Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    In the long run, it comes down to whether you have a sound people will recognize and remember. You know when it's Keef, or Angus, or Iommi, or even Johnny Ramone within 2 seconds. I couldn't pick a YingYang Egosteen riff out of thin air and identify it as him, and I'd probably only instantly recognize George Lynch if Don Dokken was whining on top of it. Steve Vai?? shit I had that Public Image album with him playing on it for years before I even knew it was him... though I did know it sounded good, whoever it was (the album had no credits on it at all, probably part of the "generic" theme of the packaging)

Occasionally you get somebody who is technically brilliant AND has that unmistakable sound. Eddie certainly fits that description, as did Jimi Hendrix. I'd put Randy Rhoads in that camp too, except we tragically never got to see his full potential.
    The thing about Eddie and Hendrix...they had technique/technical ability, but it's still their songs that resonate.

Randy Rhoads was a fine player. If I'm being frank, I really didn't much care for the tunes he was coming up with when he was in Quiet Riot, thus while I still think those first two Ozzy solo albums are fantastic no small part of that probably included what Daisley was contributing as well. But...yeah, even though Rhoads had kicked around for several years with Quiet Riot then a couple with Ozzy, it still felt like he was just getting started when he died in terms of realizing his potential. Rhoads, along with Van Halen, certainly demonstrated in the early 1980s that rock guitar didn't have to be endless blues pentatonic scales.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Also only so much will go through a PA system. Players that really process their sound through a bunch of effects only a fraction of that is going to come out the PA speakers. So a basic decent tone is what you want live. People fuck with their sound too much. Usually huge gear-heads are not the best players. They are into gear more than playing.
    I will say that in terms of gear re: pedals/effects, I'd have to agree. I've only ever owned stomp box pedals because I never reached the point with any of the amateur bands I was playing with decades ago where I needed rack mounted gear - and in the 1980s/early 1990s that gear was a bit more than I could afford in terms of needing it - but I've always noticed at louder volumes the effects are less...effective, for lack of a better word. The nuance they bring gets lessened at louder volumes. You can sort of over-process the sound of the instrument through too much gear to the point where it comes out sounding like mush. Really, the only effect box I used that wasn't dampened at louder volumes was a delay pedal.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

There's a reason those Quiet Riot albums still haven't been released officially. Randy sounds great, but that's the only thing good about them. DuBrow was a horrible songwriter. He made Hagar look like Shakespeare by comparison.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

There's a reason those Quiet Riot albums still haven't been released officially. Randy sounds great, but that's the only thing good about them. DuBrow was a horrible songwriter. He made Hagar look like Shakespeare by comparison.
    It's no coincidence that their big hit was a cover and then they tried to repeat the trick with "Mama Weer All Crazee Now"

A couple of times over the years I've thought I must go back and listen to early RR stuff but you are right the songs are so meh it's hard to get too interested. Also I do think his playing took a jump between QR and Blizzard of Oz and then again between BOZ and Diary of a Madman - he was getting better and better which makes his death a real 'what if'.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It's a weird story as there is a list of top 100 guitarists on Rolling Stone and it seems to have been chosen mainly by a bunch of famous guitarists, a while ago in 2015 and Joan Jett isn't on the list.

It's also a kind of weird list as these things always are, if there is any logic to it then it's more about influence and songs than technical ability.

Ed comes in at 8.

On these lists there are always at least a dozen examples where you can say under no fucking criteria can guy A be 20 places better than guy B I don't care what you are judging it on and this one is no exception.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...allman-159154/

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Ha! Ha! Oh man, lower than Hagar. Well I saw the Riot live a few times and I enjoyed it but I never bought an album. DuBrow was a decent frontman and had good musicians but you are right, the songwriting lacked. But they did ok. People love Bang Your Head when you play it.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I will say that in terms of gear re: pedals/effects, I'd have to agree. I've only ever owned stomp box pedals because I never reached the point with any of the amateur bands I was playing with decades ago where I needed rack mounted gear - and in the 1980s/early 1990s that gear was a bit more than I could afford in terms of needing it - but I've always noticed at louder volumes the effects are less...effective, for lack of a better word. The nuance they bring gets lessened at louder volumes. You can sort of over-process the sound of the instrument through too much gear to the point where it comes out sounding like mush. Really, the only effect box I used that wasn't dampened at louder volumes was a delay pedal.
    If the amp is the base of your sound go with less effects but some people use effects as a preamp. Prince did this and got a good sound. I think for fly out gigs small multiple effects boxes or small pedal boards are the go to thing but a lot of players still like a real amp.

