DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
    Blow me.

Hippie
    No, thanks.
    Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Rikk
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Joe Bonamossa on Jann Wenner's dismissal from Hall's board of directors (Twitter or X):

"This man has done more to bring down the credibility of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame than anyone else. He has been punitive, elitist and frankly kept artists out of the hall over petty grudges and ego. This is a good thing."
      Roth Army Militia

Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• twonabomber
        formerly F A T
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Rikk
        I've been to the Museum once and once only.

My wife did her Undergrad at Kent. So she visits the area time to time and one time I went with her and we spent the day at the Rock Hall Museum.

I spent the first couple of hours with my eyes bugged out, looking at John Lennon's guitars and Jim Morrison's report card and Gary Rossington's Les Paul and John Paul Jones' shirt from SONG REMAINS THE SAME.

Then...as it wound down...I said to my wife, "I've seen nothing from KISS. Nothing from Soundgarden."

I don't remember seeing any Van Halen stuff (maybe I've forgotten). I don't even remember Sex Pistols stuff.

And my wife was kind of lowering her head as I raved and ranted the entire drive back to our friends' place about how much I hate the Rock Hall.
        I have a membership, been there a few times already this year.

Bonamossa isn't wrong and he's not the only one who's said that. I think Ahmet Ertegun kept Wenner in check, to a point. Once Ertegun died Wenner did what he wanted.
        Last edited by twonabomber; 09-17-2023, 01:13 PM.
        Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Rikk
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
          I have a membership, been there a few times already this year.

Bonamossa isn't wrong and he's not the only one who's said that. I think Ahmet Ertegun kept Wenner in check, to a point. Once Ertegun died Wenner did what he wanted.
          Don't get me wrong: the museum is good for what it does have. It's just a travesty for what it doesn't have.

I'll go again. We live outside Chicago now...so it's not something we can do anytime we want.

BUT YES...I'm a BIG museum person. We have memberships to the Art Institute of Chicago, the Field Museum of Natural History, the Shedd Aquarium and the Museum of Science and Industry. My boy who we lost, he loved going to the Field, so that's our favorite and we donate to them every year.

I was pissed when the George Lucas museum was pulled out of Chicago because of a really stupid environmental movement (I'm all for environmental movements, but this one was ridiculous...they were basically looking to save the Soldier Field parking lot).

Does the Rock Hall Museum have any Van Halen or KISS stuff now? (My wife keeps telling me they still have some good temporary exhibits.)
          Roth Army Militia

Comment

• twonabomber
            formerly F A T
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

There is a VH display at the very top of the Hall but it is all current EVH stuff and nothing of his personal collection. They may as well have QR codes posted with where to buy everything, it's set up like a catalog picture. There is a video that plays and a lot of it is from the Smithsonian thing.

Bassplayer's Jack Daniels bass is in one of the displays.

I don't remember if there is any KISS stuff. Maybe just the plaque with their signatures on it.
            Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Von Halen
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

I stayed on the same block many times over the years. Refused to ever attend that shithole based on the non rock acts in there, and the real rock acts that aren't. That joke of a rock and roll hall of fame should be burnt to the ground.

How many rappers are in the country music hall of fame? How many rockers are in the country music hall of fame?

Fuck the "Rock and Roll" hall of fame.

Comment

• Terry
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

Don't forget about Dave Grohl's obligatory ego tripping and for being the very reason rock & roll exist at all.
                Ugh.

He's so cloying and eager to be seen as the Good Housekeeping Seal Of Approval for all that is rock...

I mean, shit, I loved rock and roll back in the day...a lot of the stuff I liked back then I still do far as listening pleasure goes, but there's been too much drivel released in that genre over the last 30 years and too many aging bands who can't get it up flogging a dead horse onstage for decades for me to even care about where rock music is today.

I'd sooner go see Pablo Cruise opening up for Kenny Loggins these days than take in another 'farewell tour' of another aging limp rock band...which is exactly what I did last night. Kenny came out, did his soft pop set, finished it up with the Holy Trinity of that song from Caddyshack, followed by that song from Top Gun and ending with that song from Footloose (he started to play another tune after the Footloose one, but we left) and it was a lovely evening.
                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Kristy
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                  I mean, shit, I loved rock and roll back in the day...a lot of the stuff I liked back then I still do far as listening pleasure goes, but there's been too much drivel released in that genre over the last 30 years and too many aging bands who can't get it up flogging a dead horse onstage for decades for me to even care about where rock music is today.
                  There are lot of new artist out there who are breaking the rules by actually writing and playing their own material unlike say, a certain duo in their 80s. You have to realize (and I think you do better than anyone else on here) that the music industry is dead. Anyone can call themselves a producer or even a professional musician with general knowledge of learning to play a few chords and a iPhone to record their crap on. As for the ones who developed a real skill in manipulating their instrument and has paid "dooos" are becoming more and more rare and the industry which has sold its soul to the commercial pop of visual instead of aural and music is all about being seen in these days an times (See: K Pop, the Masked singer, that fucking unwatchable The Voice).

