here and there I like. I like the song "5150," I like BLACK 'N' BLUE, I like a song from BALANCE called FEELIN', I like HUMANS BEING... There's probably not one fucking song from that monstrosity FOR UNLAWFUL CARNAL KNOWLEDGE that I remotely like...well...actually, there is ONE song I like called PLEASURE DOME. That one is actually good. But for the most part, Van Hagar is Eddie being mostly uninspired and even the really good music is ruined by a bleach-haired, fat moron (with ZERO style) who thinks writing songs about "dreams," "feelings" and "love" put him in the same league as Robert Frost or Walt Whitman.

So...I think (overall) Foreigner is a better band than Van Hagar. Just my opinion. Their guitar player (while talented) may not be as strong a player as Edward Van Halen...but there are far less embarrassing songs on those first four Foreigner albums than most anything off the entire Van Hagar catalog.

Just my opinion.
            Foreigner was what it was musically from the get-go. I'd say I definitely don't care much for what the band did from the Agent Provocateur album onward, but that album wasn't the quantum stylistic shift re: Foreigner that Van Hagar's 5150 was from CVH.
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Kristy
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Catfish
              No, fuck you F A T Boy. Steve Nicks penned Fleetwood Mac's biggest hits next to the other woman in the band. Dreams, Landslide, Sara, Rhiannon, The Chain, Gold Dust Woman, Gypsy. Her solo work is just as impressive. So go eat a fresh squeezed turd out of my F A T ass. She made a definite impact on all your shitty Boomer Vomit "classic rock" even with that other MAGA muckraker cocksucker Don Henley. Buckingfuck is hack. A repetitive guitar player is there ever was one and his singing is atrocious, his songwriting outright stupid and his ego-sucking attitude ruined the band. All that dude can sing about is his cock and how much his cock misses Stevie's love canal. So Stevie did a lot of cocaine, you eat a lot of pizza and watch the NFL and complain how Democrats piss off your obvious lack of education.

She also has more money than God, your F A T orange messiah and the bank of Switzerland combined. She has also done a lot to help wounded and homeless vets, fought for women's rights, and she stomped all over your sexist male dominated music industry.

Get the fuck out of here.

Comment

• Kristy
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Mushroom
                *Sigh*

Another sexist band who writes mindless crap about date rape when not being used as a propaganda tool for Republican disinformation. Every fucking song they did was the exact same as every other fucking song they did. Even your Boomer Vomit Loverboy knew how to change a power chord every now and then. Euro-trash pseudo-metal rock for dumbass stoners who toke ditchweed at shitty white trash music festivals. All that band was ever good for.

Comment

• Kristy
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Ritchie Blackmore is my all-time favorite guitarist on Earth. (Yes, even more than Eddie.)
                  Oh, is he now? Figures. Drudgy, sloppy modal rock with a hint of plagiarized blooz. Fucking limey thieves.

Comment

• Rikk
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
                    Oh, is he now? Figures. Drudgy, sloppy modal rock with a hint of plagiarized blooz. Fucking limey thieves.
                    I really think I'm falling in love with you. You are my best friend.
                    Roth Army Militia

Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Kristy
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

You know those days that happen when you're in a rush and you go against your best principles and you stop at a fast food dive and order the "Whatthefuckever" of their plasticized corporate placard? Then you eat that slop in traffic and it sits there stirring in your gut until there or four days later when it times to come out of the shitshooter and then blam! You clogged up the shitter and have to plunge that little fucker with a MAGA bigot toothbrush such as this:

Then that turd makes other little turds and those turds clog up the shitter further so you stand there swearing reading a god damn Simone de Beauvoir novel making those wet/dry slurping sounds that border on suck and more suck? Well, that's exactly what Richie Blackmore did with a Fender Strat. The most toneless, gawd-awful, contrived guitar playing on the ENTIRE planet. Think of his time in Creep Durple as a Roman solider who fell lifeless in battle with other Roman soldiers except Richie was only wounded and cried out in pain and then put that pain to a fretboard so everyone in earshot was also in pain.

Comment

• Kristy
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

No diffy between this:

and this:

Comment

• Kristy
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Oh, and before any of you cretins say, "Fuck off to a Taylor Swift forum." Well I did just that only to be permanently banned because I may have mentioned something about China delivering another giant-sized condom to match Uncle Sam's world-raping ego and how Taylor Swift's pubis has more power than the Pentagon. It has terrorized the world brought so many to their knees. Every time you look around, its in your face.

Comment

• Rikk
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

Wow...what a convincing argument.

I have now burned all my Ritchie Blackmore albums, DVDs, Blu-Rays, box sets and everything in my fire pit in the backyard. I USED to enjoy listening to them...but Kristy has shown me the light.

(In all seriousness, I have nothing against Taylor Swift...I just don't give a fuck...and certainly not enough to actually find myself in the sad position of being banned from one of her forums...though Wolfgang Van Halen banned me from his Twitter channel for making fun of the fat fuck.)

Kristy, are you on Thorazine (Chlorpromazine)?
                            Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Kristy
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

No. Every "therapist' I ever had ghosted me for some reason. True! And Thorazine is no longer made. Trust me, I know.

Richie Blackamore in on DVD? I really have a lot of sympathy for all the tortured retinas that had to endure watching that.

Comment

• Kristy
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

In all seriousness, Foreigner peaked with their 2nd album (that one is their best). They were good at writing Beatle-y sort of rock/pop music. Songs like BLUE MORNING, BLUE DAY are admittedly as cheesy as Hagar's breath...but they're catchy as hell. The third Foreigner album also had some really good material. There's a non-single cut with acoustic guitars (but not a ballad) that I really like called DO WHAT YOU LIKE. Their 4th album was their last solid album. Good material. After that...eccchh! I have no use for I WANT TO KNOW WHAT LOVE IS. That song makes me feel the same way something like WHEN IT'S LOVE makes me feel...a once good band reaching the barf-bag point.
                                You are so suburban

Comment

Working...