For basic rock you just don’t want to over process the sound because it’s counter productive. If you are going for an over processed sound on purpose that’s a different story.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Amazing we even care about bands that played almost a half century ago.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    It's no coincidence that their big hit was a cover and then they tried to repeat the trick with "Mama Weer All Crazee Now"

A couple of times over the years I've thought I must go back and listen to early RR stuff but you are right the songs are so meh it's hard to get too interested. Also I do think his playing took a jump between QR and Blizzard of Oz and then again between BOZ and Diary of a Madman - he was getting better and better which makes his death a real 'what if'.
    It seems that working with Bob Daisley did a lot for Randy's songwriting which is why the songs are so much better on the Ozzy records. As far as his playing, Randy knew he was good, but he wanted to be better. If I remember correctly, he was still taking lessons while working with Ozzy, though I can't imagine what a guitar teacher could have taught him by that point. Classical stuff, probably... since he seemed to be moving in that direction.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    That Randy was a fine player was obviously evident on those two Quiet Riot albums just in terms of the technical ability he displayed, but...like, I had been aware in the early 1980s after Quiet Riot broke big that Rhoads had played in Quiet Riot and had recorded a couple of albums with them before joining up with Ozzy. I was aware that Slick Black Cadillac from Metal Health was one of the tunes Quiet Riot had been playing when Rhoads was in the band, and I had thought Slick Black Cadillac was one of the better tunes on Metal Health that wasn't the title track or Cum On Feel The Noize. So, I had assumed those two Rhoads QR albums were full of tunes on that level of Slick Black Cadillac.

But, if memory serves those two Rhoads QR albums were only issued in Japan, and subsequently it wasn't until the late 1990s that I heard them when somebody posted them online for free in the then-early days of file sharing...and [the albums] weren't particularly good: it's as you say, that outside of hearing Rhoads play there wasn't anything on either of the records to recommend them, song-wise.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Ha! Ha! Oh man, lower than Hagar. Well I saw the Riot live a few times and I enjoyed it but I never bought an album. DuBrow was a decent frontman and had good musicians but you are right, the songwriting lacked. But they did ok. People love Bang Your Head when you play it.
    Quiet Riot were okay. I remember liking them well enough in 1983 when Bang Your Head and Cum On Feel The Noize were on heavy rotation on MTV...then again, I was 13 years old, so what the fuck did I know?

Metal Health as an album overall was good. I mean, the band had been kicking around for close to a decade, and they...they had their moment, you know? I do remember the first concert my and my friends were allowed to attend by ourselves unchaperoned was Quiet Riot opening for Black Sabbath on the Born Again tour, and I remember being underwhelmed by Quiet Riot as a live act. And even watching Quiet Riot at the US Festival or...was it Dortmund in 1983, I think?...they weren't really much better than okay as a live act even at their zenith.

Their second album, Condition Critical, was a letdown because they just played it too safe in trying to make Metal Health 2, but I can't blame them for playing it safe in that it took them a long time to make it big and they stuck with a formula they thought would work.

They were a decent slab of meathead/straight-up early 1980s American commercial hard rock.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Amazing we even care about bands that played almost a half century ago.

It's...nostalgia, you know?

I don't really hear much musically these days rock-wise even worth listening to, much less talking about...but I'm happy being an old codger, lamenting the present and overhyping the past.

I will say the stuff I do enjoy coming out these days tends to be pop r&b synth rap type stuff, ideally with mildly smutty lyrics sung by black girls. There was this sort of recent dance hit called Get Lucky which I liked...I liked that Adore song by Harry Styles, too.

Most of the rock bands I see these days getting press or play come off like posers to my ears.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quiet Riot were okay. I remember liking them well enough in 1983 when Bang Your Head and Cum On Feel The Noize were on heavy rotation on MTV...then again, I was 13 years old, so what the fuck did I know?

Metal Health as an album overall was good. I mean, the band had been kicking around for close to a decade, and they...they had their moment, you know? I do remember the first concert my and my friends were allowed to attend by ourselves unchaperoned was Quiet Riot opening for Black Sabbath on the Born Again tour, and I remember being underwhelmed by Quiet Riot as a live act. And even watching Quiet Riot at the US Festival or...was it Dortmund in 1983, I think?...they weren't really much better than okay as a live act even at their zenith.