The Crock and Bullshit Hall of (insert flavor of the month here) has always been abut ego tripping turning itself into a qualified bitch magnet for the likes of Dave Grohl. The concept of the place was great when it first marketed itself. It gave notion to the pioneers likes Chuck Berry (although he was a asshole), Buddy Holly, Everly Brothers, Gene Vincent which was all well and good until you start to get the vibe The Crock and Bullshit Hall of...shit just openly operates as a beauty contest. So many artist who possessed so much in the way originality and "dooo paying" are largely ignored. As far as I know Irma Thomas, Don Varner, Fontella Bass, Chuck Jackson, Eddie Hinton, Jimmy McGriff, Tammi Terrell and yes, even white limey artist like Billy Fury (huge "influence" on Bowie), The Artwoods, The Shadows (although they may be or Hank Marvin definitely belongs there) or even the Fame Gang are not in there or ever mentioned of being there. you all remember the Fame Gang, right? Give this a quick listen and guess how many people ripped them the fuck off (See; Earth, Wind and Fire)

And since I mentioned Bill Fury:

Yeah, tell me Bowie did not steal from him.*

So this is what we have: a visual media for an auditory one. As Von said the The Crock and Bullshit Hall of Slime can politely go and fuck itself. I've been there. Not much to see unless you're really into nostalgia like Joe Strummer's boxer shorts.

*Billy Fury is a limey. David Bowie is a limey. Limeys stealing from other limeys I could less than a shit about.

Comment

• Kristy
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

One more mention. I love to see Phil Upchurch in there. Although he has drifted more into jazz his early days of ripping on a Strat were fucking incredible. Unfortunately, I cannot find any video of him doing so so this will have to do. Here he is with Booker T. and the MGs which is close enough for jazz:

Oh, and,

Class dismissed.

Comment

• twonabomber
                      formerly F A T
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I'm surprised Upchurch isn't in. He's got the resume for it. Should at least get in via the Musical Excellence category.

UCR ran an article about 135 artists not in the HOF. Not going to nitpick the whole list, but a lot of them seem to be big sellers and not influential. They have Jon Bon Jovi, solo, on there. For what? Is his solo stuff somehow more influential than the Bon Jovi discography? Bryan Adams. Big seller, for sure. Influential? Not to me.

Unfortunately (and I've probably said it in this thread) the inductees are more about who will bring ratings to the HBO broadcast of the induction ceremony. Having John Sykes (formerly of MTV) as chairman of the board of the HOF Foundation doesn't help, either. Booting Wenner is a good start. Bands like Priest and Metallica getting in means they get to vote for their influences and contemporaries.

Comment

• Rikk
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

The list of who should be in is endless. One could write a book...or several books.

BLUE OYSTER CULT, IRON MAIDEN, SOUNDGARDEN, ALICE IN CHAINS...and on and on and on...

The fact that fucking FOO FIGHTERS got in and SOUNDGARDEN haven't yet...that makes me sick.
                        Roth Army Militia

Comment

• twonabomber
                          formerly F A T
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

BOC...again, popular, but were they influential? Put Nazareth, Grand Funk, and Foghat in that basket too. When's the last time you saw Buck Dharma or Mark Farmer cited as an influence by someone in an interview?

Geeky girl I went to school with is a big Styx fan and regularly posts how Styx should get in. I'd say they were a better example of what NOT to do.

At least with Rage getting in this year, that's three more votes toward Soundgarden. I'm not a big grunge fan but I can see AIC and Soundgarden getting in.

Comment

• Rikk
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
                            BOC...again, popular, but were they influential? Put Nazareth, Grand Funk, and Foghat in that basket too. When's the last time you saw Buck Dharma or Mark Farmer cited as an influence by someone in an interview?

Geeky girl I went to school with is a big Styx fan and regularly posts how Styx should get in. I'd say they were a better example of what NOT to do.