Their second album, Condition Critical, was a letdown because they just played it too safe in trying to make Metal Health 2, but I can't blame them for playing it safe in that it took them a long time to make it big and they stuck with a formula they thought would work.

They were a decent slab of meathead/straight-up early 1980s American commercial hard rock.
    I saw the Quiet Riot at the 83 US Festival. What I remember for how big it was the sound was really good. I always liked Carlos Carvezo's guitar playing. He had his signature sound and some good riffs. But QR sounded really good that day.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    It's...nostalgia, you know?

I don't really hear much musically these days rock-wise even worth listening to, much less talking about...but I'm happy being an old codger, lamenting the present and overhyping the past.

I will say the stuff I do enjoy coming out these days tends to be pop r&b synth rap type stuff, ideally with mildly smutty lyrics sung by black girls. There was this sort of recent dance hit called Get Lucky which I liked...I liked that Adore song by Harry Styles, too.

Most of the rock bands I see these days getting press or play come off like posers to my ears.
    The stuff we grew up on was motivated by getting a record deal. That motivation was killed by streaming music. But you used to be able to make some good money having a dance band. My dad had one in the late 1940's and he played clarinet and sax and they played dances. One guy told me he was making more money playing school dances in the NYC area than his dad was making as an engineer at Grumman. So knowing you can make a living at it is motivation to stick with it and get good.

In the 80's the whole thing was about playing clubs and getting a record deal. Playing dances was over because they had PA systems but you could play clubs. In 2022 where do you play? You aren't going to play dances, that's a DJ world now. Maybe some clubs but that isn't what it was and that's become a DJ world too. So it's more difficult to make money playing and you time is worth something. There is no music business and nobody is listening to radio stations like they used to.

The world has changed and we can be more selective than ever. People are in their own little worlds on their mobile devices and do less together. When you only had three network stations and a few radio stations people were more connected. You could become the big thing easier.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    In the music business that used to be a four year run was about average for the average act that did well. After four years the band either self-destructed or had shot it's entire creative load. It was rare to have a band who could keep it together and cum and cum and cum again for years.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It seems that working with Bob Daisley did a lot for Randy's songwriting which is why the songs are so much better on the Ozzy records.
    Ozzy is basically just the singer on Bob Daisley's solo project.

He has stretched 2 years of Bob Daisley's work into a 40 year career it's astonishing.

It's also ironic that his cunt of a wife who has been his puppet master for so long has now had so much surgery she looks like a muppet.

18. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (05-07-2022)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I saw the Quiet Riot at the 83 US Festival. What I remember for how big it was the sound was really good. I always liked Carlos Carvezo's guitar playing. He had his signature sound and some good riffs. But QR sounded really good that day.
    Cavazo was decent.

I will say that with a tune like Cum On Feel The Noize, Cavazo constructed - or improvised, or however the solo was done (if he winged it or it was a composite or whatever) - a guitar solo that was quite well done, in terms of being both memorable and flashy.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The stuff we grew up on was motivated by getting a record deal. That motivation was killed by streaming music. But you used to be able to make some good money having a dance band. My dad had one in the late 1940's and he played clarinet and sax and they played dances. One guy told me he was making more money playing school dances in the NYC area than his dad was making as an engineer at Grumman. So knowing you can make a living at it is motivation to stick with it and get good.

In the 80's the whole thing was about playing clubs and getting a record deal. Playing dances was over because they had PA systems but you could play clubs. In 2022 where do you play? You aren't going to play dances, that's a DJ world now. Maybe some clubs but that isn't what it was and that's become a DJ world too. So it's more difficult to make money playing and you time is worth something. There is no music business and nobody is listening to radio stations like they used to.

The world has changed and we can be more selective than ever. People are in their own little worlds on their mobile devices and do less together. When you only had three network stations and a few radio stations people were more connected. You could become the big thing easier.
    I noticed when I moved to Tampa in 2000 that there was no local rock scene in terms of clubs where local rock bands were playing. It was pretty much all dance clubs. THAT was a bit of a culture shock vs. Rhode Island in the 1980s/1990s, where even that little pissant state had a pretty vibrant local scene with a dozen decent-sized club venues bands could play at. So, if anything, I figured a city the size of Tampa would have even MORE local venues and MORE local bands to go and see.: it was a bit of a shock to find out that wasn't the case. Then again, by 2000 the rock genre was sort of fading...

Sometimes, I'd just like to go to a club and see a local band playing...about the closest I can get to that now is some beach bar where a guy gets up with an acoustic guitar and plays Margaritaville-type tunes (THOSE fuckers are LESS than a dime a dozen down here).

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Ozzy is basically just the singer on Bob Daisley's solo project.

He has stretched 2 years of Bob Daisley's work into a 40 year career it's astonishing.

It's also ironic that his cunt of a wife who has been his puppet master for so long has now had so much surgery she looks like a muppet.
    Really, the only Ozzy stuff I can be bothered with is the stuff either Butler or Daisley were writing for him. Basically the Sabbath stuff and Ozzy's first two albums: pretty much the rest of Ozzy's career is disposable to me. Several of the Jake E. Lee/Zakk Wylde tunes were good, but really by the time No More Tears rolled around it was over for me.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Several of the Jake E. Lee/Zakk Wylde tunes were good, but really by the time No More Tears rolled around it was over for me.
    No More Tears also written by Daisley.

I love Jake E Lee's guitar playing but The Ultimate Sin song writing is not great IMHO.

The under achievement of Ozzy is absolutely amazingly spectacular,

Fucking mediocre shit for 40 years while his cunt wife hand picks all those guys year after year after year, She is shit at her job and a terrible person who got fucking insanely lucky,

They just got insanely fucking lucky with Randy who was found by someone else

i say that as a fan.

Sharon Osbourne is like someone who won the fucking lottery and then went back to the kiosk and grabbed the $1 she paid for the ticket and then took a shit on the counter.

I can't remember a time when I've been less than super happy that someone has recovered from cancer.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 05-07-2022 at 09:26 PM.

23. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (05-08-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I noticed when I moved to Tampa in 2000 that there was no local rock scene in terms of clubs where local rock bands were playing. It was pretty much all dance clubs. THAT was a bit of a culture shock vs. Rhode Island in the 1980s/1990s, where even that little pissant state had a pretty vibrant local scene with a dozen decent-sized club venues bands could play at. So, if anything, I figured a city the size of Tampa would have even MORE local venues and MORE local bands to go and see.: it was a bit of a shock to find out that wasn't the case. Then again, by 2000 the rock genre was sort of fading...

Sometimes, I'd just like to go to a club and see a local band playing...about the closest I can get to that now is some beach bar where a guy gets up with an acoustic guitar and plays Margaritaville-type tunes (THOSE fuckers are LESS than a dime a dozen down here).
    Rhode Island was a mobbed up state and the mob loved it’s clubs. The whole Sunset Strip thing was basically the Chicago mob operating in LA and then of course Las Vegas grew out of that dynamic. We can thank the mob for being a step stone for our entertainment. Ha! Ha!

25. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (05-08-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Cavazo was decent.

I will say that with a tune like Cum On Feel The Noize, Cavazo constructed - or improvised, or however the solo was done (if he winged it or it was a composite or whatever) - a guitar solo that was quite well done, in terms of being both memorable and flashy.
    I can tell it’s Carlos. He had his own vibe. He had a few Jose Arredondo modded Marshall’s which basically had clipping diodes in the preamp. People thought Ed used them but he never did but Carlos got the best sound out of those modded amps.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I think maybe rock and roll is going where big band did. You can still go see a Glenn Miller type thing at a Performing Arts center somewhere. You can still buy the old recordings but it’s not the big mainstream thing it was. Old people loved it because of the nostalgia.

Now we are the old people getting nostalgic for our rock and roll and the kids today have their thing which was not on the menu when we were growing up.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well a YouTube guitar guy I subscribe to has put up an unusually strong response to the Nuge BS and I have to say I agree with every fucking word...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    No More Tears also written by Daisley.

I love Jake E Lee's guitar playing but The Ultimate Sin song writing is not great IMHO.

The under achievement of Ozzy is absolutely amazingly spectacular,

Fucking mediocre shit for 40 years while his cunt wife hand picks all those guys year after year after year, She is shit at her job and a terrible person who got fucking insanely lucky,

They just got insanely fucking lucky with Randy who was found by someone else

i say that as a fan.