At least with Rage getting in this year, that's three more votes toward Soundgarden. I'm not a big grunge fan but I can see AIC and Soundgarden getting in.
                            BLUE OYSTER CULT have a pretty rabid following (Stephen King's favorite band...he uses their songs in his books). They're not so much about the original members but their very unique sound. And I've read a lot of bands list them as an influence on their sound. I think they're amazing (though, admittedly, their great work is from the 1970s).

SOUNDGARDEN is the no-brainer. They had the greatest vocalist of their generation. Kim Thayil's playing was truly influential. And Matt Cameron is a monster drummer. I understand that PEARL JAM have the bigger following...but IMO, SOUNDGARDEN are so much better. (One of my very, very favorite bands...up their with VH.)

ALICE IN CHAINS too. They were amazing. They influenced a lot of bad bands (admittedly), but so did NIRVANA. NIRVANA were a great band but influenced a lot of bad bands in their wake. Jerry Cantrell is a great player...and AIC had a truly unique vocal harmony sound. Their stuff lasts. It's also ridiculous that they haven't gotten in. In fact, I don't think they've even been nominated.

I can't say I like music like STYX. But I do think FOREIGNER should be in. They not only sold so many damn records but they had a string of pretty unbeatable hits. Mick Jones may not have truly saved 5150, but he is a great producer/songwriter.

IRON MAIDEN...some consider them the most popular band in the world. They sell out massive stadiums in every continent. They influenced more bands than almost anyone in history apart from SABBATH, KISS, THE BEATLES, DEEP PURPLE and ZEPPELIN. (The fact that it took decades for DEEP PURPLE to get in is insane in and of itself. Ritchie Blackmore is still my favorite guitar-player.)

GRAND FUNK is one of those bands that Rolling Stone tries to pretend never existed. But they were Motor City giants, they played Shea Stadium when few were playing Shea Stadium...they were the biggest band in America from 1970-1973, maybe. And, again, they had a string of amazing FM-radio songs. And it was just the three of them...great players. They probably won't ever get in because of the elitist attitude...but they should.

FOGHAT...another influential band with a catalog that is too ignored. All of their 70s albums are great car music...great campfire music. They were much more than SLOW RIDE.

I never got into NAZARETH. Admittedly, I think I only know the one song. But I've read people talk about how much better they were than LOVE HURTS. I should check 'em out at some point.

Has RICK DERRINGER ever got in, even as a player? He's a great guitarist. His string of 70s solo albums are a lot of fun...with some cutting, smoking guitar-playing.

(OK...now I wait for Kristy to...uh...chime in.)
                            Last edited by Rikk; 09-19-2023, 05:00 AM.
                            Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Rikk
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

One more mention. I love to see Phil Upchurch in there. Although he has drifted more into jazz his early days of ripping on a Strat were fucking incredible.
                              I'm asking honestly (not obnoxiously) because I'm not familiar with him. Any particular tracks or albums you think would be a good start for him?
                              Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Rikk
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
                                I stayed on the same block many times over the years. Refused to ever attend that shithole based on the non rock acts in there, and the real rock acts that aren't. That joke of a rock and roll hall of fame should be burnt to the ground.

How many rappers are in the country music hall of fame? How many rockers are in the country music hall of fame?

Fuck the "Rock and Roll" hall of fame.
                                A-fucking-men, Von.

While I will not say I've never been in the building, I can simply tell you to ask my wife how much bitching and yelling I did as we were driving away from the place. I was pissed that they left out so much stuff.

Even their "early rock 'n' roll" stuff was nowhere near as impressive or life-changing as the feeling I had when I went to Sun Studios and Graceland (in Memphis...the city my wife & I consider our home away from home).

I'm not saying there doesn't deserve to be a Rap Hall of Fame. I'm not sure if there is one, but if there is, all sorts of rappers deserve the credit and should be honored there: RUN-DMC (though they deserve to be in for influencing lots of rock artists, the song with Aerosmith, etc.), Tupac (not in the Rock Hall but in the Rap Hall), etc.

But I would argue that Beastie Boys deserved their Rock Hall induction. It has NOTHING to do with the fact that they're white. I mean that. It is because they started as a punk band and kept tons of rock and even metal elements in their sound throughout their career. Beastie Boys influenced a ton of rock acts...SABOTAGE is a rock song, pure and simple. (And ROOT DOWN is my favorite song by them.)

The fact that Dolly Parton (who I have nothing against) decided to record her first rock album AFTER she got in the Hall says plenty about the Rock Hall's credibility. She even asked them not to induct her after she was nominated!!