Sharon Osbourne is like someone who won the fucking lottery and then went back to the kiosk and grabbed the $1 she paid for the ticket and then took a shit on the counter.

I can't remember a time when I've been less than super happy that someone has recovered from cancer.
    I mean, I can't argue with Sharon Osbourne's approach to...what...monetizing the Ozzy name and thus keeping Ozzy as a brand far more lucrative from 2000 on than it would have been otherwise. Didn't much care for The Osbournes tv show, and Sharon Osbourne as a celebrity personality isn't my cup of tea, but whatever.

I thought Jake E. Lee was shit-hot coming out of the gate with Ozzy. I mean, Bark At The Moon as a lead-off single was a solid rock tune. Didn't much care for The Ultimate Sin stuff then or now. Thought No Rest For The Wicked had some great stuff on it. No More Tears as a track was good. Didn't much care for Mama I'm Coming Home or Road To Nowhere.

The first two Ozzy solo albums just continue to hold up for me...still resonate after all these years.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Rhode Island was a mobbed up state and the mob loved it’s clubs. The whole Sunset Strip thing was basically the Chicago mob operating in LA and then of course Las Vegas grew out of that dynamic. We can thank the mob for being a step stone for our entertainment. Ha! Ha!
    Rhode Island certainly was mobbed up back in the day. There are still remnants of the mob operating, but nowhere near what it was. It was common knowledge back in the 1980s and 1990s that for $5k paid to the right person, you could get a state job and basically be set for life, and for $10k to the right person you could get a no-show state job where you didn't even have to turn up to work and would still collect a weekly paycheck and full benefits.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I think maybe rock and roll is going where big band did. You can still go see a Glenn Miller type thing at a Performing Arts center somewhere. You can still buy the old recordings but it’s not the big mainstream thing it was. Old people loved it because of the nostalgia.

Now we are the old people getting nostalgic for our rock and roll and the kids today have their thing which was not on the menu when we were growing up.
    Rock and roll is going - basically has already gone - the way of Vegas-style cabaret.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I mean, I can't argue with Sharon Osbourne's approach to...what...monetizing the Ozzy name and thus keeping Ozzy as a brand far more lucrative from 2000 on than it would have been otherwise. Didn't much care for The Osbournes tv show, and Sharon Osbourne as a celebrity personality isn't my cup of tea, but whatever.

I thought Jake E. Lee was shit-hot coming out of the gate with Ozzy. I mean, Bark At The Moon as a lead-off single was a solid rock tune. Didn't much care for The Ultimate Sin stuff then or now. Thought No Rest For The Wicked had some great stuff on it. No More Tears as a track was good. Didn't much care for Mama I'm Coming Home or Road To Nowhere.

The first two Ozzy solo albums just continue to hold up for me...still resonate after all these years.
    Absolutely but it's not just our opinions, most Ozzy setlists have always been about 75% first 2 albums. Only ever played the title track to BATM and I always found it surprising that Zack W never learned how to play it correctly even though that was his fucking job for 20 years. I say that as someone that also can't play it right but still - it wasn't my fucking job.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Absolutely but it's not just our opinions, most Ozzy setlists have always been about 75% first 2 albums. Only ever played the title track to BATM and I always found it surprising that Zack W never learned how to play it correctly even though that was his fucking job for 20 years. I say that as someone that also can't play it right but still - it wasn't my fucking job.
    The two times I saw Ozzy, in 1984 and 1986, he was playing a fair amount off of the then new albums BATM and Ultimate Sin, and wasn't doing more than a few Sabbath tunes and several tunes off of his first two solo albums.

I'd say from what I've read/seen/heard, a lot of the setlists after Jake E. Lee left started incorporating more of the Rhoads material as well as doing Sabbath stuff other than the obligatory Iron Man and Paranoid. I mean, really, for me, the Jake E. Lee albums...bit of a letdown, and not even necessarily strictly in comparison to the Rhoads albums. Outside of the Bark At The Moon title track, the rest of the Lee material was...a bit weak. I remember thinking with the first Wylde album that the Ozzy band and material had taken a step upward from the Lee stuff. Miracle Man...Bloodbath In Paradise...Crazy Babies...THAT to my ears was the kind of stuff I wanted to hear Ozzy doing more so than the bulk of what was on the Lee albums. And Wylde didn't have any compunctions about playing Rhoads tracks other than Crazy Train or I Don't Know, or essaying Sabbath stuff like War Pigs.

But, yeah, were I to see an Ozzy show these days, I'd be more than satisfied if the setlist was comprised entirely of stuff off of Sabbath's first 4 albums and Ozzy's first two solo albums.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

You saw Ozzy possibly at his peak in 1984 I've seen him 5 or so times from 1986 onwards but Jake on that first tour. I took up guitar after seeing the Salt Lake City gig on TV but the earlier German one is is some ways better because Ozzy is pretty much singing well.

The solo to Forever is still just fucking wow nearly 40 years later...

Charcoal Mellowed
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Status
    Thanks

The two times I saw Ozzy, in 1984 and 1986, he was playing a fair amount off of the then new albums BATM and Ultimate Sin, and wasn't doing more than a few Sabbath tunes and several tunes off of his first two solo albums.
    Not a big Sabbath or Ozzy fan so take this for what it's worth:
    I've never seen him live but the live videos I've seen show Ozzy as the absolute most boring uninspired
    frontman ever. He paces the stage saying "'C'mon" between verses and (to me) really brings nothing
    to a show that isn't on the LP.
    I know his style isn't something akin to DLR/Tyler/Pearcy/whatever flashy frontman but when I see a clip of
    him live I can't imagine watching an entire show of that no matter what the songs sound like.

That said, I did watch some of his Osbournes show. "Sharooon!"

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I totally get that - I've been an Ozzy fan since 1981 and I'm often totally puzzled by it especially when watching him live.

Taking a step back he is fucking terrible.

I've always been a music + vocal melody person. You get (a lot of) people who are all about the lead singer voice, I'm not one of them.

If you stuck a knife at my throat my 3 favorite bands would be CVH, Rush and early Ozzy none of which would win awards for lead vocals although I could make a passionate underrated argument for them.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 05-08-2022 at 11:20 PM.

37. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

ashstralia (05-09-2022)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
    Not a big Sabbath or Ozzy fan so take this for what it's worth:
    I've never seen him live but the live videos I've seen show Ozzy as the absolute most boring uninspired
    frontman ever. He paces the stage saying "'C'mon" between verses and (to me) really brings nothing
    to a show that isn't on the LP.
    I know his style isn't something akin to DLR/Tyler/Pearcy/whatever flashy frontman but when I see a clip of
    him live I can't imagine watching an entire show of that no matter what the songs sound like.

That said, I did watch some of his Osbournes show. "Sharooon!"
    The thing with Ozzy...he's just a character, just a larger than life personality and people just respond to that in terms of...like, Ozzy doesn't even HAVE to do anything astounding onstage in terms of leaping around...or even singing well. Ozzy just has to yell "everybody go crazy!!" and the crowd loves it.

I will say for the two shows I saw in the 1980s, on both those tours Ozzy had some decent stage productions, so you had lasers, some explosions, some pyro. All of which augmented or sort of made up for whatever shortcomings Ozzy had in the singing department or the frontman department. Like, I remember with the BATM show I saw in 1984, Motley Crue opened. Musically, Motley Crue were no great shakes, but that band were fucking MOVING all over the stage the entire set. Ozzy, by comparison, sort of walked around, clapped his hands...but Ozzy just didn't NEED to run around the stage all night. Plus, by the time BATM rolled around, Ozzy had the Rhoads albums + BATM + the classic Sabbath stuff to draw upon...and people were just there to party and have a good time, so Ozzy...he just didn't need to do anything beyond what he was doing. which admittedly certainly wasn't much in comparison to a David Lee Roth or a Steven Tyler.

I do remember the second time I saw Ozzy a couple of years later on the Ultimate Sin tour, I felt that the opening band Metallica had kinda blew Ozzy off the stage a bit. And I wasn't especially a huge fan of Metallica at the time, either. My bud who I went with WAS a pretty big Metallica fan and had been playing the first three Metallica albums non-stop in the year leading up to the Ultimate Sin show, and I wasn't a particular fan of Metallica at that point. I'm still not really all that big on Metallica, and never really have been, but I will say that Metallica...they were just hungry and put on a brutal, non-stop assault onstage. Ozzy came out after them and it was...a bit tame by comparison.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    You saw Ozzy possibly at his peak in 1984 I've seen him 5 or so times from 1986 onwards but Jake on that first tour. I took up guitar after seeing the Salt Lake City gig on TV but the earlier German one is is some ways better because Ozzy is pretty much singing well.