I'm Swedish...so while many of you may want to bitch about ABBA, I cannot do that. I grew up going to Sweden in the summer in the 1980s, so I have a lot of nostalgia for them. They were, however, purely a pop band. I have a hard time seeing them as a legitimate rock band, though they undoubtedly influenced a TON of rock bands (e.g. U2)...but they're not really a rock band. (They were extremely talented, though.)

Why the fuck is Willie Nelson in there? Again, I have nothing against him. He's a legitimately-good singer-songwriter. But he has NEVER been considered a rocker of any sort. He is a strictly country artist...maybe occasionally crossing over into pop.

Hell, one of the only traditional country artists who deserves, truly deserves, to be in the Rock Hall is Johnny Cash. He was country...but he was also rockabilly. And several of his albums had real rock material on it (listen to AMERICAN II, for example...let alone many of his 1950s & 1960s albums).

But where the "Rock Hall" really has lost the plot (besides ignoring tons of essential acts that don't meet Jann Wenner & Jon Landau's elitist bullshit) is in their starting to induct complete fucking tools like Missy Elliott or (nominated) Mary J. Blige. I mean, what the fuck? Really?

Make fun of me...but I have nothing against George Michael. But does he deserve to be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? Fuck, no. He's a pop artist. Singing five songs with Queen at a tribute concert does not make him a contender for the Rock Hall. That's fucking bullshit.

Lionel Richie?? Really? Again, I don't mind his music. He had some fun, catchy music in the 1980s. Pure fucking pop, though. The Commodores? Great funk/soul band...not remotely rock. And he's now become a country artist, hasn't he? (They seriously couldn't find an actual rock band more deserving??)

HOW ABOUT WHO HAS NEVER GOTTEN IN???
                                Do you know that Living Colour has never even been nominated? SERIOUSLY??

The Pixies have never been nominated. THAT'S INSANE. They were amazing...and very influential. (Frank Black alone is worthy of nomination.)

Nick Drake has never been nominated. The Rock Hall are morons. Did he sell a lot of records? No. Is he one of the most influential singer-songwriters to come out of Great Britain? Fuck, yes.

Procol Harum have been nominated once. Never got in. They were a great band. Their first record (WHITER SHADE OF PALE) was one of the biggest singles in music history. They recorded a slew of highly-regarded albums and have a rabid fanbase.

Sting. Nominated once (2015). Never been inducted. Now, yes, he's in with The Police. But he was huge solo too. And yes, he hasn't made a great album in ages. But his first four solo albums alone should have gotten him inducted.

White Stripes. Nominated...never got in. That's a joke. I'd take Jack White over 100 Dave Grohls any day. That guy can play...and write. He's cool...unlike Dave Grohl.

INXS have never been nominated. That's so stupid. They were HUGE. They were a really great band. Watch their 1991 LIVE BABY LIVE concert film and tell me that wasn't a great rock band. (I have a 4K Blu-Ray of it...it smokes.)

Midnight Oil have never been nominated. THAT'S FUCKING NUTS!! They were amazing! I've seen them live three times! (Including their 2017 reunion tour...I remember going the night after Chris Cornell died, so I was a bit bummed out.) They were one of the most dynamic live bands ever. They had a handful of big albums. Several hits (BEDS ARE BURNING, THE DEAD HEART, BLUE SKY MINE, FORGOTTEN YEARS, U.S. FORCES, TRUGANINI). They influenced a ton of good bands. But apparently not as rock 'n' roll as Missy Elliott.

MC5. Nominated 6 times. Never inducted. Not exactly my favorite band...but they fucking were one of the wellsprings that created punk. But I guess George Michael rocks better.

Neither Joy Division nor New Order have been inducted. Just nominated once.

Joe Cocker. Never nominated.

Jethro Tull. Never nominated.

Jane's Addiction. Nominated once. Never inducted.

Iggy Pop got in with The Stooges...but if they can nominate Graham Nash multiple times, IGGY deserves to go in for his solo career alone!!!

Black Flag. Never nominated.

Dead Kennedys. Never nominated (not that they would show up).

Warren Zevon. Nominated once (just this year). Didn't get in. Why? Because the Rock Hall are fucking absolute cunting morons.

Bad Company. Never nominated. SERIOUSLY??

Johnny Winter. Never nominated. Are they nuts?

Manfred Mann. Never nominated.

Sonic Youth. Never nominated.

Thin Lizzy. Nominated once. Never inducted. (THIS ONE REALLY PISSES ME OFF...PHIL LYNOTT WAS THE SHIT!)

Steve Winwood. Nominated once.

War. Nominated three times. Never got in. (That's bullshit...they were fucking great.)
                                Roth Army Militia

Comment

Working...