The solo to Forever is still just fucking wow nearly 40 years later...

I dunno about seeing Ozzy at his peak, because just in terms strictly of what Ozzy was doing as a frontman his tours throughout the 1980s were basically consistent. His various touring bands throughout the 1980s were pretty consistent.

I mean, neither time I saw him on those two tours...his vocals weren't terrible, nor were they great...but, like I said, he just has to yell "let's get crazy!!" and not much else beyond that.

I'd certainly say from the footage I've seen from the mid-1990s and beyond that I was fortunate to have seen Ozzy in the 1980s.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:38 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

So, I saw Ozzy on February 27th, 1982. What, two weeks before Rhoads was killed? While I personally consider that to be his peak, I also saw him in '84 with Jake E Lee, and that was actually a great show, and Ozzy's voice was much better on that night, than it was in '82.

I totally agree with the assessment on Sharon Osbourne. She's a cunt. That last album Ozzy did with that producer/guitarist, fucking sucked balls. I can't believe Ozzy let her talk him into letting the producer be the lead guitarist on his album.

I am looking forward to his upcoming album, with all the different guitarists on it.

You guys talking about Rhode Island. There is a dude on Tik Tok that calls himself "The Gatekeeper" that supposedly has carried a big stick in the Rhode Island music scene for a lot of years.

Sesh, don't let your Libtardism get in the way of your common sense. Ted Nugent was 100% on the money with his Joan Jett take. That broad made some catchy tunes, but to put her even on the list, is nothing but a travesty of the highest degree. She doesn't belong in the top 500, let alone top 100. To put her over guys like Rik Emmett, and any of the others Ted mentioned, just takes any credibility away from the list. That's a FACT!

41. Thanked Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Terry (05-09-2022)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It's a list from 2003, also did you watch the video I posted?

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    So, I saw Ozzy on February 27th, 1982. What, two weeks before Rhoads was killed? While I personally consider that to be his peak,
    You are from an older generation though.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:38 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

Fuck no I didn't watch the video. I don't care what year it was from. She does NOT belong on that list. Above Rik Emmett? C.C. Deville is a better guitarist than her. Sorry.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    So, I saw Ozzy on February 27th, 1982. What, two weeks before Rhoads was killed? While I personally consider that to be his peak, I also saw him in '84 with Jake E Lee, and that was actually a great show, and Ozzy's voice was much better on that night, than it was in '82.

I totally agree with the assessment on Sharon Osbourne. She's a cunt. That last album Ozzy did with that producer/guitarist, fucking sucked balls. I can't believe Ozzy let her talk him into letting the producer be the lead guitarist on his album.

I am looking forward to his upcoming album, with all the different guitarists on it.

You guys talking about Rhode Island. There is a dude on Tik Tok that calls himself "The Gatekeeper" that supposedly has carried a big stick in the Rhode Island music scene for a lot of years.

Sesh, don't let your Libtardism get in the way of your common sense. Ted Nugent was 100% on the money with his Joan Jett take. That broad made some catchy tunes, but to put her even on the list, is nothing but a travesty of the highest degree. She doesn't belong in the top 500, let alone top 100. To put her over guys like Rik Emmett, and any of the others Ted mentioned, just takes any credibility away from the list. That's a FACT!
    Basically, back in Rhode Island circa 1983-1986, one of my best friends immediate family members was a close friend of the premiere concert promoter in the region at time. A byproduct of that was that through the friend and the connection we got concert tickets to whatever shows we wanted to see at the main concert venue used for the name rock acts at the time. Subsequently, we saw...Christ, I'd have to sit down and think hard in terms of a list...upward of twenty rock shows there in a roughly two year or so period.

Dunno about the guy on Tik Tok in terms of who he is, but the promoter I'm referring to was a guy named Frank J. Russo. The venue was then known as the Providence Civic Center. The last show I saw in the Civic Center was in 1986/1987. At some point in the late 1990s or early 2000s, it became renamed the Dunkin' Donuts Center. The arena seats...maybe 14,000 people (give or take a couple thousand either way). I have no idea if they even put on rock concerts there anymore.

Thread Information